PDA

View Full Version : Cards Vets Continue Improvement

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 02:32 PM
The Cardinals held an organized team activity on Tuesday morning, May 6.

The veterans continued to work Monday on individual drills and team drills. Highlight plays during team drills included a nice grab for an interception by safety Dexter Jackson, and quarterback Preston Parsons hitting wide receiver Jason McAddley for a 50-yard touchdown.

Defensive lineman Wendell Bryant is a world ahead following this year’s mini camp than he was this time a year ago when the first-round draft choice elected not to work out.

“I’m further ahead and I know more as far as defenses and schemes go,” said Bryant. “Now that I have a year under my belt, I know the tempo of being out here so it is a lot better and I am more comfortable.”

For any rookie or veteran that is new to a team, the tempo and rhythm can be difficult to pick up on, something many of the Cardinals rookies discovered this past weekend.

“It is hard for anybody to get used to the tempo and who you are with out there, regardless if you are a rookie or a vet coming to a new team,” elaborated Bryant. “The tempo changes from team to team and once you pick up the tempo you can pick up things better and be more efficient with your time out there.”

Head Coach Dave McGinnis reiterated the importance of every player showing up for training camp in the utmost physical condition and has been pleased with Bryant’s progress this off-season.

“Wendell looks good,” observed McGinnis. “He’s been in good condition and this is very beneficial for him because he missed a lot of this last year which was crucial to his development. Just being in here in the off-season, being able to do what he’s doing now, again, we haven’t strapped one pad on yet and believe me, you don’t canonize any saints in shorts. We will continue to work on it and Wendell has a good mindset and when we come down the hill from camp I’ll have a lot more to go on.”

With a new assistant defensive line coach and new defensive schemes including the possibility of using four or five defensive ends on passing downs, Bryant is taking advantage of this extra time to improve his game prior to camp in Flagstaff this summer.

“I’ve learned a lot with the different things they are trying to do this year and just being able to get out there and get an early jump so that when I get to camp it is not all Greek to me,” stated the second-year defensive lineman. “I’ll know what they want, the tempo and the speed and everything.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1206