PDA

View Full Version : Bills hire Bob Sanders as D-Line coach

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
V-text.

Former defensive coordinator in Green Bay.

rcd333
01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
wow
i thought they'd just promote somebody

zone
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
DC to DL coach is a pretty big step down.

mchurchfie
01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
DC to DL coach is a pretty big step down.
Or next step in line.:up:

psubills62
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Not a bad hire. He's done pretty well with defenses in general. While GB's defense was terrible this past year, it seemed to be mostly due to injuries. Every other year has been very good for him, and imo his defense was the main reason GB got to the NFC championship two years ago.

This offseason is starting out to be interesting with Nix and Sanders being hired. Makes me curious to see what they'll do in FA.

Michael82
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow...they must really be afraid of us. Still, they refuse to do press conferences. Come on Ralph, grow some balls!

Griz78
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I think this is a good move, the Pack got a lot out of guys like Jenkins, Kampman and Jolly on the D Line. Their defense was pretty good for the years he was the DC. I know their whole Defensive staff was canned but I think this is a good hire. He should be able to get our line going.

Seems like he wasn't hesitant in the to replace older guys with better younger guys (i.e. KGB and Grady Jackson)

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Wow...they must really be afraid of us. Still, they refuse to do press conferences. Come on Ralph, grow some balls!

Huh?

How mean teams hold a PC to announce the hiring of a position coach?

Michael82
01-28-2009, 01:56 PM
On a side note, I'm not sure what to think about the hire. He's taking a big demotion because the Packers defense was so bad this year, but he sounds like he would be good for our DL. :up:

Michael82
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know....but I'm still bitter that the administration refuses to face us.

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
It seems like a pretty good hire.

madness
01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Bills hire Sanders to coach D-line (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-hire-sanders-to-coach-d-line/64351031-9b7c-4ed0-bbcd-5b0858ebfe2a)

Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
Posted Jan 28, 2009

Buffalo didn’t wait very long to fill their vacant defensive line coaching position hiring former Green Bay defensive coordinator Bob Sanders. Sanders served as the Packers defensive play caller for each of the past three seasons, but has coached defensive linemen for 15 of his 30 years in coaching.
“I’m very appreciative of the opportunity to join this organization,” Sanders told Buffalobills.com. “Coach Jauron and I have a lot of mutual friends and even though we’ve never worked together I have a lot of respect for the work he does.”
Sanders oversaw a Green Bay defense that tied for the NFC-lead with 22 interceptions and ranked fourth in the NFC with 28 takeaways in 2008. They also lead the league with six interceptions returned for touchdowns. In 2007, Green Bay’s defense ranked third in the NFL in third-down defense, sixth in scoring defense and 12th overall.
In 2006, Green Bay ranked among the best pass-rushing defenses in the NFL. The Packers ranked first in the NFC (fourth in the NFL) with 46.0 sacks. Green Bay also ranked fourth in the NFL with 29 forced fumbles and fifth in the NFC in overall defense (11th in the league).
“I like defensive linemen that play fast and hard with great passion,” said Sanders. “In addition to the obvious physical qualities you look for they need to have a love of the game and the work ethic that you have to have to be successful.”
Being good friends with Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, Sanders doesn’t see much of a transition for him with respect to what he’ll need to get out of his defensive linemen here in Buffalo.
“There are a lot of similarities between our schemes,” said Sanders. “They were both 4-3 schemes so there are a lot of things within it that I’m already used to. They’re very ,very similar.”
Sanders is also very familiar with the AFC East. The coaching veteran oversaw the Miami Dolphins (http://www.miamidolphins.com/) linebackers for four years as he helped Zach Thomas post four of his most productive seasons.
The rest of Sanders’ career was spent in the college ranks, mostly at the University of Florida, where the Gators led the SEC in sacks for four consecutive seasons (1996-99).
“I feel I’m a good teacher,” Sanders said. “That’s what coaching is and I look to bring enthusiasm and loyalty to the club and I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

madness
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
New D-line coach is a good get (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/01/28/new-d-line-coach-is-a-good-get/)

By Chris Brown - Posted January 28th, 2009
Hiring Bob Sanders to coach the defensive line (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-hire-sanders-to-coach-d-line/64351031-9b7c-4ed0-bbcd-5b0858ebfe2a)is a heady move by Dick Jauron and his staff. Sanders is good friends with Perry Fewell, who likely recommended him for the job.
Having another assistant with defensive coordinator experience is a valuable mind to have in the room when putting game plans together.
Even better as defensive coordinator of the Packers last year, Green Bay faced the AFC South and NFC South, the same divisions the Bills will be facing in 2009. So he’ll offer some familiarity of the personnel on those teams as well.
Talking to him his defensive scheme had similarities to that of Fewell’s so the transition for him and what he’ll need to get from his defensive linemen won’t be all that different from what he’s used to coaching.

bigbub2352
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
This is a good signing, any input to Fewell's defense can only help, plus Sanders does know how to get after the QB, i am shocked that we signed him to be our DLine coach
i cant believe we didnt promote from within

The Spaz
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I think it's a good signing but....

http://www.firebobsanders.com/

madness
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
It seems like a pretty good hire.

IMO, it's a very good hire. He is a very good teacher and has helped some very good players become elite from college to the pro's.

Between him and Nix, I'm starting to billieve the key people got more say in the decision making from Ralph's latest Yahtzee roll of the front office.

psubills62
01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
I think it's a good signing but....

http://www.firebobsanders.com/

I'm surprised they were that highly ranked. Their run defense was terrible. However, they had a TON of injuries all over that defense. Al Harris was out a decent amount, Corey Williams was gone, Cullen Jenkins, etc. Their starting LB's were fluctuating almost every week.

One year...the rest of his resume is quite good.

mchurchfie
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Mayve he can a correct Kelsay and Denney's bad habits a little.

BillsWin
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
This is an outstanding hire by the Bills front office. First a great scout in Nix, and now a proven, and solid defensive mind in Sanders. I for one am impressed. Maybe the Bills finally want to win. However, it is free agency and our draft that will really determine if the Bills are finally ready to make a push.

Great hire though...

EDS
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I am shocked and appalled at the optimism expressed in this thread. : )

OpIv37
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Whooo! the Bills got Bob Sanders! See ya, Ko Simpson! How many INTs will he get next year! This guy is a BIG TIME playmaker! I can't believe Brandon outsmarted Polian to get him away from the Colts!

jamze132
01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Does anyone think that maybe Sanders just wants to be a coach and not a coordinator? I could buy that argument. He was very well respected at UF as he had a nack for getting through to the young guys. As a coordinator in the NFL, you really don't get a lot of time to "teach".

TigerJ
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm surprised they were that highly ranked. Their run defense was terrible. However, they had a TON of injuries all over that defense. Al Harris was out a decent amount, Corey Williams was gone, Cullen Jenkins, etc. Their starting LB's were fluctuating almost every week.

I would also note that the defensive coordinator position is very different from that of a position coach. One can be a great position coach and a lousy coordinator.

EDS
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I would also note that the defensive coordinator position is very different from that of a position coach. One can be a great position coach and a lousy coordinator.

Cough . . . turk . . .cough . . .

And Bills fans are all to familar with good coordinators who are lousy head coaches.

Mitchell55
01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow its funny. I wouldve been equally as happy with him as DC.

lukabrossi
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
smoke and mirrors, my friends.....smoke and mirrors.

jimbohastle51
01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
this is a great signing!!! not only did he pretty much make zack thomas the stud LB he was but he is the reason that green bays front 4 have been so elite over the past few years, cullen jenkins, aaron kampman, KGB (before this past season) and corey williams and ryan pickett have always been nasty because of this guys sceme. i am sooooooooooooooo excited for marcus stroud and kyle williams to get under him, this is one of the few guys who can get DT's to sack the quarterback and get pass rush with effieciency which will make it easier for schobel and denney/kelsay to rush from outside. the reason a guy like kampman is so successful at sacking the quarterback is 1/2 because of the way the DT's move the offensive line back. i am stoked!

Nighthawk
01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
New D-line coach is a good get (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/01/28/new-d-line-coach-is-a-good-get/)

By Chris Brown - Posted January 28th, 2009
Hiring Bob Sanders to coach the defensive line (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-hire-sanders-to-coach-d-line/64351031-9b7c-4ed0-bbcd-5b0858ebfe2a)is a heady move by Dick Jauron and his staff. Sanders is good friends with Perry Fewell, who likely recommended him for the job.
Having another assistant with defensive coordinator experience is a valuable mind to have in the room when putting game plans together.
Even better as defensive coordinator of the Packers last year, Green Bay faced the AFC South and NFC South, the same divisions the Bills will be facing in 2009. So he’ll offer some familiarity of the personnel on those teams as well.
Talking to him his defensive scheme had similarities to that of Fewell’s so the transition for him and what he’ll need to get from his defensive linemen won’t be all that different from what he’s used to coaching.

Oh boy...just what we need...a guy who is friends with Perry Fool! Oh yeah, and he ran a similar crappy defensive scheme in GB. Wow, let me get excited...Ok,maybe not. Any coaches that have connections to this staff should try not to advertise it because these guys are some of the worst coaches in the league. IMO

Ingtar33
01-28-2009, 06:36 PM
this looks like a good signing... it also feels like a warning shot at our DC

Nighthawk
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
this looks like a good signing... it also feels like a warning shot at our DC

I don't think so...not when he is friends with the DC and probably was suggested by him.

acehole
01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
V-text.

Former defensive coordinator in Green Bay.

Wasnt he a 3-4 guy?

The Jokeman
01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Fire up the DT Colin Cole and DE Mike Montgomery to Buffalo rumors both Green Bay Packers set to be UFAs. Personally I'm impressed with the addition of Sanders as was hoping we could have landed him as D-coordinator a few years ago but wanted him to come with Mike Sherman as HC but instead we took Jauron and as they say the rest is history.

acehole
01-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Fire up the DT Colin Cole and DE Mike Montgomery to Buffalo rumors both Green Bay Packers set to be UFAs. Personally I'm impressed with the addition of Sanders as was hoping we could have landed him as D-coordinator a few years ago but wanted him to come with Mike Sherman as HC but instead we took Jauron and as they say the rest is history.

I wanted sherman also.....where is he now?

The Jokeman
01-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I wanted sherman also.....where is he now?
Last year was his first year as Texas A&M's HC last year and had a 4-8 season

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Last year was his first year as Texas A&M's HC last year and had a 4-8 season

lol, ruining the careers of many college players.

X-Era
01-29-2009, 05:56 AM

That sounds more like Buffalo then GB

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 07:00 AM
One thing that impresses me about this guy is his work with young DT's. He took players like Corey Williams, John Jolly, Colin Cole, and Ryan Pickett and turned them into real players. Williams is a bonafide star in the making Jolly may not be far behind. Pickett was a 1st Round bust till he turned it around this year and Cole is a great 3rd DT to have. Im excited to see what he could do with a guy like Spencer Johnson.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2009, 07:22 AM
I don't think so...not when he is friends with the DC and probably was suggested by him.

Have you actually looked at what he has done in the past?

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Why would that matter at all? No matter who is was short of a Hall of Fame coach he was going to br critical of the decision.

madness
01-29-2009, 08:25 AM
One thing that impresses me about this guy is his work with young DT's. He took players like Corey Williams, John Jolly, Colin Cole, and Ryan Pickett and turned them into real players. Williams is a bonafide star in the making Jolly may not be far behind. Pickett was a 1st Round bust till he turned it around this year and Cole is a great 3rd DT to have. Im excited to see what he could do with a guy like Spencer Johnson.

But the real questions are... can he turn around a player who didn't respond at all to Kollar's in your face coaching style? Now that we have a teacher at that position, is there hope for you know who? and do we have another Pickett in waiting on our roster?

lukabrossi
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
yes, yes and yes.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Green Bay has turned a few good D-Linemen in the recent past. Part of is coaching, part of it is drafting. I gotta believe positional coaches has a great deal of input on positional players. With drafting a DE high on the list, I fell a little better that we may do better in April than Kelsay, Denney, and Ellis, the recently drafted DEs.

Maybe after he looks at all the Bills' films, he'll ask Jauron to release Kelsay.

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 10:40 AM
But the real questions are... can he turn around a player who didn't respond at all to Kollar's in your face coaching style? Now that we have a teacher at that position, is there hope for you know who? and do we have another Pickett in waiting on our roster?

Couldn't tell you but it should be interesting to watch.

Luisito23
01-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Draft defense, trade for Winslow, and sign best Center available!!...

The Jokeman
01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
I might be wrong but pretty sure Ryan Pickett played under Kollar in St Louis so there's one example that he could. That said I'm still not sold on Spencer Johnson at all and welcome us signing Cole as a free agent to add to the mix at DT.

Nighthawk
01-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Yes, nothing much...IMO. One good season as a DC doesn't make him the next coming of a great coach. Some of you guys are wanting so much for something positive that you leach onto anything. Hey, he may turn out to be good, but I'll wait to get excited.

Nighthawk
01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Why would that matter at all? No matter who is was short of a Hall of Fame coach he was going to br critical of the decision.

That's not true, but you guys are all over his jock like he is something great. Relax and let's see how he does...he's been good and he's been bad. I'll wait until he shows me something before getting a hard on for him.

DraftBoy
01-29-2009, 08:55 PM
That's not true, but you guys are all over his jock like he is something great. Relax and let's see how he does...he's been good and he's been bad. I'll wait until he shows me something before getting a hard on for him.

Good numerous times and one bad year riddeled with injuries after losing arguably his best player in the previous off season. And you didn't say you'd wait and see, you said it didn't look like a good signing before even a second on the job.

All that's been said is that he's got a good history of developing DL talent, not that he's going to be a HOF coach.

Nighthawk
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Good numerous times and one bad year riddeled with injuries after losing arguably his best player in the previous off season. And you didn't say you'd wait and see, you said it didn't look like a good signing before even a second on the job.

All that's been said is that he's got a good history of developing DL talent, not that he's going to be a HOF coach.

Nope...I didn't say that. I said that I'm not going to get excited about a guy who has any connections to this coaching staff. I also stated them hiring a guy who ran the same crappy defense as Fewell doesn't get me excited. I never stated it didn't look like a good signing, I merely stated it doesn't get me immediately excited. Wow, talk about spinning what somebody says.

PECKERWOOD
01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Draft defense, trade for Winslow, and sign best Center available!!...

People are saying that this is a very strong defensive draft, which maybe true as far as the 1st round goes but I must say that if there was ever a good time to draft a center and a tightend, it would have to be this draft.