PDA

View Full Version : Last night's offense

HenryRules
08-30-2002, 11:59 AM
A lot of people have said that our offense was horrible last night (mostly in the papers, haven't read too many posts so far yet). I think that our passing game was actually pretty good. When you consider that if Moulds had have been in there instead of Johnson, that's probably 3 more completions that we should have had and each would have extended a drive, if I remember correctly. Bledsoe made the right throws most of the time, its just that Johnson isn't half the receiver that Moulds is and couldn't catch the ball when hit in the hands, let alone when he had to jump for it (Moulds is 2 inches taller than Johnson and more athletic so that ball that went off Johnson's finger tips right by the sideline would have been caught by Moulds). Bledsoe even showed some skills evading the rushers and scrambling somewhat (although he had to do this too often).
What hurt our offense was a lack of discipline by the OL (too many penalties), a lack of opening holes by the OL, a lack of holding on to the ball by running backs in key situations, and running backs looking horrible in the backfield (Huntley and Bryson - Morris looked good though and Henry looked adequate). In case you're curious what I'm referring to, the one time that Bryson was met in the backfield by an opposing player, he didn't try to spin, fake, or anything, he just collapsed so the guy wouldn't hit him hard. He fumbled on another carry and I can't really remember too much else of his play. Huntley, looked stupid a couple of times, not being able to read where his blocks were coming from by either the OL or the receivers.

Romes
08-30-2002, 12:10 PM
IMO, among other things a key reason why the Bills looked so bad on offense was that they were 1-12 on 3rd downs. When there weren't penalties they did alright at moving the ball, but as soon as 3rd down came which at some point it inevitably does, the bills froze.

HenryRules
08-30-2002, 12:13 PM
CBF, at least 2 of those 3rd downs that I remember with the first team offense were drops by Johnson that Moulds would have caught. If I remember correctly, catching those balls would have made the first string offense around 3 for 5 or 3 for 6 on third downs which is pretty good.

lordofgun
08-30-2002, 01:24 PM
I wish I could have actually seen the game. It sounded terribble on the radio. Thank God the regular season is HERE!

casdhf
08-30-2002, 01:35 PM
The defense played very well, I thought

JefftheBillsfan
08-30-2002, 01:36 PM
the D has come along way IMO.

JefftheBillsfan
08-30-2002, 01:38 PM
they played real well in the first few minutes. newman was a force as was our D-line. wire was playing well untill he got beat...but other than that...we looked like a top 5 D...even if it was just against the Lions.

HenryRules
08-30-2002, 01:42 PM
Speaking of the D, Prioleau played amazing. IMO, he was the best Bill last night. He made a nice stop on a 3rd and short, some other good plays on D I can't remember and some good hits on special teams as well.

JefftheBillsfan
08-30-2002, 01:44 PM
oh yeah...forgot about Prioleau...he did have a great game!

RedEyE
08-30-2002, 08:39 PM
You have to love Sammy's stiff arm. He threw it out several times making defenders look ridiculous. It would be nice if he could hold on to the ball. The first thing I thought about when he fumbled was the game HE lost against Miami.
Personally, I think Huntley looks slow. His legs look good but his indecisiveness could cost the Bills precious yardage.

Last night Rone, Bostic, Prileou, Thomas, and Kazadi all played well. Reed also slipped in there for 59yards with his stealth like abilites.

colin
08-30-2002, 09:10 PM
PP, Jenkins, Wire, Watson. These guys are very good for the depth they are. With our starting corners being ninjas (Buckeye Ninjas) our secondary is gonna be ball hawking. I will not mind a bottom half run D if we are top 10 in INTS.

venis2k1
08-30-2002, 10:30 PM
i dont know what game you were watching,(i didnt watch it, i listened to it) but according to the rushing stats:

__________ATT____YDS___TD___LG

S. Morris___10______37___0____15
A. Van Pelt__2______13___0_____8
S. Bryson___1______4____ 0_____4
T. Henry____2 _____-1____0_____0
R. Huntley___5_____-1___ 0_____6

So if bryson got smashed in the backfeild, and only had one attempt, the o-line must have gotten one heck of a push to gain 4 yards. i'm not saying it didn't happen, i didn't actully see the game but i am saying that the numbers don't show it

Stewie
08-31-2002, 12:27 AM
Can't wait for the Jets. I hope we dont suck!! :)

HenryRules
08-31-2002, 09:07 AM
v2k1, if I remember correctly (which considering its a couple of days later, I may not be) the play was nullified because of offsides on the defense. Regardless of that play, fumbling on one third of your carries is not a good game. By the way, I am positive that Bryson's fumble was nullified due to an offsides penalty by the Lions.