PDA

View Full Version : When the Sabres finish out of the playoffs....

OpIv37
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
This game will be the turning point.

Last night's loss was a 4 point swing. Instead of a 5 point advantage, the Sabres now have a mere 1 point advantage. ANY loss for the rest of the season gives them the opportunity to jump ahead.

Even worse than that, it was an absolutely pathetic effort. RJ and Neale even commented during the game that this game was more important for Carolina than it was for Buffalo, which is absolutely inexcusable for a Buffalo team that's barely clinging to a playoff spot with Carolina right on their heels.

And for those of you still thinking this team will make the playoffs, just think about how bad this team has been in the 3 1/2 games since Vanek's been out: 1-2-1 and the only win involved last second heroics after coughing up a 3 goal lead. They really only played one good period during that entire span (the first period against San Jose).

RockStar36
02-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Ummm...maybe you should check the standings again. In fact, do you ever check them?

The Sabres have been either in 7th place or tied for it for a good solid month now. The only difference is that they have more separation now between Carolina/Pittsburgh than they did a few weeks ago.

Nighthawk
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Ummm...maybe you should check the standings again. In fact, do you ever check them?

The Sabres have been either in 7th place or tied for it for a good solid month now. The only difference is that they have more separation now between Carolina/Pittsburgh than they did a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately they're way to inconsistent to be taken seriously as a lock to make the playoffs.

Dr. Lecter
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Unfortunately they're way to inconsistent to be taken seriously as a lock to make the playoffs.

They might not be a lock to make it, but there sure as hell are not a lock to miss them either.

BTW, they still have 2 games left against Carolina. So they can still finish the season 3-1 against them.

One last thing: they are 3 ahead of Carolina, 1 ahead of Pittsburgh, are tied with Florida, 2 behind Montreal and the Rangers, and 5 behind the Flyers.

They are in a rough patch the last 5 games, but are still 12-7-1 in 2009.

BlackMetalNinja
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Stop it Doc, you'll ruin this for some...

http://denisewymore.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Nighthawk
02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
They might not be a lock to make it, but there sure as hell are not a lock to miss them either.

BTW, they still have 2 games left against Carolina. So they can still finish the season 3-1 against them.

One last thing: they are 3 ahead of Carolina, 1 ahead of Pittsburgh, are tied with Florida, 2 behind Montreal and the Rangers, and 5 behind the Flyers.

They are in a rough patch the last 5 games, but are still 12-7-1 in 2009.

Nobody said they are a lock to miss it, but this team needs to finally address some of their deficiences at the trade deadline or we aren't going to see much of the playoffs. We will see...

Dr. Lecter
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Nobody said they are a lock to miss it, but this team needs to finally address some of their deficiences at the trade deadline or we aren't going to see much of the playoffs. We will see...

Look at the thread title

OpIv37
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Sabres are in 8th right now and in fact over the last month they've been going back and forth between 7th and 8th. And last night was still a 4 point swing regardless. And they still have only played 1 good period since Vanek got hurt.

Mitchell55
02-16-2009, 09:22 PM
LOL, Op, 2 games ago you were talking so great of buffalo. You have severe mind changes.

RockStar36
02-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Sabres are in 8th right now and in fact over the last month they've been going back and forth between 7th and 8th. And last night was still a 4 point swing regardless. And they still have only played 1 good period since Vanek got hurt.
They are in 8th because Florida has played one less game. That tie-breaker goes out the window once the season is over. They are tied for 7th right now and with FLA playing NJD tonight, they have every opportunity to take over 7th again.

And over the last month, the Sabres have been in 7th the whole time.

BlackMetalNinja
02-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I really do love this thread though... besides the fact that you have some faulty information Op... I love it that your focus is on the Sabres being only 3 (I know you said 1, but hell, who needs accuracy) points ahead of Carolina, yet you neglect the fact that they are also only 2 points behind Montreal and the Rangers (who have a game in hand) for 5th.

The next two weeks will be much more telling. We have Philly, The Rags, and the Hurricanes again in that time, all of which will prove pretty important. I'm nowhere near as ready to write this team off as you are.

JD
02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
After the Sharks game people here were masturbating over the win, without vanek. Now we lose to Carolina and we're in the bottom of the league or something.

We'll finish 6th or 7th which is fine by me cause of 1999 bay bayyyy!

RockStar36
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I really do love this thread though... besides the fact that you have some faulty information Op... I love it that your focus is on the Sabres being only 3 (I know you said 1, but hell, who needs accuracy) points ahead of Carolina, yet you neglect the fact that they are also only 2 points behind Montreal and the Rangers (who have a game in hand) for 5th.

The next two weeks will be much more telling. We have Philly, The Rags, and the Hurricanes again in that time, all of which will prove pretty important. I'm nowhere near as ready to write this team off as you are.

The best part is, if you have followed the standings over the past month, they are actually in a better position today than they were prior. I love how one game defines everything. Makes me miss this place.

JD
02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
The best part is, if you have followed the standings over the past month, they are actually in a better position today than they were prior. I love how one game defines everything. Makes me miss this place.
:console: ..I missed you

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM

We didn't just beat Montreal or Philly. We just lost to Carolina. A 4 point swing. See how that works? We're NOT moving up on the teams ahead of us. The teams behind us ARE moving up on us. It's really not that difficult to figure out.

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 05:51 PM

ONE game? How about "every game since Vanek got injured" like I said in my initial post. LEARN TO READ.

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
And over the last month, the Sabres have been in 7th the whole time.

you're just flat out wrong about this. I know for a fact that they were in 8th early last week.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 06:01 PM
you're just flat out wrong about this. I know for a fact that they were in 8th early last week.

No, I think they were tied then too.

And they also were up to a tie for 6th late last week.

Not to mention, since you had a number of facts wrong in your first post (i.e. the points ahead of Carolina), maybe you should not be so picky on somebody possibly being off on them dropping to 8th for one day. It was part of your post that was "Flat out wrong".

A month ago, the Sabres were bouncing back and forth between 8th and 10th, and were about 10 points out of 4th.

Now, they have a 5 point or so lead (did not check this AM) on 10th, 3 points on 9th and are much closer to 4th.

Overall their situation has improved.

BlackMetalNinja
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't wait until after tonight's game. It'll either be, "I told you this team was awful" or "It was only Toronto, we're supposed to beat them"

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 06:25 PM
No, I think they were tied then too.

And they also were up to a tie for 6th late last week.

Not to mention, since you had a number of facts wrong in your first post (i.e. the points ahead of Carolina), maybe you should not be so picky on somebody possibly being off on them dropping to 8th for one day. It was part of your post that was "Flat out wrong".

A month ago, the Sabres were bouncing back and forth between 8th and 10th, and were about 10 points out of 4th.

Now, they have a 5 point or so lead (did not check this AM) on 10th, 3 points on 9th and are much closer to 4th.

Overall their situation has improved.

From Sunday night to Monday morning, their situation got WORSE. That's what spurred the post. Oh and btw, all that position jockeying happened BEFORE Vanek got injured. Why does everyone just ignore that point?

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
OP YOU ARE WRONG.... AGAIN!!!!

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 06:36 PM

just like I was wrong about this team struggling to hold a playoff spot? Just like I was wrong about the Bills sucking when they were 5-1. You keep thinking that because it's easier to deal with than the truth. But I'm right and time will tell.

hydro
02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
And then we beat arguably the BEST team in the league without Vanek...

And mind you, with three PP goals...

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
And then we beat arguably the BEST team in the league without Vanek...

And mind you, with three PP goals...

yeah, just forget about the fact that we blew a 3 goal lead and were 3.8 seconds away from losing that game... that game was ONE good period- that was it.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
yeah, just forget about the fact that we blew a 3 goal lead and were 3.8 seconds away from losing that game... that game was ONE good period- that was it.
We beat the Best team in hockey without Vanek. That is all I care to know.

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
We beat the Best team in hockey without Vanek. That is all I care to know.

that's ignorant. It completely neglects the crucial fact that we gave up a 3 goal lead at home against a team that had to travel 3000 miles. but hey, just ignore any information that tells the truth about this team....

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
that's ignorant. It completely neglects the crucial fact that we gave up a 3 goal lead at home against a team that had to travel 3000 miles. but hey, just ignore any information that tells the truth about this team....
No it is FACT. It doesn't neglect anything.

Nighthawk
02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
I could careless about just making the playoffs...it's more important to me WHAT they do if they get there. If they lose in the first round...that won't do anything for me.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 07:04 PM

So an almost win is no different than a regular loss, but an almost loss is much different than a regular win?

And, as for ignoring information, you are doing that as well. Montreal playing much worse than the Sabres have been lately. One does have to look at other teams too. Gaustad is a game or two away from returning. Vanek another 2-3 weeks away. Montreal's struggles. The fact that Ottawa has not lost in regulation in 5 games and have been playing well. The overall good play of the team since the New Year.

The team is not perfect for sure. But they are still 3 points up on 9th (which you have been ignoring - if you think having the facts wrong still support you argument start adding a "JMO!!!!!!!!" at the end of your posts).

At least if they make the playoffs I know you will man up about it.

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
So an almost win is no different than a regular loss, but an almost loss is much different than a regular win?

And, as for ignoring information, you are doing that as well. Montreal playing much worse than the Sabres have been lately. One does have to look at other teams too. Gaustad is a game or two away from returning. Vanek another 2-3 weeks away. Montreal's struggles. The fact that Ottawa has not lost in regulation in 5 games and have been playing well. The overall good play of the team since the New Year.

The team is not perfect for sure. But they are still 3 points up on 9th (which you have been ignoring - if you think having the facts wrong still support you argument start adding a "JMO!!!!!!!!" at the end of your posts).

At least if they make the playoffs I know you will man up about it.

We're 3 points up on 9th but COULD be 7 points up on 9th if it wasn't for a TERRIBLE effort against the TEAM IN 9th! There's NO EXCUSE for that kind of pathetic effort with so much on the line, especially since Carolina isn't even that good.

The overall play of the team since NY was WITH Vanek- duh.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
We're 3 points up on 9th but COULD be 7 points up on 9th if it wasn't for a TERRIBLE effort against the TEAM IN 9th! There's NO EXCUSE for that kind of pathetic effort with so much on the line, especially since Carolina isn't even that good.

The overall play of the team since NY was WITH Vanek- duh.

They had a bad game against Carolina. Nobody is denying that. Nobody. Not one person. You seem to be under the impression that we are.

What we are trying to do, and have by any objective measure, is show you that the season is NOT over. That they still are more likely to make the playoffs, and maybe even move up, than not make the playoffs.

Or is how Montreal playing not relevant? Or the fact the Pittsburgh is falling apart too? Or that Vanek is not out for the year? Or that Goose is coming back Thursday (another guy they have missed)? Or that they still have 2 games against Carolina and can finish the year 3-1 against them?

You took one bad game and somehow made into an entire bad season.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
One last thing:

The Sabres are now in a 4-way tie for 5th place, still 3 up on Carolina who lost tonight.

Included in those 4 teams are Montreal (3-10 streak) and the Rangers (1-7 streak).

And the Sabres are in the worst shape of those teams?????????

Before you go off on the Sabres, you need to look at how the other contenders are doing too. And there are teams doing worse than the Sabres right now, even without Vanek and Gaustad.

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
They had a bad game against Carolina. Nobody is denying that. Nobody. Not one person. You seem to be under the impression that we are.

What we are trying to do, and have by any objective measure, is show you that the season is NOT over. That they still are more likely to make the playoffs, and maybe even move up, than not make the playoffs.

Or is how Montreal playing not relevant? Or the fact the Pittsburgh is falling apart too? Or that Vanek is not out for the year? Or that Goose is coming back Thursday (another guy they have missed)? Or that they still have 2 games against Carolina and can finish the year 3-1 against them?

You took one bad game and somehow made into an entire bad season.

Yeah, this is the first time all season I've said something bad about this team :rolleyes:. This season was over during the off-season when this idiotic FO decided the only thing separating last year's pathetic team from a playoff run was Craig Rivet.

Pittsburgh is a mess and haven't been relevant in a while. Montreal may be falling apart too but they're still up on the Sabres, and the Sabres are still losing ground to the 9th team. As long as that's the case, who cares how the team ahead of them is playing? They're not going to catch them. Getting Goose back will help, but this team may dig themselves into an insurmountable hole before Vanek returns. It's not like they were that great before Vanek went down- they were barely clinging to 8th (or tied for 7th- it's semantics because either way two bad games puts them out).

I will say one thing though- I'm finally sold on Vanek. I've been very critical of him, but this team is clearly better with him.

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
One last thing:

The Sabres are now in a 4-way tie for 5th place, still 3 up on Carolina who lost tonight.

Included in those 4 teams are Montreal (3-10 streak) and the Rangers (1-7 streak).

And the Sabres are in the worst shape of those teams?????????

Before you go off on the Sabres, you need to look at how the other contenders are doing too. And there are teams doing worse than the Sabres right now, even without Vanek and Gaustad.

Again, a 4 way tie for 5th means they're 2 bad games from being out of the playoffs. The East is tight- there is NO room for error.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, this is the first time all season I've said something bad about this team :rolleyes:. This season was over during the off-season when this idiotic FO decided the only thing separating last year's pathetic team from a playoff run was Craig Rivet.

Pittsburgh is a mess and haven't been relevant in a while. Montreal may be falling apart too but they're still up on the Sabres, and the Sabres are still losing ground to the 9th team. As long as that's the case, who cares how the team ahead of them is playing? They're not going to catch them. Getting Goose back will help, but this team may dig themselves into an insurmountable hole before Vanek returns. It's not like they were that great before Vanek went down- they were barely clinging to 8th (or tied for 7th- it's semantics because either way two bad games puts them out).

I will say one thing though- I'm finally sold on Vanek. I've been very critical of him, but this team is clearly better with him.

Montreal is on a 3-10 streak. The Rangers on a 1-7 streak. The Sabres are now tied for 5th, with 3 other teams. So Montreal is not up on them and the Sabres are, and have been, gaining on the Rangers, Habs and even the Flyers.

So two good games by them (or bad games by the Habs/Rangers) puts them in.

You are also assuming that the Sabres bad games are offset by good games by the Hurricanes.

And how the hell will they dig themselves into an "insurmountable hole" before Vanek gets back when they are 3 points up on 9th and 4 on 10th? At worse, how much will they lose in the next 2-3 weeks? 5 or 6 points? Will they be 1 or 2 points out? That is insurmountable?

OpIv37
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Montreal is on a 3-10 streak. The Rangers on a 1-7 streak. The Sabres are now tied for 5th, with 3 other teams. So Montreal is not up on them and the Sabres are, and have been, gaining on the Rangers, Habs and even the Flyers.

So two good games by them (or bad games by the Habs/Rangers) puts them in.

You are also assuming that the Sabres bad games are offset by good games by the Hurricanes.

And how the hell will they dig themselves into an "insurmountable hole" before Vanek gets back when they are 3 points up on 9th and 4 on 10th? At worse, how much will they lose in the next 2-3 weeks? 5 or 6 points? Will they be 1 or 2 points out? That is insurmountable?

It is when you're surrendering games to teams like Carolina that are close and giving them tiebreakers. It is when the team is as streaky as the Sabres are. The Rangers are streaky but the Canadiens are a better team than that and we can't count on them to continue to play so poorly. Why is it that you think the Sabres can suddenly step it up but these other teams will continue to play poorly?

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Again, a 4 way tie for 5th means they're 2 bad games from being out of the playoffs. The East is tight- there is NO room for error.

And the fact that Montreal and the Rangers are playing worse that the Sabres are right now? Does that mean anything? Hell, the Habs just sent Kovalev home.

You ASSUME that two bad games by the Sabres are also in conjuncture with two good games by Carolina. No doubt the East is tight.

But do you think the Sabres need to go 25-0 the rest of the season?

I doubt they will. Nor will the Rangers, Habs, Hurricanes, Panthers, Penguins or Flyers.

Last year the last spot in the East was 94 points. After tonight, the Sabres have 66. I am not sure that 94 will be the cutoff this year, more likely it will be 92 or so. But even at 94 that is 28 points out of 48 for the rest of the year. They are on pace for between 93 and 94.

They are not a lock to be in. That is for sure.

But they are also not a lock to be out and not all is doom and gloom right now.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 10:30 PM
It is when you're surrendering games to teams like Carolina that are close and giving them tiebreakers. It is when the team is as streaky as the Sabres are. The Rangers are streaky but the Canadiens are a better team than that and we can't count on them to continue to play so poorly. Why is it that you think the Sabres can suddenly step it up but these other teams will continue to play poorly?
Because the Sabres long trend is positive and Vanek will be back.

And you are assuming the Sabres won't pick it up and will get worse, while all of the other teams get on fire; why is what I am doing so different?

As for Montreal, like I said they just benched Kovalev for at least two games.

Is that relevant at all?

One other thing in the Sabres advantage - Out of Montreal, Florida, Carolina, the Rangers, Pittsburgh and the Flyers the Sabres likely have the best goaltending. Maybe Price and Lundqvist are close (Price has not been as good this year though). That is a major advantage late in the season. They also have the best head coach.

SabreEleven
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM

They'll prove him right next game and than they'll prove him wrong next game and then they'll prove him right and so on and so on....Inconsistency at it's finest.

JD
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
We need some LW gems to spice up this thread.

CuseJetsFan83
02-18-2009, 12:25 AM
http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/

BlackMetalNinja
02-18-2009, 06:16 AM
The amount of misinformation in this thread is amusing. Let's take a look at this for a second:

<table width="658" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"><td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/bruins/images/logos/small.png (http://bruins.nhl.com/)
Boston Bruins (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=BOS)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">NE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">40</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">10</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">8</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">88</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">197</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">131</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">19-4-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">21-6-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5-2-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/capitals/images/logos/small.png (http://capitals.nhl.com/)
Washington Capitals (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=WSH)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">SE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">57</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">36</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">77</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">191</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">163</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">22-4-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-12-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">6-2-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/devils/images/logos/small.png (http://devils.nhl.com/)
New Jersey Devils (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=NJD)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">37</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">18</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">77</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">179</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">145</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">19-10-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">18-8-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">7-3-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/images/logos/small.png (http://flyers.nhl.com/)
Philadelphia Flyers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=PHI)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">55</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">9</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">69</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">179</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">161</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16-7-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-9-6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">6-4-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/canadiens/images/logos/small.png (http://canadiens.nhl.com/)
Montr&#233;al Canadiens (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=MTL)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">NE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">57</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">21</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">172</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">172</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">17-6-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">13-15-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">3-7-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/panthers/images/logos/small.png (http://panthers.nhl.com/)
Florida Panthers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=FLA)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">SE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">57</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">29</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">20</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">8</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">164</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">155</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16-7-5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">13-13-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">7-3-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">7</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/sabres/images/logos/small.png (http://sabres.nhl.com/)
Buffalo Sabres (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=BUF)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">NE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">22</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">172</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">160</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16-11-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-11-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5-4-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">8</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/images/logos/small.png (http://www.newyorkrangers.com/)
New York Rangers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=NYR)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">22</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">144</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">162</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">17-9-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">13-13-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">2-6-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td colspan="14" height="3">
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">9</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/hurricanes/images/logos/small.png (http://hurricanes.nhl.com/)
Carolina Hurricanes (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=CAR)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">SE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">28</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">25</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">61</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">147</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">171</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-13-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-12-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5-5-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">10</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/logos/small.png (http://penguins.nhl.com/)
Pittsburgh Penguins (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=PIT)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">27</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">25</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">60</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">173</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">178</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">15-12-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">12-13-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">4-4-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 2</td></tr></tbody></table>

First of all, we're 5 points up on Carolina, who is in the 9th spot, and we're tied with 3 other teams for 5th, though Florida and Montreal have a game in hand.

As for your dwelling on this Carolina game Op, it's silly at best. We all admitted they played horribly and it was a crappy loss, but it's not nearly as backbreaking as you'd like to make it. As for your 4 point swing... ok, at worst that counteracts the "4 point swing" that occurred when we beat them. On top of that, we still play them 2 more times, so it's not exactly like that one game some how counts more than the rest.

Regardless of anything else posted in this thread, the bottom line is that we have 24 games left and each of them is going to be progressively more important than the one you can't seem to get past from Sunday.

hydro
02-18-2009, 06:21 AM
The sad thing is Op is just digging himself a bigger and bigger hole because he doesn't want to be proven wrong. Can someone really be this pessimistic about a team he likes?

RockStar36
02-18-2009, 06:26 AM
This thread is comical at best.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
The sad thing is Op is just digging himself a bigger and bigger hole because he doesn't want to be proven wrong. Can someone really be this pessimistic about a team he likes?

I never question his fanhood. I know he loves this team.

But his perception of what has been happening does not match up with the reality of what has been happening. The numbers prove that.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 07:48 AM
The amount of misinformation in this thread is amusing. Let's take a look at this for a second:

Sorry. :sadwalk:

One other note: in the last ten games the Sabres have 11 points, Montreal 6, Carolina 10, Pittsburgh 10 and the Rangers 6. All teams the Sabres are losing ground to.

And a final comment on Sunday. While I will not, and can not, defend their play let's be honest - human emotion is a factor. They came out flying Friday night and were able to pull off a win in thrilling fashion. After being to able to think all that went on, including having a number of players and the head coach living less than miles from the crash site, they came out flat. There is not doubt they played a bad game, but at the end of the day it is a game and a job. Not being focused was foreseeable (in fact I predicted it). And while it is not an excuse, it is human.

How many of us would have been at work mentally had we been in the same situation?

BlackMetalNinja
02-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Sorry. :sadwalk:

One other note: in the last ten games the Sabres have 11 points, Montreal 6, Carolina 10, Pittsburgh 10 and the Rangers 6. All teams the Sabres are losing ground to.

And a final comment on Sunday. While I will not, and can not, defend their play let's be honest - human emotion is a factor. They came out flying Friday night and were able to pull off a win in thrilling fashion. After being to able to think all that went on, including having a number of players and the head coach living less than miles from the crash site, they came out flat. There is not doubt they played a bad game, but at the end of the day it is a game and a job. Not being focused was foreseeable (in fact I predicted it). And while it is not an excuse, it is human.

How many of us would have been at work mentally had we been in the same situation?Having probably seen a lot more of Carolina than anybody else on this board, I can safely say they just hit a hot streak at the end of January. Other than the game against us, which was much more us sucking than them playing well, they've been awful again in the past few. Losing 5-0 to Florida, 5-1 to Columbus, and 5-1 to Boston, and all at home I might add. They are not at all a better team than Buffalo, you'll see that soon enough.

chernobylwraiths
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Op just likes to be surprised at something good happening. If he truly believes only bad things will happen, when something good happens he can be happy. For a couple minutes at least.

Op is like the Discotrish of the Bills/Sabres Zones.

JD
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I guess it's Lets Own OP day, holy **** :snicker:

BlackMetalNinja
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess it's Lets Own OP day, holy **** :snicker:Sad part is, even with all this evidence thrown at him, he won't acknowledge it and continues to ascertain that he's right no matter what.

OpIv37
02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

<table width="658" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"><td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/bruins/images/logos/small.png (http://bruins.nhl.com/)
Boston Bruins (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=BOS)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">NE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">40</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">10</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">8</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">88</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">197</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">131</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">19-4-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">21-6-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5-2-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/capitals/images/logos/small.png (http://capitals.nhl.com/)
Washington Capitals (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=WSH)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">SE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">57</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">36</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">77</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">191</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">163</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">22-4-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-12-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">6-2-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/devils/images/logos/small.png (http://devils.nhl.com/)
New Jersey Devils (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=NJD)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">37</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">18</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">77</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">179</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">145</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">19-10-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">18-8-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">7-3-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/images/logos/small.png (http://flyers.nhl.com/)
Philadelphia Flyers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=PHI)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">55</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">9</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">69</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">179</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">161</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16-7-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-9-6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">6-4-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/canadiens/images/logos/small.png (http://canadiens.nhl.com/)
Montr&#233;al Canadiens (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=MTL)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">NE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">57</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">21</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">172</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">172</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">17-6-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">13-15-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">3-7-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/panthers/images/logos/small.png (http://panthers.nhl.com/)
Florida Panthers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=FLA)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">SE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">57</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">29</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">20</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">8</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">164</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">155</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16-7-5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">13-13-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">7-3-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">7</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/sabres/images/logos/small.png (http://sabres.nhl.com/)
Buffalo Sabres (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=BUF)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">NE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">22</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">172</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">160</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">16-11-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-11-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5-4-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Won 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">8</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/images/logos/small.png (http://www.newyorkrangers.com/)
New York Rangers (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=NYR)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">30</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">22</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">66</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">144</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">162</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">17-9-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">13-13-3</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">2-6-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td colspan="14" height="3">
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">9</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/hurricanes/images/logos/small.png (http://hurricanes.nhl.com/)
Carolina Hurricanes (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=CAR)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">SE</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">28</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">25</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">5</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">61</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">147</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">171</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-13-1</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">14-12-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">5-5-0</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">10</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="tmNm lft"> http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/logos/small.png (http://penguins.nhl.com/)
Pittsburgh Penguins (http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?season=20082009&tm=PIT)
</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">ATL</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">58</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">27</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">25</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">6</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght sorted">60</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">173</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">178</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">15-12-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox rght">12-13-4</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="statBox cntr">4-4-2</td> <td style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px;" class="statBox cntr">Lost 2</td></tr></tbody></table>

First of all, we're 5 points up on Carolina, who is in the 9th spot, and we're tied with 3 other teams for 5th, though Florida and Montreal have a game in hand.

As for your dwelling on this Carolina game Op, it's silly at best. We all admitted they played horribly and it was a crappy loss, but it's not nearly as backbreaking as you'd like to make it. As for your 4 point swing... ok, at worst that counteracts the "4 point swing" that occurred when we beat them. On top of that, we still play them 2 more times, so it's not exactly like that one game some how counts more than the rest.

Regardless of anything else posted in this thread, the bottom line is that we have 24 games left and each of them is going to be progressively more important than the one you can't seem to get past from Sunday.

The only amusing thing about this is how you and Lecter are taking such a myopic view. First, this is NOT the first time this year that I've criticized the team. You guys act like I was a braindead homer who suddenly went south after this loss. That's not the case at all.

Second, I mentioned how the team has played SINCE VANEK GOT INJURED- it wasn't JUST the Carolina game.

Third, I don't think you people understand the impact of that game. Look how tight the East is. That was a 4 point swing against the team that was IMMEDIATELY behind us in the standings. We **** the bed and lost 3-0 at home. Do you have any ability to comprehend how bad that is? It shows a team that not only lacks talent but is completely unmotivated and does not understand their position in the playoff race.

The bottom line is that this is an inconsistent team missing it's best player and giving away points to other teams that are right with them in the playoff race.

OpIv37
02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Sad part is, even with all this evidence thrown at him, he won't acknowledge it and continues to ascertain that he's right no matter what.

I'm wrong that we lost 3-0 AT HOME to the team that was immediately behind us in the playoff race (at the time) and essentially surrendered 4 points to them? I'm wrong that this team played poorly TWICE against Ottawa, managed one good period against San Jose and never even showed up against Carolina (all since the Vanek injury)? I'm wrong that the East race is extremely tight and every point counts, especially those against teams right behind us?

What ****ing planet do you live on? Sure, I had a detail or two wrong with the points, but the general premise is very, very true. It's sad that so few of you are willing to face it.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
But your premise is based on one game that we all admit was terrible. It also ignored the play of Montreal and the Rangers, who are playing worse than the Vanekless Sabres. And ignored that Vanek will be returning this season, along with Gaustad and Tallinder.

You took one small bit of information, ignored a number of others, and came to a conclusion.

Especially the part about Montreal and the Rangers. If all three teams keep at the same pace, the Sabres will pass both teams!

OpIv37
02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
But your premise is based on one game that we all admit was terrible. It also ignored the play of Montreal and the Rangers, who are playing worse than the Vanekless Sabres. And ignored that Vanek will be returning this season, along with Gaustad and Tallinder.

You took one small bit of information, ignored a number of others, and came to a conclusion.

Especially the part about Montreal and the Rangers. If all three teams keep at the same pace, the Sabres will pass both teams!

You assume I took one small bit of information. The fact is that this team is playing like crap and they gave up points to the team right on their tails. Their star player is injured and it shows. I didn't think they were making the playoffs before, and I certainly don't think they're making the playoffs now with Vanek out and the way they laid down and played dead in that game.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
You assume I took one small bit of information. The fact is that this team is playing like crap and they gave up points to the team right on their tails. Their star player is injured and it shows. I didn't think they were making the playoffs before, and I certainly don't think they're making the playoffs now with Vanek out and the way they laid down and played dead in that game.

So they are going to blow a 5 point lead on Carolina, who also is not playing well, even though said star player will be back.

It was one game out of 82. A game that came right after a number of them were within a mile or so of a death trap. And, one of the teams they are now tied with, just essentially suspended their best player.

Do you think the Rangers and Montreal are suddenly going to turn it around?

You do know that they are now in a tie for 5th in the East and are 5 up on the Hurricanes?

One bad game does not ruin a season. And before you rattle off the Senator games be aware they are on a 5 game streak and are actually playing well. I doubt any of these teams in the playoff fight will go undefeated against all of the rest of the teams.

Hell, can you at least wait until the rematch with Carolina?

OpIv37
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
So they are going to blow a 5 point lead on Carolina, who also is not playing well, even though said star player will be back.

It was one game out of 82. A game that came right after a number of them were within a mile or so of a death trap. And, one of the teams they are now tied with, just essentially suspended their best player.

Do you think the Rangers and Montreal are suddenly going to turn it around?

You do know that they are now in a tie for 5th in the East and are 5 up on the Hurricanes?

One bad game does not ruin a season. And before you rattle off the Senator games be aware they are on a 5 game streak and are actually playing well. I doubt any of these teams in the playoff fight will go undefeated against all of the rest of the teams.

Hell, can you at least wait until the rematch with Carolina?

Montreal played extremely well early this season and I don't doubt that they can turn it around. Again, why is it that you think the Sabres can turn it around but Montreal can't? I honestly haven't paid enough attention to know about the Rangers, but I do know that the Sabres played dead with 4 points on the line. Pathetic.

They're 5 up on the Hurricanes and tied for 5th? They could be 9 up on the Hurricanes and in 4th. Every point matters.

The Senators played well for 5 games? So what? On the whole they're still very beatable. They're a one line team and I'm so sick of that line making a career out of playing the Sabres.

RockStar36
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Montreal played extremely well early this season and I don't doubt that they can turn it around. Again, why is it that you think the Sabres can turn it around but Montreal can't? I honestly haven't paid enough attention to know about the Rangers, but I do know that the Sabres played dead with 4 points on the line. Pathetic.

They're 5 up on the Hurricanes and tied for 5th? They could be 9 up on the Hurricanes and in 4th. Every point matters.

The Senators played well for 5 games? So what? On the whole they're still very beatable. They're a one line team and I'm so sick of that line making a career out of playing the Sabres.

Wow. You are taking ignorance to a whole new level. You don't even watch Sabres games let alone Canadiens games, so what makes you the expert?

The Canadiens just sent home their best player because he isn't getting the job done. Not benched, sent home. Have you ever seen that? They are in a tailspin worse than you can imagine.

Nighthawk
02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
OP is going too much to the extreme on the negative side and you others are going too much to the homer extreme. This team is somewhere in the middle and that isn't good enough to win a Cup. Don't know about most of you, but that is the only thing that matters to me. This team NEEDS to make some moves at the deadline to compete with the top teams in the conference in a 7 games series in the playoffs. If they don't, I'm pretty worried this teams inconsistent play and uninspired play (at times) will kill them if they get to the playoffs. This FO should be thinking about what they need to win this conference and get to the cup. Any other way of thinking is a loser mentality and just does not make any sense to me.

OpIv37
02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow. You are taking ignorance to a whole new level. You don't even watch Sabres games let alone Canadiens games, so what makes you the expert?

The Canadiens just sent home their best player because he isn't getting the job done. Not benched, sent home. Have you ever seen that? They are in a tailspin worse than you can imagine.

FYI, I do watch the Sabres games. I've found a link to watch them on the computer. I don't get to watch every single game, but I probably watched at least 40 games so far this season.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
OP is going too much to the extreme on the negative side and you others are going too much to the homer extreme. This team is somewhere in the middle and that isn't good enough to win a Cup. Don't know about most of you, but that is the only thing that matters to me. This team NEEDS to make some moves at the deadline to compete with the top teams in the conference in a 7 games series in the playoffs. If they don't, I'm pretty worried this teams inconsistent play and uninspired play (at times) will kill them if they get to the playoffs. This FO should be thinking about what they need to win this conference and get to the cup. Any other way of thinking is a loser mentality and just does not make any sense to me.

I am not sure that there are moves out there this year to make them a legit cup contender. They need guys like Butler, Weber, Myers, Gerbe and Kennedy to come along. I honestly think trying to load up this year is pennywise and dollar foolish.

For once I agree with Bucky Gleason's premise - in two-three years this team will be very dangerous.

And I don't think balancing the needs now with the future is a loser mentality - especially if the needs for now are not obtainable by reasonable methods.

I am also not saying they are golden right now, nor are they a lock. But they are clearly playing better than the Rangers or Montreal. Even without Vanek.

Nighthawk
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I am not sure that there are moves out there this year to make them a legit cup contender. They need guys like Butler, Weber, Myers, Gerbe and Kennedy to come along. I honestly think trying to load up this year is pennywise and dollar foolish.

For once I agree with Bucky Gleason's premise - in two-three years this team will be very dangerous.

And I don't think balancing the needs now with the future is a loser mentality - especially if the needs for now are not obtainable by reasonable methods.

I am also not saying they are golden right now, nor are they a lock. But they are clearly playing better than the Rangers or Montreal. Even without Vanek.

This isn't a knock at you or Bucky Gleason for that matter, but that mentality will NEVER win a cup. We've had that mentality here in Buffalo every since I can remember...it's never got us a cup. At some point, you HAVE to go out and get the pieces to make your team a champion and not just hope that some players we drafted will turn into the players we all hope they will.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM

I did not say the Sabres will turn it around and Montreal won't. I said, if both teams stay on their current pace, the Sabres will pass Montreal very soon. And, since Vanek is coming back and Montreal just gave Kovalev a two game (or more) vacation, I would say that the Sabres do have a better chance, but that is besides my point.

And yes, every point matters. Even the 4 out of the last 6 the Sabres earned. If they earn 4 out of 6 the rest of the year, they are set. And all three of those games - no Thomas Vanek.

And once again, we all know they played horrible in that game. Nobody has said otherwise. I do think there were other factors, but excuses are not needed.

Dr. Lecter
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
This isn't a knock at you or Bucky Gleason for that matter, but that mentality will NEVER win a cup. We've had that mentality here in Buffalo every since I can remember...it's never got us a cup. At some point, you HAVE to go out and get the pieces to make your team a champion and not just hope that some players we drafted will turn into the players we all hope they will.

I would agree with you, if they were closer.

I just don't see the players they need out there to make the move this year.

Next year or the year after - sure. Sacrifice the future. But when they would need to pick up 2-3 players, including some big salaries, at the expense of the entire future when there is still only a very small chance of winning it all it is not worth it.

Nighthawk
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I would agree with you, if they were closer.

I just don't see the players they need out there to make the move this year.

Next year or the year after - sure. Sacrifice the future. But when they would need to pick up 2-3 players, including some big salaries, at the expense of the entire future when there is still only a very small chance of winning it all it is not worth it.

Are you guys not the people who keep telling me that all they need to do is get in the playoffs and anything could happen? I believe if the right deal was out there then this FO should make it. Who's to say that with the right player(s) acquisition that it wouldn't turn this team into a contender this year? You don't know it won't and I don't know it will. However, I know that just hoping your team will be good in a few years doesn't work. I've been there, done that for the last...umm....20 or so years!

OpIv37
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
How does everyone feel about this thread now? If we could have beat Carolina the first time, the most recent loss (with Miller injured) wouldn't have stung so bad.

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
How does everyone feel about this thread now? If we could have beat Carolina the first time, the most recent loss (with Miller injured) wouldn't have stung so bad.

I still think this organization sucks and just doesn't get it, but maybe they'll surprise me on Wednesday or before.

chernobylwraiths
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I still think this organization sucks and just doesn't get it, but maybe they'll surprise me on Wednesday or before.

Well, just when we think they REALLY suck, they seem to come up with some of their best games. Let's hope they can string some together. And let's hope Ryan's ankle heals real fast.

Nighthawk
03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, just when we think they REALLY suck, they seem to come up with some of their best games. Let's hope they can string some together. And let's hope Ryan's ankle heals real fast.

I know, but being a fan in Buffalo is starting to take it's toll. Can two organizations in one city possibly be any worse then these two???

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I know, but being a fan in Buffalo is starting to take it's toll. Can two organizations in one city possibly be any worse then these two???
I hear you. I won't give up but I hear you.

Its like both organizations don't care. It makes no sense.

RockStar36
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I hear you. I won't give up but I hear you.

Its like both organizations don't care. It makes no sense.

You're joking right?

I get the Bills, but the Sabres still try and still care. The Bills just care about draining your wallet.

Nighthawk
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
You're joking right?

I get the Bills, but the Sabres still try and still care. The Bills just care about draining your wallet.

Honestly, how is sticking with players that have proven not to be good enough, trying? I don't see any efforts to improve this team...I'm not saying they don't spend money, but they refuse to get rid of some of the dead weight on this team.

rbochan
03-03-2009, 01:23 PM
...but the Sabres still try and still care...

Have you seen a game recently??

RockStar36
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Honestly, how is sticking with players that have proven not to be good enough, trying? I don't see any efforts to improve this team...I'm not saying they don't spend money, but they refuse to get rid of some of the dead weight on this team.

How do you know they don't try to get rid of the dead weight? It's not as simple as saying "Let's trade Max" and having it be done. They need another team to trade with in circumstances like that.

I think there is a lot that goes on that we don't know about. It's not fantasy hockey and it isn't a video game.

RockStar36
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Have you seen a game recently??

Yeah, I watch every single game.

They have been bad in the last few games. That doesn't neccesarily mean they aren't trying and don't care. Teams go through bad stretches.

Call me when they miss the playoffs for an entire decade.

OpIv37
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I think there is a lot that goes on that we don't know about. It's not fantasy hockey and it isn't a video game.

Yet, other teams make improvements and try to get better. The Red Wings won the damn Cup last year and still got Hossa. A year and a half ago, the Caps were a ****ing joke. Now, they're leading their division.

The point is that other teams figure out how to improve while the Sabres remain mired in mediocrity. Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, the Sabres' FO is still responsible for making this team better and they have yet to do that.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Red Wings and Caps have superstar talent that they drafted and kept.

Ebenezer
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Yet, other teams make improvements and try to get better. The Red Wings won the damn Cup last year and still got Hossa. A year and a half ago, the Caps were a ****ing joke. Now, they're leading their division.

The point is that other teams figure out how to improve while the Sabres remain mired in mediocrity. Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, the Sabres' FO is still responsible for making this team better and they have yet to do that.
and you need two to tango...if the Sabres had overpaid for a player you would have been the first to *****...

...if the Sabres suck as bad as you think who could they have traded and gotten value?? I know...I know...you don't know it is just FO's responsibility to do it and your job to ***** about it....

chernobylwraiths
03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I think we should just shoot Op.

Who's with me?!

Nighthawk
03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I think we should just shoot Op.

Who's with me?!

I can't do that...he knows what he's talking about...it's nice to read his stuff.

chernobylwraiths
03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
He's bad luck.

Nighthawk
03-20-2009, 09:31 PM
He's bad luck.

Something's bad luck and if the City of Buffalo is ever going to win anything, somebody better find out what it is!

chernobylwraiths
03-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Something's bad luck and if the City of Buffalo is ever going to win anything, somebody better find out what it is!

I'd start with Op.

chernobylwraiths
04-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm glad I didn't get in this bet.