So Are the Jets Any better After Favre Experiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So Are the Jets Any better After Favre Experiment?

On team development principle, I'm firmly behind Marv and the current Bills front office in that you are better off in the long run to go with draft and stability.

Trouble is you need to have the brain power to draft well and be lucky once in a while to hit a lottery. Imagine all those teams passed on Rothlisberger for him to slip into the 11th spot. And he plays Quarterback position!

Now back to the real world. The Jets are pretty much back to where they were a year ago - they need a Quarterback.

I think Miami is in the same boat. For one, Pennington won't be a comeback player of the year again - I guarantee that

NE, on the other hand, is the model for us all. They have Brady on the shelf and have a stand-in that is an asset.

Well, we just need one. If Edwards can take another step forward, injury prone or not, we're onto something.

Now before those who will argue that Pennington got the Dolphins into the playoff, let me clerify that I'm looking for a consistent playoff power, not just aiming for being someone's playoff stepping matt once in a while. Had Donahoe's Bledsoe trade worked for 16 games instead of 8, the Bills would be in playoff that year. But so what, will the Bills be any better today?
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: So Are the Jets Any better After Favre Experiment?

now the Jets are desperate for a QB again... But they still beat us twice which is what peeves me the most

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

This is the exact situation most of us predicted the Jets would be in when they acquired Favre. I love it!!!!!!

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
        Closet Bills Fan
        • Nov 2004

i highly doubt that anyone thought favre would play long term in NY.....

he wanted to go to minnesota, and i'd be hard pressed to think this is his way of trying to get what he wants

j-e-t-s
        jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Yeah, the Jets are screwed until the Pats trade Cassel to them.

Comment

• Nublar7
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
            On team development principle, I'm firmly behind Marv and the current Bills front office in that you are better off in the long run to go with draft and stability.

Trouble is you need to have the brain power to draft well and be lucky once in a while to hit a lottery. Imagine all those teams passed on Rothlisberger for him to slip into the 11th spot. And he plays Quarterback position!

Now back to the real world. The Jets are pretty much back to where they were a year ago - they need a Quarterback.

I think Miami is in the same boat. For one, Pennington won't be a comeback player of the year again - I guarantee that

NE, on the other hand, is the model for us all. They have Brady on the shelf and have a stand-in that is an asset.

Well, we just need one. If Edwards can take another step forward, injury prone or not, we're onto something.

Now before those who will argue that Pennington got the Dolphins into the playoff, let me clerify that I'm looking for a consistent playoff power, not just aiming for being someone's playoff stepping matt once in a while. Had Donahoe's Bledsoe trade worked for 16 games instead of 8, the Bills would be in playoff that year. But so what, will the Bills be any better today?
            Miami is not in the same boat as the Jets. You talk about how teams should use the draft to find positions and that older veterans are not the way to go. Well, Miami did use the draft to solidify the quarterback position for the future and Pennington is just holding the reigns until the young guy is ready to take over. Chad Henne is in the waiting and will likely be the starter no later then the start of the 2010 season.

Miami has Pennington, a guy many call a coach in pads, and a young talent in Henne they are grooming to be a long term guy. Buffalo has Edwards, and who who else?

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
              now the Jets are desperate for a QB again... But they still beat us twice which is what peeves me the most
              Its hillarious!

Watch the mess that the end up with.

I bet they draft a rookie, and due to the lack of any real solid vet, they may just even start that rookie.

I love the prospects of that for us!

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                Closet Bills Fan
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                Its hillarious!

Watch the mess that the end up with.

I bet they draft a rookie, and due to the lack of any real solid vet, they may just even start that rookie.

I love the prospects of that for us!
                and im sure starting an injury prone third year starter, or the infamous waterboy (if he gets resigned) won't exactly help their case either.

i really can't wait the next 5 months til preseason/training camp!!!!

j-e-t-s
                jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                  • Mar 2005

Jets are hurting again. Fins are still good at the QB position

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

The Jets have to give Kellen Clemens his shot, much like GB had to finally see what they had in Aaron Rogers. You can't get better being glued to the bench for 3 years. He has ability.

Drafting Mark Sanchez, who started 1 year in college is no major upgrade. The Jets need to run the ball and play solid D to compete. They have a good RB situation with Jones & Washington.

They have a Defensive minded coach who should emphasize the D in his first off-season. (one would think).

Don't follow the press like sheep. They're usually wrong.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

1) Those other teams that happened to need a QB knew about Roth but chose Eli and Rivers instead. Buffalo was said to want him, and during the war room video of the JP trade up and pick, they showed Tom and Tom talking about how they wanted to move up from Lees spot but that the price was too high. Its pure conjecture on my part, but I think it was to jump before Pitt (maybe with Cleveland) and try to get Roth.

2) The Fins wont be as good at QB IMO. But they could easily be better in many other areas. I think that, with a whole offseason, the Wildcat is going to lose it potency. Teams are going to be able to put in a ton of work on scheming against it.

3) Do we remember the cap hell we were in when we had both RJ and Flutie at 5 mill + on our team with one on the bench? The pats are going to go through that 4X. I dont envy there position at all. They have a backup who is going to be paid more than the starter for likely sitting the bench.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                        • Mar 2005

you guys act like the Wildcat was our entire offense

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
                          you guys act like the Wildcat was our entire offense
                          No. I agree with you it wasnt even close to being the whole deal. But it was very potent at times. I think the bigger reason was the mix of Ricky and Ronnie... thats a very good backfield.

I expect the Fins to be as good or better overall.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                            • Mar 2005

Tougher schedule will make a difference but we will see

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
                              Tougher schedule will make a difference but we will see
                              Tell me about it. The Bills are in the same basic boat and may just get worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X