PDA

View Full Version : This board can learn something from last night.

HHURRICANE
02-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Hopefully most of you watched the Superbowl last night. Things that might make you think:

1) How good does your QB look when you have that much WR and TE talent on the field? How good would Edwards be playing on either one of these teams. Still want to blame the QB?

2) Should Arizona fire thier OC after that call to throw into the endzone before the end of the first half. We spend too much time being myopic in regards to our coaching. Coaching isn't perfect but it's not as horrible as so many believe around here.

3) Pass rushers make a difference. Pressure is as every bit as important as sacks and we can't generate either right now.

4) Pittsburgh sticks with consistancy and wins. Just an FYI.

5) The offensive line is right up there with QB in terms of importance. Anyone who wants to involve Peters in a trade right now is nuts. For years we struggled and we are one Center away from having the best line in football. How good has Pittsburgh's line been and how good is the team because of it??

patmoran2006
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks, coach.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I basically agree, HH, with all of your points. On 1), I would just add that Edwards would certainly be better with a pass catching TE and a big time #2 WR (and a Center), but I don't think he would extend plays the way Big Ben does.

yordad
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Didn't you downplay the importance of the QB in "point" #1, then lead us to believe QB was most important in "point" #5?

Buffalogic
02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't get why people dog on Ben and act like he isn't a good quarterback, lol. Like Roethlisburger only looks good beause he has good receivers and TE's, lol it's the other way around. Ben makes them look good. That last game winning drive was all Roethlisburger.

yordad
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't get why people dog on Ben and act like he isn't a good quarterback, lol. Like Roethlisburger only looks good beause he has good receivers and TE's, lol it's the other way around. Ben makes them look good. That last game winning drive was all Roethlisburger.I agree. Ben is pretty darn good. The way he escapes sure-looking sacks is awesome. And, he has the ability to complete passes with guys drapped on him. He has been doing it since college.

ddaryl
02-02-2009, 09:48 AM
HH

I have to say that's exactly the way it is...

lukabrossi
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
arizona took a gamble by throwing that ball before halftime. i agree with it. the steelers were aggresive the whole first half and arizona had to do something to get points on the board, to keep-up and not fall behind.

OpIv37
02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
2) Should Arizona fire thier OC after that call to throw into the endzone before the end of the first half. We spend too much time being myopic in regards to our coaching. Coaching isn't perfect but it's not as horrible as so many believe around here.

I have to take issue with this. Don't forget- if this were the Bills coaches, they would have wasted 2 time outs and lost a challenge before making that stupid play call. You accuse the criticisms of the coach as being myopic, but that's not true. These highly scrutinized plays are the symptoms of consistently poor game-day decision-making. These coaches make the same mistakes over and over and over.... it never gets any better and it's one of the many things that are wrong with this team.

Remember, Arizona won two challenges and went into the last 2 min of a close game with two time-outs left plus the bonus challenge. Has Jauron EVER done that?

HHURRICANE
02-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I have to take issue with this. Don't forget- if this were the Bills coaches, they would have wasted 2 time outs and lost a challenge before making that stupid play call. You accuse the criticisms of the coach as being myopic, but that's not true. These highly scrutinized plays are the symptoms of consistently poor game-day decision-making. These coaches make the same mistakes over and over and over.... it never gets any better and it's one of the many things that are wrong with this team.

Remember, Arizona won two challenges and went into the last 2 min of a close game with two time-outs left plus the bonus challenge. Has Jauron EVER done that?

Do you believe that the Bills were talented enough to be on the field with either one of these teams last night even if we had Bill Parcells as our HC?

I'm not saying that Jauron didn't do stupid things and his time mangement isn't just plain horrible. But I'll take him over Mularkey or Williams any day of the week.

I'd like to see the Bills address our giant holes before expecting our coach to get us to the playoffs with his pure genius.

Funny how the Cowboys and Steelers have both one Superbowls with basically the same roster but different coaches.

Did the Steelers win because of coaching or talent?

yordad
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Remember, Arizona won two challenges and went into the last 2 min of a close game with two time-outs left plus the bonus challenge. Has Jauron EVER done that?Didn't Arizona have one of the best passing offenses ever, and didn't the Steelers have the best run D? I agree Op, it is a little different then what our crew pulls.

TedMock
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
arizona took a gamble by throwing that ball before halftime. i agree with it. the steelers were aggresive the whole first half and arizona had to do something to get points on the board, to keep-up and not fall behind.

The call wasn't really bad. Pittsburgh ran a well-disguised zone blitz on the side of the field where there was only one Cardinal. Warner was fooled on the play. It happens. Warner had a good game otherwise, but that was just an unfortunate mishap for him and a great play all around for Pittsburgh. Great fake on the zone blitz and great job on the return.

OpIv37
02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Do you believe that the Bills were talented enough to be on the field with either one of these teams last night even if we had Bill Parcells as our HC?

I'm not saying that Jauron didn't do stupid things and his time mangement isn't just plain horrible. But I'll take him over Mularkey or Williams any day of the week.

I'd like to see the Bills address our giant holes before expecting our coach to get us to the playoffs with his pure genius.

Funny how the Cowboys and Steelers have both one Superbowls with basically the same roster but different coaches.

Did the Steelers win because of coaching or talent?

Talent-wise, there is no doubt that Arizona and Pittsburgh are leagues ahead of us. But if Jauron was coaching Arizona yesterday, do you think he would have correctly used two challenges to earn the third, or still had 2 time outs available at the crucial juncture in the game? I don't.

I honestly think better coaching would have bought us anywhere from 2-4 wins this year. That still may not have been enough to get us in the playoffs (NE missed out at 11-5), but it's still unacceptable.

The point is that right now this team has so many issues it's hard to even accurately evaluate it. The LB's and S's suck but they get no help from the DL because they don't put pressure on the QB and get swallowed up in the run game. So, are they really that bad or are they being held back by the DL? The offense struggled, but is it the QB holding the receivers back or the receivers holding the QB back? or both? There are too many variables to draw any conclusions.

Would Jauron win more games with more talent? Most likely. But would a better coach get more wins out of this same roster? I certainly think so.

Boomstick
02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't get why people dog on Ben and act like he isn't a good quarterback, lol. Like Roethlisburger only looks good beause he has good receivers and TE's, lol it's the other way around. Ben makes them look good. That last game winning drive was all Roethlisburger.

I kinda think they take turns (Ben and his receivers) making each other look good. They all play well together, the receivers know Ben can extend plays so they break off routes very well and get to Ben's field of vision. I think its great chemistry and familiarity.

Luisito23
02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Ben should be wearing a Bills' jersey right now...Our incompetence strikes as always.

HHURRICANE
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Talent-wise, there is no doubt that Arizona and Pittsburgh are leagues ahead of us. But if Jauron was coaching Arizona yesterday, do you think he would have correctly used two challenges to earn the third, or still had 2 time outs available at the crucial juncture in the game? I don't.

I honestly think better coaching would have bought us anywhere from 2-4 wins this year. That still may not have been enough to get us in the playoffs (NE missed out at 11-5), but it's still unacceptable.

The point is that right now this team has so many issues it's hard to even accurately evaluate it. The LB's and S's suck but they get no help from the DL because they don't put pressure on the QB and get swallowed up in the run game. So, are they really that bad or are they being held back by the DL? The offense struggled, but is it the QB holding the receivers back or the receivers holding the QB back? or both? There are too many variables to draw any conclusions.

Would Jauron win more games with more talent? Most likely. But would a better coach get more wins out of this same roster? I certainly think so.

Jauron has 8-8 roster so wether the record should 9-7 or 7-9 is really meaningless. No matter who the cook is crap on a bun is still crap.

Again, did the 49rs, Cowboys, and Steelers win Superbowls with having two great coaches in a row or a great roster?

TacklingDummy
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hopefully most of you watched the Superbowl last night. Things that might make you think:

1) How good does your QB look when you have that much WR and TE talent on the field? How good would Edwards be playing on either one of these teams. Still want to blame the QB?

3) Pass rushers make a difference. Pressure is as every bit as important as sacks and we can't generate either right now.

5) The offensive line is right up there with QB in terms of importance. Anyone who wants to involve Peters in a trade right now is nuts. For years we struggled and we are one Center away from having the best line in football. How good has Pittsburgh's line been and how good is the team because of it??

So basically what you are saying is the Bills need some playmakers in the skill positions?

yordad
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Jauron has 8-8 roster so wether the record should 9-7 or 7-9 is really meaningless. No matter who the cook is crap on a bun is still crap.

Again, did the 49rs, Cowboys, and Steelers win Superbowls with having two great coaches in a row or a great roster?Ok. As long as you are using metaphors, you ever had a burnt steak? How about a raw one? Now.... how about one cooked to your liking?

Also, those coaches had a hand in assembling that talent.

OpIv37
02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok. As long as you are using metaphors, you ever had a burnt steak? How about a raw one? Now.... how about one cooked to your liking?

and sometimes you can't afford steak- you can only afford salisbury steak. But if it burns, it still tastes like crap, and if it's cooked properly, it's still edible.

HHURRICANE
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Ok. As long as you are using metaphors, you ever had a burnt steak? How about a raw one? Now.... how about one cooked to your liking?

Well I don't think Jauron is going to turn Filet Mignon into beff jerky.

The part that is depressing isn't the coaching. It's the fact that watching the playoffs shows how much we are lacking at DE, LB, and WR.

tat2dmike77
02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Didn't you downplay the importance of the QB in "point" #1, then lead us to believe QB was most important in "point" #5?

Also see his quote in my sig about QB's

Night Train
02-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I find that after I watch the games on Sunday, I'm a genius on what teams should have done on Monday morning.

yordad
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Well I don't think Jauron is going to turn Filet Mignon into beff jerky.

The part that is depressing isn't the coaching. It's the fact that watching the playoffs shows how much we are lacking at DE, LB, and WR.Well, as long as your opinion is the QB is great and the coaching is great then we are in good shape.

PECKERWOOD
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
If you look at both teams D-lines, they consistently got pressure. To be very honest, I would not be the least bit angry if we went defense with our 1st 2 picks in the draft next year. Take Raji at #11 and trade up and grab Michael Johnson in the 1st. Johnson, Raji, Stroud, Schobel - GG.

Nighthawk
02-02-2009, 04:14 PM

I agree. Anybody who tries to defend this coaching staff has to be questioned as to what the hell they've been watching. Jauron has been terrible...not bad, but terrible!

FlyingDutchman
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
The thing i took from last night is just how much a coaching staff can change a team. Arizona isnt a completely different team X's and O's wise, but what came through the most last night and throughout their playoff run was how much more physical theyve become, and most importantly how mentally tough theyve become. Thats all coaching.

Ingtar33
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM

from what i saw last night, our o-line looked lightyears better then the steelers line, and about on part with the AZ line.

That Steelers line is mediocre at best, and the AZ line couldn't protect Warner, or run agaisnt 3 man rushes, and nickle or dime defenses.

that said, i'd love to see our line improve. i think it all starts there.

Michael82
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I learned that the Buffalo Bills FO made a horrible mistake when they didn't aggressively try to move up so they could draft Big Ben Roethlisberger. :sigh:

Mr. Pink
02-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Tomlin had a hand in the talent? That's Bill Cowher's team.
Seifert had a hand in the talent? That was Bill Walsh's team.
Barry Switzer had a hand in the talent? That was Jimmy Johnson's team.

You can't take a fish filet from McDonalds and turn it into caviar.

No matter who the coach is here, would fail, because the talent on this roster is not only league's below the upper echelon teams but is behind every other team in the division.

X-Era
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Has someone found a way to cook Kool Aid on a spoon and smoke it?

I love the enthusiasm and agree that our o-line is far from our biggest problem, but this leap of faith is more than even I can agree with.

The rest I am pretty much in line with.

tat2dmike77
02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
If Jauron was the head coach of this team in the early 90's you can bet this team would not of had any success. Jauron is a joke and this organization is a joke for retaining him.

Like i have said both on and off this board. The FO blew thier wad to early when this team was 5-1 and signed Dickie to a extension. Now they don't want too pay two coaches one of whom would not be on the sideline. So excuses are made for this bafoon yet again.

People who defend this guy must have stopped watching the Bills after the Chargers game. That is the only explanation i can come up with. Seven and nine for three straight years is not a slump it's a winning streak in Jaurons eyes.

yordad
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Tomlin had a hand in the talent? That's Bill Cowher's team.
Seifert had a hand in the talent? That was Bill Walsh's team.
Barry Switzer had a hand in the talent? That was Jimmy Johnson's team.
That is my point. It is both. The argument that it is only talent because the next coach can win IT too, can be negated by the fact the next coach has the talent that was assembled by the previous one.

Coaches are not only responsible for designing and implementing plays, and game management, they are also responsible for assessing talent, recognizing weaknesses, and getting them addressed. In a league of parity, the coaching difference can be a significant difference.

sdbillsfan2
02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure how better offense weapons make Edwards more durable and less injury prone!

acehole
02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Yea I have been saying these things for a while now...you make it seem like a news flash.

OpIv37
02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
No matter who the coach is here, would fail, because the talent on this roster is not only league's below the upper echelon teams but is behind every other team in the division.

Unfortunately there's a corollary to that: No matter how much talent Jauron has, he'll STILL end up being mediocre. The Patriots won 11 games this year. If Jauron was the coach they might win 8. The dude is good for two losses a season (and that's being kind- it's probably more like 3 or 4)

HHURRICANE
02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately there's a corollary to that: No matter how much talent Jauron has, he'll STILL end up being mediocre. The Patriots won 11 games this year. If Jauron was the coach they might win 8. The dude is good for two losses a season (and that's being kind- it's probably more like 3 or 4)

Sorry, but you can't make this statement. Norv Turner went 8-8 with a much better team. So where does he rank?

OpIv37
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Sorry, but you can't make this statement. Norv Turner went 8-8 with a much better team. So where does he rank?
why can't I? Did you see the Cleveland game? The SF game? The 2nd Miami game? Do you really think Cowher, Bellicheck or Dungy loses those games? Come on.

And being better than Norv Turner? So what? That's like beating a 6 year old at basketball. Turner is an absolutely terrible coach, but that has nothing to do with Jauron. The Bills can still do better.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Norv Turner win his division and take his team to the playoffs? And didn't he win 8 games whereas Jauron only won 7? Sorry, but even your example of ineptitude is better than Jauron.