• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

DiGi re-signed.

DiGiorgio re-ups with Bills

The Bills made it two straight signings in two straight days as the club re-signed restricted free agent linebacker John DiGiorgio Wednesday. The signing comes just a day after Buffalo re-signed restricted free agent wide receiver Justin Jenkins.
    Much like Jenkins the Bills did more than just have DiGiorgio sign a one-year restricted tender. By signing a contract with the club, no other NFL team may sign the linebacker to an offer sheet.
    DiGiorgio appeared in only six games this past season after suffering a torn ACL while on coverage teams against the San Diego Chargers in Week 7 last fall. But he’s optimistic based on how his rehab has fared thus far.
    “I’ll be back for offseason workouts, hopefully be back for OTAs,” said DiGiorgio earlier this offseason. “My progress has been coming along pretty well.”
    Much like Jenkins, DiGiorgio is a core member of Buffalo’s special teams, which earned the top spot from the Dallas Morning News special teams rankings for the third time in five years for the 2008 campaign.
    The 2009 season will be DiGiorgio’s fourth with the Bills.

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: DiGi re-signed.

very good news.. no keep them coming...

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

I think both went up at the same time :)
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
        I think both went up at the same time :)
        Maybe that's why I'm posting in your thread and your posting in mine.

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

This is a great signing, someone who can play there position and be an outstanding special teams player, he is smart and gives us depth at all three spots
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by madness
            Maybe that's why I'm posting in your thread and your posting in mine.
            Haha I think you may be right, sir...
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Another solid depth signing. I don't think Digi is a starter, but he is a good backup.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Good move. Good backup.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Yeah I like this move too.

He's one of those guys that is not only really good on ST, but can actually play defense as well when needed.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                    DiGiorgio re-ups with Bills

The Bills made it two straight signings in two straight days as the club re-signed restricted free agent linebacker John DiGiorgio Wednesday. The signing comes just a day after Buffalo re-signed restricted free agent wide receiver Justin Jenkins.
                    Much like Jenkins the Bills did more than just have DiGiorgio sign a one-year restricted tender. By signing a contract with the club, no other NFL team may sign the linebacker to an offer sheet.
                    DiGiorgio appeared in only six games this past season after suffering a torn ACL while on coverage teams against the San Diego Chargers in Week 7 last fall. But he’s optimistic based on how his rehab has fared thus far.
                    “I’ll be back for offseason workouts, hopefully be back for OTAs,” said DiGiorgio earlier this offseason. “My progress has been coming along pretty well.”
                    Much like Jenkins, DiGiorgio is a core member of Buffalo’s special teams, which earned the top spot from the Dallas Morning News special teams rankings for the third time in five years for the 2008 campaign.
                    The 2009 season will be DiGiorgio’s fourth with the Bills.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...c-61dcd333b045
                    Sweet weve locked up two guys who should never start.

Well, I guess they at least know our special teams plays.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                      Sweet weve locked up two guys who should never start.

Well, I guess they at least know our special teams plays.
                      Jenkins is a good STer, and DiGiorgio is a very competent backup. Depth is a key in the NFL. They are both good signings.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Exactly! Good post, Jan.

Comment

• more cowbell
                          • Apr 2006

im a lot more comftorable with digorgio coming into a game than alvin bowen, jon corto or blake costanzo....
                          The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Jenkins is a good STer, and DiGiorgio is a very competent backup. Depth is a key in the NFL. They are both good signings.
                            Digi is a very competent backup?

What data do you have to support that claim?

Look, I like the re-signings, but Im not going to try to be convinced that we dont still need significant upgrades at either WR or LB... we even need upgrades to the backups.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by more cowbell
                              im a lot more comftorable with digorgio coming into a game than alvin bowen, jon corto or blake costanzo....
                              No arguement there... but thats also not saying much.

This team has a bad habit of using undrafteds and camp fillers as primary backups. Ellison should be 3rd string at best, instead we end up starting him two years in a row and it cost us. We need to get better with our starters and also our backups.

Guys like Morlon Greenwood, and Jamie Winborn are out there and can be had at probably 3rd tier FA money and cant command to start and instead with re-sign Digi? You can argue he started 14 games in 07 and had 114 tackles, 36 solo, and 2 sacks but we ended up 31st in the league in total defense. Not all his fault, but he wasnt part of the solution either. How is that a very competent backup?

To me, a very competent backup is someone who can step in for your quality starting player and have little drop-off. Many would argue were not good enough at many starting positions, which means our backups are even worse.

Raising the bar is more than just your starters, it trying to get better in every way possible. Our backups are part of the mediocrity equation.

No problem re-signing him if we also upgrade our backup LB corp.
                              Last edited by X-Era; 02-18-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X