PDA

View Full Version : Bruce to be cut June 1?

Stewie
05-10-2003, 08:28 AM
From profootballtalk.com:

"A league source tells us that, despite recent indications that defensive end Bruce Smith will return for another season, the Redskins might part ways with him after June 1.

According to the source, the Redskins had grown impatient with Smith's wishy-washy approach to his future in D.C. A recent DUI charge could prove to be the last straw, despite the surgical attachment of owner Dan Snyder's lips to Bruce's booty.

Even if Smith goes, someone else surely will give him a chance to break Reggie White's all-time record with only 3 more sacks. We'd like to see Smith cap his career -- and take the record -- with one more season back in Buffalo, where the Bills suddenly look like one of the better teams in the conference."

I would LOVE to see bruce back in here to break the record... I think it could happen if he signs for the minimum.. It might also guarantee he goes into the hall as a Bill...

Steve-Mo
05-10-2003, 08:30 AM
How many more does he need?

Aero II
05-10-2003, 08:31 AM

Steve-Mo
05-10-2003, 08:35 AM
He will get it then

Stewie
05-10-2003, 08:36 AM
No doubt he will get it, the question is what team will he get it for??

BillsFanInMass
05-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Yes i would like to see him sign with the bills and play 2 more years that would be one of the final pieces to make Bills D great.

Mr. Miyagi
05-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Come on home Brucy!!!

TacklingDummy
05-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Sad thing is if Bruce comes back to Buffalo he would once again be the best DE we have at age 40.

Throne Logic
05-10-2003, 11:28 AM
What Bruce could offer is experience. He could certainly help the development of the young DE's currently on the team. He wouldn't be much of a force as a player, but he'd command at least some attention and he'd most likely get his 3 sacks to break the record.

Ebenezer
05-10-2003, 11:51 AM
I'd put up with him for one season...but at $1 mil or less...nothing more...I think minimum for a vet of his tenure is $950,000.

Stewie
05-10-2003, 12:15 PM
but he should count less than that against the cap, right? Not that cap is a huge issue but...

Sign him to minimum + incentives....

LABillsFan
05-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Is Bruce really the type to help young players out? His wishy washyness seems to mirror his actions when he was a disgruntled Bill. I just don't see any change in Bruce. It would be nice to see him break the sack record as a Bill, but I really don't think he is the answer to any problem the Bills may have on the DL. I think he would be more of a distraction than anything else.

Stewie
05-10-2003, 12:23 PM
He'd get the crowd fired up big time whenever he gets a sack at home.. BRUUUUUCE

TypicalBill
05-10-2003, 12:49 PM
i think a one year deal for the minimum would be nice.

TypicalBill
05-10-2003, 12:52 PM
i honestly think that he would accept the Bills offer, if we do offer... he wouldn't get much more $ from any other team + with our DE's, he'll get some playing time and what better way to end your career? finish where you started! BRUUUUUCE!!!

The_Philster
05-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Bring him home for a year at minimum

BRUCE!!!

lordofgun
05-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Is this the same league source that told them the McGahee deal was almost done? They're not even starting working out a deal until July.

jchild178
05-11-2003, 12:11 AM
i agree i'de like to see him here as well to complete his career as a Bill

BillsOwnAll
05-11-2003, 11:35 AM
bruce will do anything to come back to BLO .

casdhf
05-12-2003, 09:47 AM
I doubt it. I still think he's pissed.

BillsNYC
05-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by paulB
Not that cap is a huge issue but...

doesn't it feel great to say that??? :D

WG
05-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Funny, the same people who are asking for Bruce to come here would be the same ones screaming that he shouldn't start after week 3 or 4.

He's washed up. If the Skins had been prudent, he would have been cut last June 1st. Last season he was slow and overpowered. Not a good combo for a DE. On a good day he's average these days, below overall. It's a marvel that he's even capable of starting in the NFL, even if only for a handful of teams, but that doesn't mean he's good anymore. And in fact, he's not!

Bruce had his day. Instead of stringing out a career to beat White's sack record which was achieved in 15 games, in 19, Bruce should show some class and simply retire. If White were behind him, I'd be quite sure that he wouldn't be trying to play elsewhere just to get 3 or 4 sacks.

He had his heyday and career, but now it's over Bruce. I'd rather see Kelsay and Schobel on our ends than Bruce. We don't need the disruption in chemistry and frankly, I don't know how loudly I'm gonna stand up and shout when it takes Bruce 4 games to log a sack.

Let him pursue his record elsewhere.

WG
05-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by jchild178
i agree i'de like to see him here as well to complete his career as a Bill

I don't really care where he finishes his career. But it's difficult for me to warm up to the idea when he was leading this spite-filled charge by him, Thurman, and Reed when they left. They copped their little tudes.

Reed's cost him that same season. Thurman just got hurt and I'm sure regretted ever leaving too even if only in hindsight. Bruce didn't exactly leave Buffalo graciously. Why should we embrace that type of behavior? I don't hate him, in fact I like him. But ya gotta have some more class and grace if you expect to leave and come back to retire. He was a nuisance and an instigator in trying to make the franchise look bad, intentionally.

If he did come back and retire, I couldn't care if there was an on-the-field ceremony. In fact, I'd wish they'd just do it this offseason. There outta be a rule that you aren't allowed to retire for a team if you haven't played for them within 2 or 3 years.

I can see that even if Thurman had an OK season for one year in Miami, that he would want to retire in Buffalo. But these guys often create ill-will towards their teams in their own self interests, and then expect the fans to fully embrace them when they come back to retire. Well, my memory isn't that short. There was just a tad bit too much ill-will and ungraciousness for me to give a crap whether Bruce comes back to retire w/ us. Put his name up on the wall and bring him in when that happens. That's it though.

He's a Skin and has been for 3, going on 4, seasons. He got his biggest contract ever from them too. Let him retire a Skin in the state that he considers his own home, VA.

Buffalofan
05-12-2003, 11:41 AM
I agree with Wys .. Bruce WAS a great player but his attitude toward the team and fans left a lot to be desired. I met the guy once outside the stadium and he was a complete ass. I know these guys get bothered all the time by fans but hey, thats the life they chose ! While part of me would love to see him back and retire a Bill I will not lose any sleep if it doesnt happen. Anyway, I fully expect him to stay with the rest of the overpaid wanna-bees in Washington !

Thanks Wys !!

WG
05-12-2003, 11:49 AM
No!

Thank you! :D

Throne Logic
05-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Here's my problem: Bruce was in Buffalo for a longer tenure than anyone who is on the current roster is likely to be. He's one of those core players that we became attached to over the long duration. I don't feel that sort of attachment toward anyone on the current team, 'cuz they just haven't been here long enough and/or I just don't expect them to stick around.

Broke my heart when the SB team's core was gutted. I still feel I'm a bigger fan of individual players like Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Bruce, Talley, etc. than I am of any one player on the current team. Moulds and Big Pat are the only ones that even come close.

So, if Bruce came back, regardless of how he left. I'd be quite happy to have him back, even as a depth addition. He provided plenty of good memories for all of us. It would be nice if he finished in Buffalo

Color me sentimental.

TedMock
05-12-2003, 12:23 PM
I see both points. I too was pissed that Bruce and the boys handled things the way they did and right now I don't really care if he retires a Bill. On the otherhand, they weren't even given a phone call. I remember Thurm saying he was at home and saw it on SportsCenter that they'd been cut. Considering what those 3 did for the organization they should've bee treated differently. I have both fond memories as well as irritations when I think of it. Like I said, right now I could care less but if Bruce retires a Bill and gets that record breaking sack I'll be "booing...oh wait they're saying Bruce" with everyone else and damn happy for him. I still say Reggie White is the better overall DE but I also say Reggie played with great linemates in Philly. Bruce didn't have that luxury until the end. If he had Ted and Phil the whole time who knows what he'd have done.

SoCalBillsFan
05-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Those guys got hosed. Yes, the reacted badly, but wouldn't you? THurman Thomas found out he was being released on TV! TV! After leading the team to 4 super bowls those guys were treated so badly its no wonder they reacted poorly. When a guy gives that much to a franchise, like Bruce, thurman, and andre did, you gotta love them even when they are upset to leave. Heck, I'm GLAD they were upset. It shows the liked it here. Better than guys now days who leave for money or just to go someplace else.

Demon
05-12-2003, 05:46 PM
I do not want Bruce Smith in Buffalo again. I want Marcus Jones to play without pressure becasue even if he stuggles early the LB and DT will back him up. Even a not 100% Jones is better then Bruce Smith at this age. I love Bruce, in fact i still have his poster in a Bills jersey of course (nailing Bledsoe actually) but lets not live in the past. This is a new team with a new future, a future that might result in a super bowl.

The only thing that the signing of Smith will do is slower the development of Aaron Schobel, who i think will have a break out season of like 10-12 sacks and Chris Kelsay. With Smith being a Bill, Kelsay will see VERY LITTLE playing time as a rookie, the less playing time he gets the more chance of him becoming a bust.

Smith was offered a deal when he left for Washington and he turned the deal down, now it's too bad. I don't want to hear BS like "he wont complain, he just will be happy to be back". In week 7 or so when he gets little playing time and has 0 sacks on the season you telling me hes not gonna complain for playing time???? Pleaaaaase.... i don't buy it.

THATHURMANATOR
05-12-2003, 08:29 PM
I think he could help in situational pass rush situations. I would bring him in if it were a vet min or close contract. He did have 9 sacks last year. Who would you rather have at that cost Mckenzie or Bruce Smith?? Thats a no brainer if you ask me.

madness
05-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Bruce was one of my favorite players and I would love to have him back. I think his experience could be an added value. And like thathurmanator said, he did have 9 sacks last year. The only problem would be his attitude. I don't want him screwing up the chemistry of this team.

The_Philster
05-12-2003, 08:35 PM
:welcome: madness23

I think he'd be an interesting addition to the team...would bring back some tradition as well as teach the younger players a few things...as long as he doesn't teach them to sit out training camp, we're fine. ;)

madness
05-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome Philster. The message board on the main site just isn't satisfying my appetite. :biggrin:

To tell the truth I would love to hear "Bruuuuuuuuce" atleast 3 more times.

The_Philster
05-12-2003, 08:49 PM
You came from the main site, huh? We've got a few guys who came over from there as well like 4thandLong, DIHARD2, and German.

As far as hearing (and saying) BRUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!! again, I'm with ya :up:

WG
05-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Here's my problem: Bruce was in Buffalo for a longer tenure than anyone who is on the current roster is likely to be. He's one of those core players that we became attached to over the long duration. I don't feel that sort of attachment toward anyone on the current team, 'cuz they just haven't been here long enough and/or I just don't expect them to stick around.

Broke my heart when the SB team's core was gutted. I still feel I'm a bigger fan of individual players like Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Bruce, Talley, etc. than I am of any one player on the current team. Moulds and Big Pat are the only ones that even come close.

So, if Bruce came back, regardless of how he left. I'd be quite happy to have him back, even as a depth addition. He provided plenty of good memories for all of us. It would be nice if he finished in Buffalo

Color me sentimental.

Welcome to the changed face of the NFL!

This is the way it's gonna be henceforth due to FAcy. The same can be said for many players in the twilights of long careers. That's the way it used to be until ~ the mid-90s or so. I don't think there are gonna be too many players who play 10+ seasons for one team anymore. Sure, there'll be some, but not many.

Just look at the Winfield situation for example. It's just not something that's likely to happen. Bringing Bruce back would create a situation in which the cons outweigh the pros. We don't need leaders as we have plenty now. Spikes will step up bigtime! Bruce's worth as a DE is past. I'd rather have Schobel lineup and quite honestly, Bruce is only as good as the rest of the guys we have on the roster.

We can argue this until the world ends, but Bruce was not good last year. Living in Washington I got to see him frequently and was completely unimpressed and last season only left me thinking, totally objectively BTW, that the Skins should have cut him prior to the season, especially with his salary.

Bruce can say what he wants about being in shape, etc. But there's no way on earth he's gonna come back to be anything other than mediocre and that will be on good days. IMO it would be bad for him to come here not only for our sakes as fans, but also for his. It would only be a matter of time that he would be replaced if he were to start, and in a million years, I cannot imagine him not whining if he doesn't start!

There are really no pros to bringing him here other than as you stated was your tie, namely nostalgia and emotional ties. That's not a good reason to bring Bruce back on a team that has a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl and one on which there really would be no fit for him. He's lost his speed and we have plenty of DEs in the mold of undersized players w/o speed such that we don't need another!

WG
05-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
Those guys got hosed. Yes, the reacted badly, but wouldn't you? THurman Thomas found out he was being released on TV! TV! After leading the team to 4 super bowls those guys were treated so badly its no wonder they reacted poorly. When a guy gives that much to a franchise, like Bruce, thurman, and andre did, you gotta love them even when they are upset to leave. Heck, I'm GLAD they were upset. It shows the liked it here. Better than guys now days who leave for money or just to go someplace else.

You guys have short memories. All three wouldn't play ball contract wise. Realize that they did get caught up in the inaugural years where salaries skyrocketed for the better players. I can fully understand that they felt they were worth more than they were getting offered.

Thurman and Reed wanted the world for past performance. That just doesn't happen and while it wasn't their fault that they got caught a bad place/time in NFL history CBA wise, but hey, it wasn't Butler's or the FO's fault either. What, were we supposed to pay those guys tons of bucks in the twilights of theirr careers.

Thurman and Reed both had openly stated that they wanted what was IMO way too much. Perhaps it was good for Thurm to have heard on TV after his totally unreasonable self-valuation. Reed was offered near $2M for that next season and turned it down to "test the waters. As a result, he got vet-min and was cut by one team, picked up by the Skins at Bruce's behest and was not used that year and never played again.

So who was unreasonable and who wasn't? Here's a clue, it wasn't the team. Players get paid for performance expected that season and following, not retroactively for years past.

Bruce's demands were outright enormous and frankly, I no longer saw a whole lot of "team" in him anymore. He had cried "unfair" one time to many in many of the fans' minds, mine included.

So before we start talking about how the team screwed them, I think some clarification is in order. Thurm and Reed screwed themselves. They both could have had very reasonable offers, too much IMO for Reed, right here in Buffalo, but they both snoffed any offers or suggested offers from the team. As to Bruce, his demands as I said were very, very high, and he wanted "past performance" money too. In any case, I could have seen keeping him for another season, but together they orchestrated their own little "screw the Bills" campaign.

So let's quit blaming the team for what they did!

Ingtar33
05-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I'd bring Bruce back... our biggest team weakness last year was the quality of D-Line backups for the rotation... as the roster stands right now, I'm uncomfortable with the depth at D-line (especially end) and would appreciate an honest to God backup for Schobel (who, as it stands now, is probably going to be backed up by Kelsay or McKenzie).

With Bruce back for Vet min, we'd have a proven backup for Schobel (heaven forbid he goes down with an injury), and a great D-Lineman to rotate in on passing downs. With Bruce in the mix you'd be assured of 6-8 sacks from the bench, and some proven depth for the team. Last year we were lucky with injuries, I doubt that will be the case this year.

Furthermore, Bruce was a great mentor for M.Wiley, and I think Denney, Schobel, and Kelsay could all benefit from his presence.

Last year I realized just how badly we needed that veteran presence, when Schobel was talking about learning pass rush secrets from Jennings… not a good sign that our Right End needed to go to our LT for pass rushing tips.

SoCalBillsFan
05-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Wys, I didn't deny that they asked for too much. But the way they were let go still stinks. Look what the charges did with Seau-let him know he wasn't worth the money, gave him a press conference, acknowleged what he had done for the franchise, and then sent him on his way. I would have much rather seen that. Yes, they over-valued themselves, but to find out you are being cut on TV? How hard is it to say, "thurman, we just can't meet your demands, we thank you for all you've done. but we have to let you go." not hard. That's what is upsetting. Im not upset we didn't keep them, i'm upset in how we treated them.

WG
05-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Reed was let go after the team offered him $1.8 M. What's wrong w/ that? Actually, he wasn't let go, he refused the team's offer. Thurman also snoffed at what the Bills would have offered. He already said he wouldn't play for that.

Smith didn't even have a contract if I'm not mistaken, but I can't remember. So sure, you can say that the way they got notified, Thurman that is, may have been wrong, but he had already begun the animosities, not the team.

Don't you remember, all three were in cahoots about dissing the team.

There was fault on both sides. It wasn't just the team.

SoCalBillsFan
05-14-2003, 03:47 AM
no it wasn't just the team, but they still got a raw deal. We'll agree to disagree on this one ;)

Demon
05-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Stop looking at history guys and look at the future.

New team, new coaches, new front offices...... no need to go back to the past.

SoCalBillsFan
05-14-2003, 01:22 PM
learn from the past and use it in the future demon ;)

Turf
05-14-2003, 01:34 PM
IMO Bruce, Thurman, and Andre stayed here too long. After 4 Super Bowl losses, the Bill's should have realized they were in their declining years, and traded them while they were at maximum value for minimal loss. They should have gotten new fresh talent and young faces in here for them. Much like bungling the Hasek deal.
That's what I like about TD. This guy looks ahead with a cold reality and sometimes makes hard unpopular choices, but the right ones that nobody wants to face or hear about.

WG
05-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Demon
Stop looking at history guys and look at the future.

New team, new coaches, new front offices...... no need to go back to the past.

AMEN Demon! And I cannot truly imagine TD even giving bringing Bruce back any consideration at all let alone anythingserious. He knows he's finished.

HenryRules
05-14-2003, 01:55 PM
The only way I think we should sign Bruce this offseason is if we do the same sort of thing that we did with Thurman and sign him for a day so that he can retire a Bill ... maybe do it during preseason so that he can walk on the field as a member of the Bills one last time (but that'd be during preseason and we all know that's when Bruce never showed up).

Stewie
05-14-2003, 03:43 PM
How is Bruce finished? He had more sacks last year than anyone currently on the Buffalo roster...