PDA

View Full Version : A Realistic and Gratifying Offseason

jpdex12
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Free Agency

C-Jason Brown (Solidifies a Position of Need)
QB-Simms (Re-sign Hamden)
WR-Amani Toomer (Veteran Presence, Teach Johnson and Hardy)
OLB-Re-sign Crowell/Dig/Ellison(Bowen will be back from knee injury)
DT-Jovan Haye (Solid DT with Mass and Cover 2 D Experience)

Draft

1-DE Everette Brown (Amazing Speed off the Edge)
2-TE Shawn Nelson (Diamond in the Rough...Probowler)
3-S Kevin Ellison (Very smart, Insinctive and Plays hard)
4-C Eric Wood (Can Play Center and Guard)
5-WR Juan Cosby (Fast and Reliable, Good depth)
6-QB Mike Teel (Project)
7-OT ? (The Next Jason Peters)

X-Era
02-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Free Agency

Draft

6-QB Mike Teel (Project)

I could really see this one!

I would not be a big fan of the Kevin Ellison pick, and Wood may end up being the #1 C prospect (although there is a big group that rates about the same) so I dont think he would last till the 4th. Also its Quan Cosby.

But I like it.

DraftBoy
02-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Free Agency

Draft

6-QB Mike Teel (Project)

Why do we sign Brown and then take Wood? Brown is only 26 so we'd have a good young OC behind him to just sit there? I dont like the Ellison, Cosby, or Teel pick. You have your next Peters in Demetrius Bell project already. And Nelson is going too early in Round 2. Signing our old scrubs (Ellison) to come back and relying on injured players to fill holes is not a situation I want to get into. Id rather bring in new players since we at least can get better with them. Ellison makes us no better.

jpdex12
02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I could really see this one!

I would not be a big fan of the Kevin Ellison pick, and Wood may end up being the #1 C prospect (although there is a big group that rates about the same) so I dont think he would last till the 4th. Also its Quan Cosby.

But I like it.

Oh, I forgot! We need to re-sign Greer! Very important.

jpdex12
02-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Why do we sign Brown and then take Wood? Brown is only 26 so we'd have a good young OC behind him to just sit there? I dont like the Ellison, Cosby, or Teel pick. You have your next Peters in Demetrius Bell project already. And Nelson is going too early in Round 2. Signing our old scrubs (Ellison) to come back and relying on injured players to fill holes is not a situation I want to get into. Id rather bring in new players since we at least can get better with them. Ellison makes us no better.

We sign Brown and draft Wood to create "good" depth at both the Guard and Center position and keep Preston. Wood wouldn't just sit there either, haven't you seen how often offensive linemen rotate because of giving someone a break or replacing an injured player?

Of course if you want to see us be affected by injuries yet again for a third straight year and have it decide whether or not we miss the playoffs for a 10th straight year...

D. Bell looks promising but I don't think it's wise to bank on finding another probowler out of an undrafted player. Besides, don't you think that the possibilities are higher than usual that #71 will hold out again? I think it's more than 60% chance he will. You forget about how cheap Ralph is?

Wait until Nelson performs at the combine. He'll have scouts licking his sweaty jock straps over him. If you think a player is good enough you don't wait until you think he should go because you will lose him to another team. Nelson will need some fine tuning but he is going to be special very soon! He's worth it.

And as far as signing our old scrubs, our old scrubs don't need a learning curve. Crowell would have played last year if he and the team didn't have their problem which will be patched up. Crowell was a good OLB and he will continue to be for a price Ralph will like. Ellison gives us depth and will play even better with his younger, smarter and more athletic brother on the team.

psubills62
02-10-2009, 10:33 AM
We sign Brown and draft Wood to create "good" depth at both the Guard and Center position and keep Preston. Wood wouldn't just sit there either, haven't you seen how often offensive linemen rotate because of giving someone a break or replacing an injured player?

Of course if you want to see us be affected by injuries yet again for a third straight year and have it decide whether or not we miss the playoffs for a 10th straight year...

D. Bell looks promising but I don't think it's wise to bank on finding another probowler out of an undrafted player. Besides, don't you think that the possibilities are higher than usual that #71 will hold out again? I think it's more than 60% chance he will. You forget about how cheap Ralph is?

Wait until Nelson performs at the combine. He'll have scouts licking his sweaty jock straps over him. If you think a player is good enough you don't wait until you think he should go because you will lose him to another team. Nelson will need some fine tuning but he is going to be special very soon! He's worth it.

And as far as signing our old scrubs, our old scrubs don't need a learning curve. Crowell would have played last year if he and the team didn't have their problem which will be patched up. Crowell was a good OLB and he will continue to be for a price Ralph will like. Ellison gives us depth and will play even better with his younger, smarter and more athletic brother on the team.

I'm confused...you don't think it's wise to bank on an undrafted player becoming a Pro-Bowler (by the way, Bell was taken in the 7th), but you have us taking an OT in the 7th who you want to be the next Jason Peters?

I'm pretty sure Bell is supposed to be that mold: a guy who needs time to develop, but could become a very good LT.

Overall, it's an OK mock offseason. Ellison is going too high, and Wood will be gone by the 4th.

jpdex12
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I know where Bell was taken and whether his promise turns into him being a solid backup or a starter has yet to be seen. What I'm clearly stating is that if you think it's common to sign an undrafted player and expect him to become a probowler it's not going to happen very often. We got lucky with Peters.

jpdex12
02-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I know where Bell was taken and whether his promise turns into him being a solid backup or a starter has yet to be seen. What I'm clearly stating is that if you think it's common to sign an undrafted player and expect him to become a probowler it's not going to happen very often. We got lucky with Peters.

No I don't think it is wise to rely on an undrafted player to fill a position of such importance. Who would?

ParanoidAndroid
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd switch that 5th round flier to DE or OLB. Bringing in Toomer is good enough considering the presence of Johnson and Hardy.

jpdex12
02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I'd switch that 5th round flier to DE or OLB. Bringing in Toomer is good enough considering the presence of Johnson and Hardy.

Even with Hardy missing most of the upcoming 2009 season recovering from that ACL injury and trying to play catchup?