• Show
Clear All
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Rumor: Todd Heap is going to be released

Interesting post, heard this over at bb.com:

Originally posted by SaviorEdwards View Post
    I don't have a link to this, but a trusted source I know out of the Baltimore metro area with insider info told me that the Ravens are going to release Todd Heap and McGahee to free up more cap space. They are going to a need lots of money to keep their defense core intact (Suggs, Scott, Leonard, Lewis). This same source told me that they would franchise Suggs over the weekend - and that is exactly what happened minutes ago so I trust what he is feeding me.
    McGahee is not a surprise, because of the depth they have at RB and it's no secret his attidude and work ethic has put him in Harbaugh's doghouse.
    McAllistor was already let go, and Heap is likely to follow given his recent injuries and diminishing production.
    Take it for what it's worth - but if Heap becomes available I guarantee we go after him. (At least I hope so) He's is a wily vet with 8 years of NFL experience, but is still only 28 years old. He'd be a huge upgrade over what we have now....
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: Rumor: Todd Heap is going to be released

Heap isn't the player he once was but would still be a short term fix and upgrade over what we already have.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
      Defies all logic
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
      Heap isn't the player he once was but would still be a short term fix and upgrade over what we already have.

True, I wonder what kind of contract he is going to get? I'm not sure what the rate is for top TE's but he would be worth bringing in for a look.

Latest on TE Todd Heap including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

For somebody who isn't what he once was, he would still be an upgrade of the never was's on our roster in Royal and Schouman.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Feb 2005

i said this in another post but seriously as unfortunate as it is he is totally a dick jauron guy.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
          i said this in another post but seriously as unfortunate as it is he is totally a dick jauron guy.
          Why don't you like Heap?

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

If he gets cut, we're getting after him, I'd almost bet on it.. I'd love to raid the Ravens for Brown and Heap.

Plus, we wouldnt have to draft a center or TE early in the draft in that case; and concentrate on difference makers in the trenches.

I'm all for that..

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

This makes sense, and would be a bit of alright.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                Why don't you like Heap?
                he can never stay healthy, and our team needs to win now. dont get me wrong if he stays healthy and trent gets him the ball he is a great TE but he hasnt played a healthy, elite level football season in years, i mean bo scaife is a better TE and a better option for our team the way we run the ball with scaifes blocking skills, and 4 years ago heap was the young stud of the position in football, now he never even plays through injuries. i just think that he is going to play a game or too and start having lingering injuries all season long.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  If he gets cut, we're getting after him, I'd almost bet on it.. I'd love to raid the Ravens for Brown and Heap.

Plus, we wouldnt have to draft a center or TE early in the draft in that case; and concentrate on difference makers in the trenches.

I'm all for that..
                  And that has to be the mentality this organization NEEDS to have in this offseason. Target your FA's and setup your draft! Don't just go about it in a half-assed manner. Make a plan and stick to it!

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

Heap makes Rob Johnson look durable. Just sayin'.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

This would surprise the hell out of me.

Granted, Heap has had a lot of nagging injuries and may not be the player he promised to be when he signed his big contract a few years ago, but he is still a very good TE. If the Ravens cut him, they would need to go out and replace him.

Secondly, cutting Heap wouldnt' save much money. He signed a 6-year extension worth $30M/$11M SB in 2005. He has 3 years left on that deal, with a base salary of $3.6M this year. His bonus would have been pro-rated at $2.2M per season through 2009 (at the time, that was as far as bonuses could be spread).

On top of that, he restructured his contract last year, converting $2.27M in salary to bonus spread at $567.5K per season.

So, if you take Heaps current cap number of $6.637M and subtract out the remaining bonus money to be accounted for of $3.9M, it means the Ravens would save about $2.64M on the cap... but they would need a starting TE.

Doesn't really seem worth it to me. Unless there is something else going on, I can't see it.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                        • Feb 2005

this would be nice, Heap also suffered in Balt having no huge threat at WR and poor QB play most of his career, i think he is exactly what we need at TE here sign him and still draft another TE later on
                        Day 1 could be all DLine and a playmaker at WR then in the 5th grab a guy like Bear Poscoe and get rid of some of the dead weight at TE like Schouman and Royal
                        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                          this would be nice, Heap also suffered in Balt having no huge threat at WR and poor QB play most of his career, i think he is exactly what we need at TE here sign him and still draft another TE later on
                          Day 1 could be all DLine and a playmaker at WR then in the 5th grab a guy like Bear Poscoe and get rid of some of the dead weight at TE like Schouman and Royal
                          Releasing Schouman for Bear Pascoe is an upgrade?

Im not a huge Schouman fan, but I think we sometimes think new is better... New is just new.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                            he can never stay healthy, and our team needs to win now.
                            Agreed. He's been All-Whirlpool his entire career.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

I would dump Robert Royal and pick up Todd Heap in a heartbeat! He'd definitely be a solid weapon for the red zone and the middle of the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X