PDA

View Full Version : Portis reports to minicamp, as expected

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 11:26 AM
DENVER -- Denver Broncos running back Clinton Portis feels he's working at minimum wage and wants to re-do his contract. The Broncos say they'll offer more money, but only if Portis commits to a longer term.

Whatever the outcome of the money dispute, Portis promised Friday that it won't affect his play or his attendance at minicamps and training camp.

Portis, who annoyed coach Mike Shanahan by working out in the offseason in Florida instead of with his teammates in the Broncos' offseason program, showed up at the first day of the team's three-day minicamp Friday -- outspoken but conciliatory.

Agent David Ware had told ESPN.com on Wednesday that Portis would show up at the weekend camp and emphasized his contract situation will not be a distraction during the three days of workouts.

Portis, a second-round draft choice last year from Miami, signed a four-year, $2.65 million contract that included a $1.29 million signing bonus. Typical of contracts the Broncos offer to second-rounders, it included no incentives.

Not only did Portis win a starting job in his rookie year, he rushed for 1,508 yards and was named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year. Now he wants to be rewarded.

"Winning rookie of the year and being the fourth-leading rusher in the NFL and getting paid minimum, that would be your problem, too,'' he said. "It's like doing your job and getting paid minimum wage and you have qualifications.''

Portis said it was upsetting to see a current rookie make nearly as much as he is making and to see a veteran who plays only on special teams earn more.

"But I'm here,'' he said. "I can't worry about the contract thing or whether the Broncos will re-do my contract. That's on the Broncos. If not, I'm stuck in a four-year deal, and I've got to deal with it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0509/1551702.html