PDA

View Full Version : Falcons' Brooking touched by an angel

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 11:14 AM
(May 9, 2003) -- Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Brooking has a living angel in his life. It is his mother, Brenda Hembree. Ever since he was in middle school, Brooking's mother has been welcoming foster children into their Senoia, Ga., home. It takes a special person and a special family to embrace a complete stranger and make them feel a part of the household for months or sometimes even years. It can be an adjustment, but Brooking feels that overall it is a positive experience for both parties.

Said Brooking, "At first it was strange to come home and have these kids living with us that I didn't know. But these kids were in great need. Most of their parents were trying to recover from drug and alcohol addictions, and they hadn't been taught right from wrong at a young age. My mom has made such a difference to a lot of these kids, and she's just so special. It made me realize that I have been very fortunate to have such a wonderful family. You realize how easy you have it when you see what some of these kids have been through."

Hembree was first exposed to foster care by a neighborhood friend. She was deeply touched by the positive influence that her friend provided for children in need. It wasn't long before she decided to dedicate time and effort to the same purpose.

http://nfl.com/news/story/6361758