• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Culpepper Coin Causing Commotion

The $102 million contract extension that quarterback Daunte Culpepper signed on Friday with the Vikings has ruffled feathers within the organization -- and the curve-blowing deal for a mediocre-to-above-average passer likely will piss off personnel execs throughout the league as they try in the future to negotiate deals with their own so-so signal-callers.

According to a league source, several members of the Vikes' front office are extremely upset that they were cut out of the loop regarding the impending deal. The present concern within the front office is that owner Red McCombs is becoming an older (much) version of Redskins' chief Dan Snyderbrenner.

Around the league, insiders are telling us that the streaky Culpepper shouldn't have gotten a contract of this kind unless he had a monster year in 2003. In our view (and in the opinion of others around the league), Culpepper's performance in three seasons as a starter (one great year, one good year, one crappy year) simply doesn't merit nine figures.

The other potential complication here is the effect of the big-money deal on Red McCombs ability to sell the team. The fact that this kind of money is tied up in one guy could scare away potential buyers. Then again, it's possible (as one league source speculated) that McCombs did the deal at the behest of a buyer who already is waiting in the wings.

After all, the Vikings previously had decided to take a wait-and-see approach with Culpepper. For no apparent reason, McCombs decided on April 28 to get the deal done.

But McCombs' snap decision isn't out of character. He has a history of impulsive decision-making with the Vikes. Two years ago, the $75 million extension paid to receiver Randy Moss came not long after McCombs told his crew to get it done. Now.

Speaking of Moss, we wonder how he'll react to the notion that he's not holding the fattest contract on the team. In our opinion, the fact that Culpepper is getting only $16 million in guaranteed money was a nod to Moss, who got $17 million in 2001.

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Culpepper is good...but not that good by a long shot.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

I see lots of money being spent badly.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Fat Tony
        • Sep 2002

Again, an example of Pro Football Talk's lack of understanding football and contracts.

Everybody "oohed and awed" Bledsoe's 100+ million deal when he signed it with the Pats 3 years ago- and it turned out to be one of the best deals in football.

This deal frees the Vikes of tons of cap space in the next few years. Plus, $16 mill of bonus spread out over 10 years is another bargain. and with only 16% of the contract guaranteed, if Culpepper flops (unlikely) he can be cut and it won't cost the Vikes an arm and a leg. It only hurts if he flops and gets cut the next 2-3 years.

6-7 years from now, a $10 million starting QB is going to be chump change.

Comment

• Fat Tony
          • Sep 2002

You can debate if he's a top 10 QB in the league- I think he is- not withstanding the collapse of his OL the past few seasons (death of Stringer, losses of some other top talent) and losses of Robert Smith and Chris Carter.

Give this guy some offensive talent around him and I think he's just as good as Vick- maybe even a better passer

Comment

• PA Season Ticket Holder
            You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
            • Jul 2002

We gave 14 million dollars to Takeo Spikes so I don't really see a problem with a Top QB getting 16 million.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home

Comment

Working...
            X