PDA

View Full Version : Favre likely to retire

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2009, 09:04 AM
...maybe. He told his agent to tell the Jets he isnt coming back. My buddy also heard the same thing on ESPN radio, same story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

i hadnt seen anything about this posted at all, sorry if it already was somewhere else.

Jan Reimers
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
That's too bad. He would have made the Jets worse and worse as his skills eroded with increasing age.

Wally The Barber
02-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry, I don't believe anything he says

M
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Here we go. Again.

trapezeus
02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Favre has become the old pop star who keeps talking about how his next album is going "to drop" and be "the best stuff he's ever worked on". And as the release date comes up, he pushes it back because of minor things, then publicity issues, then a drug addiction, the another album tweak. And when it finally comes out, its so derivative and annoying, you hate him more than when you saw all the pre-release drama.

Brett Favre, GO AWAY! For a guy who supposedly loves the game so much, love the game and leave it alone. This isn't a lot to ask for. I hope his retirement papers get intercepted.

Wally The Barber
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Every time I think he is gone I think of this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pKymngWgJw

don137
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
:lastyr:

mybills
02-11-2009, 10:04 AM
For a guy who supposedly loves the game so much, love the game and leave it alone.
Ever think that his love for the game is what conflicts him? He probably knows he should retire, but he loves it too much.

Syderick
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
NFL.com has Adam Schefter reporting it now:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/11/favres-agent-retirement-is-for-good/

trapezeus
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Ever think that his love for the game is what conflicts him? He probably knows he should retire, but he loves it too much.

where is at financially and mentally, he should have spoken to all the greats who have preceded him. Everyone goes through this. Jim Kelly, Marino, etc, these guys complained of the same thing. But their love of the game kept them from making a mockery of their last 5 seasons. Kelly was courted briefly by the ravens.

And the Packers even gave him a payout to just stay away and he turned his back.

You can't confuse his arrogance with "love of the game". I was never a huge favre fan, but i never despised him until these stories kept popping up. It's clear to me that he is an ego maniac and enjoys being the center of attention, even if it has to be negative attention.

If he was a black player, people wouldn't have the patience for this game he plays. and that's an unfortunate double standard.

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
where is at financially and mentally, he should have spoken to all the greats who have preceded him. Everyone goes through this. Jim Kelly, Marino, etc, these guys complained of the same thing. But their love of the game kept them from making a mockery of their last 5 seasons. Kelly was courted briefly by the ravens.

And the Packers even gave him a payout to just stay away and he turned his back.

You can't confuse his arrogance with "love of the game". I was never a huge favre fan, but i never despised him until these stories kept popping up. It's clear to me that he is an ego maniac and enjoys being the center of attention, even if it has to be negative attention.

If he was a black player, people wouldn't have the patience for this game he plays. and that's an unfortunate double standard.

sorry but where did race ever come into this?? they did it with MJ like 4 times, so whats your point??

madness
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
NFL.com has Adam Schefter reporting it now:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/11/favres-agent-retirement-is-for-good/

It also means that the trade compensation on Favre is complete. New York will surrender its third-round pick in April to Green Bay and the Packers will send the Jets their seventh-round pick in 2010.

The Jets may get relief from their 10 million+ over the cap but at least they lose a 3rd as well.

I heard he retired simply because the Jets denied his request to move his private office by the equipment room to a skybox.

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I heard he retired simply because the Jets denied his request to move his private office by the equipment room to a skybox.

Where did you hear that??

DraftBoy
02-11-2009, 10:56 AM
So long sucker!

trapezeus
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
sorry but where did race ever come into this?? they did it with MJ like 4 times, so whats your point??

i just mentioned it. I think a lot of people are fed up with Favre's wishywashyness on this, yet they grin and bear it. i don't think if a TO did this, he'd be treated the same. And TO is also a great receiver who just happens to be an ego maniac. They are one in the same. Yet TO is a distraction and a headache. lockerroom cancer

Favre is a guy who loves the game. Guys in the lockerroom are just excited to be around this guy even if he's talking retirement with 3 games to go and playoffs on the line.

That's the only reason i brought race into this.

MikeInRoch
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
i just mentioned it. I think a lot of people are fed up with Favre's wishywashyness on this, yet they grin and bear it. i don't think if a TO did this, he'd be treated the same. And TO is also a great receiver who just happens to be an ego maniac. They are one in the same. Yet TO is a distraction and a headache. lockerroom cancer

Favre is a guy who loves the game. Guys in the lockerroom are just excited to be around this guy even if he's talking retirement with 3 games to go and playoffs on the line.

I'm sorry, but you are completely full of ****.

a) Farve and TO are no where near the same.
b) I don't see how you think Farve is getting any sort of 'free pass' from anyway.
c) You have no basis on which to conclude that race would have anything to do with it.

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2009, 11:14 AM

just because TO is a d***head does not mean that people dont empathize with black people. If TO was white, and pulled these same stunts, people would probably hate him just as much, maybe even more.

Also, TO being a douche and acting a fool is totally different than Favre not being able to decide whether he is done or not.

This being said, I kinda see where you're coming from, but dont think you're right. Again, I use the MJ example. He was beloved by all, changed his mind like 4 times, and is still loved just as much.

madness
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Where did you hear that??

:jk: I'm just busting chops for Farve getting his own private office.

mybills
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I think a lot of people are fed up with Favre's wishywashyness on this
trapezeus is. :up:

trapezeus
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
just because TO is a d***head does not mean that people dont empathize with black people. If TO was white, and pulled these same stunts, people would probably hate him just as much, maybe even more.

Also, TO being a douche and acting a fool is totally different than Favre not being able to decide whether he is done or not.

This being said, I kinda see where you're coming from, but dont think you're right. Again, I use the MJ example. He was beloved by all, changed his mind like 4 times, and is still loved just as much.

i'm not trying to use this as what is right and wrong with american race issues. this is just one example where i think a white player who has played through pain, has single handedly helped his teams acheive great things, and has a love/hate relationship with the media gets treated one way and a black player who has played through pain, singlehandedly helped his teams acheive great things and has a love/hate relationship with the media getes treated another way.

That is my only point. I think it happens more than we care to recognize.

As for favre and favre only, i hate that this guy sucked for close to 3/4 of the year, but we lost both times to him. And i think the bills would be greatly aided if:
1. Favre played again in 2009 and played worse as we all suspect he would.
or
2. If favre comes back to play for minnesota, the packers better follow through and put the smack down on the jets (as some people reported about his contract) and take all the picks they can get.

I won't really be happy until i know that favre singlehandedly set the jets back 5 years.

Jan Reimers
02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Favre has that arrogant, "I'm a big star" mentality that allows him to think he can hold the Jets up forever, and that the fans will continue to wait breatlessly on his every word.

CuseJetsFan83
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
i wouldn't quite go that far....... yeah it does hold us up, but do remember.... the typical idiot jets fan will pretty much be over him tomorrow and focus on some guy in the draft, or free agency, which this year..... is quite meddled.

Buffalogic
02-11-2009, 01:03 PM
nfl.com says hes retiring.