X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

what to do about our UFA?

Been hashed and rehashed. But we have some guys who are gonna be UFA and could leave with no compensation what should we do?

Kotalik - trade him, good for shootout wins and hitting someone once every 6 to 8 games

Connolly - trade him, gifted playmaker, hurt too much

Afinogenov - trade him, unbelievable talent sometimes, unbelievable turnover machine others

Spacek - tough one but trade him, steady dman this year, very good shot, can we afford 4 million per for him?

Nummenin - can he play another season about veteran minimum?

This of course is contingent on getting some people who can play back, but we have some decent prospects in Portland, might as well see what then can do now as we don't have much of a chance this season IMO.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: what to do about our UFA?

If you trade all four of those guys, especially Timmy, you greatly jeopardize the teams playoff chances.

I am not sure it is worth it. I hate to see them go for nothing, but you will not get a player that is much help now for any of them (they would get picks/prospects).

Can this team afford to miss the playoffs? Are they better off trying to get the 4th or 5th seed?
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      If you trade all four of those guys, especially Timmy, you greatly jeopardize the teams playoff chances.

I am not sure it is worth it. I hate to see them go for nothing, but you will not get a player that is much help now for any of them (they would get picks/prospects).

Can this team afford to miss the playoffs? Are they better off trying to get the 4th or 5th seed?
      Does it matter?

as it stands now, they are at best a second round exit IMO

I'm sure they wouldn't do even half of those moves, but I wouldn't mind none of those guys on next year's roster.

Stafford is a RFA too. If he keeps playing like he is now, what's to stop Edmonton from handing out another stupid offer sheet? Will the Sabres be able to afford Stafford next year?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

These moves would be a WAIST!!!

We are already stocked with young talent. So much so that there isn't room for all of these guys. Why add more at the expense of the playoffs THIS season?

Sure get rid of Max but you aren't going to get any thing for him. Maybe a mid round draft choice.

Kotalik has value on this team for now. I am prepared to lose him in the offseason.

While I love the young Dmen we have we cant get rid of veteran depth like Jaro and Teppo.

Connolly should be signed at all costs. He is too good and too important to not take that chance.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

you mean a waste? Not a typo, a completely different word.

You say how stacked we are on the farm and we don't need replacements, but we don't have room on the roster now? What kind of convoluted logic do you have? I proposed keeping Teppo if he wants to stay but Jaro is gone at the end of the season IMO. I don't think he brings as much to the table now as anyone else does, and with a healthy blueline, Butler doesn't play.

I won't rehash the Connolly point.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Of course it matters.
            The playoffs generate revenue.

Teams need to lose in the playoffs before winning (usually).

Finally, a team like Edomonton a few years ago made it to the finals as a #8 seed. Hot goaltending, hot special teams and good coaching can do that to a team.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
              • Jan 2003

Of course it matters.

Finally, a team like Edomonton a few years ago made it to the finals as a #8 seed. Hot goaltending, hot special teams and good coaching can do that to a team.
              I'm not saying it is impossible, but highly improbable.

I don't think the team drops off that much if these people are traded. Plus, you never know what we could bring in for those players.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                I'm not saying it is impossible, but highly improbable.

I don't think the team drops off that much if these people are traded. Plus, you never know what we could bring in for those players.
                The team's performance drops when the TinMan is out.

And since these are expiring deals, the Sabres would (very likely) get AHLers/prospects or picks. Teams that want a Connolly or Kotalik will not give up a roster player that harms their chances.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

Of course it matters.

Umm, hasn't this team already lost in the playoffs 2 out of the past 3 years? This team has experience, they're just not good enough. If this organization actually wakes up and realizes that they need to address some holes at the deadline, then maybe I'll believe we could make some noise in the playoffs. Until this FO smells the coffee, then it's hard to envision a long run.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

The team's performance drops when the TinMan is out.

And since these are expiring deals, the Sabres would (very likely) get AHLers/prospects or picks. Teams that want a Connolly or Kotalik will not give up a roster player that harms their chances.
                    Yes, they would. Teams who want to dump a salary will be more then happy to trade a player off the roster for an expiring contract. In fact, that might be the thing you see more then anything at the deadline. Bigger contracts with a number of years left, going for expiring contract players.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Jan 2004

Jim Kelley Hall of Fame writer and writer of WNY Magazine says that the Sabres are still talking to Kotalik's agent about a new deal but Kotalik wants to test the unrestricted Free Agent waters.

Connolly will be likely be retained, Regier won't trade Connolly because of two reasons, one what he gave up to get Connolly in the Peca deal that sent Peca to the Islanders and two if Regier gets rid of Connolly he's telling the fans that he screwed up on the Peca deal something that he will never admit to, he's got to much pride to admit that he was wrong! (even though it was Peca wanting 4 Million per season and Peca also sitting out that season and demanding to be traded and the Rigas family that had Regier's hands tied in the Peca deal trying to save money for their own private golf course!)

Tallinder or Spacek will be gone the Sabres have Weber, Butler, Gragani ready to step up from the AHL to the NHL and the Sabres might be able to move Spacek or Tallinder at the trade deadline and get a rent-a-player who could help this team go far in the playoffs.

Afinogenov if the Sabres tried to trade him the best they would get for him is maybe a 3rd round draft choice. He's an unrestricted free agent and he'll probably won't get many offers and wind up playing with team Russia.
                      Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 02-05-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                        Yes, they would. Teams who want to dump a salary will be more then happy to trade a player off the roster for an expiring contract. In fact, that might be the thing you see more then anything at the deadline. Bigger contracts with a number of years left, going for expiring contract players.
                        And the Sabres, who are already at 42 million next year, can't afford to bring in any long term big deals.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                          Umm, hasn't this team already lost in the playoffs 2 out of the past 3 years? This team has experience, they're just not good enough. If this organization actually wakes up and realizes that they need to address some holes at the deadline, then maybe I'll believe we could make some noise in the playoffs. Until this FO smells the coffee, then it's hard to envision a long run.
                          You crack me up.

You rip this team saying they are not what they were two years ago and now you are saying they are the same team.

I was wondering if somebody would try this false argument.

Fact is, the team is different, Vanek, Roy and Stafford are first line players now. Kaleta, Paille, Butler, Sekera and MacArthur are all new to the playoffs. Rivet and Ellis have playoff experience elesewhere, but not here.

That is 7 players out 20 that are different. Over 1/3rd. Not the same team at all.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                            • Aug 2002

Connolly must be resigned, injuries or not, this is a different team when he is in the line-up especially on the Power Play...He is done having major injuries in his career...you heard it here first!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                              Connolly must be resigned, injuries or not, this is a different team when he is in the line-up especially on the Power Play...He is done having major injuries in his career...you heard it here first!!!!!
                              Do you want me to change your username to ConnollyWins?

Comment

Working...
                              X