PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 1.0

Mahdi
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Free Agency will no doubt change everything so this is just a mock based on where things stand now....

1. Detroit Lions - Eugene Munroe - OT - Virginia - The Lions cant afford to miss on this pick and with so many needs Munroe is probably the closest thing to a definite upgrade in his first season. Schwartz knows the value of good OL and DL play and will look to the Dolphins draft strategy from last year as a model to turn things around in Detroit. Munroe is the best pass/run OT in the draft.

2 .St-Louis Rams - Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech - Everyone is calling for an OT for the Rams but with Munroe gone the next best player in terms of need and value for the Rams has to be Crabtree. This will allow the Rams to let go of Holt and give Bulger a bigtime weapon in the passing game. Pace and Barron are still very solid players for the Rams so that makes the decision easier.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - Aaron Curry - OLB - Wake Forest - Aaron Curry is a physical specimen that does everything well. With the Chiefs moving a 3-4 most likely, Curry can slide in to the rush OLB spot with Derrick Johnson at the other OLB spot and wreak havoc on opposing QBs. That is exactly what the Chiefs didnt have last year.

4. Seattle Seahawks - BJ Raji - DT - Boston College - This may seem high for Raji but he impressed in a big way at the senior bowl and will also stick out on game film. The Hawks struggled in the middle of their defense this year and Rocky Bernard a FA, Raji should come in and solidify their defense that is already strong in the back 7.

5. Cleveland Browns - Malcolm Jenkins - CB - Ohio State - Jenkins is one of the best overall prospects in the entire draft in terms of value. He can run, tackle like a LB and has great size. Almost a Charles Woodson clone. Cleveland hasn't had a dominant CB in, well,,,, ever.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Jason Smith - OT - Baylor - Jason Smith is the most athletic of all the OT in this draft class and Cincinnati will need to protect Carson Palmer who is coming off an injury. This pick is great value and definitely fills a need for the Bengals who will most likely not re-sign Stacey Andrews.

7. Oakland Raiders - Andre Smith - OT - Alabama - Smith is the most powerful of all the OTs in this draft and is simply a mauler. The Raiders have holes all over the offensive line and getting Andre Smith at #7 is great value. There are questions about his abilities as a pass protector but for the run first Raiders he will open giant holes for last year's top pick Darren McFadden.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Michael Oher - OT - Ole Miss - Oher is a big physical OT that many still consider the #1 OT in the draft. He is a mauler in the run game and is also a strong pass protector. The Jags will get great value with this pick selecting a franchise LT and also fill the need created by the loss of Khalif Barnes in Free Agency.

9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo - DE/OLB - Texas - With the Packers moving to a 3-4 they will need to add a rush OLB. With Aaron Kampan most likely manning the strong side OLB spot this should allow Orakpo to be free to get to the QB, which is what he does best.

10. San Francisco 49ers - Mark Sanchez - QB - USC - San Fran hasn't had a franchise QB since Young retired and Sanchez is exactly that. He may be a bit raw since he only started one year at USC but he has all the tools needed to succeed at the next level. Staying in California should also play to his advantage.

11. Buffalo Bills - Michael Johnson - DE - Georgia Tech - Michael Johnson has slipped recently since he didnt participate in the senior bowl and there are questions about his toughness and motor but whatever he lacks he makes up for it with pure athletic ability and talent. Johnson has a long wing span that also helps him get to QBs and I have a feeling he will blow scouts away at the combine, with his height/weight combo and speed. The Bills need a DE that can dominate an OT and Michael has the size and talent to be a Julius Peppers type player.

12. Denver Broncos - Everette Brown - DE/OLB - Florida State - Denver is yet another team converting to a 3-4 alignment and they will also need a playmaker at the OLB spot. Brown is a pure pass rusher that should be able to learn to stand up as a LB and should have no problem playing out of a 3 point stance as a DE. That versatility will be welcome in Denver's new defense.

13. Washington Redskins - Jeremy Maclin - WR - Missouri - This may seem like a strange pick to many considering the Skins picked 2 WRs last year but they have not proven that they will be contributors anytime soon and with no DEs on the board worth taking the Skins take the opportunity to upgrade their weakness on offense. If the Skins could have scored more points last year they would have easily been a playoff team. Maclin gives Campbell another option outside of Moss and Cooley.

14. New Orleans Saints - Vontae Davis - CB - Illinois - Davis is a big physical corner, with great speed and athleticism. The Saints have suffered at the hands of their secondary for years and have never established a solid CB pairing. Last year they picked Tracy Porter in the second round which ended being a solid selection. With Davis and Porter the Saints will finally have a pair of CBs they can rely on for the next 4 years.

15. Houston Texans – Brian Cushing - OLB - USC - Cushing has been rising up draft boards lately with solid performances at the senior bowl but watching him play at USC is enough to realize his worth. Cushing is fast, strong and instinctive and due to his time playing as a DE for the Trojans he has no trouble rushing the QB from the OLB spot. Cushing should help free up Mario Williams even more.

16. San Diego Chargers - Chris Wells – RB – Ohio State – Selecting Wells at the #16 spot is a steal for a team that will need a RB that can pound defenses. Wells combines power with speed and agility and his impact on the Charger offense would be huge. LT should still be back and that would give them a dangerous tandem in the backfield at the same time reducing the work load on Tomlinson.

17. New York Jets – Matt Stafford – QB – Georgia – Finally Stafford goes off the board after slipping big time. This wouldn’t be the first time a QB has slipped though when it was believed he would certainly go in the top 5. The way I see it, Stafford became the #1 projected QB by default after Sam Bradford elected to remain at Oklahoma. Sure Stafford is a solid prospect but in my opinion teams in the top ten will choose to select the sure fire players they need to improve their OL and DL and SF will see Sanchez as having more upside. At the end of the day Stafford goes to a team where he will start from day 1 as Matt Ryan did with all the pieces already in place for him to succeed.

18. Chicago Bears – Aaron Maybin – DE/OLB – Penn State – Maybin is seen as somewhat of a tweener but his pass rush abilities are undeniable and that is exactly where the Bears defense surprisingly struggled last year. Maybin can play OLB for the Bears and move into a pass rushing position on 3rd down or he can simply be used as a full time DE. Either way he will help the Bears defense get back to doing what they do best, getting after QBs.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Peria Jerry – DT – Mississippi – Getting Jerry at 19 is great value for the Bucs who are in desperate need of a presence in the middle of their defense. In the first half of the season the Bucs were dominant against the run but that fell off towards the end of the year. Chris Hovan is still a capable player but cant be relied on to carry the defense at this point in his career. With Jovan Haye a free agent Peria Jerry should start from day 1 and give the Bucs defense more stoutness and a pass rusher in the middle of their defense.

20. Detroit Lions – Evander Hood – DT – Missouri – Evander Hood may be considered a reach by some at #20 in the first round but the Lions will be adamant about improving the middle of their defense that suffered since losing Shaun Rogers. Jim Shwartz will want to ensure his defense is competitive and the first piece has to be a big DT that can stuff the run but also reach the QB. Evander Hood is exactly that and has the potential to be a player in the mold of Marcus Stroud.

21. Philadelphia Eagles – Eben Britton – OT – Arizona – The Eagles love big offensive linemen and Britton is a big man that is also highly athletic. Britton is certainly not a mauler at 6’6 310 but with his frame he has room to add weight to his frame to make him more powerful at the point of attack. Either way the Eagles land an excellent pass protector for McNabb’s blindside that they will need after losing William ‘Tra’ Thomas in free agency.

22. Minnesota Vikings – Alex Mack – OC – California – Minnesota will not be re-signing their all-pro centre Matt Birk when he becomes a free agent so instead they fill the spot with his clone in Alex Mack. Mack is almost the same exact size as Birk and bring virtually the same skill to the position. Mack is a mauler as a run blocker and although not a perfect pass protector he is more than capable of holding up against the interior pass rush. Mack also brings a lot of experience and intelligence which will be lost with the departure of Birk.

23. New England Patriots – Rey Maualuga – ILB – USC – New England gets lucky once again landing a top 15 pick at #23. Maualuga will fit perfectly into the Patriots defense with his hard hitting style and ability to read the game. The combination of Jerod Mayo and Maualuga will restore the Patriots defense to its once dominant form.

24. Atlanta Falcons - Brandon Pettigrew – TE – Oklahoma State – Pettigrew is one of the most well rounded players at his position in the draft. He is a devastating run blocker, has good but not great speed and catches the ball well. He also gives the QB a very big target to throw to at 6’6 260. The Falcons currently don’t have a threat at the TE position and the dual threat Pettigrew provides should fit nicely with what the Falcons like to do on offense.

25. Miami Dolphins – James Laurenitis – ILB – Ohio State – Laurenitis is seen by many as the top ILB in the draft but I have him going second because I believe an NFL team will covet the more physical Maualuga. However Laurenitis brings his own skill set to the table in his ability to diagnose plays and run down ball carriers sideline to sideline. He is also a clever player against the pass which makes him that much more valuable. The Phins have Akin Ayodele as one of their ILB already and Channing Crowder might leave in free agency which means Laurenitis would start from day 1 as he should.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Darius Butler – CB – Connecticut – Butler is one of the top cover guys in the draft which you have to be to play in the Baltimore defense. He has all the tools to be a top CB in the league and the Ravens are returning aging corners Chris McAllister and Samari Rolle. McCallister is also coming off season ending injury so adding a CB like Butler will give them a shut down corner and youth in the secondary.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Tyson Jackson – DT/DE – Auburn – This may seem like a stretch since Jackson is not your typical edge rusher that the Colts like but at 6’4 295 Jackson would be a DT in the Colts defensive scheme. Jackson could be very successful as a 3- technique DT for the Colts that can hold up against the run and get to the QB on passing downs.

28. Philadelphia Eagles – Knowshowne Moreno – RB – Georgia – A steal here for the Eagles as they get arguably the top RB in the draft at the end of round 1. Moreno possesses all the tools to be an all-around back in the Eagles offense and should allow the Eagles to run the ball more often between him and Westbrook. The Eagles offense struggles when Westbrook goes down so Moreno also provides a solid insurance policy.

29. New York Giants – Clay Mathews – OLB – USC – A receiver is an option here but Clay Mathews stock has been rising and he provides too much value at #29 for the Giants to pass up. Plus, the Giants currently start Danny Clark and Chase Blackburn at the OLB spots so Mathews would also provide a huge upgrade.

30. Tennessee Titans – Duke Robinson – OG – Oklahoma – Duke is probably the most powerful offensive lineman in the draft aside from Andre Smith. In the run game he creates massive holes and although critics said he struggled in pass protection against Florida in the Championship game that is not a commonality in his game. Tennessee improves their strength even more by adding Duke and will establish the ground game even more.

31. Arizona Cardinals - Fili Moala – DE/DT – USC – A big part of the USC defense Moala can collapse the pocket in the run game and can rush the passer from the interior. In Arizona’s defense Moala would be a DE playing the 5-technique which should play right into his skill set. This is a steal for the Cardinals who need another presence on their DL that can stuff the run.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Max Unger – OG/OC – Oregon – Unger is a smart and versatile offensive lineman that can play center, guard and even OT if you ask him to. The Steelers have 4 linemen going into free agency this year and if they did have a weakness this year it was up front. Unger will allow them to fill the spot they need most on the OL.

yordad
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Good read. I think you know more about the draft then me, but I doubt Stafford last that long.

Oh, and you can actually edit your own title.

Mahdi
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Good read. I think you know more about the draft then me, but I doubt Stafford last that long.

Oh, and you can actually edit your own title.
Thanks for the tip....

We all thought Leinart would never fall to 10, Quinn was also supposed to go top 10 and Rogers who ppl thought would be first or second overall went 22nd.

I see the same happening with Stafford.

yordad
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the tip....

We all thought Leinart would never fall to 10, Quinn was also supposed to go top 10 and Rogers who ppl thought would be first or second overall went 22nd.

I see the same happening with Stafford. Fair enough, but, don't you think with him slipping that far, someone would want to leap over the Jets? I know all those trade scenarios can't be mocked, but him slipping combined with your idea the Bills will target Johnson, could put the Bills in the perfect position to trade down. After all, Johnson is slipping.

Johnson might be the best 4-3 DE in this draft, but I have seen some mocks where he slips out of the first. Or maybe the Bills can pass on him, then trade up like they have done several times recently (Losman, McCargo, Poz).

What are your thoughts on that? Heck, maybe we do the dreaded inter-division trade. We get Johnson with the Jets pick, they get Stafford with ours.

Oh, and the title, I have found if you click in the corner of the title, and hold down, an editable box appears.

FlyingDutchman
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
redskins take another WR?

clumping platelets
02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd rather trade down a few spots and reach for Mack

X-Era
02-12-2009, 06:07 AM
I'd rather trade down a few spots and reach for Mack
I think there little difference between Mack, Wood, Caldwell, maybe Unger. And I think we could get one of them with ease in the 2nd at least maybe 3rd.

However, moving down puts us in a stronger position based on our needs and where players may fall.

For example, if we move down into the 15-30 range, we still could land either Michael Johnson, or Tyson Jackson and then pick up a 2nd rounder. We then could use or 2 2's on Mack and maybe Jared Cook

Michael Johnson, Alex Mack, and Jared Cook before we even hit the 3rd round? I like it!

Mahdi
02-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Fair enough, but, don't you think with him slipping that far, someone would want to leap over the Jets? I know all those trade scenarios can't be mocked, but him slipping combined with your idea the Bills will target Johnson, could put the Bills in the perfect position to trade down. After all, Johnson is slipping.

Johnson might be the best 4-3 DE in this draft, but I have seen some mocks where he slips out of the first. Or maybe the Bills can pass on him, then trade up like they have done several times recently (Losman, McCargo, Poz).

What are your thoughts on that? Heck, maybe we do the dreaded inter-division trade. We get Johnson with the Jets pick, they get Stafford with ours.

Oh, and the title, I have found if you click in the corner of the title, and hold down, an editable box appears.
Every year there are players that for some reason just drop off in terms of their popularity among writers and draft gurus and what not. Then the combine hits and that player is flying up the boards. Michael Johnson to me is that player. His potential is through the roof. I think he will come to the combine ripped and a few pounds heavier than expected and also run a good 40. I think a GM will look at him as a big time pass rusher that in a couple years will fill out and become something close to Julius Peppers. I really think Johnson is going to be a great player and a dominant one which the Bills havent had in a long time.

Mahdi
02-12-2009, 06:46 AM
redskins take another WR?
I explained my reasoning behind that. Its a BPA pick for them at a position where they are still very weak.

kernowboy
02-12-2009, 07:05 AM
I'd take Everette Brown over Johnson every day ending in a 'y'. He's just more consistent and I think Brown could add 10-15lbs and not lose much speed. Plus his experience of play LE makes it easy to pair him with Schobel.

I think Unger will be available in the second and don't think there is much of a fall off from Mack to him.

Mahdi
02-12-2009, 07:07 AM
I'd take Everette Brown over Johnson every day ending in a 'y'. He's just more consistent and I think Brown could add 10-15lbs and not lose much speed. Plus his experience of play LE makes it easy to pair him with Schobel.

I think Unger will be available in the second and don't think there is much of a fall off from Mack to him.
Actually thats another reason I like Johnson for the Bills. He played a lot of LE for GT so he can slide in for Chris Kelsay and hopefully just replace him ,,,completely.

I like Brown also but Johnson has the same speed with more size and wingspan. The guy broke up seven passes last year cuz he has an insane vertical and he is already 6'7. He gets like 9 feet in the air.

DraftBoy
02-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Not bad, I think taking Johnson right now today which is how we have the evaluate this draft is reaching at 11. He's currently a lower 17 prospect and needs a big combine, and there is no guarantee that he will stay at 4-3 DE, he along with Brown are the two best prospects for 3-4 OLB. Which makes sense gives each players great athleticism and one dimensional way of play. Johnson would be the better 3-4 OLB from the start because Tech had him drop into zone coverage some and he made plays there. Both struggle though in run support and can be run right at on a consistent basis.

As for the rest of your draft, I think you have Stafford too low. He is the #1 QB in this class and his arm alone is enough to warrant a team above 17 to take him. I think you may have the team right though, there has been early rumblings that New York will look to trade up.

Then four other players; Aaron Maybin, Ziggy Hood, Brian Cushing and Alex Mack. All way too high, I dont have any of them currently as 1st Round prospects. Maybin, and Hood are early 2nd Round guys, Cushing is a 2nd-3rd Round guy, and Mack is a 3rd Rounder. I know you'll say the combine could make their stock rise and you're right, but we can't evaluate based on what ifs, only on if the draft happened today and right now the value you put on these players is not there.

Maybin is a war undersized player at around 235, and maybe as low as 230. He was light in college and really needs to be above 250 by combine time other wise none of his times and workouts are really going to matter much. You can't play LB or DE in the NFL on a consistent basis and be under 250. So few players have done it that history supports that theory.

Hood was a consistent run stopper but he that's just all he was in college. He has good technique and good work ethic but he's not uber athletic or posess great size. He's not above guys like Moala, Marks, or Brace.

Cushing is a guy Ive already gone into detail on a couple of times, so there is no reason to repeat what's already been said about him.

Mack had a bad senior bowl and is the best run blocker in the class but struggles against bigger DT's in pass protection. His technique is good but not great and his balance needs work. All fixable things but he is not a first round prospect at this point.

Overall though a very good job, I think you accurately mocked out guys like Wells, Laurinaitis, Pettigrew, Moreno who have been all over others mock boards.

Mahdi
02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Not bad, I think taking Johnson right now today which is how we have the evaluate this draft is reaching at 11. He's currently a lower 17 prospect and needs a big combine, and there is no guarantee that he will stay at 4-3 DE, he along with Brown are the two best prospects for 3-4 OLB. Which makes sense gives each players great athleticism and one dimensional way of play. Johnson would be the better 3-4 OLB from the start because Tech had him drop into zone coverage some and he made plays there. Both struggle though in run support and can be run right at on a consistent basis.

As for the rest of your draft, I think you have Stafford too low. He is the #1 QB in this class and his arm alone is enough to warrant a team above 17 to take him. I think you may have the team right though, there has been early rumblings that New York will look to trade up.

Then four other players; Aaron Maybin, Ziggy Hood, Brian Cushing and Alex Mack. All way too high, I dont have any of them currently as 1st Round prospects. Maybin, and Hood are early 2nd Round guys, Cushing is a 2nd-3rd Round guy, and Mack is a 3rd Rounder. I know you'll say the combine could make their stock rise and you're right, but we can't evaluate based on what ifs, only on if the draft happened today and right now the value you put on these players is not there.

Maybin is a war undersized player at around 235, and maybe as low as 230. He was light in college and really needs to be above 250 by combine time other wise none of his times and workouts are really going to matter much. You can't play LB or DE in the NFL on a consistent basis and be under 250. So few players have done it that history supports that theory.

Hood was a consistent run stopper but he that's just all he was in college. He has good technique and good work ethic but he's not uber athletic or posess great size. He's not above guys like Moala, Marks, or Brace.

Cushing is a guy Ive already gone into detail on a couple of times, so there is no reason to repeat what's already been said about him.

Mack had a bad senior bowl and is the best run blocker in the class but struggles against bigger DT's in pass protection. His technique is good but not great and his balance needs work. All fixable things but he is not a first round prospect at this point.

Overall though a very good job, I think you accurately mocked out guys like Wells, Laurinaitis, Pettigrew, Moreno who have been all over others mock boards.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Thing is I did my mock based on what I believe will transpire at the combine.

Only thing I dont agree with is your evaluation of Michael Johnson. I believe this guy needs to be at the LOS at all times. Right now he is around 6'7 260,,, in a year or 2 he should be at about 270... that is definitely enough to be stout against the run.

We already have Schobel, Stroud and Williams who play the run well so until Johnson becomes a solid run defender he will still be an amazing pass rusher for us which is really all we need.

mysticsoto
02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
I think the Lions will take QB Stafford (my personal opinion). I just think people are realizing that having a top good QB can do wonders for the team - Atlanta is the shining example now. And this is a copy cat league. If they do take a QB with their 1st pick, I can see taking an OT with their second 1st rd pick.

I'm not sure that Seattle takes Raji. He's good, but at #4, you have to be super-dominant at the DT position to be taken that high.

The Raiders have had bad luck with taking early OTs. Still, they are so unpredictable, they can do anything.

I think Washington reaches and takes a DE regardless. I think they pride themselves in DEs and last year what they had didn't deliver.

It is illogical for me to see Minnesota allow their high caliber Center to go, only to draft another one and use up their 1st rounder. I just don't see them going Center that high. They'll likely pick one up in the 2nd or 3rd and there's good quality Centers in this year's draft to be had later.

Atlanta would probably love to have a high caliber TE, but Pettigrew is a sort of all around good - not excellent. I think it's high to pick him here and I wouldn't if I were them...

Duke Robinson to Tennessee would be sic! With their tandem of RBs and Chris Johnson returning from injury, they'd be a scary offensive team!

Max Unger to Pitts is a good pick also.

With Buffalo...I'm still on the fence with Johnson. There's something I don't like about him and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. That being said, with Orakpo, Raji and Curry gone, those are my favorites and I have difficulty deciding who I'd want after them. No doubt as we get closer to draft time, I will have more options...but right now and in your scenerio, I'm not sure...

jamze132
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree that Detroit will not take a QB with their first pick. I have said it before.