X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

NHL All-Star Game in Buffalo?

Why hasn't the All-Star game been back since 1978 over 30 years now...this just proves Bettman hates Buffalo...

The LA Kings and Montreal has had it twice since Buffalo had it last. Vancouver hosted in 1977 and it was back there in 1998.

They'll be no game next year due to the Olympics and Phoenix is scheduled to have it 2011.

This shouldn't bug me but it does.
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Re: NHL All-Star Game in Buffalo?

I would have to think the accomodations and the surrounding area has something to do with it. If they get that area fixed up the way they want, then maybe. I would look forward to it but I will probably be dead by the time the waterfront is finished.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

If Bettman hated Buffalo so much we wouldn't have a team.

Comment

• Myers57
        Registered User and McLovin stunt double
        • Sep 2003

It's not that Bettman hates Buffalo, it's that the league has stated that Buffalo does not have enough Hotel space to accomadate the event

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Afinogenov61
          It's not that Bettman hates Buffalo, it's that the league has stated that Buffalo does not have enough Hotel space to accomadate the event
          The NHL draft has been here twice since the All-Star game, if I recall correctly; I'd think that would need more hotel space, with all the prospects in town.
          Not to mention the Frozen Four, World Juniors and Winter Classic.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
            The NHL draft has been here twice since the All-Star game, if I recall correctly; I'd think that would need more hotel space, with all the prospects in town.
            Couldn't have said it better myself. No, really, I didn't even think of the Frozen Four, and World Juniors. Though the Winter Classic was just one game and two teams.

I've wondered why we haven't gotten the game for a long time as well. I had heard that they wanted to give it to alternate it with not necessarily hockey markets, like Phoenix. Hopefully in a few years, while I still have season tickets at least.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
              Don't forget about the March Madness games that have also been held in Buffalo....

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                Don't forget about the March Madness games that have also been held in Buffalo....
                Basketball is not allowed in the Sabres Zone!
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Myers57
                  Registered User and McLovin stunt double
                  • Sep 2003

The draft doesn't even come close to the all star game! Have you ever been to one of the arenas during it? They're only half full!

Was anybody here for when we hosted the draft?

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Hotel space is a non- issue.

- We aren't in a city that needs an All-Star game to promote it's home team to keep it afloat (See Atlanta)

- We aren't a Canadian city (See Vancouver)

- We built a new building in a year there were a lot of buildings built

- The Olympics eliminated 25% of the all star games

- Our team is not a historically significant team having a 75th or 100th anniversary

Personally, I would dump the all star game. Try to work with the World Championship tournament people to have them play that in June so it doesn't conflict with the NHL Playoffs. That format allows for more stars playing for their national teams.

Then you have the best players in the world playing for something more important.

Comment

• Mski
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      Personally, I would dump the all star game. Try to work with the World Championship tournament people to have them play that in June so it doesn't conflict with the NHL Playoffs. That format allows for more stars playing for their national teams.

Then you have the best players in the world playing for something more important.
                      are you saying the world championships are more important to the players than the stanley cup?

that being said, the NHL doesnt own the stanley cup, and we are lucky they got to keep it during the lock out year
                      RIP Tommy D!
                      12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Afinogenov61
                        The draft doesn't even come close to the all star game! Have you ever been to one of the arenas during it? They're only half full!

Was anybody here for when we hosted the draft?
                        I was at the Lindros draft, and it was a decent crowd except for the part behind the stage, of course. Plus remember the floor is full too.

I would think the draft would have a higher ratio of out-of-town people, with all the prospects and their families and all the teams represented. Wouldn't the crowd at an AS game be more local?

And add the Stanley Cup finals -- multiple games, much shorter notice, massive media -- to my list of big events that have been/will be here. Compared to that, an AS game should be cake.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog

I miss the Canada Cup. That was awesome hockey. Another World Cup will be held in 2011.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                            If Bettman hated Buffalo so much we wouldn't have a team.
                            Bettman loves Buffalo and the great fanbase that is here. Buffalo is one of the best hockey markets in the NHL...Bettman does not hate Buffalo!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

Don't kill me when I say this but.......It's not the sexy city that the NHL wants to show if you look at $$$$$$$$$$$.......Look at downtown and all the empty buildings.....Maybe Im worng but thats what I think........Trust me I luv BUFFALO as much as you guys but what does the rest of the NHL actually think
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X