• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Portis given the word

The unseasonably cold weather Friday brought out some harsh realities for Clinton Portis.

Denver ain't Miami, and a lucrative new deal might be harder to find than snow in South Florida.

Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was perfectly blunt about that fact in discussing the subject for the first time Friday afternoon.

"He can't have his cake and eat it, too," Shanahan said.

The coach said Friday he offered a deal Thursday similar to one given Terrell Davis and Mike Anderson after their successful rookie seasons but that Portis' agent, David Ware, turned it down.

"I can't understand why. I gave him a good deal," Shanahan said with a laugh.

The deal would have provided Portis more money upfront but also given the Broncos security as it would have locked him up for a few more years than the four to which he initially agreed.

"Now, would we like to get a deal done with Clinton Portis? Sure we would. But he's got to give a little bit, and being rookie of the year, chances are he would want a lot more than we're willing to give up. You just can't have it both ways," Shanahan said.

Shanahan then hinted that Portis, a young player he believes is being influenced by veterans in Miami, essentially is stuck.

"If he decided he didn't want to play, we're going to have another back run for 1,200, 1,500 yards," said Shanahan, who last month drafted two more running backs in Quentin Griffin and Ahmaad Galloway. "And (Portis) also is going to have to sit out for three years before he can play again. He's got no choice. That's just the nature of this business."

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Portis is stupid if he thinks Shanahan can't or won't replace him...Denver has RBs produce as well as Ohio State CBs.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
    X