PDA

View Full Version : good article on concussions

Tatonka
01-27-2009, 01:34 PM
link (http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/athlete.brains/index.html)

"What's been surprising is that it's so extensive," said Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, and co-director of the CSTE. "It's throughout the brain, not just on the superficial aspects of the brain, but it's deep inside."

CSTE studies reveal brown tangles flecked throughout the brain tissue of former NFL players who died young -- some as early as their 30s or 40s.

McKee, who also studies Alzheimer's disease, says the tangles closely resemble what might be found in the brain of an 80-year-old with dementia.

Tatonka
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
i would be really interested to hear more from trent on his concussion.. because i can say that in 20 years of watching almost every bills game played, i have never in my life seen such a DRASTIC change in a player. he just absolutely could not do the things that he really excelled at previously at all. it was obviously extremely frustrating to watch, but i just feel like maybe there was something else to it.. something more than confidence or an understanding of the game.

Buffalogic
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I read that earlier today. Scary to think what is going to happen to most of these player 30 years after retirement.

VeggieMan14
01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Concussions hurt

Ingtar33
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
i would be really interested to hear more from trent on his concussion.. because i can say that in 20 years of watching almost every bills game played, i have never in my life seen such a DRASTIC change in a player. he just absolutely could not do the things that he really excelled at previously at all. it was obviously extremely frustrating to watch, but i just feel like maybe there was something else to it.. something more than confidence or an understanding of the game.

do you remember big ben's 2006 season?

He had a massive concussion in a motorcycle accident, and then had his worse season in his career.

Look at Kurt Warner, he had a couple of concussions and you could say it sidelined his career for 5 years, before he got going again in AZ.

ddaryl
01-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Well I do believe the concussion definitely hurt Trent mid season, but by the end of the year he was looking himself again.

People say Trent is injury proned, but he has taken some unblocked shots that still make me cringe. I know I wouldn't have gotten up after a couple of those hits. Which strengthens the argument for better OL protection investment

Night Train
01-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Makes you wonder if Steve Young & Troy Aikman will have trouble putting together sentences in 10 years. They were knocked out so many times, I lost count.

Hmm..maybe I have a concussion.

DraftBoy
01-28-2009, 07:35 AM
do you remember big ben's 2006 season?

He had a massive concussion in a motorcycle accident, and then had his worse season in his career.

Look at Kurt Warner, he had a couple of concussions and you could say it sidelined his career for 5 years, before he got going again in AZ.

The question can Trent bounce back like Ben did or will it take him more than a year. Its not just the concussion symptons that you have to worry about. Once you take a shot like that nobody wants to take it again and last year on a number of occasions Trent played scared out there. If he can't get over taking a shot then he will never be the QB he was before the concussion.

yordad
01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
I think people are over rating TEs concussion. How many times have you seen a QB bounce right back?

Tatonka
01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
i think it is a fact that we have clearly UNDERESTIMATED concussions historically.

but you could be right.. it might not be the concussion as much as it is just a psychological thing.. the shot he took looked as vicious as any shot i have seen on a qb.. wilson drove his helmet through trents chin.. it was brutal.

VeggieMan14
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I think people are over rating TEs concussion. How many times have you seen a QB bounce right back?It is very easy to bounce right back from a concussion and think you are ready to play but if you come back too early it has some serious effects on your ability to make decisions and react

yordad
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
It is very easy to bounce right back from a concussion and think you are ready to play but if you come back too early it has some serious effects on your ability to make decisions and reactYou guys act like your worried physical effects will last years. Come on. It is like some of you are lining up excuses for the dude already.

VeggieMan14
01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
You guys act like your worried physical effects will last years. Come on. It is like some of you are lining up excuses for the dude already.thats not what i am saying i am saying that it could have possibly affected trents play last year

mybills
01-30-2009, 02:10 PM
McKee, who also studies Alzheimer's disease, says the tangles closely resemble what might be found in the brain of an 80-year-old with dementia.

Trent only had one. He's so not comparable to this.

Yet.

yordad
01-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Edwards said the concussion was no factor in the four-game losing streak after the Chargers game.
“No, not at all,” he said. “I felt fine a week later. People want to find something to write about, something to talk about. I was perfectly fine after the week-long break I took.”

I thought that was worth putting here. link (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/565527.html)

mybills
02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
:gag:

Tatonka
02-01-2009, 10:54 AM
so i guess trent really has no excuse for his piss poor play other than he regressed and embarrassed the team on multiple occassions with his pathetic perfomances.

mybills
02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
correct.
we have to wait till the new season to see if it was a fluke.