PDA

View Full Version : After much thought I want OT Michael Oher at #11...

sauce
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
And I think he will be there...A few of the latest draft have him projected going to the Bills

Watching his highlights the guy is down right nasty and I believe you cannot have enough o lineman

I also would like DE or DT at #11 but I think this OT class will make an instant impact

I highlighted the part that caught my eye that guard may be his BEST position...

So you have a great OT which would provide leverage in the Peters situation

and he may even be better at guard

plus has anyone watched tape on Walker...hes a good player but is NOT athletic enough to pull

Michael Oher
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 318 | 40-Time: 5.20

Strengths:
Outstanding athleticism...Has prototypical size with excellent bulk and long arms...Quick and agile with great balance...Nimble and light on his feet...Very strong...Moves well laterally...Mobile and can get out to the second level...Exceptional pass blocker who makes it look easy...Stout at the point of attack...Powerful and gets a great push in the run game...Able to control defenders once he locks on...Plays with a nasty demeanor...Tough and durable...Offers some versatility...A lot of experience against elite competition...Still has considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent and does not always play up to his abilities...Motor runs hot and cold...Lacks great awareness...Needs to improve his technique when it comes to things like footwork and use of hands...Gets high in his stance and he doesn't always play with proper leverage...Might require extra attention from coaches ... Intelligence could be an issue.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "oar"...Was a four-year starter in the SEC and never missed a game...Played offensive guard as a freshman with the Rebels and some feel that might be his best position in the pros...Named a 1st Team All-American in 2008...A three-time All-SEC selection (2nd Team in 2006 and 1st Team in 2007 and 2008)...One of three finalists for the Outland Trophy as a senior...Didn't start playing football until late in his high school career yet didn't allow a sack as a junior or senior...Averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds in basketball and also finished as the state runner-up in discus as a prep...Originally entered the 2008 NFL Draft after his junior season but changed his mind and went back to Oxford...To say he has overcome a lot in life would be an understatement (see video below) and his story was the subject of a best-selling book by Michael Lewis titled The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game...There are some question marks when it comes to intangibles but this guy has the raw physical tools to be a franchise left tackle in the NFL...Boom or Bust type who personifies the term "High Risk / High Reward"...Rare physical specimen with arguably as much pure talent as any offensive tackle to come along in many years.

Here is an interview conducted by the guys at walterfootball.com:

Matt McGuire: At the combine, coaches and GMs might ask you if you have trouble taking in and retaining information. In The Blind Side, it was noted you had intelligence issues, but it seems you have overcame that. How are you going to respond to those questions?

Michael Oher: I have always been a smart guy. People can't believe what they read and the things they hear. You gotta come to me, talk to me, and find out what type of person I am. I have always been a smart guy.

McGuire: Every week you would look at your game film with your offensive line coach and review your play. If you could put a blocking grade on yourself for the season, what would it be?

Oher: I think I would probably give myself overall a 96 grade.

McGuire: You went to a program with a lot of tradition, but was not competitive. In your first three seasons in Ole Miss you went 10-25. As a senior, you went 8-4, didn't lose a game by more than 7 points, and shocked the world with a Cotton Bowl win over No. 7 Texas Tech. What is it like to go to a program in Oxford and be a cornerstone for turning that around?

Oher: It feels good to know you left a program and turned everything around. Being a part of something special. It always feels good.

McGuire: Give us a prediction. How many times are you going to bench 225 at the Combine? 40 time?

Oher: I am aiming for 30 reps of 225, and I am not going to tell you my 40. It's a secret.

McGuire: So you are going to shock us?

Oher: I am going to shock you.

McGuire: Who is the best defensive linemen you battled in your career?

Oher: Probably, Derrick Harvey. He was the eighth-overall selection. He was a fast, strong, physical defensive end. He had all the tools.

McGuire: Play NFL Scout for a second. Give me a young up-and-comer in the Ole Miss program you think will be a star in one or two years?

Oher: Offensive guard named Rishaw Johnson (6'4, 295). He is probably one of the most talented kids I have ever been around. Quick, explosive, and has all the tools. Once he really turns it on, it's over for the SEC. They better watch out for him.

McGuire: Which offensive lineman do you feel like you compare most to in the NFL? Why?

Oher: I'd probably say Walter Jones. He's athletic, quick, and he has all the tools.

McGuire: Let's say you are in a Combine interview and a coach asks, “Why should we draft you?” What are you going to say?

Oher: I'm a fierce competitor. I love winning. I love the game of football, and I would do anything for my teammates. I have the total package. I am a great football player.

McGuire: Hypothetical situation. You can choose between playing an amazing game in front of the scouts and losing by 40 points, or playing a terrible game in front of the scouts and win by 40. Which one would you choose?

Oher: I'm a winner. To win a game, that comes first. It's all about the team, and my teammates have a great game and we are going to enjoy that as a team.

McGuire: What are your goals in the NFL?

Oher: To become a starter and become one of the great players. Maybe make a couple Pro Bowls.

McGuire: Thanks a lot Mike, good luck this week in Mobile and on Draft Day.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ddaryl
02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
the game is won and lost in the trenches, but for this to happen we need to have a pretty productive free agency at DE and OLB

lets not forget we are equally desperate for a vet C too.

justasportsfan
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
One things for sure he's fat enough for this team. He won't be able to pull just like the rest of our lard ass players. Pefect fit.

DraftBoy
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
One things for sure he's fat enough for this team. He won't be able to pull just like the rest of our lard ass players. Pefect fit.

He's a LT at the NFL level not an OG.

justasportsfan
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
He's a LT at the NFL level not an OG.

I wasn't arguing that

mysticsoto
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
So let me see if I get your position correctly, Sauce. We have a pro-bowl LT who plays well when he's in shape, a very decent RT who may not pull much but doesn't let anybody through, a decent OT backup as proven by last year's play in Kirk Chambers, a good looking prospect in Demetrious Bell...but we should draft an OT with our 1st rd pick in order to play Guard...when likely no Guards will even be chosen in the 1st round. Nevermind the Center position that is probably our biggest need on the Oline...nevermind the Dline's inability to help Stroud and get to QBs...we should grab a tackle to play guard???

How you can rationalize doing this baffles me...

PECKERWOOD
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I like Monroe the most out of all the LT prospects this year, I think Monroe will be the best pass protector.

Buckets
02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
UHHH NO

Yasgur's Farm
02-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I have my order of preference in my siggy.

Al the Bills Fan
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I wasn't arguing that

I think what he was saying is that Guards pull, not Tackles. You said he wouldn't be able to pull, implying he is a Guard

sauce
02-05-2009, 02:28 PM
So let me see if I get your position correctly, Sauce. We have a pro-bowl LT who plays well when he's in shape, a very decent RT who may not pull much but doesn't let anybody through, a decent OT backup as proven by last year's play in Kirk Chambers, a good looking prospect in Demetrious Bell...but we should draft an OT with our 1st rd pick in order to play Guard...when likely no Guards will even be chosen in the 1st round. Nevermind the Center position that is probably our biggest need on the Oline...nevermind the Dline's inability to help Stroud and get to QBs...we should grab a tackle to play guard???

How you can rationalize doing this baffles me...

Have you seen walker play????

He sucks

Draft Oher at #11 and go C in rd #2 and DE in #3 or vise versa

The Bills oline would then look like this

LT-Peters

LG-Dockery

C-Mack,Unger,Wood,Lugis

RG-Butler

RT-Oher

Worst case senaro Peters goes awol again so you plant Oher at LT and trade Peters for picks

What is the problem with this?

DE's Larry English and Connor Barwin will be available in the 2 and 3rd rounds and have solid potential

justasportsfan
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I think what he was saying is that Guards pull, not Tackles. You said he wouldn't be able to pull, implying he is a Guard
I've seen Peter and Walker pull too from their positions.

PECKERWOOD
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM

He sucks

LT-Peters

LG-Dockery

C-Mack,Unger,Wood,Lugis

RG-Butler

RT-Oher

Worst case senaro Peters goes awol again so you plant Oher at LT and trade Peters for picks

DE's Larry English and Connor Barwin will be available in the 2 and 3rd rounds and have solid potential

I'm not against drafting an OT but honestly if we got Oher and say Mack our OL would look like this: Peters, Dockery, Mack, Walker, Oher.

People forget that although Walker is a good RT, he is also a very good OG as well. He would definately beat out Butler.

Jan Reimers
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I think our O line would benefit most by the addition of a good Center, which we could get in Round 2 or 3. I believe DE and OLB are far bigger needs at 11 than an OT. If we continue with no pass rush, we will never make the playoffs.

Mahdi
02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Keep thinking... :scratch:

mysticsoto
02-06-2009, 12:28 PM

He sucks

LT-Peters

LG-Dockery

C-Mack,Unger,Wood,Lugis

RG-Butler

RT-Oher

Ummm...yes, I've seen Walker play. He delightfully surprised me this year. He was probably the most consistent Olineman we had. Did you see him play? Or are you going by his old Raiders days play, perhaps. Walker has been playing very decent...perhaps you should go revisit some of the games and just watch him!!! And before you or anyone goes overboard...I'm not saying he's a probowler. Just that he played very adequately and was reliable.

Bill Cody
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
NO

Mahdi
02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Ummm...yes, I've seen Walker play. He delightfully surprised me this year. He was probably the most consistent Olineman we had. Did you see him play? Or are you going by his old Raiders days play, perhaps. Walker has been playing very decent...perhaps you should go revisit some of the games and just watch him!!! And before you or anyone goes overboard...I'm not saying he's a probowler. Just that he played very adequately and was reliable.
I really dont think the Bills run behind Walker enough. Most of Marshawns big runs come behind Walker. The guy can maul.

justasportsfan
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM

He sucks

LT-Peters

LG-Dockery

C-Mack,Unger,Wood,Lugis

RG-Butler

RT-Oher

Do you think Dick has the luxury to take chances this year with the OL with a bunch of rookies . It takes time for an OL to gel with vets all the more rookies.

The brains behind this O couldn't even handle 3-4 defenses with vets. I hope Trent has life insurance.

mysticsoto
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I really dont think the Bills run behind Walker enough. Most of Marshawns big runs come behind Walker. The guy can maul.

Having someone in the backfield before the play even develops probably had a big impact on this. I really think a *real* center could shock people as to how good this line can be!!!