PDA

View Full Version : Where do we need depth?

TypicalBill
05-10-2003, 07:20 AM
with the draft over and our depth chart set... i think we still need depth on the offensive line. We need to get Conaty back and sign someone after June 1st who has starting experience and would be quality depth. im not comfortable with Ben Sobieski as a backup guard. He's not proven and was injured a lot during his college career.

If we could find a starting FS who gets cut because of salary cap issues, i wouldn't mind taking a look at him, but not if he asks for too much. Im not sold on Reese either, he was cut because Denver was looking for an upgrade and not because of salary cap issues (although i think he would make a good backup)

what im saying is, i think our defensive backfield should look like this.

SS Wire (Prioleau)

FS Starter (Reese)

Thoughts?

DraftBoy
05-10-2003, 09:04 AM
We also need LB, and WR depth.

HenryRules
05-10-2003, 10:26 AM
WR depth is the most pressing need I think. I don't like Bobby Shaw as our 3rd WR and everyone else should be thankful they're receiving NFL pay.

Interior OL would be problem #2 in my books. I don't know anything about backup OLmen throughout the NFL, so I don't know the potential signings, but if we get a decent C (no I don't think Conaty fits into this category - and judging by the interest shown in him, neither do the GMs in the NFL), I think we can make do letting Pucillo get some reps and see if he can work. I don't think guard is an ultra-important position on the line, and I'd rather have Pucillo who has taken some reps in practice last year with the squad and may have some upside be given the work at backup guard than a free agent who has basically peaked at being a backup guard. But center is a huge need for this team ... if Jennings ends up being our backup center, an injury to teague will cause at least 2 (JJ at C and MP at LT) and possibly 3 (JJ at C, MW at LT, MP at RT) people to be at new positions on the OL. OL requires too much chemistry to let that situation develop.

LB depth is up there as well as aside from Spoon, I don't think any of our backups have shown that they could be decent starters for a game or 2. And Spoon is coming back from an injury that caused him to sit out for an entire season, so I wonder how good he'll be able to fight off blockers using that arm of his. As it now stands, our LBs are the best starters on our D IMO, so I think we need better backups behind them or else an injury to Spikes, Fletcher, or Posey could cause us to drastically change our game plans from game-to-game.

Again I agree with TB in that I'd like one more veteran safety that is a more traditional-style FS for situations that call for a ballhawk that can play centerfield. I don't think he necessarily would have to be starter quality, although that would be nice, but someone we could use on 3rd and long situations.

QB depth is something else that I would have liked us to upgrade, but only during the draft. AVP and Bledsoe are QBs with a completely different style and succeed in different schemes. Travis Brown I really have no faith in whatsoever, the staff and front office also seem to be disappointed in his progression. I was hoping during the draft that we'd get a QB with a brighter future, ideally one that could succeed in a Bledsoe-style offense with deep throws, but not a necessity. AVP's classy style and locker room presence prohibit us from cutting him to sign a FA IMO, but I was hoping we could draft someone who would unseat him as #2 before next season so that we could let AVP go before 2004.

Tatonka
05-10-2003, 11:54 AM
i dont think there is any way at all that we need LB depth..

polk and spoon are good LBs

crowell and haggan will make the team

Stewie
05-10-2003, 12:22 PM
We need a true #2... I hope Reed is ready but even if Reed does step up, we lose quality at both the #2 WR and #3 WR positions from last year (comparing Peerless to Reed and Reed to his replacement).

Interior OL too.. Why hasn't any team signed Mo Collins from Oakland? He's a good former 1st rounder, and all he did was start for the best offense last year. I think he'd be an upgrade at the RG spot.

colin
05-10-2003, 12:47 PM
I am certain we are gonna pick up a quality WR in June.

Bert102176
05-10-2003, 12:50 PM
wish we still had Reggie Germany.

TypicalBill
05-10-2003, 12:54 PM
don't we still have Germany? i thought he was on IR last season? :huh:

Bert102176
05-10-2003, 01:08 PM
we cut Germany due to a failed physical , which I think was stupid cause they gave him the physical before he was all healed.

TypicalBill
05-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
we cut Germany due to a failed physical , which I think was stupid cause they gave him the physical before he was all healed.

aah, thanks.

thats unfortunate, i remember people talking about his potential and that he looked promising in his rookie year.

oh well, we have Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Aiken as the top 4... we dont need a superstar, all we need to to is add a veteran with some experience after June first...i dont think its as big a need as other positions..

I've read some excellent reviews on Aiken.. All the draft sites rate him mid 2nd to mid 3rd round so i think we got a steal.. He also was the MVP of the senior bowl playing against the top corners in the college game.. He was awesome because he had a real QB throwing to him (unlike what he had in his college team). Some of the best college players played in the senior bowl. He's got great size too which will make him a favourite target for Drew in 3rd downs and red zone possesions. IMO he will win the 3rd spot.

ublinkwescore
05-10-2003, 05:22 PM
We should bring back Jeremy McDaniel - he's better then Charles Johnson hands down.

He'd be #3 quality if he could stay healthy.

The_Philster
05-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Jeremy is playing for the Indiana Firebirds of the Arena Football League. I remember he played pretty well the one year, got hurt, and got cut. I'd love to see him back. He worked pretty hard at trying to get the West Coast offense figured out...and Gilbride's schemes should be simpler to learn.

Doc
05-10-2003, 10:03 PM
First of all, depth is hard to come-by these days. No team has a lot of depth. Second of all, the only place the Bills are truly thin is at WR, because after Shaw it's a bunch of unproven (although some are promising) guys and Charles Johnson who I've written-off as a WR and have pencilled-in as a lockerroom leader. Speaking of Shaw, what's wrong with him as the #3 WR? Last year he produced what Reed did, and I think he could easily duplicate what Reed did as a rookie 3rd WR (not saying that Shaw is as good as Reed will be, but that an experienced Shaw is at least as good as a rookie, even one as promising as Reed). As for O-line depth, Marcus Price is a great backup for either OT spot and can probably play both guard spots as well. I'd like to see Conaty return, and I believe he will, which would provide good depth at the one remaining spot not covered by Price. If the Bills are missing more than 2 starters on the O-line, they're hurting anyway and that much depth is almost impossible to find. Last of all WRT Reese, he signed a 1-year deal with the Broncos, who drafted a FS (Sam Brandon) high in the 2002 draft. They had cap problems and have allocated a good chunk of change to Brandon, so that's why Reese was allowed to walk. While Reese might not be great, he'll be an upgrade to Prioleau IMHO.

BillsOwnAll
05-11-2003, 11:38 AM
LB defitnly we need to stop all running mostgames are lost because they cant stop the run theres always execeptions though some are lost in the air but mostly the little plays like 10-15 yard gains a run//screen pass. we need to stop the damn screen!!! im sick of that.

justasportsfan
05-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
LB defitnly we need to stop all running mostgames are lost because they cant stop the run theres always execeptions though some are lost in the air but mostly the little plays like 10-15 yard gains a run//screen pass. we need to stop the damn screen!!! im sick of that.

We still have Spoon and Wire. I think wr. If Moulds eve went down (I hope not) , cb's will have a field day. I doubt if Reed commands a double team.

Bert102176
05-11-2003, 06:22 PM
I just saw on ESPN that Cleveland took back their offer to Jamir Miller he's a very good LB I know we got Posey but Posey isn'treally proven. Miller was injured last year but is proven.

TypicalBill
05-12-2003, 06:21 AM
isn't Miller a MLB?

R. Rich
05-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I just saw on ESPN that Cleveland took back their offer to Jamir Miller he's a very good LB I know we got Posey but Posey isn'treally proven. Miller was injured last year but is proven.

Miller was a STARTER for the Browns; why would he go from being a starter to being a backup unless it was worth his while financially? I don't think he'd come here to play SLB, especially with Posey here. Remember, Posey was the first free agent signed this offseason. That must mean that they were sold on him. He's young, has a lot of athleticism, and is coming off a pretty good year. I really don't think LB is a pressing need considering they have their starters in Posey, Fletcher, and Spikes and have backups in Haggan, Crowell, Spoon, and Polk.

The Natrix
05-12-2003, 09:19 AM
I agree. There is already depth at FS, now a real starter needs to be added.

When Bledsoe is your QB, OL depth is always a good idea.

Besides that, I think this team is set

SABURZFAN
05-12-2003, 09:35 AM
the OL desparately needs depth.especially at C.

R. Rich
05-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
the OL desparately needs depth.especially at C.

I agree we could use more depth on the OL, especially if we lose Conaty. So far, there haven't been any takers on the free agent market for him, have there? If he comes back, then we have a seasoned player with starting experience to back up Teague. If not, then we'd better find a solid backup in case of injury.

WG
05-12-2003, 10:45 AM
We need Conaty sorely. Otherwise we'll have to sign a 6/1 guy. I think we need one even if we do sign Conaty. I'm not sure only 2 OL backups w/ experience are adequate. No one else we have has any experience. Drew would get pummeled and pressured.

IMO out top 3 depth needs are:

OL, WR, and LB in that order.

I don't think anyone is prepared to see Shaw in there starting should Moulds or Reed go down. If they both stay fully healthy thru 16, then we're all set. If not, the way we're now situated, we're screwed if we want to have a high-caliber balanced O.

OL is the biggest need area. We're coming off of a virtually unprecented season in which OL injuries were inconsequential. However, that was an anomaly and very unlikely. Even w/ Price, we need some guys who can simply come in and spell some of our OL-men effectively. As I've pointed out, we have no experienced players outside of Price unless Conaty signs. I think 8 isn't unreasonable to have, particularly since we have the luxury of being able to get one off of 6/1 cuts.

LB: First of all, and this being no secret, I'm not sold on Posey at all. Polk and the others are nothing short of average either. So we may not even have a full compliment at starters until we all actually see Posey play in a regular season game and are sold that he will continue his level of play from last season. If not, Spoon just doesn't have the speed to be stellar on the outside. He's not even exceptional on the inside. So we'd not only have depth problems from a quantity standpoint, but we'd also have some from a logistical standpoint too. OLB depth is very, very weak. All we have is guys who let the D fall apart after Cowart was hurt two seasons ago. So to expect more this year would be baseless.

Our depth in the secondary will be fine. If anything, it's a starter at the two S positions that we need. But depth we have plenty of. I see PP starting at FS anyway. I still like Wire at SS.

DL we're good at for depth. We had plenty of depth last year. In fact, it was starting for us. So we're fine for DL depth. Again, I still think we lack a DE starter now. McKenzie, Kelsay, Denney, Irons, until proven, are and have been of depth-caliber, but not starting caliber. Unless Jones pans out, and that's looking more and more dubious by the week now based on his injury "progress."

We're fine at QB. Unlike some, I can't wait to see Brown play if in fact it comes down to that. If he continues to play as he did in Miami w/ no offense around him and no OL, then he may very well be our L/T solution at QB. Van Pelt, if it were up to me, he'd be gone by now.

We have RBs comin' outta our ears! Our TE situation will be fine too. I think many will be amazed at how good Moore is.

WG
05-12-2003, 10:46 AM
STs will be huge this year. I have no idea how they'll play. Maybe the rookies impact will be there. I cetainly don't see it being anywhere else.

The Natrix
05-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Travis Brown is an adequate 3rd stringer, if that. The only time I hope to see him is if the Bills are up 50-2.

WG
05-12-2003, 11:07 AM
OK.

Can you please tell me the rest of the team's future too?

Thanks! BTW, where do you go to get these skills where you know everything based on no information?

I'd like to get in on the act...

:D

How's Posey gonna play this year? What will his stats be please?

Also, how about Reed?

How will McGahee respond and play in the NFL? BTW, make sure you send the FO this info!

BillsNYC
05-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Jeremy is playing for the Indiana Firebirds of the Arena Football League. I remember he played pretty well the one year, got hurt, and got cut. I'd love to see him back. He worked pretty hard at trying to get the West Coast offense figured out...and Gilbride's schemes should be simpler to learn.

yup...i think we should bring him back...he made some big plays that one year....we need another playmaking WR...:bf1:

The Natrix
05-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Can you please tell me the rest of the team's future too?

I can't, but you sure can

i.e. Moore will amaze, Brown L/T solution, Jones will not recover, Fletcher is no good etc...

The Natrix
05-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Is Jeremy putting up good numbers in Indiana?

WG
05-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

I can't, but you sure can

i.e. Moore will amaze, Brown L/T solution, Jones will not recover, Fletcher is no good etc...

Actually, to the contrary. Those are only predictions as openly stated by me.

It's you who's apparently already dismissed them categorically as factual non-truths as your statement attests to!

Again, where do you get these futuristic insights?

That's some power there Natrix! Worth a LOT of money, eh!

The_Philster
05-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Is Jeremy putting up good numbers in Indiana?

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G
MCDANIEL, Jerem 9 63 666 10.6 10 37 74.0

KICK RETURNS No. Yds Avg TD Long
MCDANIEL, Jerem 7 27 3.9 0 10

2nd leading receiver on the team after "Touchdown" Eddie Brown

DraftBoy
05-12-2003, 06:45 PM
Jeremy McDaniel sucks! Leave his no talent butt in Indiana where it belongs!