• Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

This is an issue thats at the heart of our mediocrity

Take a look at Chris Brown's response to a fan:

2. Hi Chris,
    To me Poz seems like he’s not adept at shedding blockers near the line of scrimmage…..he makes lots of tackles, but seems like too many go for 5+ yards and not enough tough stuffs. But Poz remains a good play maker…do you think he has the skill set to move to OLB so we might get a stud MLB like Rey Maualuga in the draft?
    Rick Natelson
    CB: I think Poz very accurately stated his shortcomings on locker clean out day at the end of the season. He said there were a lot of times where he felt he was half a step away from making a big play, and he chalked it up to simply not diagnosing plays quickly enough. That was due in part to the fact that he was essentially a rookie last season after playing just 2 ½ games in 2007.
    With a full year under his belt I believe and so do his defensive coaches that he’ll make more big plays defensively in year three. That being said he did make a handful of big plays this season with his INT against the Jets, He also had a fumble recovery and a forced fumble on the season. He was also fourth on the team in pass breakups with 7. I think he’ll only get better and turn a lot more of those types of plays in come 2009.

First off, this post is not about Poz. Its about the way we build our team.

Basically, we have a 4 year deal with Poz, 2 of those years are now gone and Chris is saying that finally, in year three, we could get a high quality LB out of Poz. I think he was very good this year but not stellar, but again this isnt about Poz.

My point is that we rely so much on the draft to build this team. Heres an example of possibly getting two years of high quality play out of a guy you drafted. His first year was a bust due to injury, his second year was his rookie year really, and his third year we hope to get high quality play, the year after his contracts up and he may leave.

THis year were banking on improving our pass rush most likely from the draft... doesn this show that we could very well get little to no real imporvement if were relying on a rookie? Werent we supposed to get our #2 WR last year in Hardy?

Thsi team banks on rookies to make them better, but wont realize that its takes years to develop them, and in the mean time were left losing guys from their rookie contracts to other teams, and not getting better at what we need to get better at now.

We need to invest more in free agency and trades if we want to have real, appreciable improvement year to year.

• GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: This is an issue thats at the heart of our mediocrity

They are a farm team. They have been for a while now.

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

So, at the heart of the Bills mediocrity is injuries to rookies?
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

the best teams do build through the draft, with a key free agent or 2.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
          the best teams do build through the draft, with a key free agent or 2.
          Bingo. Anyone want to tell me how active Indianapolis is in free agency? The Patriots aren't usually very active either, they typically just try and fill holes (getting Welker and Moss solidified the WR position in 2007).

The goal of the draft is to use the first couple rounds to build a core group of players. In the later rounds, they either try to find backups, role players, or potential developmental starters. Free agency is used to fill holes that aren't filled in the draft.

Almost ALWAYS, free agents are overpaid because teams are competing to sign them. This hasn't really been discussed, but I'd guess that it's 50/50 as far as drafted players who are overpaid versus drafted players who are underpaid. It's easier to get a good deal for a player in the draft (outside of the top ten, that is).
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

First, if Poz's statement and Brown's analysis were accurate, he would have been better at the end of the season (after 14 or 15 games), but he wasn't. He won't magically get that half step by NOT playing football all off season.

Second, this is exactly why this team is in a perpetual rebuilding cycle. They never fill holes in FA (when they try, they do a poor job of it), and between bad drafting and the time it takes for players to develop, new holes evolve before all the old holes are ever fixed.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Wally The Barber
              • Jul 2007

The draft is one one of 3 building tools used to develop a team.

We drafted the base core of players, its now time to fill holes with Veterans or with quality proven drafted players of the last few years.

We are just now reaching the end of the rebuilding process but that does not mean we will continue to build through the draft only

I will wait till after free agency, waiver wire, trades before I draw any conclusions

This team is not mediocre, the team simply is not playing very well and needs to address some glaring weaknesses.
              Last edited by Wally The Barber; 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM.
              Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                • Dec 2005

There needs to be a balance between FA signees and GOOD draft picks.

Look at the Jets and Cowboys last season. They both made big splashes in the FA market and neither team made the playoffs. How many big name FA aquires did Az and Pitt get the past season?

Teams that try to buy a super bowl like the cowboys, jets, redskins and so on only find that making the playoffs is a challenge in the end. Teams that have good talent evaluaters and make good picks in the draft end up being teams that are dominate or atleast competitive for years.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THE SLAMMER

This team is not mediocre, the team simply is not playing very well and needs to address some glaring weaknesses.
                  So, the team isn't playing well and has glaring weaknesses, but they're NOT mediocre?

What exactly is your definition of "mediocre"? And where does 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons fit into that definition?
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    So, the team isn't playing well and has glaring weaknesses, but they're NOT mediocre?

What exactly is your definition of "mediocre"? And where does 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons fit into that definition?
                    The lack of pass rush is making the defense look worse then it actually is.

Injuries to key positions with no Quality back up is the main reason for 7-9
                    Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

The lack of pass rush is making the defense look worse then it actually is.

Injuries to key positions with no Quality back up is the main reason for 7-9
                      what injuries? We didn't have many injuries this season- just Crowell and Reed, mostly. Schobel missed some time but he wasn't exactly effective when he did play.
                      You stated reasons why we are bad- and I agree with that- but those are the exact reasons why we're mediocre: no depth and no pass rush.

And you didn't even mention the offense. They were putrid.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                        Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                        • Dec 2005

The Bills have a Offense?

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                          • Jul 2007

what injuries? We didn't have many injuries this season- just Crowell and Reed, mostly. Schobel missed some time but he wasn't exactly effective when he did play.
                          You stated reasons why we are bad- and I agree with that- but those are the exact reasons why we're mediocre: no depth and no pass rush.

Offense

No down field blocking
                          No consistent TE
                          Predictable running plays to the left.
                          Under sized WR's
                          Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Offense

No down field blocking
                            No consistent TE
                            Predictable running plays to the left.
                            Under sized WR's
                            Again, agreed- but when you combine all that stuff with the problems with the D that you already mentioned, you don't think the team is mediocre? That's what I don't understand. You seem to recognize the team's problems, and clearly you're aware of their 7-9 record, so why do you think they're not mediocre?
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                              • Jul 2007

Again, agreed- but when you combine all that stuff with the problems with the D that you already mentioned, you don't think the team is mediocre? That's what I don't understand. You seem to recognize the team's problems, and clearly you're aware of their 7-9 record, so why do you think they're not mediocre?
                              I think the problems with this team is mostly young players that are being tossed around by veteran teams or superior coaching

The entire roster needs to play at a higher level and I think they will.

I think with some key additions they can make the playoffs in 2009

The defense didn't win one game for the team in 2008

That has got to change to have a chance
                              Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                              X