PDA

View Full Version : haynesworth talk. ???

patmoran2006
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I know its fun to talk about and imagine a defense that has haynesworth on it, but do you think that's realistically going to happen?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I know people are expecting a big impact after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Wilson</st1:City>’s retaining of Jauron, admittance to having a lack of talent and him being elected to the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">HOF</st1:place></st1:City>. But I think getting Haynesworth is a bit overboard.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Just know this. For <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> to get Haynesworth, they will DEFINITELY have to pay him the most money. He’s not going to a mediocre team (for the past decade) for anything less than TOP of the market value.<o:p></o:p>
To land him in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>, at a minimum. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> would have to come up with a deal that averaged him about $11.5 to $12 million per year and would have to put up probably $30-33 million in guaranteed money. <o:p></o:p>
Does anyone think <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> is going to spend that on Haynesworth?<o:p></o:p>
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see him here; Haynesworth combined with a great rookie DE would transform this defense immediately. I just don’t see it happening.<o:p></o:p>
I look at this free agent class and the person I see the Bills targeting first will be Jason Brown (center- Ravens). He fills a need, he totally held his own against tough 3-4 NT’s in the AFC, and most importantly and unlike Saturday or Birk; he is young. How often do you see the Bills sign an expensive free agent over the age of 30?<o:p></o:p>
Now while it sounds like a contradiction, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> make an offer to Amani Toomer. Yes, he’s old and no he’s not the same player he once was. But he could be an excellent SHORT TERM #2 WR while the team develops Hardy and/or Johnson.<o:p></o:p>
I also expect us to make a run at bringing Angelo Crowell back. With Suggs and Dansby unavailable, Crowell may be the next best OLB out there. At worst, he’s an instant upgrade over Keith Ellison. Fortunately for buffalo, his knee injury has driven down his asking price in the open market.<o:p></o:p>
Another guy I’ve heard the Bills have interest in is Bo Scaife. Owen Daniels will not be a target because of the compensation they’d have to give up.<o:p></o:p>
And of course, we need a backup vet QB. Who that is, I have no idea and haven’t heard a single thing about anyone.<o:p></o:p>
But at any rate, as much as I wish, I think it’s insane to think the Bills are going to get Haynesworth. God, I’d love to be wrong though.<o:p></o:p>

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
He spent 49 million on Dockery, whats so far fetched about spending 60 mil on a proven commodity? We aren't exactly the cheapest franchise in the NFL, we are about 14th in overall spending. We signed Dockery and Walker to 49 million & 25 million dollar deals, respectively. Why can't we just put all our eggs in one basket this offseason and bring in arguably the best defensive player in the NFL? I'm pretty sure Stroud & Haynesworth would absolutely love the idea of playing next to each other.

madness
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think anybody realistically thinks it's going to happen but it doesn't mean it can't.

I'd be happy just to know the Bills are going to put in a solid effort to sign him.

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't think anybody realistically thinks it's going to happen but it doesn't mean it can't.

I'd be happy just to know the Bills are going to put in a solid effort to sign him.

Realistically, it has to atleast be a possibility. Put it this way, would you trade Dockery and Walker for Haynesworth? That's about what it would equate to. We typically bring in 2 decent big signings every year, we would just have to combine that money into one huge signing to bring in fat Al. Sign Haynesworth & Crowell, the rest can be depth signings and I would be happy with our roster heading into the draft.

bigbub2352
02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
i would luv this signing, Pat Williamd showed how long a DT can be effective in this league he would be a beast next to stroud and strike fear in our division right away
like buffalofever said we threw a bunch of money at Dockery man this would be solid

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
i would luv this signing, Pat Williamd showed how long a DT can be effective in this league he would be a beast next to stroud and strike fear in our division right away
like buffalofever said we threw a bunch of money at Dockery man this would be solid

Let's not forget why we gave up one of our best games of the year (rival game against Miami) and played it in Toronto. We made that deal with them specifically to be able to compete with big market teams. I'm still pissed that we didn't play Miami at RWS last year, that's one of the games I look forward to each year. Everybody know's that Miami is our biggest rival.

ddaryl
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I think we have the money to bring in Haynesworth and another Big FA or 2...

We release Royal, and McCargo and the Bills with cap adjustments of bonuses not hit from the previous year could be looking up to 30 - 35 million in cap space.

We have a boatload of extra cash from the Toronto games deal, and the only way to get Ontario fans on board is to make an impact worthy of getting excited for.

Will it happen.. probably not but here's hopin

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I think we have the money to bring in Haynesworth and another Big FA or 2...

We release Royal, and McCargo and the Bills with cap adjustments of bonuses not hit from the previous year could be looking up to 30 - 35 million in cap space.

We have a boatload of extra cash from the Toronto games deal, and the only way to get Ontario fans on board is to make an impact worthy of getting excited for.

Will it happen.. probably not but here's hopin

Even if Haynesworth was our only big addition it would make sense for a couple reasons.

1.) It would help Ralph show the Toronto deal in a different light. If the deal with Toronto means that we can bring in a guy like Haynesworth every other year or so, then who could really complain? It would show that Ralph isn't exactly trying to move the team but is trying to make us more competitive with bigger market teams.

2.) Bringing back Dick Jauron was disappointing to a large chunk of the fanbase, signing Haynesworth would help energize disheartened Bills fans again.

We are 26 million under the cap and it's probably going to be lower than that because rest assured, I can almost guarantee you that Royal, McCargo and Kelsay won't be in a Bills uniform next year. Bringing in a guy like Haynesworth will put fannies in the seats at RWS.

patmoran2006
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
You guys all make extremely valid points about Haynesworth; and I would love to have him here as much as anyone.

I just don't see it happening.

His contract is going to be insane. Im going to say no less than $60 million over 5 years, with at least half of it guarenteed.

billogic99
02-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I know its fun to talk about and imagine a defense that has haynesworth on it, but do you think that's realistically going to happen?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bills land Haynesworth, I expect the Bills to make at least one big splash. I guess we'll see.

psubills62
02-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't expect it at all.

That being said, I could see the Bills trying to make a splash in free agency for two reasons: 1) Jauron HAS to win this year to keep his job, and 2) Ralph needs to bring the fans back and give them a reason to hope for a better season after keeping Jauron.

Even so, I just don't see Haynesworth being the one they bring in. We'll see, it's not impossible.

Devin
02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
To land Haynesworth we will have to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history point blank. He will get paid QB money.

Jared Allen - 6 years $73.26 Mil ($31 mil guar. $15.5 bonus)
Dwight Freeney - 6 years $72 mil ($30 mil guar.)

We will have to beat that, because someone will.

Night Train
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Just can't see it.

Not in these economic times in this small market. A far harder schedule and predictable plunge in ticket renewels, especially in premium seats. Plus the blind faith angle is taking a big hit this year locally, with the Jauron return.

Mercenaries will always grab the $$ but a potential winner will offer him a better opportunity.

patmoran2006
02-18-2009, 05:42 PM
To land Haynesworth we will have to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history point blank. He will get paid QB money.

Agreed. I predicted around 5 years and 60 mill, which is pretty much online with the guys you cited.

X-Era
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Well, hes one of the best DT's in the league.

Some are saying that they think he will loaf when he gets his check.

The Bills get better day one with this move. Problem is they already traded for Stroud last year... I dont see them again going DT first and foremost.

A trade for a WR, DE, maybe TE? Yeah, I can see that.

PECKERWOOD
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Combine the numbers from Dockery's and Walker's contracts, somebody please... Tell me what numbers you get.

DANMAN
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't believe the Bills will pay Haynesworth the kinda money it would take to get him here. I think it's a pipe dream.

I agree with pat's numbers regarding the money Haynesworth will warrant and don't see Ralph paying that.

Would love it if they did sign him, but don't see it happening.

Would also like them to bring in Bo Scaife and J. Brown. They would be our best TE since Pete M and our best Center since Kent Hull, IMO, and could be had for alot less money (though they will not be cheap). Those 2 would really help the offense, and Edwards, out a bunch.

eyedog
02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Not a chance in hell. No way Ralph pays him qb money to come to Buffalo.

realdealryan
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
First hour of free agency - over/under on Haynesworth rumor thread????

psubills62
02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Well, hes one of the best DT's in the league.

Some are saying that they think he will loaf when he gets his check.

The Bills get better day one with this move. Problem is they already traded for Stroud last year... I dont see them again going DT first and foremost.

A trade for a WR, DE, maybe TE? Yeah, I can see that.

Well people say that because the only time he really produced was during his contract years (two because he was tagged last year). He had 14.5 sacks over the two contract years, and only 9.5 over the previous FIVE years? That sounds like a guy who is only motivated by money - once he's locked into a contract, he won't be nearly as dominant, imo.

Would he be an upgrade? Of course. Will he be the madman of the past two years, practically living in the opponent's backfield? I doubt it.

The guy has done everything to show that his motivation is money. Only performed in contract years, has said repeatedly that he's looking to be made the highest-paid player, etc.

For those reasons, I don't really want him. I'd rather have Rocky Bernard (only one season with fewer than 3.5 sacks) than Haynesworth.

Mahdi
02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
If you think about this as a GM it actually adds up....

1. Impact. This is the first thing you assess when you go after a FA. What can he do for the team.

Answer: Haynesworth is a 3-dimensional defensive lineman. He is the best pass rushing DT in the NFL. He disrupts the pocket for QBs consistently and causes them to throw awkwardly even if he doesnt get there. Second, he is a dominant run stuffer and must be double teamed on every run play. Third, the attention he commands frees up the rest of the DL to make plays which in turn frees up the LB corps. The ripple effect of having Haynesworth on your team is massive.

2. Longevity: Haynesworth is 27 and a lot of the elite DTs in the league current and past have managed to play solid football right through to 33 or 34. See Pat Williams. Thats about 6 years of production from an impact player.

3. Contract/cap space: The Bills are not a team that has many glaring holes everywhere as many teams do. They are about 2-3 players away from contending in the playoffs which means the large amount of cap space they have can realistically be used to sign 1-2 big contracts and 1-2 modest ones this year.

With about 26-30 million available giving Haynesworth 12 million of that is not out of the question. Especially considering their other needs can be solved in the draft.

I really think Buffalo will push for Haynesworth but whether they can be more lucrative to him than a team like Tampa bay who has the cap space and the weather/city combo is hard to believe but still possible. I think the fact that he would play with Marcus Stroud and Aaron Schobel plays into our favor.

jamze132
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
I see Buffalo maybe offering the guy 5 years and $55M but that my friends will not get him in Buffalo.