PDA

View Full Version : Roscoe Parrish, best punt returner in NFL history

Mitchell55
02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.profootballhof.com/history/story.jsp?story_id=3125

Its a fact.

LtFinFan66
02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, he currently leads in avg. Let's see how the next few years go before proclaiming this a "fact'

yordad
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Awesome!!

yordad
02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, he currently leads in avg. Let's see how the next few years go before proclaiming this a "fact'Just because he is still playing, does that make it somehow less of a fact?

LtFinFan66
02-14-2009, 02:50 PM
yes. having the best average doesn't make someone the best in history

I admire his skills and am not trying to knock him

BlackMetalNinja
02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
It's only one measureable, "best" is a subjective statement and can be viewed in many ways by many people. I love Roscoe and think he's incredibly talented, I would not at all call him the best in history though.

Mr. Pink
02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Just because you lead in a category doesn't make you "best ever"

Scoe in no way was better than guys like Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Rick Upchurch, Eric Metcalf, Az Zahir Hakim, Deion Sanders.

But when you're young, you won't remember guys like this....so it's ok.

Hell, Devin Hester is better than him now.

yordad
02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Job = return
He who does it best, would have the best return average.
Maybe there are other contributing factors, but what is- is.
If you want to say he isn't the most talented, then you of course can make an argument.
But, claiming his surrounding special teams talent or coaching is the reason, not his skills, does not make it any less of a fact that he has produced more then anyone one in history per return.
Best = best at it = Roscoe Parrish
You can ask "why", but it doesn't change "is".

Mr. Pink
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Look at the list...

There's 4 HOFers on it.

Then ask yourself, will Scoe ever be a HOFer?

There's your answer if he's the best ever.

Crazygoo
02-14-2009, 03:11 PM
parrish may be good, but best ever. I don't know about that

yordad
02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Look at the list...

There's 4 HOFers on it.

Then ask yourself, will Scoe ever be a HOFer?

There's your answer if he's the best ever.Really? If you don't see the error in that wisdom, I ... I... I mean seriously. No special teamer is in the hall, so you know they ain't in there for returning. And, I know you know this! I'm pretty sure those guys were a bit of alright at other positions.

yordad
02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
So the "best ever" is somebody who wasn't the best at it? For a QB, or a DT, or a CB, this can be very ambiguous. But, when you say "best at returning punts", numbers don't lie. And, it isn't like he has had a small sample size.

Like I said, if you want to say "most skilled" or something like that, then you can argue all day.

Either way, I don't want to debate the language. I think it is pretty cool if you just say "he has the best return average ever".

jamze132
02-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I think it would have been more accurate if it was said that Parrish currently has the best punt return average in NFL history. Doesn't necessarily make him the absolute best...yet.

Syderick
02-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Right now he's doing well, probably better to say of active players average but who knows he maybe able to keep up that best punt return ave. As for Devin Hester he was great, but this last season was are a real down for him on returns. Both are still good returners though

Oaf
02-15-2009, 12:43 AM
On an average returnable punt, Roscoe Parrish gains more yards then anyone else who's ever played the game.

CuseJetsFan83
02-15-2009, 01:02 AM
this is about as great of a convo as pennington being best qb of all time....... he's the most accurate in terms of completion percentage...

roscoe is an excellent returner, albeit afraid of snow....... but to say all time, that remains to be seen.......

yordad
02-15-2009, 08:17 AM
this is about as great of a convo as pennington being best qb of all time....... he's the most accurate in terms of completion percentage...

roscoe is an excellent returner, albeit afraid of snow....... but to say all time, that remains to be seen.......
So the "best ever" is somebody who wasn't the best at it? For a QB, or a DT, or a CB, this can be very ambiguous. But, when you say "best at returning punts", numbers don't lie. Is there only one stat for a QB? Because a returner does 1 thing. 1 thing. And he did it better, by definition, then anyone. No fancy equation neccisary.

Forward_Lateral
02-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Eric Metcalf was the best ever. Period.

Jan Reimers
02-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Back in the day, there were guys like Ollie Matson and Gayle Sayers who were pretty darned good, too.

acehole
02-15-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.profootballhof.com/history/story.jsp?story_id=3125

Its a fact.

Yea and some want to show him the door.
Just another one in a long list of talented
players that get here and are not utilized
or porrly coached. The pats will pick him
us to give welker a breather from running
all over us.

Mitchell55
02-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Back in the day, there were guys like Ollie Matson and Gayle Sayers who were pretty darned good, too.

Gayle Sayers only had 2 PR TDs in his career.

PECKERWOOD
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think he is the best PR, ever, let alone the best PR in the NFL. I would rather have Reggie Bush or Devin Hester over Roscoe Parrish as a return man.

psubills62
02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I think it's a little early to say he's the best ever.

But I'm surprised no one's mentioned the actual numbers. Look at them. Parrish leads the next-best guy by MORE THAN A YARD average - 1.18 yards per return, to be exact. That is incredible. The next-largest difference between two consecutive players is 0.33 yards.

One thing people have to remember is that people like Hester may have more TD's, but since he has a lower average that tells you that he's much more inconsistent. Parrish will consistently get 10+ yards on a return, even if he doesn't break it open. Meanwhile Hester will break a few open, but will get shut down for the most part.

Really, average tells you all you need to know with punt returners - the other numbers only put it in context, like I did above with the TD's example.

Spiderweb
02-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it's a little early to say he's the best ever.

But I'm surprised no one's mentioned the actual numbers. Look at them. Parrish leads the next-best guy by MORE THAN A YARD average - 1.18 yards per return, to be exact. That is incredible. The next-largest difference between two consecutive players is 0.33 yards.

One thing people have to remember is that people like Hester may have more TD's, but since he has a lower average that tells you that he's much more inconsistent. Parrish will consistently get 10+ yards on a return, even if he doesn't break it open. Meanwhile Hester will break a few open, but will get shut down for the most part.

Really, average tells you all you need to know with punt returners - the other numbers only put it in context, like I did above with the TD's example.

As for his ability to return punts, Roscoe is outstanding, but I can't help but wish some of his punt return skills would rub off on his WR skills....

psubills62
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
As for his ability to return punts, Roscoe is outstanding, but I can't help but wish some of his punt return skills would rub off on his WR skills....

Oh I completely agree. Despite my praise for his PR skills, I'm actually one of the people who would like to trade him this offseason because of his lack of contribution as a WR. We've got perfectly capabale PR's (Fred Jackson, McKelvin), and we could stand to upgrade at WR.

I'm personally thinking we either sign Mike Furrey for the slot position, or draft a guy like Mike Thomas (round 3) or Jarrett Dillard (round 4-5) to replace Parrish in the slot. Both of these guys are similar in size to Parrish, but have the route-running skills that Parrish seems to lack.