PDA

View Full Version : Options for LDE

psubills62
02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Here's some guys I think could be options at LDE in the draft for us:

1. Tyson Jackson (LSU)

2. Robert Ayers (Tennessee)

3. Alex Magee (Purdue)

What are your thoughts on these guys? Any others you'd like to have the Bills look at in the draft?

I'm currently working on a first-round mock. At the end of my analysis, I've put a possibly surprise pick for each team, and Tyson Jackson is my surprise pick for the Bills. If he does well at the combine, he'd still be a bit of reach but might fit our needs better than other DE's on the board at that point.

DraftBoy
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Jackson would be a good pick at LDE, I also like Maurice Evans there later on.

OpIv37
02-12-2009, 12:28 PM
he'd still be a bit of reach but might fit our needs better than other DE's on the board at that point.

Believe me- our FO has no problems reaching.

psubills62
02-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Believe me- our FO has no problems reaching.

Haha I know...but would you be horribly upset if Maclin, Raji, Brown, Orakpo, Curry, Crabtree, etc. were gone by pick 11 and instead of trading down they picked Jackson?

I think I'd raise my eyebrows, but I'd like to see what he could do for our team.

psubills62
02-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Jackson would be a good pick at LDE, I also like Maurice Evans there later on.

Evans huh? Interesting...guess I didn't think about him. What round do you think Evans will go in considering his character issues and whatnot?

TigerJ
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
If you're thinking strictly LDE, then Tyson Jackson has to be your first choice. He's never going to be anything but a LDE/DT. If you have some thought of a guy who can play both end spots, then Jackson is probably not the guy you want. He's kind of slow to be a really effective pass rusher on the QB's blind side. Same thing with Magee. Someone like Ayers might be able to do both. Mitch King might also be an option. He played DT in college, but he's undersized for a DT and has ample speed and quickness for LDE

DraftBoy
02-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Evans huh? Interesting...guess I didn't think about him. What round do you think Evans will go in considering his character issues and whatnot?

4th Round right now, but the guy has top 15 talent and good size and quickness. He plays both the run and pass well and really just got sidetracked last offseason. He says he is refocused. Id take a flyer on him as maybe a 2nd DE in this draft. Say you take Micheal Johnson in Rd 1 to be your RDE.

1. Johnson DE-GT
2. McRath LB-So. Miss
3. Nelson TE-So. Miss
4. Evans DE-Penn St
5. Shipley OC-Penn St
6. Jean-Francois DT-LSU
7. Williams WR-Oregon

My issue with my own scenario is that it still leaves holes at OG, MLB, FS, SS, and QB.

psubills62
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
If you're thinking strictly LDE, then Tyson Jackson has to be your first choice. He's never going to be anything but a LDE/DT. If you have some though of a guy who can play both end spots, then Jackson is probably not the guy you want. He's kind of slow to be a really effective pass rusher on the QB's blind side. Same thing with Magee. Someone like Ayers might be able to do both. Mitch King might also be an option. He played DT in college, but he's undersized for a DT and has ample speed and quickness for LDE

Ah I forgot about Mitch King - he's a good size for it too. Yeah, I wasn't envisioning Jackson, Ayers, or Magee as being RDE's too. I think they're still hoping for Chris Ellis to be the backup at RDE for now.

I could see them trying to phase Kelsay or Denney out before Schobel, even though Schobel is older. So I'm thinking that if they choose one DE in the draft, it will be an LDE who is proficient at rushing the passer too. Or even a pass-rushing OLB.

psubills62
02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
4th Round right now, but the guy has top 15 talent and good size and quickness. He plays both the run and pass well and really just got sidetracked last offseason. He says he is refocused. Id take a flyer on him as maybe a 2nd DE in this draft. Say you take Micheal Johnson in Rd 1 to be your RDE.

1. Johnson DE-GT
2. McRath LB-So. Miss
3. Nelson TE-So. Miss
4. Evans DE-Penn St
5. Shipley OC-Penn St
6. Jean-Francois DT-LSU
7. Williams WR-Oregon

My issue with my own scenario is that it still leaves holes at OG, MLB, FS, SS, and QB.

Well some of the holes we can fill in FA. But I was actually thinking that they could follow the same drafting method this year with DE's as they did last year with CB's - just load up at a position of weakness.

Although I doubt they go with 3 DE's...more like 2. Since we only have 7 picks this year instead of 10. So I wouldn't be surprised if they go with two DE's, like in your mock there.

Another thought: I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Jackson in the first, then get a pure pass-rusher in the later rounds (opposite of what you have). Sort of like how the Raiders did with Trevor Scott, or the Lions did with Cliff Avril.

TigerJ
02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Ah I forgot about Mitch King - he's a good size for it too. Yeah, I wasn't envisioning Jackson, Ayers, or Magee as being RDE's too. I think they're still hoping for Chris Ellis to be the backup at RDE for now.

I could see them trying to phase Kelsay or Denney out before Schobel, even though Schobel is older. So I'm thinking that if they choose one DE in the draft, it will be an LDE who is proficient at rushing the passer too. Or even a pass-rushing OLB.

Seeing how ineffective Schobel was even before he went down with an injury, I hope Ellis can actually play some and push Schobel, or that Buffalo puts a backup plan in place.

Mitchell55
02-13-2009, 06:45 PM
No to Tyson Jackson. From everyplace ive read, hes not a pass rushing DE, hes a run stopping one.

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I would love seeing Tyson Jackson in a Bills uniform. Here is a guy who has dominated elite competition at the collegiate level, he would be nice. If we go DE in the 1st my plan a.) Brian Orakpo and my plan b.) Tyson Jackson. If by some miracle we landed both I would be thrilled.

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2009, 07:43 PM
No to Tyson Jackson. From everyplace ive read, hes not a pass rushing DE, hes a run stopping one.

I think he can do both.. If you look at his sack totals they really aren't that bad at all, especially when you look at the competition he was playing against. Plus, he is 290lbs right now, Bruce came in the league at 300lbs and was most productive after he dropped down to around 265lbs.. If we drafted Tyson Jackson, there is no reason that you couldn't assume he could drop 10-15 lbs and show up at 275lbs ready to make more of an impact as a pass rusher.

DraftBoy
02-14-2009, 01:22 PM

He is an overall DE, he does not specialize in either game but he is very good at both. What we don't need is two Pure Pass Rushing DE's that would be disastrous.