PDA

View Full Version : So Are the Jets Any better After Favre Experiment?

ghz in pittsburgh
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
On team development principle, I'm firmly behind Marv and the current Bills front office in that you are better off in the long run to go with draft and stability.

Trouble is you need to have the brain power to draft well and be lucky once in a while to hit a lottery. Imagine all those teams passed on Rothlisberger for him to slip into the 11th spot. And he plays Quarterback position!

Now back to the real world. The Jets are pretty much back to where they were a year ago - they need a Quarterback.

I think Miami is in the same boat. For one, Pennington won't be a comeback player of the year again - I guarantee that :winkpunch

NE, on the other hand, is the model for us all. They have Brady on the shelf and have a stand-in that is an asset.

Well, we just need one. If Edwards can take another step forward, injury prone or not, we're onto something.

Now before those who will argue that Pennington got the Dolphins into the playoff, let me clerify that I'm looking for a consistent playoff power, not just aiming for being someone's playoff stepping matt once in a while. Had Donahoe's Bledsoe trade worked for 16 games instead of 8, the Bills would be in playoff that year. But so what, will the Bills be any better today?

ddaryl
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
now the Jets are desperate for a QB again... But they still beat us twice which is what peeves me the most

jamze132
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
This is the exact situation most of us predicted the Jets would be in when they acquired Favre. I love it!!!!!!

CuseJetsFan83
02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
i highly doubt that anyone thought favre would play long term in NY.....

he wanted to go to minnesota, and i'd be hard pressed to think this is his way of trying to get what he wants

HHURRICANE
02-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, the Jets are screwed until the Pats trade Cassel to them.

Nublar7
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
On team development principle, I'm firmly behind Marv and the current Bills front office in that you are better off in the long run to go with draft and stability.

Trouble is you need to have the brain power to draft well and be lucky once in a while to hit a lottery. Imagine all those teams passed on Rothlisberger for him to slip into the 11th spot. And he plays Quarterback position!

Now back to the real world. The Jets are pretty much back to where they were a year ago - they need a Quarterback.

I think Miami is in the same boat. For one, Pennington won't be a comeback player of the year again - I guarantee that :winkpunch

NE, on the other hand, is the model for us all. They have Brady on the shelf and have a stand-in that is an asset.

Well, we just need one. If Edwards can take another step forward, injury prone or not, we're onto something.

Now before those who will argue that Pennington got the Dolphins into the playoff, let me clerify that I'm looking for a consistent playoff power, not just aiming for being someone's playoff stepping matt once in a while. Had Donahoe's Bledsoe trade worked for 16 games instead of 8, the Bills would be in playoff that year. But so what, will the Bills be any better today?Miami is not in the same boat as the Jets. You talk about how teams should use the draft to find positions and that older veterans are not the way to go. Well, Miami did use the draft to solidify the quarterback position for the future and Pennington is just holding the reigns until the young guy is ready to take over. Chad Henne is in the waiting and will likely be the starter no later then the start of the 2010 season.

Miami has Pennington, a guy many call a coach in pads, and a young talent in Henne they are grooming to be a long term guy. Buffalo has Edwards, and who who else?

X-Era
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
now the Jets are desperate for a QB again... But they still beat us twice which is what peeves me the most

Its hillarious!

Watch the mess that the end up with.

I bet they draft a rookie, and due to the lack of any real solid vet, they may just even start that rookie.

I love the prospects of that for us!

CuseJetsFan83
02-12-2009, 03:50 AM
Its hillarious!

Watch the mess that the end up with.

I bet they draft a rookie, and due to the lack of any real solid vet, they may just even start that rookie.

I love the prospects of that for us!

and im sure starting an injury prone third year starter, or the infamous waterboy (if he gets resigned) won't exactly help their case either.

i really can't wait the next 5 months til preseason/training camp!!!!

LtFinFan66
02-12-2009, 03:54 AM
Jets are hurting again. Fins are still good at the QB position

Night Train
02-12-2009, 04:03 AM
The Jets have to give Kellen Clemens his shot, much like GB had to finally see what they had in Aaron Rogers. You can't get better being glued to the bench for 3 years. He has ability.

Drafting Mark Sanchez, who started 1 year in college is no major upgrade. The Jets need to run the ball and play solid D to compete. They have a good RB situation with Jones & Washington.

They have a Defensive minded coach who should emphasize the D in his first off-season. (one would think).

Don't follow the press like sheep. They're usually wrong.

X-Era
02-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Now before those who will argue that Pennington got the Dolphins into the playoff, let me clerify that I'm looking for a consistent playoff power, not just aiming for being someone's playoff stepping matt once in a while. Had Donahoe's Bledsoe trade worked for 16 games instead of 8, the Bills would be in playoff that year. But so what, will the Bills be any better today?

1) Those other teams that happened to need a QB knew about Roth but chose Eli and Rivers instead. Buffalo was said to want him, and during the war room video of the JP trade up and pick, they showed Tom and Tom talking about how they wanted to move up from Lees spot but that the price was too high. Its pure conjecture on my part, but I think it was to jump before Pitt (maybe with Cleveland) and try to get Roth.

2) The Fins wont be as good at QB IMO. But they could easily be better in many other areas. I think that, with a whole offseason, the Wildcat is going to lose it potency. Teams are going to be able to put in a ton of work on scheming against it.

3) Do we remember the cap hell we were in when we had both RJ and Flutie at 5 mill + on our team with one on the bench? The pats are going to go through that 4X. I dont envy there position at all. They have a backup who is going to be paid more than the starter for likely sitting the bench.

LtFinFan66
02-12-2009, 06:07 AM
you guys act like the Wildcat was our entire offense:idunno:

X-Era
02-12-2009, 06:12 AM
you guys act like the Wildcat was our entire offense:idunno:

No. I agree with you it wasnt even close to being the whole deal. But it was very potent at times. I think the bigger reason was the mix of Ricky and Ronnie... thats a very good backfield.

I expect the Fins to be as good or better overall.

LtFinFan66
02-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Tougher schedule will make a difference but we will see

X-Era
02-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Tougher schedule will make a difference but we will see

Tell me about it. The Bills are in the same basic boat and may just get worse.

justasportsfan
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
It's all about Farve on NFLN again. Every year. Sheez. How many times do we have to watch him cry again and again?

ghz in pittsburgh
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
No. I agree with you it wasnt even close to being the whole deal. But it was very potent at times. I think the bigger reason was the mix of Ricky and Ronnie... thats a very good backfield.

I expect the Fins to be as good or better overall.

I'm not so sure.

First I give credit where credit is due. They do have a few young up-comers. In a way, that's expected when you draft 7th overall and 1st overall in back to back years.

Second, I like their coaching staff. When you make a play so famous that everyone wants to copy from you, you must have done something right.

But when you step back and look at that team which made playoff and ask yourself what is the biggest contributor on that team, you have to say Chad Pennington.

In fact I'd argue the second biggest contributor is the play of Joey Porter.

The problem is those two are well documented aging players with inconsistent history. To the Dolphins, lightening struck twice as both of them had their best years at this stage of their career. That's not a negative - God I wish Kelsay and Mitchell have their career years any time soon - but to expect the same kind of level of performance again is unrealistic.

QB plays are so important. Some were tauting Edwards being an MVP candidate after the first 4, 6 games. I know Dolphins drafted some young ones last year. So they did the year before - if Pennington reverts to his norm, it will have a big impact on them.

Any reasonable person would expect that Edwards' best years are ahead of him whereas Pennington's best years are behind him.

LtFinFan66
02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
9th and 1st overall

Jeff1220
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
There are rumors according to Cnnsi.com's Truth and Rumors that the Jets are interested in Bulger (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/90593-jets-interested-in-bulger?eref=fromSI).

Pinkerton Security
02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, the Jets are screwed until the Pats trade Cassel to them.

i would bet money that the Jets wont trade 2 firsts for a player like Cassel, especially to a team within our division.

Pinkerton Security
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
and ESPECIALLY to the hated patriots, though mangini is now gone so that link is no longer there.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I highly doubt any GM in NFL would trade two 1st rounder for Cassel. Heck, even for ONE 1st rounder.

Looking back, Matt Schaub was traded with a swap of 1st rounder + some 2nd rounders.

Then it's the Bledsoe trade.

To me Cassel's tag says more about the health of Brady and the importance of QB in Belichick's mind than anything else.

BleedinGreenNC
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
To tell you the truth, im glad Favre is gone, and that puts $13 million right back into our cap, we have Ratliff, and i think that he will do well in the system, it may take this season for him to get settled, but he will prosper with Ryan.

I would have to say that if i was a Bills fan, i would be worried. You say you have a your QB of the future, and yet you go 0-6 vs the division?

As it stands, Pats and Fins are the class of our division, until then the Jets and Bills fans cant say much more, but to say that the Jets are worse off could be an accurate statement, or it could be far fetched. Time will tell.

tat2dmike77
02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Jets are hurting again. Fins are still good at the QB position

You can honestly say that with Henne on your roster??? Come'on dan you know as well as i do Henne is a joke.

Mr. Pink
02-14-2009, 09:35 AM
They aren't worse.

Better is relative...

In terms of franchise value, merchandising, ticket sales last year...they were definitely better. As a business decision getting Favre was absolutely brilliant.

Better on the field? Eh, they did perform better last year but it still wasn't enough to get over the hump.

If their youngsters, like Kellen Clemens learned something while watching Favre play then they're better for the long haul.

If not, it was nothing less than a dead season, football wise.

LtFinFan66
02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
You can honestly say that with Henne on your roster??? Come'on dan you know as well as i do Henne is a joke.just because he can't beat Ohio State doesn't make him a joke. He has looked good when he has played. I am not annointing him the next great thing but he has potential to be a decent QB

TigerJ
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I think Miami is better off than the Jets because Pennington played at a fairly high level last season. Yes, he's something of a noodle arm, but it served him pretty well, and while he's getting a little long in the tooth, he's likely to play at the level he's playing at now for at least a few more years.

I'm guessing Mangini took a gamble that he could run deep into the playoffs with Favre and thereby buy himself another season. That didn't happen, obviously, and now the Jets are stuck having a new coach and adusting to whatever changes he wants to install. It's entirely possible that the new coach will have a quick adjustment and the Jets will contend, but it looks at this point like they're going to be behind the rest of the AFC East.

Now, the Patriots do have a formula that works well for them, but I don't know if the Matt Cassel phenomenon occurred last season because Bill Bellichick really is smarter than anyone else (heaven forbid) or he just got lucky with Cassel. If it's the latter, I hope his luck runs out soon.

The Jokeman
02-14-2009, 07:17 PM
just because he can't beat Ohio State doesn't make him a joke. He has looked good when he has played. I not not annointing him the next great thing but he has potential to be a decent QB
Ready to throw away John Beck already?

PECKERWOOD
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
No, the JETS are actually far better off than Miami. You see, Miami inherited the Jets trash, soon they will find out why NY wanted Pennington out. If Chad Pennington is such a great QB, why was he released? Here is my thoughts about Pennington, good and bad:

1.) He is a cerebral QB.
2.) His arm is average.
3.) When it comes to the playoffs he is very average.
4.) He is injury prone.
5.) He is a great leader for a team that was a bottom dweller in their division.

Does anybody honestly see Pennington leading Miami to the SB? HELL NO!!! As far as I'm concerned, the Jets can atleast go after a guy like Mark Sanchez this year and land a potential franchise QB, Pennington is nowhere near being franchise quality.

tat2dmike77
02-14-2009, 09:33 PM
just because he can't beat Ohio State doesn't make him a joke. He has looked good when he has played. I not not annointing him the next great thing but he has potential to be a decent QB

Or app state don't forget that one

LtFinFan66
02-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Ready to throw away John Beck already?yes