PDA

View Full Version : With Gross's contract

Slim
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Gross's contract was 60 million, with 30 garunteed.

If the Bills start hammering out a contract with Peters the numbers will be very similar to Gross's contract. Around 10 mil a year with 30 garunteed. Peters should be a happy man.

patmoran2006
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
IF the Bills decide to redo his deal this offseason (should but don’t have to) and IF he ends up getting money similar to Gross, that will be our “big” offseason move. ESPECIALLY if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> holds true to his cash to cap spending.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
People can then forget about any “big” names coming here via FA. Maybe resigning Crowell would be our next biggest move.<o:p></o:p>
It scares me because although the draft is vital to any team, I’ve lost confidence in this FO to hit home runs on draft day. Too many fringe players taken in the first 2-3 rounds over the past five years (Whitner, McCargo, Poz, Youboty, Ellis, Hardy, etc) and not enough impact.. It was looking like Lynch would be a home run, but at this rate he’s going to be lucky to be in the NFL in 2-3 years the way he’s going.<o:p></o:p>
I wish that dumping Kelsay could get some money back towards the cap and our spending, but I’ve learned that cutting him isn’t going to help out the cap situation at all.<o:p></o:p>

Ickybaluky
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]IF the Bills decide to redo his deal this offseason (should but don’t have to) and IF he ends up getting money similar to Gross, that will be our “big” offseason move.

I don't know if there are a lot of guys left worth big dollars. A bunch of players have already re-signed or been franchised, and there will probably be more contracts in advance of FA.

Figure the top unrestricted guys available are Albert Haynesworth, Kurt Warner, T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Ray Lewis and Bart Scott.

After that you get the next tier of guys like Derrick Ward, L.J. Smith, Marvel Smith, Stacy Andrews, Mike Goff, Matt Birk, Jason Brown, Chris Canty, Jermaine Phillips and Brian Dawkins.

How many of those guys, beyond Haynesworth, are worth overpaying for, which is what you will have to do early in FA? How many of those guys make a huge difference?

Keep in mind, that list may dwindle some in the next 8 days before FA starts. I'm not sure there isn't greater value waiting and looking at the middle-tier guys. This FA period is looking like it will be a dud.

patmoran2006
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
And I Don’t see ANY way we sign Haynesworth.. If we did, you can say goodbye to our starting LT for sure, because there is no way they are paying both of them.<o:p></o:p>
Peters I’m sure is very tradeable, but I don’t trust our FO enough to draft a solid left tackle in the draft.<o:p></o:p>

Lexwhat
02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe we can use some of our leftover unused cap money from last year...

...Oh wait.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe we can use some of our leftover unused cap money from last year...

...Oh wait.

Why are we waiting... we know the parameters of the deal we need to make now, hurry up and do it.

TacklingDummy
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
IF the Bills decide to redo his deal this offseason (should but don’t have to) and IF he ends up getting money similar to Gross, that will be our “big” offseason move.

If he Bills decide to redo Peters deal don't look for any other big signings this year.

TacklingDummy
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I agree.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
And I Don’t see ANY way we sign Haynesworth.. If we did, you can say goodbye to our starting LT for sure, because there is no way they are paying both of them.<o:p></o:p>
Peters I’m sure is very tradeable, but I don’t trust our FO enough to draft a solid left tackle in the draft.<o:p></o:p> Agreed. I'd rather have Haynesworth and trade Peters.

Slim
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I see the Bills re-doing Peter's contract way after the free agency or draft. Probably around the time frame of TC, or maybe into the season. I could see the Bills not wanting to negotiate until after they know he's committed to the team. We're in no rush to get him signed, he's already under contract. I could be wrong but since i think the deal would go down after FA and the draft. It could effect next years off-season more than this one.

patmoran2006
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I see the Bills re-doing Peter's contract way after the free agency or draft. Probably around the time frame of TC, or maybe into the season. I could see the Bills not wanting to negotiate until after they know he's committed to the team. We're in no rush to get him signed, he's already under contract. I could be wrong but since i think the deal would go down after FA and the draft. It could effect next years off-season more than this one.
That depends on how WIlson would pay the money.

If he is going to count whatever bonus money he gets onto THIS year's cap rather than spread out over the duration of the contract-- then it will have the same effect cap-wise whether its March or July.

Now if we're aggressive come next week, and come summer time as your saying, they want to redo Peters, and they spread out his bonus to our "self imposed cap" then it can happen and not have as much of an effect this year.

But if WIlson stays true to the way its been the past few years, then redoing Peters will have a huge impact on THIS year's cash to cap, and less as years go by.