PDA

View Full Version : Vikes On The Move?

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Despite the hugs-and-kisses that went along with Daunte Culpepper's big-money deal, the possibility that the Vikings will make like the Lakers continues to hover over the entire state of Minnesota.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, owner Red McCombs met with Commissioner Paul Tagliabue this week, and the session included a discussion regarding the availability of the L.A. market.

With two bids on the team falling woefully short of McCombs' $600 million asking price, the only remaining option could be relocation.

"We're continuing to look at the issue of whether we can maintain this franchise in Minnesota," he said. "That's an ongoing issue, no question about it. That's why we have to look at the possibility of sale or relocation. . . . We're already two years into the death period. So how long do you stay dead before they put you in the ground?"

The comment is somewhat ironic, given that the seventy-something McCombs (who has a long history of dry martinis and wet steaks) currently is trying to stay a step or two ahead of Mr. Reaper. Regardless, the message is clear -- if McCombs can't get out in Minnesota and if he can't stay in Minnesota, his only choice is to get out of Minnesota.

Sure, that Metrodome lease running through 2011 could be a problem, as could Tags' desire that the lease be honored. But really rich guys tend to eventually get their way -- especially if they're willing to throw down enough money to make it happen.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Fat Tony
05-11-2003, 11:53 AM
While these stories have been circulating for months, I don't put any stock into pro football talk's alleged "News".

Theyy are the National Enquirer of football news, spending more time on trying to be funny than give you any credible insight.

The_Philster
05-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Personally, I think if any team should move to L.A., it should be the Chargers...they started out there.

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 04:11 PM
As long as Buffalo isn't moving there I don't care who does.

Dozerdog
05-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I was hoping the Cardinals- they have the least tradition-

But they moved ahead on their stadium plan

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 05:29 PM
They should be the ones who move. They can't get anybody to go to their games anyway.