PDA

View Full Version : Peppers Off the Market

Bills Juggernaut
02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
He is going to get franchised after Carolina reached contract with Gross.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3919050

justasportsfan
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
It's a good thing we have Kelsay :phew:

don137
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Peppers is a non exclusive fanchise player. I am not an expert on it but from my understanding a non exclusive franchise player means the Panthers are entitled to some compensation and not necessarily two first rounders. It could be a first and two thirds. Its up to the Panthers and whatever team Peppers signs with to work out a deal.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Peppers is a non exclusive fanchise player. I am not an expert on it but from my understanding a non exclusive franchise player means the Panthers are entitled to some compensation and not necessarily two first rounders. It could be a first and two thirds. Its up to the Panthers and whatever team Peppers signs with to work out a deal..

The non-exclusive tag means the player can market himself and sign an offer sheet with any team. If he does sign an offer sheet, Carolina has 7 days to match or they receive 2 first round picks in return.

The exclusive franchise tag means the player can't market himself to any other teams or sign an offer sheet anywhere. The team retains exclusive rights to negotiate.

The exclusive tag may cost the team more, though. The player receives an average of the top-5 players at his position or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater, with either tag. However, with the non-exclusive tag that tender amount is set at the beginning of FA and stays at that amount. With the exclusive tag the tender can be adjusted for any new contracts signed during the initial FA period (up to a week prior to the draft), and can go up if any of the contracts signed in the interim knock a lower salary out of the top-5.

Mitchell55
02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Its already been said 100 times that he will get Franchised then traded. This is no news.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Its already been said 100 times that he will get Franchised then traded. This is no news.
I have to agree that hes on his way out. Unfortunately, he apparently has say as to where hes going and its a safe bet that it wont be the Bills.

If the Bills were serious about him, they would pull a Tennenbaum and start the full court press like the Jets did for Favre.

Get the permission to speak with him from the Panthers, and then start "servicing" the guy like there is no tomorrow.

Instead we may not even put forth our ususal half-assed attempt and then I can guarantee he wont ever be a Bill.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I have to agree that hes on his way out. Unfortunately, he apparently has say as to where hes going and its a safe bet that it wont be the Bills.

If the Bills were serious about him, they would pull a Tennenbaum and start the full court press like the Jets did for Favre.

Get the permission to speak with him from the Panthers, and then start "servicing" the guy like there is no tomorrow.

Instead we may not even put forth our usual half-assed attempt and then I can guarantee he wont ever be a Bill.

don137
02-20-2009, 07:44 AM

The non-exclusive tag means the player can market himself and sign an offer sheet with any team. If he does sign an offer sheet, Carolina has 7 days to match or they receive 2 first round picks in return.

The exclusive franchise tag means the player can't market himself to any other teams or sign an offer sheet anywhere. The team retains exclusive rights to negotiate.

The exclusive tag may cost the team more, though. The player receives an average of the top-5 players at his position or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater, with either tag. However, with the non-exclusive tag that tender amount is set at the beginning of FA and stays at that amount. With the exclusive tag the tender can be adjusted for any new contracts signed during the initial FA period (up to a week prior to the draft), and can go up if any of the contracts signed in the interim knock a lower salary out of the top-5.

Again, I am not an expert on the rules but I thought they could trade prior to a contract being signed and the compensation does not necessarily be two first rounders.