Good article on Buddy Nix and the draft....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

Good article on Buddy Nix and the draft....

Great read on the draft process and Buddy Nix's role with the Chargers

Lets hope he will help right away in Buffalo

Nix's Path to the Draft
    Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007
    By Buddy Nix, Chargers.com
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/nix-s-path.htm

Leading up to the NFL Draft, Chargers.com will chronicle the draft process with Assistant General Manager and Director of Player Personnel Buddy Nix. In seven seasons with the Chargers, Nix has played a key role in all draft decisions, including decisions to choose Quentin Jammer, Philip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Nick Hardwick. Igor Olshansky, Nate Kaeding, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus McNeill, etc., etc., etc..

Buddy Nix

We’re about five weeks away from draft day now, and I have to say this is about my favorite time of year. We believe that the draft is the best way to improve our football team. The decisions that we make in the next few weeks are going to have a big impact on this organization. There’s some stress and pressure towards the end, but it’s a lot of fun. It’s competitive. We’re all trying to make our teams better.

The draft is a year-round process for our scouting staff. As soon as we finish this year’s draft in April, we have a mini camp and then take one week off. Then we meet and read scouting reports on all the juniors. We try to determine who the prospects are and track them all the way through the fall. That’s when it begins for us.

This draft is a lot different for our staff because we’re going to have to wait a while before we pick. We pick 30th in the first round. It’s challenging. When you’re picking in the top five or 10, it’s hard to not get a good player. With where we are this year, there are some guys that we know won’t be there. Sometime between now and draft day, we’ll get a better idea of the number of possibilities we may have at that position. Once you figure out who is likely to be there, you concentrate on those guys.

The thing to remember is that two years ago we got a really good player drafting 28th in Luis Castillo. Who would have thought Marcus McNeill would be sitting there later in the second round last year? It didn’t take us long to turn that pick in. You just do your homework and get ready for anything.

Right now I’m in the process of attending “pro day” workouts at college campuses all around the country. The Scouting Combine ends on a Tuesday and schools start having their pro days that Saturday. We go home, change clothes and go on the pro days. We’ll go to about three workouts each week. A couple weeks ago, I went to Auburn on Monday, Clemson Tuesday and LSU Wednesday. Then I flew back to San Diego on Thursday. That’s pretty typical.

I try to go to as many pro days as I can. I mostly go to places that have players that we think we might be interested in. We don’t go to every pro day. If a guy doesn’t do something at the Combine, we go to his pro day and get his “measurables.” Also, if there’s a guy that we think runs a 4.5 in the forty in the spring and he runs a 4.7 at the Combine, we know something is wrong. We’ll go to that player’s pro day to make sure we get an accurate number.

The Combine and pro days give you a chance to get to know these guys better, but we’re 90 percent set on a guy based on what he does playing. The other 10 percent is running, jumping and basically a track or gymnastics meet. We factor in the Wonderlic test and spend a lot of time talking to the guys, but generally the tape doesn’t lie. You’ll hear A.J. talk about a guy’s body of work. That’s what we want to see.

Character is big with us. We try not to bring in anyone who isn’t our kind of people. We talk to them and we visit with everyone we know about them. Scouting is a lot about who you know. You’ve got to do your homework to make sure you know that you’re getting a good player and a good person.

I have to spend a few days in March in the office meeting with coaches and getting ready for the time we’ll spend with our scouts reading our final scouting reports on all the draft prospects. Once the pro days have wrapped up, we’re allowed to bring 30 guys to our place to give them physicals. We’ve got a 10-day window to do that. A lot of my time in the office is spent organizing those visits. We’ll have two or three a day from April 4 to April 14. We’re allowed to keep them 24 hours.

In this business, you may miss on a guy every once in a while because we’re humans dealing with other humans. I can assure you we’ll never miss because of a lack of preparation. There’s too much at stake. I love what I’m doing so I have to do it the best I can to be successful.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Good article on Buddy Nix and the draft....

The only thing that bothers me about this guy is that he's 70 years old.
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
      Nothing bothers me about him being with the Bills. He's the best football mind they've had in that organization in years! He's the only reason I have any faith they won't screw up the draft this year....

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

I heard he still interviews prospects while running with them in the 40 yd dash
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mitchell55
          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          Nothing bothers me about him being with the Bills. He's the best football mind they've had in that organization in years! He's the only reason I have any faith they won't screw up the draft this year....

Levy?

Comment

• Nighthawk
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mitchell59
            Levy?
            He was not a good football mind. He was an OK coach, but he didn't bring anything to the table from a football intelligence standpoint or picking players and was nothing more then a figurehead when he was brought in here after the Donohoe debacle.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Feb 2005

he is getting up there in years but hey honestly in scouting if you have a eye for talent you got it, if you dont you dont. this guy picks them consistently and modrak is decent at his job so the 2 together should be able to piece things together, i am sure since nix was brought in kinda late that they have a few players that they want him to scout pro days on. i am sure that he is there to make sure we dont screw it up, as i have been saying i think we are going to spend some serious money this offseason and dont want to miss on our first 3 picks because we are trying to make a run with it being ralphs HOF induction year and we are in the hall of fame game and all, this is a big year for exposure for the bills and i would think ralph doesnt want to be embarressed this year above all.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

He was not a good football mind. He was an OK coach, but he didn't bring anything to the table from a football intelligence standpoint or picking players and was nothing more then a figurehead when he was brought in here after the Donohoe debacle.

Talk to Polian. BP still credits Marv with teaching him everything he knows about talent evaluation and running a football team (he worked for Marv in Montreal)
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

An OK coach huh? An OK coach doesn't go to 4 SB's and OK coach doesn't go to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You can knock the team for what it is now but you can not knock it for what it once was.

Comment

• Mski
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    An OK coach huh? An OK coach doesn't go to 4 SB's and OK coach doesn't go to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You can knock the team for what it is now but you can not knock it for what it once was.
                    he was a coach who had NO control over the team... that team was run by kelly, thomas, smith, reed.... kelly made all the calls on offense and didnt listen to marv when he was told what to call anyway.... no way a great coach would let his teams play sooo poorly in SB's, AND let them stay out all night drinking the night before
                    RIP Tommy D!
                    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mski
                      he was a coach who had NO control over the team... that team was run by kelly, thomas, smith, reed.... kelly made all the calls on offense and didnt listen to marv when he was told what to call anyway.... no way a great coach would let his teams play sooo poorly in SB's, AND let them stay out all night drinking the night before
                      Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mski
                        Fortunately for the rest of us the HOF doesn't agree with you.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Where does this "The Bills were all out drinking the night before their 4 SBs" come from?
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

O'RLY? A few years ago we lost Marc Ross who left us to become Director of College Scouting with the Giants and the following drafts they came up with:

1 31 31 Kenny Phillips DB Miami (FL)
                            2 2 32 63 Terrell Thomas DB USC
                            3 3 32 95 Mario Manningham WR Michigan
                            4 4 24 123 Bryan Kehl LB Brigham Young
                            5 5 30 165 Jonathan Goff LB Vanderbilt
                            6 6 32 198 Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky
                            7 6 33 199 Robert Henderson DE Southern Mississippi
                            1 20 20 Aaron Ross DB Texas
                            2 2 19 51 Steve Smith WR USC
                            3 3 18 81 Jay Alford DT Penn State
                            4 4 17 116 Zak DeOssie LB Brown
                            5 5 16 153 Kevin Boss TE Western Oregon
                            6 6 15 189 Adam Koets T Oregon State
                            7 7 14 224 Michael Johnson DB Arizona
                            8 7 40 250 Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall

Comment

• sauce
                              • Dec 2008

Glad spend most of my time on the range this MB is weak

Comment

Working...
                              X