PDA

View Full Version : Cartwright Feeling More Comfortable in Second Season

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 02:27 PM
In his rookie season in 2002, Redskins fullback Rock Cartwright became a solid contributor to the Redskins' offense. The Kansas State product emerged as an effective blocker and legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield as the season wore on.

"I'm already lower than almost all linebackers--so that's a built-in advantage," the 5-7, 237-pound Cartwright said after Washington's Thursday morning practice. "But I have to work hard with my feet to make sure I finish blocks. A lot of it is pride and heart, too. I take a lot of pride in playing hard."

Washington's recent mini-camp and coaching sessions have provided an opportunity for Cartwright, the Redskins' seventh-round pick in 2002, to refine his knowledge of the Redskins' offense and become more comfortable on the field.

"During these practices I already feel more comfortable in our offense," Cartwright said. "Instead of going out there and thinking about what I have to do, I'm able to play without thinking too much. That allows me to play football at a faster pace."

Cartwright emerged last season as a viable offensive threat after serving mainly in a backup role and special teams player at the beginning of the season. He finished the 2002 campaign with 11 catches for 121 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed three times for 22 yards. Cartwright played in all 16 games in his rookie season.

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11689