PDA

View Full Version : Is this the off season Ralph Finally cuts loose?

highlandfire69
02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
If any of you remember me posting here about 2 years ago you will remember I am not a big fan of Ralph Wilson. But a couple weeks ago when he was inducted into the HOF I saw a man truly shocked and more importantly humbled. Ralph's issue has been MONEY, plain and simple. The question is, is this the off season he finally cuts loose the purse strings and splurges in the open market to get this team back in the playoffs?

I want to think yes. We all know his family doesn't want this team, he knows he has made a decision with Jauron that has further alienated the fan base. He must do SOMETHING to get us as fans back and get this team back to winning ways. This is THE off season to do it. I believe we are at 26 million in normal cap room with another 10 mill available due to LTBE and NLTBE bonus' not met (clump can you clarify?) NOW is the time to make a splash and a Huge one. but what will it take to finally get us back to the playoffs? Here is what I would do in my opinion...

I trade the 11th pick for Hanesworth or Peppers when they are franchised. IF peppers isn't franchised, I still make him the highest paid D player in the league to come here. Bottom line I don't feel there is anyone at 11 that is better value than either one of these, so I don't mind giving up picks to get immediate talent. We need a pass rush upgrade BADLY even if Schobel comes back 100%.

Upgrade Center. Jeff Saturday is out there as is a couple other vets I think. But Saturday would really help Trent out and the rest of this OL.

TE. I go after a quality TE. We need to give Trent that pass catching threat that needs to be his #1 target. Fans forget, the KGUN wasn't named after Jim Kelly, but after Keith McKellar.

WR. Time to quit screwing around with the midget patrol and rookies. NOW is the time to make the playoffs. Get a Good quality Veteran in here to take some real pressure off of Lee Evans.

OLB. We need an upgrade bad. We need someone that can truly take on a TE or rush the passer.

Safety. Get a Strong safety in here and let Whitner roam the field like Palamalu(sp).

Those are just ideas but you get the point. for many reasons that even Ralph himself can agree to, it is time to spend that cap money and spend big! This team needs a drastic influx of veteran talent so we can finally make it back to the post season.

FlyingDutchman
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
buddy, id also love it, but Julius Peppers will never be in a buffalo bills uniform. no point in teasing yourself

LtFinFan66
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
doubtful

ddaryl
02-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I say yes, and I've posted my reasons why in multiple threads, but since this thread is all about these reasons I will post them again...

1.) He kept Jauron despite the fact that the majority of Bills fans want to string him up...

2.) He himself said our demise last season was a talent problem, not a coaching problem..

3.) He sold us out to Toronto to bring in more money to help the franchise compete with the big market clubs.. how else do ya compete but go out and sign players that make a big difference

4.) We have made big signings in our past, and we have brokered rich deals for FA's and trades before and as recent as the Dockery pick up...

I believe we will have a much beter offseason in regards to high profile FA's this year. A couple of top FA's and few upgrades in depth and we will all be back on the Bills wagon in full season excitement after last years crap fest, and Ralph knows we were all let down majorily last year

I'm optomisitc this offseason.

AND ............... Haynesworth CANNOT BE FRANCHISED.....

X-Era
02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
If any of you remember me posting here about 2 years ago you will remember I am not a big fan of Ralph Wilson. But a couple weeks ago when he was inducted into the HOF I saw a man truly shocked and more importantly humbled. Ralph's issue has been MONEY, plain and simple. The question is, is this the off season he finally cuts loose the purse strings and splurges in the open market to get this team back in the playoffs?

I want to think yes. We all know his family doesn't want this team, he knows he has made a decision with Jauron that has further alienated the fan base. He must do SOMETHING to get us as fans back and get this team back to winning ways. This is THE off season to do it. I believe we are at 26 million in normal cap room with another 10 mill available due to LTBE and NLTBE bonus' not met (clump can you clarify?) NOW is the time to make a splash and a Huge one. but what will it take to finally get us back to the playoffs? Here is what I would do in my opinion...

I trade the 11th pick for Hanesworth or Peppers when they are franchised. IF peppers isn't franchised, I still make him the highest paid D player in the league to come here. Bottom line I don't feel there is anyone at 11 that is better value than either one of these, so I don't mind giving up picks to get immediate talent. We need a pass rush upgrade BADLY even if Schobel comes back 100%.

Upgrade Center. Jeff Saturday is out there as is a couple other vets I think. But Saturday would really help Trent out and the rest of this OL.

TE. I go after a quality TE. We need to give Trent that pass catching threat that needs to be his #1 target. Fans forget, the KGUN wasn't named after Jim Kelly, but after Keith McKellar.

WR. Time to quit screwing around with the midget patrol and rookies. NOW is the time to make the playoffs. Get a Good quality Veteran in here to take some real pressure off of Lee Evans.

OLB. We need an upgrade bad. We need someone that can truly take on a TE or rush the passer.

Safety. Get a Strong safety in here and let Whitner roam the field like Palamalu(sp).

Those are just ideas but you get the point. for many reasons that even Ralph himself can agree to, it is time to spend that cap money and spend big! This team needs a drastic influx of veteran talent so we can finally make it back to the post season.

The way the draft is lining up and the way that the top players in FA are getting franchised... If you want to get significantly better at DE or OLB, it makes alot of sense to go after a trade for a franchised player.

patmoran2006
02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I see them bringing back Crowell and spending good money on Jason Brown.

after that, I dunno. Peppers aint coming here, and I dont see Haynesworth here either.

justasportsfan
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I say yes, and I've posted my reasons why in multiple threads, but since this thread is all about these reasons I will post them again...

1.) He kept Jauron despite the fact that the majority of Bills fans want to string him up...

2.) He himself said our demise last season was a talent problem, not a coaching problem..

3.) He sold us out to Toronto to bring in more money to help the franchise compete with the big market clubs.. how else do ya compete but go out and sign players that make a big difference

4.) We have made big signings in our past, and we have brokered rich deals for FA's and trades before and as recent as the Dockery pick up...

I believe we will have a much beter offseason in regards to high profile FA's this year. A couple of top FA's and few upgrades in depth and we will all be back on the Bills wagon in full season excitement after last years crap fest, and Ralph knows we were all let down majorily last year

I'm optomisitc this offseason.I hope so. I'm cautiously optimistic but remember, we have competition for FA services and it looks to me that Ralph may have to make offers players can't refuse to come to this small market franchise. He will have to lay it all on the line to make players want to come to buffalo vs. teams like miami , Jets ,etc. Lets not forget Gonzo.

highlandfire69
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I forgot Hanesworth hit those clauses in his contract and cant' be franchised. Ok I still pay him ridiculous money to come here. If there is a franchised player or a player on another team worth trading for, NOW is the time to do it to upgrade this team.

I am just not excited about what is available with the 11th pick. ALL DE's are iffy and have question marks. I would rather trade the #11 for a veteran at some position that can immediately contribute and upgrade this team.

highlandfire69
02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Also, do we bring in a vet that can challenge Trent or just some scrub that might win a few games if he goes down. Personally I would like to see someone challenge him and let the situation play out as it may. It's all about WINNING, not coddling someone in hopes they improve. Just my two cents on that issue.

kernowboy
02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
We talk about a talent problem, but look at the current SuperBowl holders

You cannot say they have thrown massive money at free agents - they've achieved their continued level of success through

a) great coaching - Noll then Cowher now Tomlin

b) great drafting, often making unfashionable selections who have fitted right in to their team philosophy

c) intelligent use of free agency, picking up decent free agents like Clark and Farrior and simply getting them to play better or trading for unfashionable players like Bettis was when he was leaving the Rams

d) letting go the greedy or disruptive like Faneca, Burress, Porter etc even though many experts thought they were the teams best players.

We do not need to through huge piles of money at veterans who may become immediately lazy the moment the cash is in the bank.

What the team needs is a clear plan, a clear leader off the field who can concentrate minds and bring in via Free Agency or the draft, the right players to take the team forward, not necessarily the headline makers.