PDA

View Full Version : Bills Interested in Amani Toomer??

DraftBoy
01-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Bills | Could be interested in Toomer
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:47:36 -0800

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills may be interested in New York Giants impending free-agent WR Amani Toomer if he does not re-sign with the Giants before the start of free agency.

SquishDaFish
01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Interesting. I like it

Lexwhat
01-30-2009, 11:36 AM
But who's Toomer, Armani ??

THATHURMANATOR
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I would take Toomer over Furrey in a second.

DraftBoy
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM

His more fashionable alter ego.

bigbub2352
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Toomer is exactly what this teams needs to tutor Johnson and Hardy
he would be solid as a number 2 or 3 and dependable in the redzone and has real good size
probably have to over pay for him for 2-3yrs
he is like 35 or 36 i think

ddaryl
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
It's not a toomer (http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/movie_sounds/sounds_files_20081223_3107713/kindergarten_cop/tumor.wav)

nothing like telegraphing our hand

madness
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Bills | Could be interested in Toomer
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:47:36 -0800

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills may be interested in New York Giants impending free-agent WR Amani Toomer if he does not re-sign with the Giants before the start of free agency.

That's funny. I was just about to reply to your post about going after Toomer in the Nicks thread.

CB mentioning it in his blog means the Bills could be interested? That's a little bit of a reach but here is the entry...

Toomer less likely to re-sign with Giants

Chris Brown
Posted January 28th, 2009
Tags: Amani Toomer (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/amani-toomer/)
Giants free agent to be Amani Toomer may just be available to a team like the Bills (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01/amani_toomer_criticizes_new_yo.html), who could use another veteran presence in their receiving corps with James Hardy’s health up in the air for 2009.
Toomer sounded a bit disenchanted with his current club as a 20-minute interview with the press in Tampa made it clear that he was disappointed about being underutilized down the stretch of the 2008 season by the Giants, when they appeared in need of leaning on a veteran wideout when Plaxico was suspended for the rest of the year.
“The last couple of games I wasn’t a big part of the offense and we lost a big percentage of the games,” Toomer told the Newark Star-Ledger and other reporters after the charity event. “I feel like you can’t tell me (that) didn’t play a big role in it. I think it did.”
The Giants lost four of their last five games before fizzling in the playoffs against the Eagles in the Divisional round. Toomer was passed over in the game plan for younger receivers like Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith and TE Kevin Boss.
When asked specifically if he wants to re-sign with the Giants Toomer said.
“That’s a good question. That’s what I’m going to have to explore. That’s a good question.”
The Star-Ledger speculated that the Eagles and Titans could be interested in the veteran wideout. I’ve said before that the Bills could use a veteran like Toomer for a year or two while Steve Johnson gets more experience and James Hardy works his way back to full health.

psubills62
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, this isn't news. CB is, in one respect, the voice of the Bills, but just because he thinks the Bills could be interested is not a big deal. He's often surprised by things that OBD does. I just don't see this as a big deal at this point...

X-Era
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM

His fashionable brother

Luisito23
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
He's washed up.

mchurchfie
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Toomer would be an excellent addition.

Jeff1220
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Chris Brown wrote about this a couple of weeks ago, just around the time the Giants were bounced. Here's the thread on it...
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=168898&highlight=toomer
Brown was just giving his opinion...who knows if he has any inside info in this situation. (If he did, I doubt they'd let him spill it in his blog).

ddaryl
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
He's washed up.

I wouldn't say that, but he doesn't give us much over Reed IMO besides the fact that he has had some 1000 yd seasons in his career.

I still hold out hope that Steve Johnson is going to get his shots this year. I think he could be as good or better then a 35 year old Toomer... minus Toomers experience

mybills
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
I'll take him! :up:

lukabrossi
01-30-2009, 03:04 PM
we don't need another mans garbage.....we got enough of our own.

patmoran2006
01-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I disagree with most of you.

I think he'd be a great short term #2 WR while Johnson and Hardy improve and move up the ladder.

He'd only require a 2-year deal. And he'd take some pressure off Evans.

I think this would be a SOLID vet move for the bills. He isnt as good as he used to be, but he'd still be plenty useful to this team.

Tatonka
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
chris brown was just throwing that out there.. it doesnt mean ****.

patmoran2006
01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
agreed.

But I dont think many teams will be interested in him. The Bills need a bigger guy who can make catches on the outside. It would put Reed in the slot where he's more effective.

I do think its a good fit for Buffalo.

Al the Bills Fan
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't be overly thrilled if this were to happen. I would be happy in one sense since it would indicate that there is some effort by the FO to improve the team but I am not convinced that this signing would make our team that much better.

Yes, Amani would provide leadership and help mentor our young recievers (Hardy, Johnson) BUT he is in the downward slope of his career and he just wouldn't bring much in terms of on field production.

PECKERWOOD
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
No thanks, give me Maclin with the 1st pick and trade Parrish away.

The Jokeman
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
No thanks, give me Maclin with the 1st pick and trade Parrish away.
Why? Maclin will probably take the normal three years to develop just like most every WR that comes out which does nothing to help the Bills in 2009. While I think Toomer would fit in well I just wonder if he's truly better then Josh Reed at this point of his career. That said I'd bring him in as think he's better then Parrish, Hardy and Johnson to this point and at the very least give us another target for Trent though favor younger guys with more upside like Reggie Williams, Clayton and Floyd over Toomer, I wouldn't be upset with any of the four. As in all honesty think the Bills are in another one of those two year window time period where if we're going to make the playoffs we're going to have to do over the next two years or else rebuilding mode all over again.

DrGraves
01-30-2009, 07:01 PM
the bills suck at life.

clumping platelets
01-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Trade Peters and #11 to Bengals for #6 and Houshmanzadeh :up:

Use #6 for pass rusher or OT to replace Peters

Luisito23
01-31-2009, 03:06 AM

I'd rather trade for Edwards who's much younger...

Jan Reimers
01-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Toomer is an aging veteran who was never a top receiver. He drops way too many balls. No thanks.

ddaryl
01-31-2009, 09:39 AM
personally in regards to bringing in another WR ... We need a 1a to compliment our 1b (yes Evans is a 1b IMO), but now were are talking $$$$ and we have too many other needs

Toomer is not a 1a.. We already have Toomers on the team in Reed and possibly Johnson

ALL D
01-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Toomer is a great complimentary #2 to Evans. If the price is right, he will be a great fit.

The Jokeman
01-31-2009, 11:32 AM

Houshmanzadeh is due to be an UFA so don't think it be too wise to trade for him.

lukabrossi
02-01-2009, 09:41 PM
yeah....let's keep wasting money on washed-up, "has-beens".....this team sucks.

SeatownBillsFan21
02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I dont think i would like this we need impact players not washed up hacks that will score maybe a couple of TD this year and be injured the next.

jimbohastle51
02-02-2009, 01:59 AM
cheap solid compliment to lee evans. they are not looking for more than a 1-2 year guy while hardy gets back and johnson gets some more playing time under his belt. he has nice size and great hands, and he would be a nice possession receiver to add. best thing about him is with his age and all i am sure he would be cheap enough to where we could add him and it wont effect any other offseason plans the team has.