PDA

View Full Version : "The Sabres are wimpy"

OpIv37
01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Last night, I was watching the game and my wife came downstairs and watched the last 10 or so minutes with me. Almost immediately after she sat down, she said:

"The Sabres are wimpy."

Keep in mind, she's from Puerto Rico where NO ONE plays hockey. She never even saw a game before she met me, and she's only watched a handful of games in her entire life. And even she could see the difference in physicality and intensity between the Sabres and their opponent.

Just pathetic.

chernobylwraiths
01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Not that they aren't soft, but Calgary is one of the more physically challenging teams to play. Most teams would look wimpy next to them.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
One word Kaleta

chernobylwraiths
01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
One word Kaleta

:rofl:

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
They do need more toughness of course.

I am willing to give them a pass on a 2 games in 2 nights situation.

OpIv37
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM
They do need more toughness of course.

I am willing to give them a pass on a 2 games in 2 nights situation.

the only problem with that is that they've looked wimpy for most of this season.

If they had been physical all year then got outmuscled by a physical team on the road in the 2nd of back to back games, I'd give them a pass. But that's not the case. This has been the norm for them all year.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2009, 12:03 PM
the only problem with that is that they've looked wimpy for most of this season.

If they had been physical all year then got outmuscled by a physical team on the road in the 2nd of back to back games, I'd give them a pass. But that's not the case. This has been the norm for them all year.
I can't disagree. Hopefully they can add a solid Dman.

rbochan
01-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Hits were 6 and 6.

OpIv37
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Hits were 6 and 6.

there is a lot of physical contact in hockey that doesn't show up on that hits sheet

Nighthawk
01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
This is a major ingredient that this team has been missing for years. Why this FO refuses to do anything is beyond me. This team's lack of playing physical has and most likely will cost them again late in the season.

SabreEleven
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Last night, I was watching the game and my wife came downstairs and watched the last 10 or so minutes with me. Almost immediately after she sat down, she said:

"The Sabres are wimpy."

Keep in mind, she's from Puerto Rico where NO ONE plays hockey. She never even saw a game before she met me, and she's only watched a handful of games in her entire life. And even she could see the difference in physicality and intensity between the Sabres and their opponent.

Just pathetic.

I'll bet if they played hockey with knives and shives she would watch more.

On the serious side, this defense as a whole bugs the **** out of me. When they come out of their own zone, they constantly go backwards giving the offense plently of time to fore check...Get the ****ing puck and make a pass forward, stop ****ing dicking around with it. It should take 2 to 3 QUICK passes at the MOST. I know this isn't exactly on topic but it is the 2nd most thing bugging the **** out of me just behind Kotalik being wimpy player #1.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
your going to see a different team tomorrow night,

Anaheim likes to check and play a dirty game especially with Pronger,

you know the last time we were in Anaheim they hit us every time we would get the puck they checked us. I've said that I don't believe hitting doesn't win you games. You have Kaleta who is chomping at the bit to play he's almost 100% and you know what he brings to this team. You got Rivet who can hit, Ellis who is a tough guy and you got Peters. We're going to take the leash off the players tomorrow and we're going to check them. ~ Lindy Ruff

SabreEleven
01-29-2009, 08:30 PM
your going to see a different team tomorrow night,

Anaheim likes to check and play a dirty game especially with Pronger,

you know the last time we were in Anaheim they hit us every time we would get the puck they checked us. I've said that I don't believe hitting doesn't win you games. You have Kaleta who is chomping at the bit to play he's almost 100% and you know what he brings to this team. You got Rivet who can hit, Ellis who is a tough guy and you got Peters. We're going to take the leash off the players tomorrow and we're going to check them. ~ Lindy Ruff

Wow, LW let me count the ways you are wrong on this post...

1. The next game is Saturday night, not Friday
2. The next game is against Phoenix, Not Anahiem
3. We are going to see a different team? Really? Ruff is just going to turn on the "mean" switch? The Sabres MIGHT play mean for 5 minutes but that end quickly. Sabres have 3 guys who play "mean" but the Ducks have about 15. The Sabres will get steam rolled. I heard this quote one time "The Sabres are wimpy"

you know the last time we were in Anaheim they hit us every time we would get the puck they checked us

Isn't this how you are suppose to play hockey?

LW, you need to hired yourself a fact checker...but you do keep me laughing.

OpIv37
01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I'll bet if they played hockey with knives and shives she would watch more.

On the serious side, this defense as a whole bugs the **** out of me. When they come out of their own zone, they constantly go backwards giving the offense plently of time to fore check...Get the ****ing puck and make a pass forward, stop ****ing dicking around with it. It should take 2 to 3 QUICK passes at the MOST. I know this isn't exactly on topic but it is the 2nd most thing bugging the **** out of me just behind Kotalik being wimpy player #1.

you know what bugs me the most about this? When we struggled in the playoffs after winning the President's Cup 2 years ago, it was largely due to the SAME ****ING PROBLEM. The Sabres were making the extra pass in their own zone, which was killing the breakout and nullifying their biggest advantage-speed!

SabreEleven
01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
This defense plays scared.

chernobylwraiths
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
you know what bugs me the most about this? When we struggled in the playoffs after winning the President's Cup 2 years ago, it was largely due to the SAME ****ING PROBLEM. The Sabres were making the extra pass in their own zone, which was killing the breakout and nullifying their biggest advantage-speed!

I know they scored on it, but against Edmonton, that pass back and forth between Hecht and Pomminville was killing me. 99 times out of 100 they screw that up. Sure it looked pretty but how many times can you pass it back and forth like that without screwing it up? Just dumb, and they do that **** all the time.

OpIv37
01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I know they scored on it, but against Edmonton, that pass back and forth between Hecht and Pomminville was killing me. 99 times out of 100 they screw that up. Sure it looked pretty but how many times can you pass it back and forth like that without screwing it up? Just dumb, and they do that **** all the time.

over the last two games, the away announcers kept talking about how the Sabres never keep the puck on their stick very long. Sometimes- like power plays- that's the way to do it. But when Pomminville and Hecht are down low in front of the net, MAKE A MOVE AND SHOOT THE DAMN THING! Don't pass it just to pass it!

chernobylwraiths
01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
over the last two games, the away announcers kept talking about how the Sabres never keep the puck on their stick very long. Sometimes- like power plays- that's the way to do it. But when Pomminville and Hecht are down low in front of the net, MAKE A MOVE AND SHOOT THE DAMN THING! Don't pass it just to pass it!

Yeah, the announcers said what a great passing play. I couldn't believe it worked.

ddaryl
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
we haven't had any real consistent gritt since McKee and Grier and our championship team that caught the injury bug and then was dismantled by a FO who couldn't see the forest between the trees