• Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

McShay's latest mock has us taking Maybin

From Chris Brown’s Blog…
    http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

Looking at ESPN Todd McShay’s latest mock draft, he has Penn State’s Aaron Maybin going to the Bills at 11 and lists him as a LB/DE.
    Every time you hear about a tweener it’s usually saying a guy can either play end in a 4-3 or an OLB in 3-4. But if the guy is good enough to play OLB in a 3-4, why can’t he in a 4-3 especially on the strong side?
    I kind of ruled Maybin out because of all the draft “experts” said he was a 3-4 OLB. But looking at it with an open mind, Buffalo does need help at the strong side linebacker spot, especially if Crowell is not re-signed.
    Why not Maybin at strong side linebacker? Then on third downs you could line him up at end for passing situations when you’d be taking him off the field as a linebacker anyway in a nickel package.
    I think Everette Brown might be capable of that as well, even though McShay has him coming off the board at 5 to Cleveland. I’m hearing from people in the know that Brown might not be strong enough to be an end in a 4-3 and hold up against the run.
    While that’s disappointing to hear, if he runs in the 4.7’s at the combine, which I’m hearing he will do, then why can’t he be a strong side linebacker option as well, who lines up as a pass rusher on third downs?
    Food for thought.
    If both are athletically capable of doing that, then I’m all for taking either one. Let Kelsay grind on first and second down, then put the rookie at end opposite Schobel on third down and go get the quarterback

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Re: McShay's latest mock has us taking Maybin

As a huge Penn State fan, I love Maybin. He came in when Evans was suspended at the beginning of the year and just flat out tore it up. I definitely thinks he needs more time in the college ranks, but I would not be upset if we draft him. I like Chris's idea of using him as a SAM and a situational pass rusher.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
      I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
      • Sep 2004

I don't know anything about this guy, but if you guys are excited about him, that's ok with me.
      The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

If he can get to the QB as advertised, I'll take him.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          From Chris Brown’s Blog…
          http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

Looking at ESPN Todd McShay’s latest mock draft, he has Penn State’s Aaron Maybin going to the Bills at 11 and lists him as a LB/DE.
          Every time you hear about a tweener it’s usually saying a guy can either play end in a 4-3 or an OLB in 3-4. But if the guy is good enough to play OLB in a 3-4, why can’t he in a 4-3 especially on the strong side?
          I kind of ruled Maybin out because of all the draft “experts” said he was a 3-4 OLB. But looking at it with an open mind, Buffalo does need help at the strong side linebacker spot, especially if Crowell is not re-signed.
          Why not Maybin at strong side linebacker? Then on third downs you could line him up at end for passing situations when you’d be taking him off the field as a linebacker anyway in a nickel package.
          I think Everette Brown might be capable of that as well, even though McShay has him coming off the board at 5 to Cleveland. I’m hearing from people in the know that Brown might not be strong enough to be an end in a 4-3 and hold up against the run.
          While that’s disappointing to hear, if he runs in the 4.7’s at the combine, which I’m hearing he will do, then why can’t he be a strong side linebacker option as well, who lines up as a pass rusher on third downs?
          Food for thought.
          If both are athletically capable of doing that, then I’m all for taking either one. Let Kelsay grind on first and second down, then put the rookie at end opposite Schobel on third down and go get the quarterback
          The shift puts Maybin on the line and Ellison back in coverage where he is actually decent. Sounds good to me in theory.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

I'm not against taking Maybin but with the 11th pick? I don't think so.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I think I saw a mock (Kiper, Jr.?) that had him going at 10.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Maybin would have to have a spectacular work out and weigh in to crack the top 15.

Comment

• T-Long
                  Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                  • Sep 2003

I saw some mocks that had Maybin going 3 to KC

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by T-Long
                    I saw some mocks that had Maybin going 3 to KC
                    No, Chicago is going to have that pick when KC trades for Rex Grossman.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Pick doesnt make sense for us. He is way too raw and made a mistake leaving early.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

I dunno... NFLDraftScout has him rated at 29th. He'd be a nice 2nd rounder though!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                          Maybin would have to have a spectacular work out and weigh in to crack the top 15.
                          He's a classic case of that... a guy who can significantly help his stock with good workouts. Everything I've heard says he is raw but will be good one day. I don't know if that fits our current sense of urgency.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Maybin seems like a perfect fit as an OLB in the 3-4 who can rush QB. Honestly? I'd rather take Orakpo at 11 than Maybin. I don't think there is any way Maybin goes in the top 10 unless Cleveland takes him. If we were desperate for an OLB then I wouldn't mind trading up in the late 1st to grab him but not at 11.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Just say no!

Comment

Working...
                              X