PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bills Hopeless?

Mike
02-04-2009, 02:18 AM
There was a time when I hoped the Bills would loose out during an already loosing season just so they can get a better draft pick. [To a large extent, this is what NBA teams already do. When the season goes in the crapper, they will trade the older players, free some money and play the young guys = playing for next season. This is also why the NBA has a lottery.] unit this season. This season I realized something, something of great significance. During our 10year drought there have been many great, Hall of Fame type players, being picked well past our draft positions. I realized, that no matter where we picked in the draft, we were bound the fu** it up. So I stopped rooting for them to loose, there was no reward. Which bring me to my next point: even a blind squirl will find a nut once in a while, which is exactly what the Bills front office has been for the past 10years. Mostly misses, but every once in a while they hit on a payer. Even their hits are average, and as a result we have not been in the playoffs for 10 years. Next point, this is not a coincidence. Bad situations are created on many different levels starting from the top down. An incompitent owner will hire incompetent people at all levels to manage the organization. The results will be the same = failure. So until this changes, the Bills will not change. They may get lucky and hit even on a great player, but one great player will not win you a superbowl. We need compitence and the only way we will get it is if something drastic happens. Until then, hope is lost!

Wally The Barber
02-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Mike, great Post,

I will tell you this with my 42 years as a Diehard fan,

Great football teams are developed and a large portion of the team is nothing more then average with 8-10 great football players

I believe we have 8-10 Potentially great players on this team already.

The Buffalo Bills have ALMOST everything we need to be champions.

This team just needs to play better...period

I am not one of these over optimistic fans either.

We need help with the pass rush, more physical receivers, perhaps a center and we should be able to play with anyone.

The problems with Ralph Wilson and Dick Jauron get all the attention on this board, but the truth is, the Players need to develop and just plain play better.

I think the younger players we have as good as any around the NFL.

You may have noticed above that I did not mention TE.

I am a huge Derek Fine fan, that guy is going to be good, mark my words

My season tickets go back to the rockpile and I have seen a lot of teams come and go, this team has the potential, We will see!

Night Train
02-04-2009, 03:55 AM
The way to build a team is :

A. Off the field, hire a good front office (GM,Coach etc.)
B. On the field, build from the lines out on both sides of the ball.

When you look at the Bills, what's wrong with this picture ?

Wally The Barber
02-04-2009, 04:43 AM

There is several ways to build a team but you need to start with the above.

I have no problem with the offensive line.

I defensive line needs more talent and the coaching staff is questionable

I made my comments of the front office yesterday.

I believe there are some real problems there
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=169712

Historian
02-04-2009, 05:43 AM
We are a couple players away, unfortunately, this team is a reflection of its coach:

Deadpan, morose, and unenthused about playing the game of football.

I'm not saying you gotta be Ditka out there, but you need to show emotion at the proper times.

Wally The Barber
02-04-2009, 05:57 AM
We are a couple players away, unfortunately, this team is a reflection of its coach:

I'm not saying you gotta be Ditka out there, but you need to show emotion at the proper times.

I think you bring up a point I have been making for years.

Dujek
02-04-2009, 06:26 AM

One of the problems is the fact that the league keeps taking away the chance for the players to fire themselves, and the fans, up even further during a game. Every time they add something to the list of excessive celebrations after scores they reduce the amount of passion.

To make up for it coaches need to be getting in players' faces, either shouting encouragement or bawling them out, giving them something to play for. If you look at the two teams who made the Super Bowl this year they had emotional head coaches, and assistants, who aren't afraid to confront their players in full view of the cameras, no matter who they are. Do you really think that Arizona team would have made the Super Bowl if Whisenhunt had spent the entire season standing on the sideline gently clapping and looking disinterested?

Jan Reimers
02-04-2009, 07:28 AM

They have continually ignored both A. and B., although they have tried, to some extent, to rebuild their lines in recent years. DE, C, and DT still need work, however.

DMBcrew36
02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
It's all up to Ralph Wilson. We need a quarterback. We need a center. We need new d-ends (even Schobel is barely starter quality right now).

And wtf is wrong with our talent evaluators. Donte Whitner is just one example of crap we've picked in the draft. #8 pick with way better players on the board.

OpIv37
02-04-2009, 08:23 AM
There was a time when I hoped the Bills would loose out during an already loosing season just so they can get a better draft pick. [To a large extent, this is what NBA teams already do. When the season goes in the crapper, they will trade the older players, free some money and play the young guys = playing for next season. This is also why the NBA has a lottery.] unit this season. This season I realized something, something of great significance. During our 10year drought there have been many great, Hall of Fame type players, being picked well past our draft positions. I realized, that no matter where we picked in the draft, we were bound the fu** it up. So I stopped rooting for them to loose, there was no reward. Which bring me to my next point: even a blind squirl will find a nut once in a while, which is exactly what the Bills front office has been for the past 10years. Mostly misses, but every once in a while they hit on a payer. Even their hits are average, and as a result we have not been in the playoffs for 10 years. Next point, this is not a coincidence. Bad situations are created on many different levels starting from the top down. An incompitent owner will hire incompetent people at all levels to manage the organization. The results will be the same = failure. So until this changes, the Bills will not change. They may get lucky and hit even on a great player, but one great player will not win you a superbowl. We need compitence and the only way we will get it is if something drastic happens. Until then, hope is lost!

This pretty much nails it. The point is that other than replacing TD with Marv, then having everyone take one step up the ladder when Marv left, this is the SAME FO we've had since roughly 2001. Russ Brandon, Modrak, John Guy- all these guys have been part of all the dismal failures over the last decade. And they're STILL HERE. These guys simply don't make good football decisions.

And even if the blind squirrel did finally find the nut, we're about 4 or 5 nuts short. This team simply has too many holes to fill in one off-season, even if the FO knew how to get it right.

I know, the off-season really hasn't started yet and teams haven't had the draft or the opportunity to make personnel moves, but it's looking pretty bleak. It's no big secret that I'm the resident pessimist on this board and I'm usually down on the team, but even I've never been this disillusioned this early in the year. It's going to be a brutal year.

mybills
02-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Good post Mike..

btw, it's lose and losing
just sayin'

bigbub2352
02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
With the same regime in place, and a very cheap owner not willing to spend to bring the playmakers in here, and a horrible front office deciding picks we are going to be the same avg/below avg team we always are
its sad but true

justasportsfan
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Dick still gets the benefit of the doubt that he can take us to the playoffs , but I doubt he's a superbowl coach. He's nothing more than a motivator. He blows when it comes to X's and O's and proof of that is that he's 0-3 in picking his OC's.

Even if we bring in players, the other teams in the division will do the same.

lukabrossi
02-04-2009, 10:36 AM
this teams sucks.....period.

Devin
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes.

I didnt read anything after the title of the thread.

Jaybird
02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
a great Qb can make up for a weak coaching staff, front office, and talent

yordad
02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
a great Qb can make up for a weak coaching staff, front office, and talentCan you name a few?

SeatownBillsFan21
02-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm hearing a whole lotta 5-11 in there the crappy thing is i agree with most of it.The sad thing to me is by the time we get it right this franchise we call Buffalo COULD be gone.