PDA

View Full Version : Bills resign Jenkins.

patmoran2006
02-17-2009, 11:53 AM
on purpose too.

DraftBoy
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
One of our top ST guys. Not a bad signing...need a link though.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I got the V-text.

patmoran2006
02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
im waiting for a new offseason mock/draft/trade/FA thread from Mitchell 59 based on this move.

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
im waiting for a new offseason mock/draft/trade/FA thread from Mitchell 59 based on this move.

I'm waiting for a new "Ralph sucks and is cheap" thread from you based on this move.

DraftBoy
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM

You really shouldnt be the first one to cast a stone in this regard.

Lone Stranger
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Sensational! Incredible! What a coup by our front office to land this guy.

more cowbell
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM

lol

Nighthawk
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Yippee...

yordad
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Not bad production for a 6th WR. It isn't like he was expensive. And, if the Bills add an offensive game changer, he can still be cut.

Kind of a no brainer.

bigbub2352
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
how do u re-sign a player with no catches and couldnt get on the feild even after injuries to reed and hardy
Seriously a multi year deal too.
THen i will here well the STs and i remember that was the media brainwash about this guy last year
Iwatched every game in detail like most on here,
News Flash
He did nothing at all but i am sure the stats will say he had like 15-20 ST plays
this signing shows u exactly what we all feared medicracy will continue under this front office and the coaching staff
lame lame lame

yordad
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
how do u re-sign a player with no catches and couldnt get on the feild even after injuries to reed and hardy
THen i will here well the STs and i remember that was the media brainwash about this guy last year
News Flash
He did nothing at all but i am sure the stats will say he had like 15-20 ST plays
this signing shows u exactly what we all feared medicracy will continue under this front office and the coaching staff
lame lame lameHow many teams have a dominate #6?

madness
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
The Bills got to work on their own free agents Tuesday re-signing receiver and special teams stalwart Justin Jenkins. The third-year player was a restricted free agent.
Buffalo could have presented Jenkins with a one-year qualifying tender, but instead made a multi-year offer that was accepted. By not involving a qualifying tender no other NFL team can bid on Jenkins services by way of an offer sheet.
Jenkins has been a staple on Buffalo’s vaunted special teams units the past two seasons and was instrumental in helping the Bills reclaim the top ranking in the league for special teams units as Buffalo finished first overall in 2008.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-re-sign-wr-jenkins/b98e62f1-6218-4795-9113-503f51d7a7ea

Griz78
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Who cares? He is good on Special Teams, if he makes the team, good, if not, really no loss.

We still may add a vet WR on a one year deal. I have a feeling Hardy starts on PUP so we will have his spot.

BillsWin
02-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Got the text.

bigbub2352
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
How many teams have a dominate #6?

Why bring back a number 6 with a multi year deal then?
seriously when are the fans gonna realize this team is doing nothing to get better, how about dont resign him
wait till FA and get a real number 2 and let the rookie like Steve Johnson and maybe a draft pick from this draft class 09 to compete, why keep 6 WRs on the roster at all?
this signing is a sign for things to come
let me guess u want Slow ass George Wilson back too cause he made a play on STs
just sayin we need to change the personnel in here at the skill positions
we have suffered long enough with STeamers as our depth guys
then we suffer during the season after our usual rash of injurys happen to our DJ coached teams
he had no catches and couldnt get him on the feild with reed out and then when hardy went out
this is a guy who was also cut by 2-3 teams already yet they always find a home here on STs
give me a break
get some potential in here, some playmakers in here that can help the offense not a slow WR who is good in the preseason ala AIKEN

DBrown77
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
News Flash
lame lame lame

Special teams player, take it easy. He is a good gunner

bigbub2352
02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Special teams player, take it easy. He is a good gunner
i know what he is, and he sucks at that too
he is sam aiken's brother i understand his role, go get someone else who can catch 1 ball in a regular season game

Pinkerton Security
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
i know what he is, and he sucks at that too
he is sam aiken's brother i understand his role, go get someone else who can catch 1 ball in a regular season game
wow. such dazzling brilliance.

bigbub2352
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
wow. such dazzling brilliance.
wow such dazzling brilliance
7-9 every year and no playoffs is so cool i am glad you luv it so much

jimbohastle51
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
good special teams guy and we do need to keep him, wendling and the core of our teams unit together so good signing!

yordad
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
wow such dazzling brilliance
7-9 every year and no playoffs is so cool i am glad you luv it so muchBub, do you really think there is a better way for your 6th WR, and 53rd guy on the roster to contribute? Do you really blame him for the playoff drought?

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Multi-year deals for a restricted guy like Jenkins sometimes comes at a cost that is lower than the tender offer they would have made.

So if it is a or 3 deal near the league minumum, with a small bonus, the Bills might actually be saving money. They can also put bonuses in the deal that give them more cap room next year.

And the deals are cheap enough that they can cut the guy pretty easily if they want to. Remember that Hardy likely will not be ready in September.

bigbub2352
02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Bub, do you really think there is a better way for your 6th WR, and 53rd guy on the roster to contribute? Do you really blame him for the playoff drought?
No i dont.

i think it is the mediocre signings and sacrifice for depth to have career STs players on our roster that hurt us when we have injuries to the starters
it has happened the last 3 years, Jenkins is a bum and has no value on this team that couldnt be taken by someone in the draft like Steve Johnson did in the 7th round

We should be signing players that make the team better not hold the fort down on special teams, how come other teams have 4 effective Wrs in there passing game and can bring guys in off the bench to make a play or 2 a game

he has no value on offense what so ever and he can and should be replaced by a draft pick
there are teams that draft WRs every single year not re-sign camp fodder and sell them as good depth guys he didnt even have a catch
it wouldnt be the Bills if the move wasnt a cheap one as Dr Lector pointed out i am sure the multi yr deal was cheaper that is how we do things
I am not blaming him for us sucking i am blaming the same old moves and same old signings as the reason we have been boring and playoff absent
moves just like this one i guess is my point

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
At this time, there is nobody better they can sign though.

FA has not even started. There is no reason to be upset at this signing. None.

Pinkerton Security
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
No i dont.

i think it is the mediocre signings and sacrifice for depth to have career STs players on our roster that hurt us when we have injuries to the starters
it has happened the last 3 years, Jenkins is a bum and has no value on this team that couldnt be taken by someone in the draft like Steve Johnson did in the 7th round

We should be signing players that make the team better not hold the fort down on special teams, how come other teams have 4 effective Wrs in there passing game and can bring guys in off the bench to make a play or 2 a game

he has no value on offense what so ever and he can and should be replaced by a draft pick
there are teams that draft WRs every single year not re-sign camp fodder and sell them as good depth guys he didnt even have a catch
it wouldnt be the Bills if the move wasnt a cheap one as Dr Lector pointed out i am sure the multi yr deal was cheaper that is how we do things
I am not blaming him for us sucking i am blaming the same old moves and same old signings as the reason we have been boring and playoff absent
moves just like this one i guess is my point

believe it or not every team in the NFL signs guys that are contributors solely to special teams, not just the Bills.

your response to this is the equivalent of shooting your wife for burning your toast at breakfast.

Michael82
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Good move. He's a damn good Special Teamer and one of my players in GLB. :D

Dr. Lecter
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
believe it or not every team in the NFL signs guys that are contributors solely to special teams, not just the Bills.

your response to this is the equivalent of shooting your wife for burning your toast at breakfast.

Or chopping her head off, as people from OP tend to do.

bigbub2352
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM

your lack of arguement is just as weak
believe it or not those other teams makes the playoffs we dont

HHURRICANE
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
News Flash
lame lame lame

Yep!!

PECKERWOOD
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
They flashed this news on ESPN like it was breaking news, only in Buffalo is this considered a big move, really.

I'm indifferent to this move.

casdhf
02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
The 6th WR isn't going to see action much action on offense ... how many 6 WR sets do you run? You keep this guy to be the gunner and play on kicks ... he'll be on the field 10 plays a game, right?

Lets get a WR with unlimited potential, who can't play special teams at all, so we can get production from him on 2 offensive plays a game. Yeah, great.

casdhf
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
oh yeah ... the unlimited potential guy has to be willing to not play often or at all, since he is, you know, the 6th WR.

PECKERWOOD
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
oh yeah ... the unlimited potential guy has to be willing to not play often or at all, since he is, you know, the 6th WR.

I see what you're saying but our WR corps is neither hot nor cold, therefore I spit them out of my mouth.

Nighthawk
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
At this time, there is nobody better they can sign though.

FA has not even started. There is no reason to be upset at this signing. None.

Very true...but I've got a question...why the hell hasn't Royal been cut yet???

mysticsoto
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM

You want an argument? How about this? A 6th WR never sees the field except on STs. Considering the Bills had the #1 STs in the NFL, I'd say keeping those that contribute to it being #1 is a good idea.

Concern about mediocrity is fine. But don't heap the blame on someone who contributed in the area he is supposed to be contributing in!!!

clumping platelets
02-18-2009, 02:14 AM
This is a good re-signing

2009 $535,000
2010 $650,000

Likely rec'd modest roster bonus(es)

Night Train
02-18-2009, 02:44 AM
This is a good re-signing

2009 $535,000
2010 $650,000

Likely rec'd modest roster bonus(es)

It also means it will be easy to cut him in August.

Pinkerton Security
02-18-2009, 09:12 AM

soooooo i said that other teams also bring in ST players, even the good ones.

your rebuttal is that those other teams make the playoffs...

thanks for making my point. playoff teams need minor role players too.

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
soooooo i said that other teams also bring in ST players, even the good ones.

your rebuttal is that those other teams make the playoffs...

thanks for making my point. playoff teams need minor role players too.
wow u just dont get the point at all do u?
Seriously we havent made the playoffs in 10 yrs and u homer fans love to stick up for career special teams players that cant contrbute at all at there position
so when our starters go down we sign players like Leon Joe cause the current guys on the roster are only special teams guys, meaning that we are not developing players properly hence the reason no playoffs in 10 yrs
Seriously who cares we are the number 1 special teams in the league when u cant win a game in your own division, you dont have a clear cut number 2 WR let alone any WR with playmaking ability outside of Evans
I am not blaming Jenkins for our demise, i am blaming medicore safe signings that keep the same problem we have had here for 10 years
We sacrfice roster spots and the chance to devlelop a player who maybe be the 6th-5th WR on the team into a number 3, because the guy sucks at his position and can play only STs hence when Reed went down and we started to see Steve Johnson news flash that is what other teams do, they go out and draft a WR every year and hope to develop him instead of keeping a bum on the roster who made 7 ST tackles in 16 games wow that helps and mind you he has been in the league since 2004 and cut by 2-3 other teams
i will scarfice the number 1 spot on STs any day for some ****ing playoff games hell i will take a winning season
this arguement also applys to
Blake Costanzo
Jon Corto
george Wilson
etc
guys that cant play there position but only help on STs
we need to develop talent more than ever on the roster with no NFLE or Arena league hell we couldnt even keep a full practice squad last year under this coaching staff
Again all u will read out of this is he is a great STs guy and he is the 6th WR, so why so mad about it,
Cause he has contributed to nothing but losing here 0-6 in division but i am sure glad we can run dow nthe feild and make a tackle in half the games he played while providing nothing at his true position
We took a flyer on Steve Johnson and look what happened, we can do better then these bums that make our roster it all starts with management and making the consistent wrong moves over and over again
when is the last time we truly developed a WR?
steve johnson is a work in progress so who would be next?
exactly

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
You want an argument? How about this? A 6th WR never sees the field except on STs. Considering the Bills had the #1 STs in the NFL, I'd say keeping those that contribute to it being #1 is a good idea.

Concern about mediocrity is fine. But don't heap the blame on someone who contributed in the area he is supposed to be contributing in!!!

Man read what i am typing its not that hard
its not about jenkins it about the management of this team
We keep signing guys like this instead of developing talent at our skill positions
Everyone puts so much stock into STs and yet we lose ever year and we were 0-6 in the division
Jenkins couldnt get on the feild when players were going down at his position
they had so much faith in him that we carried 6 wr on the active roster and 3 on the practice squad seriously that is not smart
especially when we were super thin at Oline and Dline due to injuries last year
My ranting and raving is not about jenkins it is about the moves this stupid staff does every year, they are not trying to get better they are trying to maintain
big differance
u can have the 1 STs in the league
i will take top 15 offense and top 15 deffense with real depth, playmakers and some playoff games
what has a top special teams done for us in the last 5 yrs?
exactly

mysticsoto
02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Man read what i am typing its not that hard
its not about jenkins it about the management of this team
We keep signing guys like this instead of developing talent at our skill positions
Everyone puts so much stock into STs and yet we lose ever year and we were 0-6 in the division
Jenkins couldnt get on the feild when players were going down at his position
they had so much faith in him that we carried 6 wr on the active roster and 3 on the practice squad seriously that is not smart
especially when we were super thin at Oline and Dline due to injuries last year
My ranting and raving is not about jenkins it is about the moves this stupid staff does every year, they are not trying to get better they are trying to maintain
big differance
u can have the 1 STs in the league
i will take top 15 offense and top 15 deffense with real depth, playmakers and some playoff games
what has a top special teams done for us in the last 5 yrs?
exactly

I understand your concern - it's just not well placed, or perhaps not well stated. This thread is about the resigning of Jenkins, not the ineptitude of the FO. The signing of Jenkins is a good signing b'cse a) a 6th WR will generally be needed to play STs and Jenkins has done fairly well there b) he was extremely cheap as you'd want for the position and c) it helps keep continuity in the STs group which excelled and will hopefully continue to excel next year under Bobby April.

That being said, your concern about #2 WR is well deserved. We have not had someone to fill the role adequately and it has hurt us and this offense. But that has nothing to do w/Jenkins or his signing.

If you want to ***** about the FO not having a viable #2 last year, you should do so in a different thread dedicated to that. You would be right, though I'll place an asterisk on that note in that I'm glad we did not overpay during FA last year - as the candidates weren't worth it. Everyone hoped Hardy would adapt quickly and he didn't. I have high hopes on Steve Johnson, but who knows, he could be a dud also...so any expressed concerns in this area are certainly legitimate. Once again...they have nothing to do with Jenkins signing though which is a good one...

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
What sucks about our team is that we sometimes bring in WAY too many "role" players. Ok, Jenkins is a good ST player, same with Roscoe. Neither of them are really good WRs, it kind of puts us in a little bind. Evans is pretty much our only good WR, the rest are average at best. Sure Reed has a role on this team but I'm not sold on Hardy or Johnson making an impact either.

DraftBoy
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
What sucks about our team is that we sometimes bring in WAY too many "role" players. Ok, Jenkins is a good ST player, same with Roscoe. Neither of them are really good WRs, it kind of puts us in a little bind. Evans is pretty much our only good WR, the rest are average at best. Sure Reed has a role on this team but I'm not sold on Hardy or Johnson making an impact either.

Id have no issue dumping Roscoe for a better WR, but Jenkins makes perfect sense for all the reasons Mystic listed.

mysticsoto
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Id have no issue dumping Roscoe for a better WR, but Jenkins makes perfect sense for all the reasons Mystic listed.

Isn't Roscoe the #1 punt returner in the NFL right now?

I think he should stay also...our WR corps is hurting severely b'cse we have no real #2. Not b'cse of anything else. Reed (and Parrish occasionally) playing the slot are fine.

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't dump Roscoe for nothing, he has better value than Dante Hall commanded (a 4th round pick). I would be shopping Roscoe around for sure, he is a potential game breaker on STs but the bottom line is we are lacking consistent playmakers who actually play the position of WR and not STs.

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM

I think he should stay also...our WR corps is hurting severely b'cse we have no real #2. Not b'cse of anything else. Reed (and Parrish occasionally) playing the slot are fine.

I think punt returners and kick returners are replaceable, every year almost there is a new guy who rises up as a STs star. If we could trade Roscoe for a late 2nd - early 3rd round pick I would be all over it. Besides, I would say that McKelvin looked better as a punt returner than Roscoe did last year.

DraftBoy
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM

6th overall average wise, tops for guys over 10 returns. Fred Jackson did avg 1.3 yard more per return than Roscoe but had far less returns. However Roscoe offers virtually nothing as a WR and when you take up 2 of your 6 WR spots with ST'ers you're going to run into issues.

madness
02-18-2009, 12:39 PM
6th overall average wise, tops for guys over 10 returns. Fred Jackson did avg 1.3 yard more per return than Roscoe but had far less returns. However Roscoe offers virtually nothing as a WR and when you take up 2 of your 6 WR spots with ST'ers you're going to run into issues.

#1 all-time career wise! (avg.)

Too bad he's a solid #4... on a good day.

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Jenkins is a bum,
that being said get a developmental draft pick in here to take his place he can run a staright line down the feild just as good as jenkins can
probably faster cause Jenkins is TOO SLOW to play WR in the NFL i guess the other teams that cut him already saw that
But your right we sure do need our number 6th guy to be a STer why did we keep 6 WRs in the first place while we had horrible depth at both Lines?
why did we have 3 wrs on the practice squad?
u can argue all u want about ur STers but we lose everyear dont u think it should be about adding new talent then the same old crap?
What is so great about being 1 in special teams anyway?
its about winning not maintaining
all we do is keep these bums around and it has consistenly hurt our depth when our fragile team puts 10-15 guys on IR every year
plus with no arena league and no NFLE were are u developing prospects?
Jenkins isnt a prospect anymore he is a AIken clone
and as his tenure came to a close here what exactly did we benefit form keeping him on the roster ?
oh yeah no playoffs teams with terrible depth and oh yeah nop playoffs and oh yeah no playoffs so whats wrong with this picture,
maybe we should put alittle more concern into out O and D not so much on the STs

Pinkerton Security
02-18-2009, 12:42 PM
wow u just dont get the point at all do u?
Seriously we havent made the playoffs in 10 yrs and u homer fans love to stick up for career special teams players that cant contrbute at all at there position
so when our starters go down we sign players like Leon Joe cause the current guys on the roster are only special teams guys, meaning that we are not developing players properly hence the reason no playoffs in 10 yrs
Seriously who cares we are the number 1 special teams in the league when u cant win a game in your own division, you dont have a clear cut number 2 WR let alone any WR with playmaking ability outside of Evans
I am not blaming Jenkins for our demise, i am blaming medicore safe signings that keep the same problem we have had here for 10 years
We sacrfice roster spots and the chance to devlelop a player who maybe be the 6th-5th WR on the team into a number 3, because the guy sucks at his position and can play only STs hence when Reed went down and we started to see Steve Johnson news flash that is what other teams do, they go out and draft a WR every year and hope to develop him instead of keeping a bum on the roster who made 7 ST tackles in 16 games wow that helps and mind you he has been in the league since 2004 and cut by 2-3 other teams
i will scarfice the number 1 spot on STs any day for some ****ing playoff games hell i will take a winning season
this arguement also applys to
Blake Costanzo
Jon Corto
george Wilson
etc
guys that cant play there position but only help on STs
we need to develop talent more than ever on the roster with no NFLE or Arena league hell we couldnt even keep a full practice squad last year under this coaching staff
Again all u will read out of this is he is a great STs guy and he is the 6th WR, so why so mad about it,
Cause he has contributed to nothing but losing here 0-6 in division but i am sure glad we can run dow nthe feild and make a tackle in half the games he played while providing nothing at his true position
We took a flyer on Steve Johnson and look what happened, we can do better then these bums that make our roster it all starts with management and making the consistent wrong moves over and over again
when is the last time we truly developed a WR?
steve johnson is a work in progress so who would be next?
exactly

the fact that you just wrote this ridiculously long post in the outrage of us signing a ST player to a minimal contract is just funny.

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
the fact that you just wrote this ridiculously long post in the outrage of us signing a ST player to a minimal contract is just funny.
Sorry i played the game along time maybe i just understand it a little better than you do?
sorry for that

DraftBoy
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry i played the game along time maybe i just understand it a little better than you do?
sorry for that

I really don't think you having played the game at all constitutes a better understanding.

Pinkerton Security
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
sorry for that

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH "along time"? what, did you play in juco or something??? big deal chief.

madness
02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Go look up some of his comments on past practice squad signings. Certain fans have a target for their despair... his is roster management. We could probably create a nice list just off this site.

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Im not gonna get into a pissing match with u people,
We need depth real depth not guys who cant play there position
We lose every year and every year i argue this same point
so i guess i am wrong and i apologize

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Go look up some of his comments on past practice squad signings.
teams that win championships develop depth, they dont sign ST players
i guess i most be way off on my opinion cause we do alot of winning around here
there are reasons these guys get cut form other teams and land here dont u think?
my comments on practice squad players is always about what the front office is thinking signing players when we have depth needs at other positions
hence carrying 9 wrs last year
Actually roster management is a HUGE thing dude wow seriously
that makes sense to you?

mysticsoto
02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Jenkins is a bum,
that being said get a developmental draft pick in here to take his place he can run a staright line down the feild just as good as jenkins can
probably faster cause Jenkins is TOO SLOW to play WR in the NFL i guess the other teams that cut him already saw that
But your right we sure do need our number 6th guy to be a STer why did we keep 6 WRs in the first place while we had horrible depth at both Lines?
why did we have 3 wrs on the practice squad?
u can argue all u want about ur STers but we lose everyear dont u think it should be about adding new talent then the same old crap?
What is so great about being 1 in special teams anyway?
its about winning not maintaining
all we do is keep these bums around and it has consistenly hurt our depth when our fragile team puts 10-15 guys on IR every year
plus with no arena league and no NFLE were are u developing prospects?
Jenkins isnt a prospect anymore he is a AIken clone
and as his tenure came to a close here what exactly did we benefit form keeping him on the roster ?
oh yeah no playoffs teams with terrible depth and oh yeah nop playoffs and oh yeah no playoffs so whats wrong with this picture,
maybe we should put alittle more concern into out O and D not so much on the STs

You don't seem to understand the concept of role players. A 6 WR is supposed to contribute on STs. I can see that you don't value STs much at all, and I'm not likely to change your mind on the issue. But STs are probably what kept us from being blown out in alot of games last year. With our inept offense, we almost always had great starting position. You may not think that's important...it is!

And you've complained about depth several times...if anything depth tends to be what we are best at. For the Oline, Preston came in and played better than Fowler I thought (yeah, they both suck, but Preston still seemed to outplay him). Chambers came in and wow'ed me, backing up Walkers' RT position while Walker moved over and did adequate replacing Peters. They both surprised me. The Oline depth played great.

On the Dline, McCargo is likely gone, Spencer Johnson underperformed and virtually all our DEs sucked. We had depth though...9 players on the roster for the Dline. If you mean we didn't have quality...well, no argument there. Stroud was the only quality player there. But since you are complaining about carrying 6 WRs, you must be talking about quantity not quality.

The simple reason we were carrying so much is b'cse the FO recognized that this was a weakness of ours and was hoping for somebody to step it up. Hardy didn't, Johnson took a few baby steps and will need to take more, but showed potential. Jenkins did his role in STs. The 3 on the PS were there just in case one of them could step it up. I fail to see why it was a bad idea for the FO to recognize a position we were lacking in, and hold extra players at that position in case one finally had a breakthrough. The FA last year for WRs had a very short list and if you remember, atleast 1 WR was WAY overpaid and didn't even perform anywhere close to the level he was paid during the year. I cannot blame the FO for not overpaying someone that wasn't worth it. About the best we can do is blame them for not having the foresight to grab a WR to develop the year before!!!

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
You don't seem to understand the concept of role players. A 6 WR is supposed to contribute on STs. I can see that you don't value STs much at all, and I'm not likely to change your mind on the issue. But STs are probably what kept us from being blown out in alot of games last year. With our inept offense, we almost always had great starting position. You may not think that's important...it is!

And you've complained about depth several times...if anything depth tends to be what we are best at. For the Oline, Preston came in and played better than Fowler I thought (yeah, they both suck, but Preston still seemed to outplay him). Chambers came in and wow'ed me, backing up Walkers' RT position while Walker moved over and did adequate replacing Peters. They both surprised me. The Oline depth played great.

On the Dline, McCargo is likely gone, Spencer Johnson underperformed and virtually all our DEs sucked. We had depth though...9 players on the roster for the Dline. If you mean we didn't have quality...well, no argument there. Stroud was the only quality player there. But since you are complaining about carrying 6 WRs, you must be talking about quantity not quality.

The simple reason we were carrying so much is b'cse the FO recognized that this was a weakness of ours and was hoping for somebody to step it up. Hardy didn't, Johnson took a few baby steps and will need to take more, but showed potential. Jenkins did his role in STs. The 3 on the PS were there just in case one of them could step it up. I fail to see why it was a bad idea for the FO to recognize a position we were lacking in, and hold extra players at that position in case one finally had a breakthrough. The FA last year for WRs had a very short list and if you remember, atleast 1 WR was WAY overpaid and didn't even perform anywhere close to the level he was paid during the year. I cannot blame the FO for not overpaying someone that wasn't worth it. About the best we can do is blame them for not having the foresight to grab a WR to develop the year before!!!
i will agree to disagree with you
Just want to win games like any other Bills fan
and with our great STs players we havent done that
Hell we couldnt even pull a division win
so not only does our number STs ranking worthless
the players we keep on the roster to play just STs instead of them being a developmental project are worthless as well
i will gladly shut my mouth and come on here and give you guys ur just do if we make the playoffs next year because of our STs players and ranking

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH "along time"? what, did you play in juco or something??? big deal chief.

and for the record i played a little better competition than juco and played after college as well semi pro

madness
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
teams that win championships develop depth, they dont sign ST players
i guess i most be way off on my opinion cause we do alot of winning around here
there are reasons these guys get cut form other teams and land here dont u think?
my comments on practice squad players is always about what the front office is thinking signing players when we have depth needs at other positions
hence carrying 9 wrs last year
Actually roster management is a HUGE thing dude wow seriously
that makes sense to you?

The Bills haven't been developing depth through the draft? The same reason teams cut other players and land here is why we cut players and they land on other teams.

As for the practice squad, you may need to reevaluate what you think a practice squad/scout team is. What it is not? A storage bin to stock depth for injuries.

mysticsoto
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
i will agree to disagree with you
Just want to win games like any other Bills fan
and with our great STs players we havent done that
Hell we couldnt even pull a division win
so not only does our number STs ranking worthless
the players we keep on the roster to play just STs instead of them being a developmental project are worthless as well
i will gladly shut my mouth and come on here and give you guys ur just do if we make the playoffs next year because of our STs players and ranking

I want to win games too...so does everyone here. But our problems lie more with the following:

- No viable #2 WR
- Poor TE play
- Inability for the largest Oline in the NFL to run block well - starting with the Center.
- Trent regressing midway through the season (sophomore slump ?)
- Extremely poor DE play
- Bad coaching decisions

I'd say the above carries alot more weight for our losses last season than any depth/role players for STs on our team.