PDA

View Full Version : The Answer? Bills should chase Boldin

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I've found this article at scout.com, and the guy makes an argument for Buffalo to go for Boldin

Wouldn't htat be just dandy.. but even the writer knows how cheap ralphie is and the chances of this are slim

but our O could use a dose of explosiveness

theres more to the article then the quote... something to read and dream about I guess

http://buf.scout.com/2/838299.html

It’s not rocket science. Boldin is precisely what Buffalo’s offense needs, that rare-breed physical freak that single-handedly opens up an offense. Boldin plays much, much bigger than his ripped 6-foot-1, 220-pound frame suggests and would certainly trigger Evans best attribute – eating up one-on-one coverage on the deep ball.
Traditionally, the Bills do next-to-nothing to aid their young quarterbacks. Going hard after Boldin would pump life into a franchise that’s been dragging its feet for a decade. If the Bills dangle the 11th overall pick to Arizona, the Cardinals will be tempted. Breaking the bank on one player sounds like a death sentence. But in this case, it could lift the Bills back into AFC East contention.

We really need a WR to take pressure off of Lee and cause mismatches for O's

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I've found this article at scout.com, and the guy makes an argument for Buffalo to go for Boldin

Wouldn't htat be just dandy.. but even the writer knows how cheap ralphie is and the chances of this are slim

but our O could use a dose of explosiveness

theres more to the article then the quote... something to read and dream about I guess

http://buf.scout.com/2/838299.html

We really need a WR to take pressure off of Lee and cause mismatches for O's

in the quote he says Housh is likely to select a contender...

why would he be that much more likely than Boldin? Or anyone else for that matter?

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
we can trade for Boldin. TJ is a FA and can choose whomever he wants

bigbub2352
02-11-2009, 12:26 PM
not gonna happen, no way

Jan Reimers
02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I think the acquisition of Boldin would make almost everyone on this board happy, and many of us ecstatic.

Mudflap1
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Helping a young quarterback? Check.

Taking coverage away from guys like Lee Evans, Josh Reed, the running backs, and the tight end? Check.

Reinvigorating a loyal, but frustrated fan base? Check.

Will never happen. Makes too much sense.

Jon

SquishDaFish
02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree Mudflap. Bu man that would be awesome

Pinkerton Security
02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
we can trade for Boldin. TJ is a FA and can choose whomever he wants

o ya. i keep thinking Boldin is a FA because of the way it is basically a foregone conclusion that he is leaving.

Forward_Lateral
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd trade Buffalo's first round pick for Boldin in a millisecond.

That being said, we are more likely to all win the lotto tonight, then this to happen.

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
We're not getting Peppers. We're not getting Boldin. We're probably not getting anyone that the average fan has even heard of. Just get over it.

Tatonka
02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Peters and a pick for boldin.

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 01:52 PM

why would they want Peters? They have Mike Gandy :snicker:

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
We spent 55 million on Dockery.. We spent a ton on Kelsay and Schobel. We made block buster deals to land Takeo Spikes

This "its not going to happen mentality" is unwarranted. We've made bold moves before, and this team needs a desperate move this year especially in light of the Toronto deal that brought cash to the franchise for just such a deal

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM

umm I think you meant Boldin and pick for Peters

LT trumps WR

jamze132
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't think Boldin would be a goof fit for Buffalo. All he is going to do is get pissed off with our dink and dunk BS offense. What we need is a TE, not another #1 receiver.

Didn't we go over this in another thread last week?

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
We spent 55 million on Dockery.. We spent a ton on Kelsay and Schobel. We made block buster deals to land Takeo Spikes

This "its not going to happen mentality" is unwarranted. We've made bold moves before, and this team needs a desperate move this year especially in light of the Toronto deal that brought cash to the franchise for just such a deal

first, Kelsay and Schobel were ALREADY on our team.

Second, all of those moves except Spikes were TERRIBLE decisions.

Third, you found two examples of big signings outside of our own team in the last 5 years. Think about that for a second.

Finally, bringing in Boldin would require a trade and all of those other examples were FA's. Signing Boldin would not only require a big paycheck, but it would also require giving up some compensation. Both of those are things that don't come easy from this franchise.

Ralph is bottom-line driven, period.

psubills62
02-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Third, you found two examples of big signings outside of our own team in the last 5 years. Think about that for a second.

Finally, bringing in Boldin would require a trade and all of those other examples were FA's. Signing Boldin would not only require a big paycheck, but it would also require giving up some compensation. Both of those are things that don't come easy from this franchise.

I don't have any stats over history concerning this, but 2 big signings in the last 5 years doesn't seem abnormally low. How many teams make big splashes in free agency every single year for 5-6 years in a row? Not many.

Indianapolis rarely does anything in FA. Same with GB. Even when New England made a splash, it was a trade - for Randy Moss and then signing Adalius Thomas. Those were their biggest splashes in several years.

Yes, the Bills usually do overpay players. But I can't remember many teams that sign big contract year after year in free agency. The Jets last year is the only one I can think of, and they went 9-7.

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't have any stats over history concerning this, but 2 big signings in the last 5 years doesn't seem abnormally low. How many teams make big splashes in free agency every single year for 5-6 years in a row? Not many.

Indianapolis rarely does anything in FA. Same with GB. Even when New England made a splash, it was a trade - for Randy Moss and then signing Adalius Thomas. Those were their biggest splashes in several years.

Yes, the Bills usually do overpay players. But I can't remember many teams that sign big contract year after year in free agency. The Jets last year is the only one I can think of, and they went 9-7.

when a team has been consistently as bad as ours, 2 big name FA's every 5 years isn't going to get it done. One a year really isn't too far off pace IMO, but I don't have the stats to back it up either.

Indianapolis and NE are GOOD every year- they need tweaks, not overhauls. GB is generally in a similar situation, although not to the extent that Indy is.

And don't forget- with Boldin, we're talking about a trade AND a big contract. It's a huge commitment by the team.

DieHrdBillsFan23
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Boldin and zona's 1st for out 1st and a 3rd or 4th. Moving up 19 spots would be huge for Arizona, and we would still have a late round 1st to fill a need.

THATHURMANATOR
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I think the acquisition of Boldin would make almost everyone on this board happy, and many of us ecstatic.
I wouldn't complain!

Oaf
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
If Arizona wants the 11 for Boldin, I'll take it. He'd be the true second coming of Andre Reed and I'd rather have a vet DE signed to give Ellis some time anyways.

Yasgur's Farm
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Peters and a pick for boldin.Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish for Aquan Boldin and Mike Gandy.

Gandy starts at RT... Walker moves to LT.

Thurmal
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
We're not getting Peppers. We're not getting Boldin. We're probably not getting anyone that the average fan has even heard of. Just get over it.

Seriously. I think a best-case scenario would be someone like Bertrand Berry.

Yasgur's Farm
02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
o ya. i keep thinking Boldin is a FA because of the way it is basically a foregone conclusion that he is leaving.Congrats on getting your rep back.

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Seriously. I think a best-case scenario would be someone like Bertrand Berry.
he's old as dirt, but he's still better than Kelsay.

And he's a Notre Dame guy!

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM

all I was saying is we do spend money and we do try to aquire talent. AND NO team makes a big splash year after year. Kelsay and Schobel regardles of who they were or what they are demostrates a willingness ot spend money

and Dockery was not a bad signingn conisdering how completley desperate we were to shore up the OL after the failed Donahue experiment. We couldn't afford not to sign Dockery at the time.

We have also traded away 1st rd draft picks so compensation is not a problem either.

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
all I was saying is we do spend money and we do try to aquire talent. AND NO team makes a big splash year after year. Kelsay and Schobel regardles of who they were or what they are demostrates a willingness ot spend money

and Dockery was not a bad signingn conisdering how completley desperate we were to shore up the OL after the failed Donahue experiment. We couldn't afford not to sign Dockery at the time.

We have also traded away 1st rd draft picks so compensation is not a problem either.

You have a different definition of "big splash" than I do. Landing one player to fill a need is NOT a big splash, but we can't even accomplish that with consistency.

And again, every time we've traded a 1st round draft pick has been a disaster. We traded a first for Bledsoe- we got to 8-8 and 9-7 while NE used the pick as part of their domination of the league. We traded a first round for Losman and got a whole lot of nothin' out of it.

Dockery has had one good year and one bad year. $55 million should buy a hell of a lot more than that.

Do you see the problem here? You're using a handful of scattered bad decisions to make an argument that the Bills may go after Boldin. But the reality is that the Bills rarely make moves of this magnitude, and when they do they usually screw it up.

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
You have a different definition of "big splash" than I do. Landing one player to fill a need is NOT a big splash, but we can't even accomplish that with consistency.

And again, every time we've traded a 1st round draft pick has been a disaster. We traded a first for Bledsoe- we got to 8-8 and 9-7 while NE used the pick as part of their domination of the league. We traded a first round for Losman and got a whole lot of nothin' out of it.

Dockery has had one good year and one bad year. $55 million should buy a hell of a lot more than that.

Do you see the problem here? You're using a handful of scattered bad decisions to make an argument that the Bills may go after Boldin. But the reality is that the Bills rarely make moves of this magnitude, and when they do they usually screw it up.

I am not concerned about wether the perceived decisions were bad or good. We do go out and try to acquire a player occasionally.

I just disagree with people saying it can't and will never happen. Bledsoe happened, spikes happened, cornellius bennet happened....

yes we have a bad track record recently... but that does not change the fact that we do spend money and we do go out and pick up players

who knows maybe now since we have to appease the Toronto crowd and we have their millions to spend we get it right this year ....

it probably will not happen, but it does have a chance of happening

The only thing we have going in our favor this offseason is the following 3 facts.

1.) Ralph kept Jauron over fan sentiment

2.) Ralph himself said we have a talent problem

3.) Ralph himself said we need the Toronto games to help us compete wiht the Big market teams

Ralph himself IMO knows he needs to do something big to offset last years massive collapse

OpIv37
02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I am not concerned about wether the perceived decisions were bad or good. We od go out and try to acquire a player occasionally.

I just disagree with people saying it can't and will never happen. Bledsoe happened, spikes happened, cornellius bennet happened....

yes we have a bad track record recently... but that does not change the fact that we do spend money and we do go out and pick up players

who knows maybe now since we have to appease the Toronto crowd and we have their millions to spend we get it right this year ....

it probably will not happen, but it does have a chance of happening

This is why I hate off-season.

It's only been 6 or 7 weeks since the last Bills game and 10 days since the SB, and we're already debating whether or not there's a chance the Bills will go after a player. We're not even discussing if it would be a good or bad move for the team or what the player would be worth- only if Buffalo will actually pursue him.

I can't wait til Feb 27th and then the draft- at least then there will be some football news to discuss.

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
we have to discuss something, and I think this is something to at least drive some hope and keep us occupied

but yes the FA period will iron out a lot of our thoughts and we will know where we are going from there.

Also I;'m not debating that we will go out and sign anyone, I just feel it doens't belong in the "No way it will never happen pile"

TacklingDummy
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
For Boldin and Gandy. :up:

TacklingDummy
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish for Aquan Boldin and Mike Gandy.

Gandy starts at RT... Walker moves to LT.

Fine with me. :up:

Philagape
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't think Boldin would be a goof fit for Buffalo. All he is going to do is get pissed off with our dink and dunk BS offense.

Boldin's specialty is getting big YAC after short passes.

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Boldin's specialty is getting big YAC after short passes.

he's the perfect compliment for Lee and D's would definitely have trouble with our passing O...

we have to address our DE C and OLB problems in FA quickly if this dream has any chance, because it will cost us the #11

Al the Bills Fan
02-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't think Boldin would be a goof fit for Buffalo. All he is going to do is get pissed off with our dink and dunk BS offense. What we need is a TE, not another #1 receiver.

Didn't we go over this in another thread last week?

The "dink and dunk" is Boldin's bread n butter. He's a YAC guy

Mr. Pink
02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Peters and the 11th for Boldin and the 31st and 63rd or 95th.