• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

On Peppers and the Bills

So, I cant see us paying top dollar to anyone. Peppers will command top money.

But if you can spend 7 mill per for a damn G, why cant you spend 8 or even 9 for Peppers?

I was a fan of simply drafting a DE in the 1st round to fix our biggest issue which is pass rush. However, Chris Brown now mentions that none of the top 3 DE's (Orakpo, Brown, Maybin) seem to be good fits for a 4-3. Theres a growing number that agree. So what then? Later in round 1 or beyond for a guy like Jackson or Johnson? Maybe.

What about trading our 1st rounder for Peppers? I can see teams shying away from the big contract and giving up a 1st rounder.

But if we seriously wanted a DE in the 1st round, dont we get that guy in Peppers?

The more specific thought is this:

1) We want a DE in the 1st round considering we cant get Curry and no other OLB is worthy of the 11 pick
    2) None of the top 3 DE's are 4-3 fits
    3) Peppers is franchised which may happen according to this:

My thought was that trading for him after hes franchised may actually save us money and make it more possible. Why? Well the thought was that if he hits the market in free agency, he will likely go to the highest bidder and teams with no issues in dropping huge money will most likely land him.

However, if he is in a trade situation where a team has to give up a 1st rounder, teams with lots of money but other needs may shy away. Then the highest bidder is the team giving the highest pick. Peppers may take less because there isnt the huge contract out there. We end up spending our 1st on a proven stud DE who can definitely play in the 4-3, and we save some money in landing that star.

Its a a lot to give up for a player, I realize. But were talking about a 14.5 sack guy who needs no development, is a proven star, and perpetual pro-bowler. Would you rather have a unproven rookie DE who may not even fit the scheme? You still will pay pretty hefty dollar to him, look at Harveys contract: 5 years 23 mill.... for an unproven player who may not even fit the scheme

I think this is extremely unlikely. But if were serious about getting better this is an example of how you might do it.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: On Peppers and the Bills

Orakpo, Brown & Maybin could play OLB and bring the heat off the shoulder of the DE.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
      Orakpo, Brown & Maybin could play OLB and bring the heat off the shoulder of the DE.
      Supposedly, they can only play OLB in a 3-4... Its still a bit fuzzy to me as to why, but thats what Im hearing.

Basically, I keep hearing that they wont fit in our scheme at all.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

Pepper will never be a Bill.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

wouldnt we have to give up 2 firsts if he's franchised?

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

I said it before and I'll say it again. Buffalo does not fit Peppers needs for two reasons. 1- Charlotte is too small of a market for him. He is a very private person and hates being recognized in public. He will sit with a baseball cap and a hooded sweated shirt over his head at a restaurant in the hopes of not being recognized. He desires a big city market. Charlotte embraced him and he did not want that. He wanted to just be someone in the crowd. That will not happen in Buffalo. 2- The Bills scheme does not fit what Peppers desires to play.
            Also, he will get more than 8-9 million. My hunch is somewhere in the 11+ million a year range.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by don137
              I said it before and I'll say it again. Buffalo does not fit Peppers needs for two reasons. 1- Charlotte is too small of a market for him. He is a very private person and hates being recognized in public. He will sit with a baseball cap and a hooded sweated shirt over his head at a restaurant in the hopes of not being recognized. He desires a big city market. Charlotte embraced him and he did not want that. He wanted to just be someone in the crowd. That will not happen in Buffalo. 2- The Bills scheme does not fit what Peppers desires to play.
              Also, he will get more than 8-9 million. My hunch is somewhere in the 11+ million a year range.
              1- If he is so private, going to a big city where he will be under the scrutiny of 10x as many people is not going to help.
              2 - He said he wants to play in a 3-4, yet in the 3-4 ends are not really pass-rushers, they have to play the run much more often. if they use him as a Demarcus Ware type, that would probably work, but other than that I think he is best suited as a 4-3 end.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

C'mon guys, really, we really need this discussion? There is no possible way will Peppers ever be a Bill.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                  C'mon guys, really, we really need this discussion? There is no possible way will Peppers ever be a Bill.
                  1 - its the offseason, let us dream.

2 - never say never. I wouldnt have thought we would ever trade for stroud either, to be honest.

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                    • Jul 2007

NO PASS RUSH=NO PLAYOFFS

I saw this posted here before the 2008 season.
                    Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

peppers is on records as saying he wants to play in a 3-4 defense. that puts the bills on the outside. even moreso than usual.

Peppers is not realistic.

the bills need to target players who want to play the game. there are a lot of people out there. There are a few number of players who want to dictate where they go. They'll only play for so and so. even if the bills win a bidding war, getting a guy like that means he isn't going to give his all. the game is secondary.

There are a lot of good players who just want to prove themselves. the bills need those guys. i'm ok not taking the biggest and best names, but we need to get guys who have a drive to play the game and not about if they can eat dinner with or without a hat on.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                        Supposedly, they can only play OLB in a 3-4... Its still a bit fuzzy to me as to why, but thats what Im hearing.

Anyone who says that is just saying it for the purpose of draft talk. When draft gurus say that what they are really saying is that those 3 players would excel as OLB in a 3-4, not necessarily that they can't play DE in a 4-3.

Brown and Orakpo are the same size as Robert Mathis (Mathis is actually lighter and shorter and made the pro-bowl this year), Daryl Tapp, Elvis Dumervil, John Abraham, Gaines Adams, Osi Umenyiora and the list goes on.

These guys are good athletes and excellent pass rushers plain and simple. And if a 4-3 team drafts them they have the same chance to bust as they would as 3-4 OLBs....

Look at Kamerion Wimbley and Manny Lawson, they were projected as cant miss 3-4 OLBs. So far they are busts and for all we know they might have been much better of as DEs in a 4-3.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

Then they should change schemes because ours sucks!

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            Anyone who says that is just saying it for the purpose of draft talk. When draft gurus say that what they are really saying is that those 3 players would excel as OLB in a 3-4, not necessarily that they can't play DE in a 4-3.

Brown and Orakpo are the same size as Robert Mathis (Mathis is actually lighter and shorter and made the pro-bowl this year), Daryl Tapp, Elvis Dumervil, John Abraham, Gaines Adams, Osi Umenyiora and the list goes on.

These guys are good athletes and excellent pass rushers plain and simple. And if a 4-3 team drafts them they have the same chance to bust as they would as 3-4 OLBs....

Look at Kamerion Wimbley and Manny Lawson, they were projected as cant miss 3-4 OLBs. So far they are busts and for all we know they might have been much better of as DEs in a 4-3.
                            Nice post...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

But if you can spend 7 mill per for a damn G, why cant you spend 8 or even 9 for Peppers?
                              What makes you think thats all Pepper will want from the bills?

All Peppers has to do is look at what we're paying Kelsay and aaron and ask for a salary in comparison to what their production is to his and we're screwed.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X