PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign C and WR

OpIv37
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-sign-two-more-future-free-agents/59948a7a-6333-49e7-9683-f54eac6973cc

The good news: the Bills acknowledge that these are problem areas.
The bad news: these two are not likely to be the solution.

justasportsfan
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Meh, they were just brought in to make sure the workout machines will get some work and lubrication for the offseason.

madness
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Even more bad news... the talent level at those positions may have possibly gotten better with CFL players.

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
P.K. Sam was a hell of a WR at FSU.

OpIv37
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Yeah but he couldn't make it in his prior shot in the NFL. Lots of great college players turn out to be duds in the NFL.

And since he's from FSU, I hope Schonert is busy re-writing his playbook using lots of illustrations and monosyllabic words.

bigbub2352
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
PK Sam is interesting, his size 6ft 3 and 210lbs could be utlitzed in the redzone and STs probably camp fodder but maybe we are looking for cheap alternatives to what we got on the roster

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah but he couldn't make it in his prior shot in the NFL. Lots of great college players turn out to be duds in the NFL.

And since he's from FSU, I hope Schonert is busy re-writing his playbook using lots of illustrations and monosyllabic words.

Maybe they can pick up some Notre Dame guys too.

At least they will already know how to lose games in a creative fashion.

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM

He battled injuries and personal demons his career so far but that appears to be behind him.

Plus I grew up just down the road from this guy. I played against him in rec league basketball. He was a hell of a player and was a Super Southern recruity coming out of HS. Played S and WR in HS, was a star at both.

50 catches, 735 yards, and 5 TDs at FSU in 03 was his career year.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
He battled injuries and personal demons his career so far but that appears to be behind him.

Plus I grew up just down the road from this guy. I played against him in rec league basketball. He was a hell of a player and was a Super Southern recruity coming out of HS. Played S and WR in HS, was a star at both.

50 catches, 735 yards, and 5 TDs at FSU in 03 was his career year.

But, as I recall, he fits in well with our midget WRs and does not provide size, correct?

OpIv37
01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Maybe they can pick up some Notre Dame guys too.

At least they will already know how to lose games in a creative fashion.

You're giving Notre Dame too much credit. The only creative losses they've had the last two years were Syracuse this year and Navy last year. In the rest of the losses, they just flat out got beat.

That won't work here in Buffalo. The Bills need to find players who can hang in there for most of the game, then rip your heart out by doing something utterly stupid in the dying seconds. Anything else is too boring.

cocamide
01-27-2009, 11:44 AM

I would never try to defend FSU or anything else in Tallahassee, but you must've forgot about Myron Rolle

cocamide
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
You're giving Notre Dame too much credit. The only creative losses they've had the last two years were Syracuse this year and Navy last year. In the rest of the losses, they just flat out got beat.

That won't work here in Buffalo. The Bills need to find players who can hang in there for most of the game, then rip your heart out by doing something utterly stupid in the dying seconds. Anything else is too boring.

That's one good thing about the Bills. They teach us humility.

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 11:57 AM
But, as I recall, he fits in well with our midget WRs and does not provide size, correct?

No he's 6'3, 210, has a great NFL WR body. If he is healthy and mentally stable then that could mean good things. He actually played well in the CFL this season.

6 games, 36 catches, 499 yards, and 3 TD

I like the signing alot and I think he could challenge some players.

justasportsfan
01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
No he's 6'3, 210, has a great NFL WR body. If he is healthy and mentally stable then that could mean good things. He actually played well in the CFL this season.

6 games, 36 catches, 499 yards, and 3 TD

I like the signing alot and I think he could challenge some players.
we'll just ruin his career.

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
we'll just ruin his career.

What career? He's been bounced around his entire career thus far. This is like a last shot for him.

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I liked Marvin Phillip coming out for the 2006 draft. Two years and still on a practice squad....I can't pick out O-linemen....just like the bills' front office.

bigbub2352
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
PK sam and phillop cant do any worse then some of the depth players we got anyway so we have to be happy at the very least that we are making A move and not re-signing bums like Fowler and Preston, maybe Sam can improve production numbers at the WR position since Jenkins did nothing

jamze132
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I liked Marvin Phillip coming out for the 2006 draft. Two years and still on a practice squad....I can't pick out O-linemen....just like the bills' front office.
If we was on someone else's practice squad last year, he'll probably be a starter on our team this year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I will hold my judgment, Freddy Jackson was once camp fodder.

OpIv37
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I will hold my judgment, Freddy Jackson was once camp fodder.

You're using the exception to prove the rule. 99% of presumed camp fodder ends up being actual camp fodder.

I know, I know- here come all the same old arguments: "They need camp fodder so they might as well take a shot," "Andre Reed was a 12th round draft pick, Fred Jackson, Mark Warner, Jake Delhomme, Jason Peters did it, so maybe these guys can too," "You always think these things can happen to other teams but not to the Bills."

The difference is that other teams have real plans and they don't count on finding diamonds in the rough- so when they find one, it's a significant boost. Buffalo is constantly looking through the rough HOPING to find a diamond rather than trying to fill holes the traditional way.

TigerJ
01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at this point in time the only free agents the Bills can sign are those who were not under contract to an NFL team at the end of the 2008 season. That means the only guys available to sign are those for whom making the team and having an impact is a long shot. So while I don't expect these guys to do much of anything with the Bills, it is premature to criticize the Bills for a failure to sign a name free agent in the 2009 offseason.

superbills
01-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at this point in time the only free agents the Bills can sign are those who were not under contract to an NFL team at the end of the 2008 season. That means the only guys available to sign are those for whom making the team and having an impact is a long shot. So while I don't expect these guys to do much of anything with the Bills, it is premature to criticize the Bills for a failure to sign a name free agent in the 2009 offseason.

Well, I don't think anyone is criticizing the Bills. As DraftBoy pointed out the PK Sam signing could be a good move as he has ability and I think we're all in agreement that it's hard to do worse at center, so Phillip is at least worth a look. I think the (not entirely unfounded) worry among some is that the front office will look less at these positions as areas of concern and maybe not go after bigger names as aggressively as they should. We know this front office loves to bungle even the obvious at times, so it should stand to reason that events such as this are met with at least marginal skepticism.

SabreEleven
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM

and teach through a couple of telephones separated by a piece of Plexiglas.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
You're using the exception to prove the rule. 99% of presumed camp fodder ends up being actual camp fodder.

I know, I know- here come all the same old arguments: "They need camp fodder so they might as well take a shot," "Andre Reed was a 12th round draft pick, Fred Jackson, Mark Warner, Jake Delhomme, Jason Peters did it, so maybe these guys can too," "You always think these things can happen to other teams but not to the Bills."

The difference is that other teams have real plans and they don't count on finding diamonds in the rough- so when they find one, it's a significant boost. Buffalo is constantly looking through the rough HOPING to find a diamond rather than trying to fill holes the traditional way.

I disagree.

Every team signs players like this at this time of year. And then they sign traditional FAs too, including the Bills.

The Bills have just sucked at it. But they have tried to fill holes the traditional way.

OpIv37
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM

you are right- the Bills (and every other NFL team, for that matter) are very limited in what they can do until the official start of FA. However, it seems like every year the Bills grab some guys in FA at this time, and most of them get cut before mini-camp (think Teyo Johnson). I guess it can't hurt to take a look at them, but it never really seems to help either.

As far as going after big names- no, the Bills can't do that yet, but the problem is that because of this team's history, some of us see moves like this and think, "uh-oh, this guy and Duke Preston might be our centers for next season."

patmoran2006
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
If these were Feb 27th at 12:01 signings I'd be a bit worried.

BILLSROCK1212
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
P.K. Sam's the man!!

jimbohastle51
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM

he has had some success as a returner in the NFL as well.

OpIv37
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I disagree.

Every team signs players like this at this time of year. And then they sign traditional FAs too, including the Bills.

The Bills have just sucked at it. But they have tried to fill holes the traditional way.

the problem is that the Bills will address some needs via the draft or "real" FA's, but they continue to address some needs via bargain basement FA's. They did it last year with TE- Courtney Anderson and Teyo Johnson.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-27-2009, 05:54 PM

It is fine to point at reasons why this team is where it is, but an attempt to bring in two guys for what comes down to a try out in training camp isn't that big of a deal to me. These guys cost the team nothing nor do I believe they think these guys are the answer that the team looks for. I am not going to sit here and say these guys are worthless because they are what they are, if they contribute to this team next year, great, if not - oh well.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
ST ers maybe if not cut

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
the problem is that the Bills will address some needs via the draft or "real" FA's, but they continue to address some needs via bargain basement FA's. They did it last year with TE- Courtney Anderson and Teyo Johnson.

And they also tried to solve TE with Royal a few years ago. They failed miserably, but they did go out and give a guy money to fill the position.

Mike13
01-27-2009, 09:12 PM
PK Sam is still in the league?

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
PK Sam is still in the league?

Now he is.

lukabrossi
01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
it's a band-aid for a gaping chest wound............smoke and mirrors, my friends.

PECKERWOOD
01-27-2009, 10:50 PM
And they also tried to solve TE with Royal a few years ago. They failed miserably, but they did go out and give a guy money to fill the position.

While your statement maybe true, I still don't view it as a pro. The Bills are full of players who have held our cash to cap salary hostage. Dockery, Kelsay, Schobel and Royal are prime examples. I just don't understand why we don't overpay a couple million to get players like Steinbach and Hutchinson to come here. We are essentially overpaying atleast 2 million anyways by bringing in subpar talent at the price of elite talent in the 1st place.

clumping platelets
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Fred Jackson was one of these types of players

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2009, 05:58 AM
While your statement maybe true, I still don't view it as a pro. The Bills are full of players who have held our cash to cap salary hostage. Dockery, Kelsay, Schobel and Royal are prime examples. I just don't understand why we don't overpay a couple million to get players like Steinbach and Hutchinson to come here. We are essentially overpaying atleast 2 million anyways by bringing in subpar talent at the price of elite talent in the 1st place.

I did not say it was a pro, I am just disputing the claim that they do not sign "real" FAs to try and address positions.

X-Era
01-28-2009, 06:10 AM

I was a Marvin Philip fan before the draft if you recall... But that's not saying much since he hasn't done anything.

Whats even more sad is that we may rely on both to be starters due to injury, that seems to be our method lately.

DraftBoy
01-28-2009, 07:08 AM
I was a Marvin Philip fan before the draft if you recall... But that's not saying much since he hasn't done anything.

Whats even more sad is that we may rely on both to be starters due to injury, that seems to be our method lately.
I dont think either is being relied on at all. These are two guys who were very successful college players who have had rough starts to their NFL careers. Keep in mind PK Sam is only 25 years old now, so he is from over the hill and at his size, if he can return to his former skill level (which he showed signs of in the CFL) then he could be a very good pickup.

Phillip just needs to show more consistency, I think both moves were wise and sound less like the Bills that we all know and love.

DraftBoy
01-28-2009, 07:09 AM
it's a band-aid for a gaping chest wound............smoke and mirrors, my friends.

How can you say that? Nobody expects Phillips or Sam to even make the team, how is this smoke and mirrors?

Oaf
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I was intrigued with Sam when he came out. This is like his 4th or 5th team, so it looks like they haven't seen anything in him yet. Nice to see we signed a center.

blackonyx89
01-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I was intrigued with Sam when he came out. This is like his 4th or 5th team, so it looks like they haven't seen anything in him yet. Nice to see we signed a center.

I'm surprised nobody posted this PK Sam highlight. He looks like he might be better in the red zone than Hardy. I hope so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKWk8TvsAbQ&feature=related

Marvelous
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
My little brother & cousin each had a class with PK Sam at FSU. I remember the constant joke about how the dude could barely read & how rediculous it was that a ****** like that was in the same classes as kids who worked sooo hard to get there...

-My brother believed he stuggled with basic reading..

--fodder!

blackonyx89
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
My little brother & cousin each had a class with PK Sam at FSU. I remember the constant joke about how the dude could barely read & how rediculous it was that a ****** like that was in the same classes as kids who worked sooo hard to get there...

-My brother believed he stuggled with basic reading..

--fodder!

It's spelled ridiculous. Did you cheat off of him? LOL!

:laughing:

psubills62
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Camp bodies. If they surprise and make the team, they could provide depth.

B-DON
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Why does everyone always bring up the smart talk? who really cares how good he can read or what his grades were? his job is playing football not giving speeches

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Common spelling mistake, actually probably the most misspelled word that I've ever seen on message boards.

Marvelous
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM

:lol:

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Common spelling mistake, actually probably the most misspelled word that I've ever seen on message boards.

BILLSZONE dictionary - rediculous

ticatfan
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
PK might help, but as I see here ,you have CFL tag on you and people here just flick you off. I would love to see a game between the bills and the Grey cup champ, I doubt if the bills could even win that game, like the last time you played a CFL team.