PDA

View Full Version : Running backs status

HenryRules
08-30-2002, 12:09 PM
A lot of people are now saying they want Bryson over Huntley on the squad with Morris and Henry making the team as well. Morris is the best special teams player on the Bills so I think he makes it. Henry is the only one on the team who has had any success at all running the ball this preseason - regardless of how often or whatever, no one else has been able to do so at all. So I agree with Henry and Morris making the team.

However, I don't see what Bryson has done to all of a sudden convince everyone he should make the team. Last night, he fumbled the ball and looked horrible when caught in the backfield - which has always been his problem and why he'll never be a decent back, yet now everyone thinks he's earned a spot on the team. I don't understand this at all. Huntley has had at least one good game running the ball and I think he still might have the highest ypc on the team, so what has Bryson done to beat him out for the job? Is it his 1.9 ypc for the preseason? By the way, everyone talks about taking away Henry's big gain, well guess what, if you take it away, he still averages .5 ypc more than Bryson, just like Huntley does right now. Is it Bryson's big play ability? Well, then why does everyone that's touch the ball a fair amount of times (including AVP) have a longer longest run?
If past performance is what you're going by, Huntley has proven to be one of the best backup RBs in the leage (averaging over 5 ypc when making limited appearances) and that he can handle being a primary running back (averaging 4.0 ypc when carrying the bulk of the load for a team). Bryson on the other hand has shown that he absolutely sucks coming off the bench in a game (barely averaging 3 ypc) and that he might be able to be a full-time primary carrier but has yet to have the chance to really do so. If he may be as good as Huntley when being the primary carrier (but hasn't proven so yet) but isn't nearly as good coming off the bench, what is it about this guy that makes us want to keep him?