PDA

View Full Version : DraftGuys.com Three Round Mock

DraftBoy
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Round 1:http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2009_mock_first_round_nfl_draft/
Round 2:http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2009_mock_second_round_nfl_draft/
Round 3:http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2009_mock_third_round_nfl_draft/

Bills Picks:

11. Buffalo - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas - The Buffalo defense fell apart like a house of cards when Aaron Schobel’s pass rush presence disappeared due a foot injury. It’s time for them to make plans for the future with Schobel turning 32 in September, and no good pass rushers developing behind him. Orakpo has the strength and explosion to make a difference on third down even without many moves in his repertoire, and if he can learn to rip, swim, and spin, he could be dominant.

42. Buffalo - Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri - Coffman won’t be a great inline blocker, but he’ll be a welcome addition to any team that is looking for a big target to work the middle of the field. He could draw the attention of safeties, helping Lee Evans get single coverage more often, and punishing the defense when they do double cover Evans.

75. Buffalo - Jason Watkins, OT, Florida - Watkins is another left tackle with lots of athleticism and upside who shouldn’t fall out of the top 100. He did well for himself against tough competition at the Senior Bowl, and he can provide depth at both tackle positions.

For me, Id have to go with Unger in Round 2, and then in Round 3 Id take Bomar.

yordad
02-13-2009, 11:36 AM
I like it. But, I am assuming we will have a vet C by then.

DraftBoy
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I like it. But, I am assuming we will have a vet C by then.

Why?

Only Mack and Caldwell are off the board and if you count Unger then him too. That still leaves Wood, Luigis and Shipley for Round 4.

yordad
02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Why?

Only Mack and Caldwell are off the board and if you count Unger then him too. That still leaves Wood, Luigis and Shipley for Round 4.OK. But, we have 2 crap FA centers. It is a position in dire need of immediate upgrade. There are available centers. Centers do not command top dollar. I see no problem signing a top FA Center, then thinking about one in the draft if the value presents itself. That way we don't go into the draft with our hands tied, and are free to draft a tight end receiving threat, like the one mention with our second pick. Of course, if we already have the TE position upgraded by that time also, that would be a bit of alright too.

Mitchell55
02-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Um, tackle lol. We have a PBer at LT and our most consistant RT since Ballard.

DraftBoy
02-14-2009, 01:20 PM
OK. But, we have 2 crap FA centers. It is a position in dire need of immediate upgrade. There are available centers. Centers do not command top dollar. I see no problem signing a top FA Center, then thinking about one in the draft if the value presents itself. That way we don't go into the draft with our hands tied, and are free to draft a tight end receiving threat, like the one mention with our second pick. Of course, if we already have the TE position upgraded by that time also, that would be a bit of alright too.

There is no reason to pay an aging OC either when you get a young one and put him in from Day 1. There are 5 OC's (6 if you count Unger) in this class that could start for us from Day 1. They would all come cheaper than any other OC in FA. I dont think OC is a must get in FA as some others do. I am perfectly comfortable relying on a rookie from Day 1 there.

mysticsoto
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
In this mock, I'd prefer:

1. DE Orakpo
2. C Unger
3. DE Barwin

Yeah, two DEs with lots of potential could turn this team around. A good Center could also do wonders for the offense and Lynch/Jackson. And my, albeit optimistic, expected improvement from WR Steve Johnson...

psubills62
02-15-2009, 10:11 PM
There is no reason to pay an aging OC either when you get a young one and put him in from Day 1. There are 5 OC's (6 if you count Unger) in this class that could start for us from Day 1. They would all come cheaper than any other OC in FA. I dont think OC is a must get in FA as some others do. I am perfectly comfortable relying on a rookie from Day 1 there.

I'm interested to see if Buffalo feels the same way. Knowing how much they like veteran OL-men, it seems they would want a FA center. Even a guy like Meester, who isn't as sought-after as Birk or Brown, might be a decent pick-up.

Depending on who they get, I would be fine with using a rookie from the start. But I can see Jauron wanting an experienced guy who is mentally on par with the NFL already. Plus, it's not like centers are really that expensive, anyway.

clumping platelets
02-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Um, tackle lol. We have a PBer at LT and our most consistant RT since Ballard.

And what else? Chambers is UFA and Bell is still a long ways away. Need depth at OT

Mitchell55
02-16-2009, 01:44 AM
And what else? Chambers is UFA and Bell is still a long ways away. Need depth at OT

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I AM THE WORST POSTER HERE.

God, this reason for a OT is the worst ive seen my whole life.

You actually want to draft a backup offensive tackle in the 3rd round? We could find our starting DE, C, or TE in the 3rd. We could use a backup OT in the 7th, UFA, or FA. Not on a top 5 pick. Are you f'n crazy?

Mitchell55
02-16-2009, 01:45 AM

1. DE Orakpo
2. C Unger
3. DE Barwin

Yeah, two DEs with lots of potential could turn this team around. A good Center could also do wonders for the offense and Lynch/Jackson. And my, albeit optimistic, expected improvement from WR Steve Johnson...

Was up with TE?

DraftBoy
02-16-2009, 06:54 AM
PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I AM THE WORST POSTER HERE.

God, this reason for a OT is the worst ive seen my whole life.

You actually want to draft a backup offensive tackle in the 3rd round? We could find our starting DE, C, or TE in the 3rd. We could use a backup OT in the 7th, UFA, or FA. Not on a top 5 pick. Are you f'n crazy?

How old is our RT? Did our LT not just hold out for a new contract last offseason? Is our top OT backup not a UFA, and does he not suck anyways? I know that starters are the guys you look for but without depth and good depth you can't win championships. It doesnt happen, you have to get guys to be backups and they have to be good. The Bills have gone on for too long taking crappy backups at the OL slots. Its time to acquire some real depth here, Clump is 100% right about that.

DraftBoy
02-16-2009, 06:55 AM

1. DE Orakpo
2. C Unger
3. DE Barwin

What do you with Chris Ellis though? Now you've got 7 DE's on the roster going into camp. That's alot of DE's with limited roster space.

clumping platelets
02-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Clump is 100% right about that.

:D

DraftBoy
02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
:D

Yea I puked a little when I wrote that. :respect:

mysticsoto
02-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Was up with TE?

TE in the 4th or FA. Quite frankly I think Schouman and Fine are adequate - not great, but adequate...

DraftBoy
02-16-2009, 08:07 AM
TE in the 4th or FA. Quite frankly I think Schouman and Fine are adequate - not great, but adequate...
I think I just threw up a little again...

Get your combine picks in slacker!

mysticsoto
02-16-2009, 08:08 AM
What do you with Chris Ellis though? Now you've got 7 DE's on the roster going into camp. That's alot of DE's with limited roster space.

Most of the DEs we have on our roster are crap. Kelsay can go. So can Copeland Bryan and Corey Mace. Ryan Oneil is really the LS and Denney is kept b'cse of STs...but Barwin is great at STs too, so if it came to it, we could dump Denney also, though I don't think we'd need to do that. I'd still keep Ellis and give him the chance to improve. Next year's TC should ultimately decide if we keep him or not...

kernowboy
02-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I quite like the idea of Shipley in the 4th - he has something of a Jeff Faine about him.

As a FA, I'd look maybe at Jack Grove of the Raiders who has been solid when not injured. He wouldn't be too expensive.

I can see the desire for more depth at OT - I might consider Alex Boone who has experience both left and right - Peters didn't play like a Pro-Bowler last season and with a big contract might never reach those heights. A possible late pick could be Gerald Cadogan who has been sold for the Nittany Lions.

mysticsoto
02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I think I just threw up a little again...

Get your combine picks in slacker!

Done.

When do we start the 7 rd mock draft? 1st/2nd week in March?

DraftBoy
02-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Done.

When do we start the 7 rd mock draft? 1st/2nd week in March?

Yea right around then, it will be slower going this time because I can't do as much from this job, so we'll have to change the format a little bit this time around.

mysticsoto
02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Yea right around then, it will be slower going this time because I can't do as much from this job, so we'll have to change the format a little bit this time around.

Didn't BMN or somebody else want to participate also? That's going to be harder and take longer. And we'll need a 3-headed coin too.

DraftBoy
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Didn't BMN or somebody else want to participate also? That's going to be harder and take longer. And we'll need a 3-headed coin too.

Cant remember actually. Ill have to go back and look. I got the perfect coin!!

alohabillsfan
02-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm interested to see if Buffalo feels the same way. Knowing how much they like veteran OL-men, it seems they would want a FA center. Even a guy like Meester, who isn't as sought-after as Birk or Brown, might be a decent pick-up.

Depending on who they get, I would be fine with using a rookie from the start. But I can see Jauron wanting an experienced guy who is mentally on par with the NFL already. Plus, it's not like centers are really that expensive, anyway.

The top 4 rushing teams have starting Centers over the age of 30 with the oldest me K. Mawae at 38...

Whoever we get I sure hope that the person is strong enough to handle the 3-4 NT, which we currently happen to suck at...

Whether it's the draft or FA We need to hit on this one...

Mike13
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I figured you guys would take Pettigew with your first.

yordad
02-20-2009, 11:05 PM
There is no reason to pay an aging OC either when you get a young one and put him in from Day 1. There are 5 OC's (6 if you count Unger) in this class that could start for us from Day 1. They would all come cheaper than any other OC in FA. I dont think OC is a must get in FA as some others do. I am perfectly comfortable relying on a rookie from Day 1 there.OK. How about another day 2 tight end?

clumping platelets
02-21-2009, 04:12 AM
I'm available for a mock :D