PDA

View Full Version : Surprises and Disappointments so far this Season

BlackMetalNinja
02-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Let's hear what you got...

For me, starting with disappointments, number one has to be Jason Pominville. Now, I guess it's partly my fault since I had huge expectations for him this year, but he hasn't been much of a presence in all in my book. I know he's 3rd on the team in points with 42, but I was expecting more like a 70 point season out of him I guess. I figured he could put up 30g and 40a this year and I really expected him to be the leader of the team. In fact, I was hoping he'd be made the Captain. I think last year he showed signs of being this team's leader, but he's kind of been real quiet this season. He's been a good setup man on the PP, but I guess I just thought he'd be a bigger presence in general.

The other disappointment (and no, Max doesn't count, I pretty much expected him to suck) has been Henrik Tallinder. I know he was injured for awhile, but he's kind of vanished as well this season. Again, we've seen flashes of a very good player from him the last few years, but he isn't very consistent at all.

As for surprises, Drew Stafford stands out. I've liked his talent all along, but again, the consistancy hasn't been there. He's been hot as hell as of late though playing with Vanek and Connolly, and his 15 goals and 19 assists are closer to what I expected for the whole season, rather than 2/3 of the way.

I think Sekera has stepped in and played pretty well this year too throughout all the injuries to the D. He's already played in more games this year than he had in his career coming into the season, and while his +/- is a little troubling, I think he's been better than it would indicate. With guys like Teppo and Spacek getting up there, and Paetsch not playing at the level most thought he could, we're going to be counting on Sekera for the next few years.

Finally, and I'm sure this will lead to Losman Wins personal Boner Jam 2000, but Kaleta has been quite pleasently surprising. We all know his role and he plays it well, but he's finally started to learn that he can't just take runs at guys all the time without paying any attention to the play around him. He frustrated the hell out of me the past 2 years taking himself out of the play all the time just to chase down a hit. While he still does it from time to time, he's also become a more valuable player offensively and he's not such a liability when he's on the ice these days.

Overall, the team is right about where I expected them to be this season. I thought they'd make the playoffs, but probably as the 7 or 8 seed. While they are in 7th right now, the nice thing is that they are also only 2 points out of 4th, though the teams just ahead of them have some games in hand yet. They're playing very well as of late and I think they're poised to make a run and jump a few spots in the next couple weeks. They've got a few days off now, which they definitely need, but then they play almost every other night for the rest of the month. Including 2 big games against Carolina who is at their heels and 1 each with the Rangers and Flyers who are just ahead of them.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Surprises
Matt Ellis - After his second call up he has played pretty well. I didn't expect much from a kid claimed on waivers.
Vanek - He is a goal scorer, but I didn't expect him to be up near the top of the league.
Chris Butler - I can't believe how good he has been.

Disappointments
Daniel Paille - I expected this to be his breakout year. He put on some pounds and muscle and, well, nothing.
Tallinder - He went from great expectations to hope they trade him.

OpIv37
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Surpises: Ellis, Sekera, Stafford
Adam Mair- he's been much better at actually playing hockey this year and he hits hard
Gaustad- the guy's great on face offs and good on special teams, especially the PK

Disappointments:
Tallinder- two years ago he was arguably our best defender. Now I'd probably put him 4th.
Paille- started hot, went stone cold
Max- it's hard to call him a disappointment because I didn't have high expectations, but the guy's so skilled that I keep hoping he'll eventually stop the razzle-dazzle **** on every play and learn how to play hockey. He won't.

tampabay25690
02-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Besides MAX definitely PAILLE....

chernobylwraiths
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I have to agree with BMN on one point. Pomminville has been a huge disappointment this year. He is virtually invisible this year and I think a huge part of that has been the equally disappointing play of Hecht. Hecht has been very weak this season and shows almost no life out there at times. Paille has been poor, but I will chalk that up to youth, an excuse he only gets to use this once. Tallinder is mostly disappointing because he keeps getting injured.

On the flip side, there are tons of things I am happy about so I will separate them into two groups.

The real surprises for me are: Butler - the kids has stuck with the club almost all season. Lindy isn't known for letting rookies play that much. He isn't great, but for a rookie, he is playing pretty steady. Derek Roy - he is really impressing me this year. He has stopped the crappy diving and puts forth a very good effort. I just wish he would stop trying to pass the puck through the opposition all the time.

Pleasant surprises: Miller- I felt he was a top tier goalie all along, but lately he has shown to be much better than I thought. Last year, he got little help and it showed in the Sabres not making the playoffs. This year, at times he has gotten just as little help but he has been that much better. This team would be nowhere without Miller. Stafford has been on fire as of late, but besides the goals, he is throwing his weight around and been a bit of a pest as well. The Sabres desperately need that kind of play. I just wish it could rub off a little on Kotalik.

Gaustad, Mair and Kaleta are exactly what I thought they would be. Maybe Mair is a bit more offensive looking, but they are bangers and play the part well. Gaustad is captain material, a very good leader by example, plays hard all the time, does whatever it takes to win, I just wish he had some more touch around the net.

Conclusion - This team is solid for runs for a few years. They need some dynamic player offensively to scare opponents and some more toughness. They need more people willing to put their bodies on the line. That's what it takes to win the Cup.

chernobylwraiths
02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I thought this thread had promise.

BlackMetalNinja
02-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought this thread had promise.Thanks so did I... :ill:

chernobylwraiths
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry for killing it.