PDA

View Full Version : Take it as it is....

more cowbell
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
some of you on this board remember and know that I work for the Bills. While im not trying to brag...im just trying to back myself up by saying that I talked with an individual who works in the Bills front office.

Take it as it is...This is what he told me earlier today.

1. The Bills number one target in free agency is Albert Haynesworth. They're prepared to offer him a contract making him the highest paid player in the nfl. This person told me that the front office recognizes the lack of a pass rush due to the fact that there is no pass rushing defensive tackle. Having two man eaters in the middle would certainly free up schobel and kelsay.

2. The Bills second target is Jeff Saturday. After investing a boat load of money in the OL, and also giving Peters a new contract (stay tuned) the presence of a veteran center like Saturday would make this offensive line the strength of the team. He is a player similar to Kent Hull back in the day.

3. Peters isn't going anywhere. He didnt play at the end of last season because he really was hurt...nothing to do with contract issues.

4. Shawne Merriman and Torry Holt are on the trade block.

5. The Bills and Chiefs agreed to a trade. Tony Gonzalez and a 5th round pick for a second round pick. The only problem was Gonzalez has a clause in his contract to void any trade. Which is exactly what he did.

6. The scouts really like Rey Maualuga and dont be suprised if hes our first round pick and we move Posluszny to the outside.

7. Bo Scafie is on the radar of the Bills as well. So is Owen Daniels but he is an RFA and looks to be a pipe dream.

8. No Chance we re-sign Jabari Greer.

9. The Bills are either going to go LB round 1 and DE round 2 (They like the kid from UCONN) or DE round 1 LB round 2.

10. Chris Simms is going to be brought in as our back up QB most likely.

and finally on a random NFL note....dont be suprised to see Mark Sanchez picked 1 overall to the Lions

more cowbell
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Ralph is supossely coming to life and realizing after his HOF induction that his years are running short and the time is NOW to make a run.

So sit back and watch the big FA splash. You heard it here first...

Romes
02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
If we get Haynesworth and Saturday I will crap my pants...probably literally. Then I will celebrate. Then I will change my avatar and my sig. Then I will have hope.

edit: then i will change my pants.

more cowbell
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
If we get Haynesworth and Saturday I will crap my pants...probably literally. Then I will celebrate. Then I will change my avatar and my sig. Then I will have hope.

me too my friend...i still wont believe it until i see it happen but this is what i was told so i figured id share

Nighthawk
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
some of you on this board remember and know that I work for the Bills. While im not trying to brag...im just trying to back myself up by saying that I talked with an individual who works in the Bills front office.

1. The Bills number one target in free agency is Albert Haynesworth. They're prepared to offer him a contract making him the highest paid player in the nfl. This person told me that the front office recognizes the lack of a pass rush due to the fact that there is no pass rushing defensive tackle. Having two man eaters in the middle would certainly free up schobel and kelsay.

2. The Bills second target is Jeff Saturday. After investing a boat load of money in the OL, and also giving Peters a new contract (stay tuned) the presence of a veteran center like Saturday would make this offensive line the strength of the team. He is a player similar to Kent Hull back in the day.

3. Peters isn't going anywhere. He didnt play at the end of last season because he really was hurt...nothing to do with contract issues.

5. The Bills and Chiefs agreed to a trade. Tony Gonzalez and a 5th round pick for a second round pick. The only problem was Gonzalez has a clause in his contract to void any trade. Which is exactly what he did.

6. The scouts really like Rey Maualuga and dont be suprised if hes our first round pick and we move Posluszny to the outside.

7. Bo Scafie is on the radar of the Bills as well. So is Owen Daniels but he is an RFA and looks to be a pipe dream.

9. The Bills are either going to go LB round 1 and DE round 2 (They like the kid from UCONN) or DE round 1 LB round 2.

and finally on a random NFL note....dont be suprised to see Mark Sanchez picked 1 overall to the Lions

Would love it if you were right, but I don't know.

Goobylal
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I like the thinking with Saturday, but isn't he getting a bit too old and injury-prone?

more cowbell
02-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I like the thinking with Saturday, but isn't he getting a bit too old and injury-prone?

he is getting older but hes still got 2-3 good years left. In my opinion hes still one of the top 5 centers in the league

Romes
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
me too my friend...i still wont believe it until i see it happen but this is what i was told so i figured id share

Thanks for sharing.

#1 seems like a pipe dream. He has said he wants to play down south and probably for a contender...but who knows if the Bills really throw him enough cash we may have a shot.

The rest seem pretty realistic. I like the idea of drafting Maualuga and moving Poz outside.

more cowbell
02-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for sharing.

#1 seems like a pipe dream. He has said he wants to play down south and probably for a contender...but who knows if the Bills really throw him enough cash we may have a shot.

The rest seem pretty realistic. I like the idea of drafting Maualuga and moving Poz outside.

I mean our FO can want to sign Haynesworth as much as they want...we certainly have the cap room to do it too...the only question is does he want to play here?

I remember him saying before the pro bowl he wants to stay in Tennessee so who knows...were about to find out in a couple weeks though

Goobylal
02-12-2009, 10:15 PM
he is getting older but hes still got 2-3 good years left. In my opinion hes still one of the top 5 centers in the league
If they get him, let's hope.

Taking the DE from UCONN in the 2nd would be a major mistake. He's best suited to play OLB or be a situational pass rusher.

Romes
02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I mean our FO can want to sign Haynesworth as much as they want...we certainly have the cap room to do it too...the only question is does he want to play here?

I remember him saying before the pro bowl he wants to stay in Tennessee so who knows...were about to find out in a couple weeks though

Right, I doubt he'd want to come here but like you say...we'll see.

Goobylal
02-12-2009, 10:19 PM
The Titans are almost sure to franchise Haynesworth.

more cowbell
02-12-2009, 10:21 PM
The Titans are almost sure to franchise Haynesworth.

They cant. He has a clause in his contract because he made the pro bowl they cannont franchise him

Goobylal
02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
They cant. He has a clause in his contract because he made the pro bowl they cannont franchise him
Really? Awesome! Get 'er done, Ralphie! And money talks.

FlyingDutchman
02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
:drool: Haynesworth and Stroud

jimbohastle51
02-12-2009, 10:45 PM

i can totally see the maualuga pick, poz was the best linebacker in the nation for 3 years before he hurt his knee, and maualuga is a buffalo type of player the way he plays. he gets dirty and has a blue collar type attitude with his prep and workouts and not the fastest and not the strongest but makes plays (i watched him lining guys up at the senior bowl on special teams and he was totally 100% into it, hes a leader). haynesworth i dont know about but i damn sure wouldnt be upset if we signed him, stroud and haynesworth would be the best DT tandem in the league for sure. chris simms as about as good as it gets for a backup in this free agency, there was no way peters was getting away anyways PERIOD!! NO ONE lets a franchise left tackle get away (they are as important as your QB), i could see saturday over brown but for some reason i believe birk will be our guy. man that was a informative post if it was true :) if not it was still a good read...

SeatownBillsFan21
02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
im all in baby make it happen

Oaf
02-13-2009, 12:40 AM

Very sad to hear this. Felt he was the Fred Jackson of our D till he got hurt. Anyway you could elaborate on this?

Thanks for the info.

DANMAN
02-13-2009, 01:15 AM
more cowbell i hope you are well informed, but it sounds too good to be true. I would love it if all that happens but I am skeptical.

1. Haynesworth. I never imagined he would be on the Bills radar at all. He will go to the highest bidder and will require the team that signs him to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. IMO.
Haynesworth and Stroud at DT...nobody would be able to run up the middle against us, nobody.

2. Saturday. Would be a good pickup. I'd prefer Brown or Birk but if Saturday can handle the 3-4 NT's then bring him in.

3. Peters. Hope your right and he stays.

4. Merriman and Holt. They may be available but would Buffalo trade for either one?

5. Gonzo. Water under the bridge. Did not think any NFL team allowed any no trade clauses.

6. Rey Maualuga. If he's that good bring him in and move Poz.

7. Bo Scaife. I would really like Bo in Blo, I think he would be the best Bills TE since Pete M. Daniels is a pipe dream, would cost a 1st and 3rd, no thanks.

8. Greer. Too bad I like Greer, wish we gave him a longer term deal last time he signed.

9. LB & DE or DE & LB is fine with me.

10. Simms. Would be an alright pickup but not too impressed by him. Better then JP.

Dujek
02-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Haynesworth would be an amazing addition, but I can't see him leaving the south, unless we make a truly insane offer.

Night Train
02-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Just to hear they're trying hard with roster improvement is somewhat encouraging.

Now if they only understood the importance of a solid front office (Coach,GM), which is still undercutting any onfield improvements.

Jauron is still the coach, which is like spotting the opponent 7-10 points each game.

mybills
02-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Jeff Saturday? :eek: :faint: :party: :jill:

patmoran2006
02-13-2009, 07:27 AM
While I dont think there is anyway we're going to pay Hanynesworth what he will command, I will say that Haynesworth will go WHEREVER the biggest contract comes from.. He's all about the money with this contract.

If the Bills signed Haynesworth, Saturday and Scaife-- combined with a good draft pick at #11, I think they'd become one of the favorites in the AFC.

But honestly, aside from Scaife, I dont see any of it happening.

acehole
02-13-2009, 07:43 AM
If true all great news.I cant believe they found the second weakest qb to back up the first.We need an influx at that position in a bad way.

madness
02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Haynesworth would be huge. I've been saying all along that if we had another top notch DT next to Stroud our DE's suddenly look a lot better as well as our whole damn defense. Plus, it gives us the opportunity to draft a DE early without having to also pick one up in FA. With so much money invested at the DE position, this is the best way to go.

Haynesworth has gone on record saying he wants to stay but that still means being paid the top DT in the league. If Tenn. doesn't want to pay, he'll find somewhere else that will.

Saturday would be a huge upgrade for the line and also gives the Bills room to draft and groom a young center behind one of the best centers in the league.

I'm glad TE seems to be a priority but a vet #2 WR should be as well. Hopefully they are seriously interested in Holt because I think he would be the man that could get opposing D's to take double coverage off of Lee.

ddaryl
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
sounds simply wonderful.... and I'll take this with a grain a salt

BUT as Romes said above "I'll crap my pants" ... heck I'll take it a step further. If the Bills get Haynesworth I will crap my pants. I will then on another pair of underware and crap them again. i will do tis until I go though all my underwear and have to buy some more, and then I will crap those as well..

I like the Saturday idea, but would almost rather they go younger at C with a guy like Brown

Not signing Greer in the above scenario makes sense do to the trade-off in talent improvng pickups listed.

Chris Simms doesn't make me forget about JP much

Is there any way we add a huge recieving threat in this dream scenario too...

Jan Reimers
02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
I may be the only guy on this board who likes Chris Simms. But I think he'd be a good addition.

Dujek
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I like Simms too, but you're backing up one fragile QB with another one.

If Simms is the #2 eventually the #3 will see the field.

madness
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I like Simms too, but you're backing up one fragile QB with another one.

If Simms is the #2 eventually the #3 will see the field.

He's the perfect compliment then!

Edwards goes down. Simms comes in and plays good enough to not hurt the team until he gets hurt which is right about the same time Edwards is healthy again. Sprinkle in a little #3 and then rinse and repeat.

madness
02-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I may be the only guy on this board who likes Chris Simms. But I think he'd be a good addition.

It looks like we may not even get a chance to add him...

QB Simms to re-sign with Titans? (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/13/qb-simms-to-re-sign-with-titans/)

By Chris Brown - Posted February 13th, 2009
With two free agent QBs and a wayward Vince Young under contract, the Titans have reportedly told Chris Simms they want him back (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/They%20reached%20out%20to%20my%20agent%20a%20little%20bit%20and%20contacted%20him,%20and%20I’ve%20had%20people%20reach%20out%20to%20me%20in%20the%20organization,%20too.%20To%20me,%20they’ve%20gone%20above%20and%20beyond%20by%20basically%20calling%20to%20say%20I%20was%20still%20on%20their%20radar%20and%20that%20they’d%20like%20to%20get%20something%20done.”). The Nashville City Paper spoke with Simms who told them the following.
“They reached out to my agent a little bit and contacted him, and I’ve had people reach out to me in the organization, too. To me, they’ve gone above and beyond by basically calling to say I was still on their radar and that they’d like to get something done.”
Sounds to me as if the Titans are trying to hedge their bets. Kerry Collins has made it clear that he doesn’t want to be a backup and may ultimately look elsewhere knowing that Vince Young is likely to get another shot at the starting job.
Simms meanwhile is just looking for some job security and if Collins doesn’t return he can move up from a #3 to a backup.
Interestingly enough the Jets are apparently interested in a couple of FA QBs that I’d like to see the Bills pursue in Byron Leftwich and Ryan Fitzpatrick (as backups for the Bills of course). But the Jets are apparently not interested in Simms.

Goobylal
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
While I dont think there is anyway we're going to pay Hanynesworth what he will command, I will say that Haynesworth will go WHEREVER the biggest contract comes from.. He's all about the money with this contract.

If the Bills signed Haynesworth, Saturday and Scaife-- combined with a good draft pick at #11, I think they'd become one of the favorites in the AFC.

But honestly, aside from Scaife, I dont see any of it happening.
I can see Saturday and Scaife. Haynesworth will require a ton of money. I'll be interested to see what he eventually gets, regardless of where he lands.

jamze132
02-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Sanchez will not be the #1 overall draft pick, unless Detroit trades down. Detroit is not going to take any QB with the #1 overall draft pick. You heard it here first, and I have no inside source...

Luisito23
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Sanchez will not be the #1 overall draft pick, unless Detroit trades down. Detroit is not going to take any QB with the #1 overall draft pick. You heard it here first, and I have no inside source...

Especially a QB who has only one year experience.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-13-2009, 10:50 AM
This is a wish list. I'd bet these FAs will be on most teams' wish list. I'd be surprised that they can get all of them to visit Buffalo.

justasportsfan
02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
He's the perfect compliment then!

Edwards goes down. Simms comes in and plays good enough to not hurt the team until he gets hurt which is right about the same time Edwards is healthy again. Sprinkle in a little #3 and then rinse and repeat.
that sounds like another disaster. That scenario would make the qb position the position that would hold us back from going anywhere , again.

OpIv37
02-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Sorry but that made me laugh. No way in hell the Bills make ANYONE the highest paid player in the NFL.

Saturday, Peters and Haynesworth would be an incredible offseason, but there's no way in hell this team spends that much. It's just not going to happen.

Plus, I have a feeling they could offer Haynesworth ownership of the stadium plus lunch with Ralph at Denney's every day for the duration of his contract and he'd still refuse to play in Buffalo.

justasportsfan
02-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Sorry but that made me laugh. No way in hell the Bills make ANYONE the highest paid player in the NFL.

Saturday, Peters and Haynesworth would be an incredible offseason, but there's no way in hell this team spends that much. It's just not going to happen.

Plus, I have a feeling they could offer Haynesworth ownership of the stadium plus lunch with Ralph at Denney's every day for the duration of his contract and he'd still refuse to play in Buffalo.
thats what people thought about our OL and only to find out we signed walker, Dockery a week later.You and Moran remember? Ralph is still an idiot but sometimes the old fart will surprise us. Maybe it's true that the HOf might have kept him from being senile for a day

Goobylal
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Ralph said that the team lacked talent, and they've been using "cash to cap" for several years, he's got a cheap head coach, and Toronto is paying him a wad of cash. I can see Ralph spending a lot, now that he's in the HOF and time is running short.

DraftBoy
02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Id love the FA moves but those draft decisions would be down right horrendous but given our history that's not a huge surprise.

OpIv37
02-13-2009, 12:05 PM
thats what people thought about our OL and only to find out we signed walker, Dockery a week later.You and Moran remember? Ralph is still an idiot but sometimes the old fart will surprise us. Maybe it's true that the HOf might have kept him from being senile for a day

The highest paid player in the NFL though? That's just not Ralph's MO. Maybe you're right- maybe he finally realized that what he's doing isn't working and he'll change. But he's stuck to his old-fashioned ways for so long that I just can't see him changing.

justasportsfan
02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
The highest paid player in the NFL though? That's just not Ralph's MO. Maybe you're right- maybe he finally realized that what he's doing isn't working and he'll change. But he's stuck to his old-fashioned ways for so long that I just can't see him changing.
they made Kelsay the highest paid back up DE didn't they?

OpIv37
02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
they made Kelsay the highest paid back up DE didn't they?

true but Kelsay sucks.

You're talking about the Bills spending money on a GOOD player. It's been a long ass time since that's happened.

madness
02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
true but Kelsay sucks.

You're talking about the Bills spending money on a GOOD player. It's been a long ass time since that's happened.

Through FA, he put up money for Mitchell, Walker and Dockery (even though Dock played like crap this year but I'm giving him the benefit until he works next to a capable center) and the Stroud deal was huge. Also if reported correctly, TG was ours until he voided the deal.

Honestly, this team hasn't been even close to good enough to put a boat load of money into any single player. That would have been more of a handicap than Ralph in a draft room.

Mski
02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
if we get haynesworth and saturday.... i'm going out to get seasons the very first thing the next moring

Al the Bills Fan
02-13-2009, 07:20 PM
if all this happens I am moving back to Buffalo and getting some season tix!!!

billogic99
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Ummmm, do these FA's have any say in where they play? Cause it would seem to me Buffalo isn't exactly a hotbed of talent and SB contenders. All I'm sayin is just because you make those players your priorty doesn't mean those players make us their priority. Everyone wnats to get paid, but no one likes to lose. How in the world are you gonna convince top notch FA to come to Buffalo and play when you endorse a HC that is 7-9 each of the last 3 years? I would think that would be a big problem when trying to bring talent here.

Akhippo
02-13-2009, 07:39 PM
If you have an opportunity to pull a franchise out of a rut with one player you do it. Albert is young and a beast. Nobody on the Bills is worth big money for production shown, but Haynesworth is. More than anybody we already have.

Get Haynesworth, Scaife, Miles Austin, and R Fitzpatrick.

First option is to trade down in this draft. We need to update our backups this year.
1. Linebacker
2. Center
3. Safety
3. Guard
4. Linebacker
5. Quarterback
6. DB
7. BPA

PECKERWOOD
02-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I like your mock offseason buddy, :up: .

I personally want a DE but if we got Albert Haynesworth + Stroud in the middle? Holy ****... Poz is best suited as an OLB, IMHO, I'd be more than happy with Maualuga as our MLB as well. Our defense would certainly have ALOTTA beef.

BTW, on point #4, if that's true than AJ Smith is a ******. How can you go out and diss LT like that and then put Shawne Merriman on the trading black after he bled for you on the field and risked destroying his career by playing with that injury? What a jerk.

ddaryl
02-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Ummmm, do these FA's have any say in where they play? Cause it would seem to me Buffalo isn't exactly a hotbed of talent and SB contenders. All I'm sayin is just because you make those players your priorty doesn't mean those players make us their priority. Everyone wnats to get paid, but no one likes to lose. How in the world are you gonna convince top notch FA to come to Buffalo and play when you endorse a HC that is 7-9 each of the last 3 years? I would think that would be a big problem when trying to bring talent here.

believe me... money talks... and if we were to land a top FA like Haynesworth or Suggs for example, other FA's ears would perk up if Buffalo called.

there can be a dominoe effect

Mr. Pink
02-14-2009, 09:29 AM
What this thread is really stating...

Ralph realizes after retaining Dick Jauron as HC, he needs a big splash with high end free agents in order to retain and get more season ticket holders.

Which is exactly what I was saying after the board meltdown of "if Dick stays I'm cancelling/not renewing my season tickets."

billogic99
02-14-2009, 10:08 AM
believe me... money talks... and if we were to land a top FA like Haynesworth or Suggs for example, other FA's ears would perk up if Buffalo called.

there can be a dominoe effect

Money does talk, but we aren't the only team with money to spend. If you were Haynesworth and you could play in Jacksonville, SD, Philadelphia or Buffalo where's the last place you'd choose? Be honest! I think there are players and plenty of them that don't care if they make a Million a year less as long as they have a chance to win a title. I think the Bill would stand a helluva lot better chance at landing FA's if A) They didn't have players holding out because they're aren't being paid what they want to be paid. B) Had a HC and FO that could actually WIN more than they lose. C) Didn't have to compete with other teams willing to spend money for top level FA's.

I'm not saying the Bills won't try and this isn't their plan, I'm just saying the FA's have a say in this and the Bills are like the ugly chick at the end of the night in a bar, or sure she'll get laid, but only because she's a last resort.

Goobylal
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
What this thread is really stating...

Ralph realizes after retaining Dick Jauron as HC, he needs a big splash with high end free agents in order to retain and get more season ticket holders.

Which is exactly what I was saying after the board meltdown of "if Dick stays I'm cancelling/not renewing my season tickets."
Part of keeping Dick was Ralph's belief that the talent level was the problem. So in lieu of firing Dick, he's forced to go after the top-level FA's. If he does that, people will renew season tix. Much more so than say, hiring one of the HC's that have already been hired.

PECKERWOOD
02-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Perhaps Ralph is starting to realize that he will be dead soon. I hate to sound like a bastard but if you or I have a long life, even we will be in his shoes soon enough.

jamze132
02-15-2009, 01:52 AM
I like your mock offseason buddy, :up: .

I personally want a DE but if we got Albert Haynesworth + Stroud in the middle? Holy ****... Poz is best suited as an OLB, IMHO, I'd be more than happy with Maualuga as our MLB as well. Our defense would certainly have ALOTTA beef.

BTW, on point #4, if that's true than AJ Smith is a ******. How can you go out and diss LT like that and then put Shawne Merriman on the trading black after he bled for you on the field and risked destroying his career by playing with that injury? What a jerk.
You honestly think Merriman was thinking about the "team" when he tried to play with the injury? :rofl: The guy has and always will be a "me" and a personal accolades guy.

jamze132
02-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Money does talk, but we aren't the only team with money to spend. If you were Haynesworth and you could play in Jacksonville, SD, Philadelphia or Buffalo where's the last place you'd choose? Be honest! I think there are players and plenty of them that don't care if they make a Million a year less as long as they have a chance to win a title. I think the Bill would stand a helluva lot better chance at landing FA's if A) They didn't have players holding out because they're aren't being paid what they want to be paid. B) Had a HC and FO that could actually WIN more than they lose. C) Didn't have to compete with other teams willing to spend money for top level FA's.

I'm not saying the Bills won't try and this isn't their plan, I'm just saying the FA's have a say in this and the Bills are like the ugly chick at the end of the night in a bar, or sure she'll get laid, but only because she's a last resort.
I think 90% of NFL players will play wherever they can make the most money after taxes.

billogic99
02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I think 90% of NFL players will play wherever they can make the most money after taxes.

I think Tony Gozales proved otherwise.

Goobylal
02-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Um, 100%-90% is 10%. Gonzalez, that $#%!, would fall under the 10%.

billogic99
02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Um, 100%-90% is 10%. Gonzalez, that $#%!, would fall under the 10%.

The point being a player as good as Gonzales has options as do all top notch players. If Buffalo were the only team on the market spending money the Bills would have a good chance to land players, they're not and as long as the better teams are willing to give up the cash players will play for the better teams period. No player is going to take 500,000 more to play for team that was 7-9 each of the last three years when they can lose that 500,000 and play for a team that is in the playoffs every year. The 10% number is very misleading, sure everyone loves money, but 90% of the players in the league don't care more about money than winning, they just don't!

HHURRICANE
02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure who your friend is but my firend says that we get a Center in FA, no DEs, and go after the DEs in the draft.

Romes
02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure who your friend is but my firend says that we get a Center in FA, no DEs, and go after the DEs in the draft.

Your friend and Cowbell's friend are saying the same thing...there might be some truth to this :scratch:

jamze132
02-16-2009, 12:44 AM
How so? It's not like if he accepted the trade to Buffalo, he would have been paid any more or less? :idunno:

Mitchell55
02-16-2009, 12:49 AM
I think we resign Crow then try to trade out of 11 if Orpak and Brown arent there. Or try to trade for Peppers. Should take a 2nd and 4th.

Mitchell55
02-16-2009, 12:50 AM
How so? It's not like if he accepted the trade to Buffalo, he would have been paid any more or less? :idunno:

I beg to differ with your sig.

jamze132
02-16-2009, 01:02 AM
uh, ok? :idunno:

psubills62
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
OK, I have a couple of comments/questions.

1. Haynesworth would be nice (definitely an upgrade over Kyle Williams), but he really concerns me. No one seems to remember that his play exploded during his contract years. He was still pretty good in his other years, but the only times he was absolutely dominant was during contract years (i.e. the last two).

Just look at the stats: 14.5 sacks during his two contract years. He had 9.5 over the FIVE years prior to those two. Again, I'm not saying it's not an upgrade...but I don't know if people realize that he probably won't be as dominant once he gets a 5-6 year contract paying him huge sums of money.

2. OK, so Saturday may have a couple good years left in him. That's fine. But are they planning on taking a C in the draft to replace him at some point? Considering he's fairly old and was injured for 1/4 of the season last year, I'd like to have a decent backup for him.

That's all I can think of...interesting post. I like the insight into the front office.

justasportsfan
02-16-2009, 09:22 AM
We all thought MAwae was washed up. He's doing a very good job with the titans.

billogic99
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Because Tony not coming here had nothing to do with money and everything to do with not winning.

jamze132
02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Because Tony not coming here had nothing to do with money and everything to do with not winning.
Why would the guy want to uproot his family in the middle of a season from a team he had played for his entire career just to go to a loser team?

Bert102176
02-16-2009, 02:00 PM

I read that on espn somewhere also that they can't sign him cause of making the probowl

plundar
02-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I hope your right. Time will tell. Good post. Gets us all excited for free agency.

Goobylal
02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
The Bills were 5-1 when the trading deadline ended. He wanted to go to a warm-weather city and/or larger market.

Bill Brasky
02-17-2009, 10:37 AM

poetically relevant.

DesertFox24
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Hopefully you are correct about Peters, he is only 26 and if we sign him and he shows up for all OTAs and training camp I think he will return to dominance.

Saturday goes against everything the bills have done in previous FA classes with this regime. They like to with under 30 players that is why I thought they would make a play to resign Preston and then draft a center. I like Saturday for no more than a 4 year deal but I am still cautious about it, but hopefully John Guy and team can make the correct assessment on if he can still play or not.

I doubt we go after Holt or any WR for that matter.

Merriman I doubt it, unless we trade them kelsay and a pick for him. Either way I just do not see it because he is looking for a new deal as well.

Greer is only 27 and McGee will be 30 I would rather keep the younger guy but unfortunately this the game and some of our favorite players will leave all the time. Unfortunately Youboty and McGee will be UFA next year so I am not sure what will happen hopefully Corner and McKelvin can become as solid as winfield and clements were.

Haynesworth, I just do not see it, but then again sometimes I wonder why anyone comes here.

ddaryl
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
one thing is for sure ... we need impact players. We have the role players and lunch pail players... We need game changers... and given the collapse last year, the Toronto games and the extra millions Ralph recieved, and the fact almost every fan wanted to hang Jauron we need a great offseason to have any real excitement for the season.

I believe we will get some top FA's... The Bills simply must deliver and gaining any sort of Ontario fan base requires something for them to get excited about... If Ontario is to be married to the Bills then Ralph needs to pony up

Marvelous
02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
i hope we keep Greer. IMO he's our best SHUTDOWN corner.

-Saturday seems similar to Fowler. atleast at the time we signed Fowler. I kinda want more from the C position at some point.

-Haynesworth would be nice, but is that really the problem w/ our D-line? IMO we need a guy to spell Kyle WILLIAMS & Stroud. Spencer is not worthy of that. This team already has 1 stud Nose, two seems like position overkill. But hey, we're Bills fans, we'll never turn down any superstar player :D

Nighthawk
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
i hope we keep Greer. IMO he's our best SHUTDOWN corner.

-Saturday seems similar to Fowler. atleast at the time we signed Fowler. I kinda want more from the C position at some point.

-Haynesworth would be nice, but is that really the problem w/ our D-line? IMO we need a guy to spell Kyle WILLIAMS & Stroud. Spencer is not worthy of that. This team already has 1 stud Nose, two seems like position overkill. But hey, we're Bills fans, we'll never turn down any superstar player :D

You cannot compare Saturday to Fowler...they're not even close! Saturday is a much better player. I'm not an advocate of signing him, but that statement was way off base.

Akhippo
02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Im sure Minny is worried about overkill. I just want them to be able to kill the QB. For immediate impact regarding FA's this year. Haynesworth would upgrade us immediately. More so than any LB/TE/DB, ect.

Akhippo
02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
The only problem I see with Saturday is that Indy has always had trouble with 3-4 D's also. The center is the one who makes the calls unless Manning does that too. And their line never seemed to dominate the Pats or San Diegos.

tat2dmike77
02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
After years of hearing promises that this offseason and season will be different and said promises were unfullfilled i will believe it when it happens.

Not trying to down play your info morecowbell but years of broken promises have me a bit skeptic. If half of these things happen i will be happy.

tat2dmike77
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Your post count doesn't count if make 6,348,890 threads repeating the same thing over and over again.

See what happens when someone makes a thread that makes sense and has valid reasons to it. Take some notes and learn.

tat2dmike77
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I think we resign Crow then try to trade out of 11 if Orpak and Brown arent there. Or try to trade for Peppers. Should take a 2nd and 4th.

How do you try to trade for a FA?

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM

They have had the highest paid player in the NFL on more than one occassion. So, while I think it is unlikely, it is not impossible.

Mski
02-17-2009, 12:59 PM
After years of hearing promises that this offseason and season will be different and said promises were unfullfilled i will believe it when it happens.

Not trying to down play your info morecowbell but years of broken promises have me a bit skeptic. If half of these things happen i will be happy.
+1

Mudflap1
02-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Look, I appreciate the thread and will give the benefit of the doubt that someone really did have this conversation...

That being said, not only is this "wish list" completely unrealistic and goes against the grain of everything that Ralph Wilson has done with the free agency era, I think it's very unrealistic to think that the "Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL" are all of a sudden going to be taken seriously as a franchise who wants to play in the big sandbox with the likes of the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Colts, Patriots, and other big name, noteworthy contenders. Even if this information is accurate, tigers don't all of a sudden change their stripes overnight, and the rest of the league knows that. Buffalo is still a small market, under-the-radar place with a stigma of being cheap on big name players, overpaying young, mediocre players with supposed upside, and overall being a pretty darn crappy team over the past ten years.

Yes, money talks, and maybe if there is enough money being thrown around, someone will sign with the Bills. But the Bills are a laughingstock right now. They're probably better off stockpiling draft picks and hitting the lottery there than trying to lure free agents, because it's probably a waste of time. Half of the battle of luring these top-notch players is the fact that Buffalo has been its own worst enemy the last ten years. Where would you rather go and play... the Titans, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Chargers... or Bills? I know where most would rather not go... do you?

Jon

THRILLHO
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
So lets say this is true, why would you risk your job posting here or anywhere?

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
So lets say this is true, why would you risk your job posting here or anywhere?

He is putting his "inside information" more eloquently by saying that he works for the Bills. For all we know he may have a rich friend who works at 1BD and he is putting it this way to protect his hide! Regardless, whether or not you believe him or not, saying that you yourself work at 1BD is way more persuasive than to say you have a rich friend who works there because we all know you are just acting to be bashed if you come out and say that. Even if he is lying through his teeth, his post was still interesting at the very least! And I wouldn't be upset if his offseason became a reality to be frank. So soon did you forget why us Bills fans loved Boomer?