Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character

Criticism was levelled at Levy when he decided to make 'character' a central issue of his strategy, particularly as it seemed almost unenforceable, but with the NFL taking a harsh line against miscreants in the league, it seems that the front office should revisit this yet again.

But what is character? We have two players on roster who have both fallen foul of the leagues rules for contrasting reasons.

Marcus Stroud received a 4 game ban for steriod abuse, but this was actually contained in a supplement approved by the NFL at the time. He was rightfully furious and even more so with the perceived lack of support from the Jags which precipitated his departure. He has not offended since.

Marshawn Lynch is now on bail for a second offence in 12months. Innocent or not, how stupid do you have to be to place yourself in such a situation? The Bills chose to ignore some flags about his character when he came out as they did with James Hardy last year, and this may come back to haunt us. If you are stupid enough to behave like this, how much of a challenge must it be to learn the play book?

We have Jason Peters who is lucky to be in the league having been an undrafted FA throwing his toys out of his pram because he wants millions more than the millions he already earns and when he comes back, does his best to impersonate a turnstyle. Am I the only one astonished he went to the Pro Bowl? I question his character as its all about me and there is no 'i' in 'team'.

and we have now have calls to draft Brandon Pettigrew, who has previously been charged with assaulting a police officer.

The NFL is full of decent, hard working, responsible players as is the draft and in the current climate, the Bills must make 'character' a priority in deciding the final roster, who to sign in free agency and who to draft.

Whilst everyone deserves a second chance, once that second chance has come and gone, then difficult yet right decisions have to be made. In the case of Lynch, he should have never have placed himself in such a situation, and the Bills should take some criticism for not offering him the correct advice on how to stay out of trouble.

A player cannot help the team if he is sitting out through a four game ban.
  • BuffaloBillsStampede
    • Aug 2005

Re: Character

HAHA you said whilst.
    SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Players make mistakes they are human to hold them to higher standards at times is unfair, especially younger players. Some are just bad apples (see Pacman Jones) but some turn their lives around and become model citizens and players. Character is a very iffy thing for me.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

Character is interpretational.

Do I think Lynch is a bad character? No.

Do I think Lynch is a dumbass? Yes.

Thank God he plays a position in which the player isn't required to think.

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Marv wanted to build a team based on high football character, not just character in general.

It's a common misconception among Bills fans.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Look at all the good teams Levy coached in the 1980's -1990's that was formed by Polian. Many run ins with the law but they won and the charges went away. Smith,Kelly,Bennett,Talley,Thurman & more...all had the cuffs slapped on them.
            I stopped being offended by these guys years ago and don't buy their jerseys for that reason. They're spoiled cattle without any sense of responsibility, for the most part.

Why keep viewing them in an imaginary,unrealistic light ? Times have changed and the so-called "sports hero's " are few & far between.

Maybe the safest bet on the current roster is Lee Evans, who reportedly is one of the most decent guys around and spends tons of time on charity work.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• billogic99
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Players make mistakes they are human to hold them to higher standards at times is unfair, especially younger players. Some are just bad apples (see Pacman Jones) but some turn their lives around and become model citizens and players. Character is a very iffy thing for me.
              I don't think it's unfair when you consider how much money they make to play a game for a living. If they made the avg. income the rest of us make, I might agree. However there needs to be standards when you make stupid money for such an unimportant job. Football players are nothing but entertainers, they don't cure cancer, fight crime, put out fires or put their lives on the line to keep this country free. There is nothing selfless about being a sports star, they should have higher standards to equalize their ridiculous pay checks.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billogic99
                I don't think it's unfair when you consider how much money they make to play a game for a living. If they made the avg. income the rest of us make, I might agree. However there needs to be standards when you make stupid money for such an unimportant job. Football players are nothing but entertainers, they don't cure cancer, fight crime, put out fires or put their lives on the line to keep this country free. There is nothing selfless about being a sports star, they should have higher standards to equalize their ridiculous pay checks.
                I disagree, just because they don't do these things and make lots of money does not mean they are super human. In some cases players donate a lot of their time and money to causes. I know through volunteer work with the Make-a-Wish Foundation a number of Atlanta Falcons have donated time to fulfill a terminally ill kids last wish. They may not be curing the kid but that's something that can not and will not ever be taken away from that child. That a us everyday joes can't do for somebody.

You may find the job unimportant which is fine but to many people alot of these players are heroes, they are what make people (specifically children) get out of bed in the morning and are typically the first thing most kids set their goals as. For instance from about the age I could talk on, I wanted to be the next Jim Kelly. It isnt going to happen, but it was my first goal. Athletes play a very important role in our society whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, and like I said earlier only the 1% who are idiots are the ones who get the accolades its not the 99% who are good honest hard working folks who get ignored.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Peters situation is different than that of Lynchs and Hardy's.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• billogic99
                    • Oct 2008

I disagree, just because they don't do these things and make lots of money does not mean they are super human. In some cases players donate a lot of their time and money to causes. I know through volunteer work with the Make-a-Wish Foundation a number of Atlanta Falcons have donated time to fulfill a terminally ill kids last wish. They may not be curing the kid but that's something that can not and will not ever be taken away from that child. That a us everyday joes can't do for somebody.

You may find the job unimportant which is fine but to many people alot of these players are heroes, they are what make people (specifically children) get out of bed in the morning and are typically the first thing most kids set their goals as. For instance from about the age I could talk on, I wanted to be the next Jim Kelly. It isnt going to happen, but it was my first goal. Athletes play a very important role in our society whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, and like I said earlier only the 1% who are idiots are the ones who get the accolades its not the 99% who are good honest hard working folks who get ignored.

The reason you have Pac Man Jones, Plax and now Marshawn just to name a few is because they don't have higher standards. If you make under 50,000 a year and you get the same weapon charge Marshawn got, do you think you'd be walking out of jail just 2 hours after your arrest? No, so it's OK when they make mistakes cause they have the means to get them out of trouble while those that don't have 25 mill in the bank are stuck paying for their mistake the hard way. Yet you think the standards are fair? I fail to see the logic. OJ got away with double murder because he spent the money to get away with double murder, I think there's clearly a flaw in the standards.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billogic99
                      The reason you have Pac Man Jones, Plax and now Marshawn just to name a few is because they don't have higher standards. If you make under 50,000 a year and you get the same weapon charge Marshawn got, do you think you'd be walking out of jail just 2 hours after your arrest? No, so it's OK when they make mistakes cause they have the means to get them out of trouble while those that don't have 25 mill in the bank are stuck paying for their mistake the hard way. Yet you think the standards are fair? I fail to see the logic. OJ got away with double murder because he spent the money to get away with double murder, I think there's clearly a flaw in the standards.
                      You name 4 players total, and for every player you name I can name at least 10 are model citizens, your using an exception and attempting to apply it as the rule.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Yo billogic99, it's called living the American dream.

BTW, the importance of your profession does not always correlate with your wages.

What's more important, a lawyer or a garbage man?

Clearly the garbage man has a more important task but literally anybody can do his line of work. The lawyer on the other hand is paid far more than any garbage man but so few are qualified to do his line of work. Supply and demand, simple economics.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                          • Feb 2008

Strouds case happened along time ago and it was the steroid that was in the medicine he was taking. Lynch is not a thug, hes just stupid enought to not get a permit, Peters learned his lesson and the only reason he held out was his agent told him its the only way to get the contract, we havent even drafted pettigrew lol,

Comment

• billogic99
                            • Oct 2008

You name 4 players total, and for every player you name I can name at least 10 are model citizens, your using an exception and attempting to apply it as the rule.
                            Well there's a simple answer, don't break the rules and you won't have to worry about the higher standards. You can't have your cake and eat it too. There's has to be rules made to prevent the problems that occur. You want to knowingly break a law, than your privlages shouldn't allow you to simply walk away. There needs to be an equalizer to the unbelieveable fortune you've been given.

Would you trade your job doing whatever it is you do to be in Marshawns position to earn millions of doallrs playing a sport? I think 99% of the population would. If the ability to be a professional football player making millions of dollars is so hard....and make no mistake it is, than obviously there should be some sort of responsibility that comes with the privilige.

What about the owners who put all that money on the line? Aren't they entitled to any rights? You seem to think it's all about the players and their rights and what fair to them. I think the players can afford to make a few sacrafices to make millions of dollars and have all the fame.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

everyone does a few really stupid things in life.. Most of us grow up in our 20's and settle down in that time. These athletes have to do their learning while having fistful of dollars and freedom to do what they want. That IMO makes it a lot harder to learn and become humble...

If I had won a couple million in my 20's I would have acted quite a bit differently then if I were to come across that kind of coin today. I have learned many life lessons since then.

If Lynch actually had the gun locked up in the trunk then I give him some credit for that, but he is going to have to take his suspension this time and hopefully this is the one that sticks with him.. next time its strike 3...

I really wish i could sit down with the guy and get to know him so I can understand his menatality for carrying a gun and being in places where he feels he needs it.

Comment

Working...
                              X