• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

First-Round Draft Choice Clark Goes Through First Mini-Camp

INDIANAPOLIS – The idea is for Dallas Clark to be an integral part of the Colts’ offense, a versatile tight end who can not only be effective, but help veteran Marcus Pollard, too.

That’s the long-term.

For the short-term, he’s trying to figure out what’s going on.

“They’re throwing a lot at us,” Clark, a rookie tight end from the University of Iowa, said between practices Saturday afternoon during the Colts’ May mini-camp at the Union Federal Football Center.

“That’s what they want. They want to see you improve on the field so when you come back to summer school this summer, the words sound familiar and you can just pick it up.”

Clark, the 24th overall selection in the NFL Draft this past weekend, was chosen to help the Colts revitalize what had been an effective offensive set for them, the two-tight end formation.

From 1998-2001, beginning with the arrival of offensive coordinator Tom Moore in 1998, the formation had been integral part of what was perennially one of the NFL’s top offenses. Pollard and veteran tight end Ken Dilger complemented one another, and the formation not only got both tight ends involved in the passing offense, it was also the Colts’ most effective run formation.

Last off-season, the Colts released Dilger, who signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Pollard, after setting career highs with 47 receptions for 739 yards and eight touchdowns in 2001, last season caught 43 passes for 478 yards and six touchdowns.

“I don’t really have an opinion yet,” Pollard said of Clark. “He’s strong as a bull, I know that, but I haven’t had a chance to watch him, so it’s unfair for me to give an assessment yet. But he seems to have all the tools.

“We hope it will free me up, but we don’t know what Dallas can do as far as blocking. If I’m a better blocker, then he’ll be downfield. Only time will tell. We’ll see how he develops and then we’ll see where we are.”

Pollard said he wasn’t surprised with the move.

“From reading some of the articles, I kind of thought they would take a tight end in the first round,” Pollard said.

Clark, who started 23 games during his final two seasons at Iowa, caught 81 passes for 1,281 yards and eight touchdowns in two seasons at the position.

He said the increased speed in the NFL has been noticeable in mini-camp, and he also said there have been moments this week where his circumstances have been somewhat overwhelming.

“I didn’t feel any extra pressure (being the first-round selection),” he said, “but you get out on the field and you’re out there with Peyton (Manning), Marvin (Harrison), Edgerrin (James) and Marcus – inside, you just can’t control it. You get anxious and you want to try your best and don’t make mistakes.

“I think that builds up the pride and you work hard out there.”

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
Working...
X