PDA

View Full Version : Misdemeanor(s) only for Marshawn

X-Era
02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/19/misdemeanor-charges-only-for-marshawn/

LtFinFan66
02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Marshawn is working it like Neo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FQEPWkDJyY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FQEPWkDJyY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tatonka
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
it is just a matter of time till he goes to jail. if not for this, then something else.

Pinkerton Security
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
how can this be, he is a gun-toting thug who roams the streets running over innocent civilians and freebasing every drug possible!?!?!!

BAM
02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Well that probably downgrades his suspension to two games.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
how can this be, he is a gun-toting thug who roams the streets running over innocent civilians and freebasing every drug possible!?!?!!

Exactly.

I think we should reserve judgement until this thing takes its due process.

I also think its interesting that they have already reduced the charge without even a plea deal.... seems to say the evidence may be a bit sketchy.

Slim
02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
I say one game suspension tops.

LtFinFan66
02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Exactly.

I think we should reserve judgement until this thing takes its due process.

I also think its interesting that they have already reduced the charge without even a plea deal.... seems to say the evidence may be a bit sketchy.I think you are assuming too much.

I think: Marshawn Lynch," millionaire football player" is playing into it as well

billsfanone
02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
:bf1:

PECKERWOOD
02-19-2009, 07:33 PM

That's what I was thinking, I thought it would be reduced to a misdemeanor and a 2 game suspension would be justified.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I think you are assuming too much.

I think: Marshawn Lynch," millionaire football player" is playing into it as well

could be, who knows.

Hes been my favorite Bill. I hate the mess that hes in and hope for the best for everyone involved.

I understand that potentially hes the one to be pissed at. But it doesnt change how I feel.

LtFinFan66
02-19-2009, 07:48 PM
I hear ya

Romes
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Good, i guess.

Hope he shapes up, but I'm not holding my breath.

TacklingDummy
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM

He'll still get 4.

For not learning his lesson with his past run in with the law, for having a loaded gun with him, for poor judgment, hanging out with trouble, and for marijuana being in the car.

Maybe a 4 game suspension would make him wake up and smell the coffee.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
He'll still get 4.

For not learning his lesson with his past run in with the law, for having a loaded gun with him, for poor judgment, hanging out with trouble, and for marijuana being in the car.

Maybe a 4 game suspension would make him wake up and smell the coffee.

Regardless of his suspension situation, I hope he wakes up soon.

When you put yourself in bad situations, you will eventually get burned. If not now, then later...but it will happen.

Goobylal
02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking he just gets a fine and no suspension. Last year's incident doesn't even factor into anything.

Tatonka
02-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Last year's incident doesn't even factor into anything.

not according to the commish of the NFL. but who cares what he thinks.

Dujek
02-20-2009, 03:38 AM
At least he can still play in the Toronto game then.

Jan Reimers
02-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Marshawn is skating on very thin ice. I would almost hope for a harsher penalty, which hopefully would teach him a lesson. I'm not sure he'll ever modify his behavior if he keeps walking away, relatively unscathed, from situations that show him to be on the brink of something very serious.

mybills
02-20-2009, 07:33 AM
People are presuming that he smoked the blunt. What if he doesn't even like the stuff, and his tests come back negative? You can erase that from the Commissioner's decision on the suspension. So it is possible that he will only get 2 games.

mybills
02-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Plus..it's still in his favor that he didn't shoot the firearm like other NFL players have.

TedMock
02-20-2009, 07:35 AM
The kid showed unbelievably stupid judgement. I think a lot of people have hypocritically jumped on him though. I hope he does get a stiff punishment from the NFL. He needs to learn a lesson. I'm not ready to call him a thug, or a piece of crap as a human being though. I am ready to call him a guy who has shown some really stupid judgement. Of course, I can't talk too much because I have certainly made some very stupid decisions in my life too. Luckily they've become fewer and farther between as I've gotten older. I have smoked pot in my day. I do not anymore. I haven't in years. I drove with a loaded pistol to Ripley, NY to go hunting when I was 21. I didn't have a permit or a hunting license at the time. I have been behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol. That too was many years ago. I even drove across state lines with Jack Daniels green label. All very stupid things that I wouldn't dream of doing now as a 34 year old with a wife, children, a high-paying job and a nice house. I don't think that young, foolish decisions should be completely ignored, nor do I feel that there should be no consequence. There should be. Absolutely. Am I a thug for the foolish things I did in the past? Am I a piece of crap because of the bad decisions I've made in the past? Good god, I hope not. I try to be a good person and I try to do what's right. I feel that I do a lot of good in my life too. Yes, he's an NFL player and he should be more careful, but do you realistically hold them to higher standards because they make money playing ball? Police, priests, etc should be held to higher standards. A poor kid turned millionaire - I don't know about that. You're all entitled to your opinions and I'm not saying anybody is wrong. I'm just saying that to forgive your own mistakes because "you're not in the NFL" seems like a poor excuse to be hypocritical.

At the end of the day he will probably be charged with 1 misdemeanor and at that point the NFL should hit him for 2-4 games. He'll deserve it and it sucks for us as fans, but it needs to be done, and I also have hope that a 22 year old can mature.

mybills
02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Great post, Ted! :bf1:

Tatonka
02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Ted, i didn't realize he was carrying a loaded handgun for hunting purposes.. all is forgiven!

:snicker:

to compare some of this stuff to what you did is fine, but i personaly have never gotten accused of sexual assualt and had a restraining order filed against me. I have never hit a woman in my car hard enough to break my side view mirror and not noticed that i did it.. i have never carried my own alcohol into a bar because i was too lame to buy from the bar.. i have never hidden a loaded hand gun in my trunk... and i have definately never smoked weed WHILE hiding a loaded handgun in my trunk.

i don't feel i am being a hypocrit.. with the several million dollars he got at a very young age comes a certain amount of responsibility and a duty to the buffalo bills and to the fans of this team that pay his ridiculous salary. this is strike 2 just in the nfl.

he has shown very poor judgement in college and in the nfl. there is a clear pattern and i think that it will continue because he has not shown that is smart enough to change his ways at all. hopefully he does from this point on.. but my money says he ****s up again, and i hope the bills are not the ones that pay the price and lose games because of his stupid ass actions.

TedMock
02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Ted, i didn't realize he was carrying a loaded handgun for hunting purposes.. all is forgiven!

:snicker:

to compare some of this stuff to what you did is fine, but i personaly have never gotten accused of sexual assualt and had a restraining order filed against me. I have never hit a woman in my car hard enough to break my side view mirror and not noticed that i did it.. i have never carried my own alcohol into a bar because i was too lame to buy from the bar.. i have never hidden a loaded hand gun in my trunk... and i have definately never smoked weed WHILE hiding a loaded handgun in my trunk.

i don't feel i am being a hypocrit.. with the several million dollars he got at a very young age comes a certain amount of responsibility and a duty to the buffalo bills and to the fans of this team that pay his ridiculous salary. this is strike 2 just in the nfl.

he has shown very poor judgement in college and in the nfl. there is a clear pattern and i think that it will continue because he has not shown that is smart enough to change his ways at all. hopefully he does from this point on.. but my money says he ****s up again, and i hope the bills are not the ones that pay the price and lose games because of his stupid ass actions.

lol. You didn't see the "hunting" part in the newspaper? Kidding. I have no dispute with most of your points. You are absolutely right in that this kid has made some bad decisions and some absolutely worse than others. Yes, there is a pattern and it needs to be addressed. He may never figure it out. I'm just hoping that because he is 22 years old there is certainly a lot of time left for him to grow up. With any of us, regardless of job, we have a certain responsibility once we're employed. He has violated that. So have countless other young men in various professions. I just don't feel that making more money gives him the ability to be smarter or more responsible. He'd still be a stupid 22 year old even if he were pumping gas for a living. I do think he needs to pay his dues and learn his lessons. No doubt about it. I just think that if he does he can learn a lesson. This is strike two for him. Strike three and you're out. Everything in the past is just that and he wasn't held accountable. Not his fault. He should've been. This time he will be. Even the incident last year - as low as the punishment was - he was certainly held accountable - mostly via the media. No matter what, it hurt him. This now makes the public question him even more, and he'll be charged by the law and the NFL. The only way for him to prove anything to us is by keeping clean off the field from now on and by busting his butt on the field. As usual, all will be forgiven by the fans if we're winning. If not - well that's another story.

Patrick76777
02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
So they always look at precedent in these situations. You guys just seem to be arbitrarily throwing around suspension parameters.

Brandon Marshall got 3 games (reduced to 1) for numerous domestic violence calls in 3 months. Police fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. One article stated that one one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute). Plus he had numerous traffic violations.

Lynch had what amounts to a reckless driving ticket and a gun in his trunk.

4 games…….keep dreaming. I’ll be shocked if he even gets one game.

That's the legal issue

On a personel note, the behavior is no doubt troubling. Usually if there’s smoke, there’s fire. This cat has had trouble with the law twice in less then a year. It looks like he’s been able to “backdoor” his way out of it each time.

But it’s just the way it is with pro athletes. Our most celebreated teams back in the 90’s were filled with guys who got into all sorts of off the field situations. Remember Bruce Smith’s four game suspension? I guess we should have cut him also! What about when he was so drunk that he fell asleep at a traffic light and blamed it on a sleep issue?

It stinks but it's the way it is......sports fans kinda need to take the good with the badk. And If you can't deal with that, maybe you’re not cut out to follow sports in this day and age.

Goobylal
02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
not according to the commish of the NFL. but who cares what he thinks.
Why, what has the Commish said on this latest incident, much less how last year's (non) incident affects it? Once again, Lynch was determined to have accidentally hit that girl last year, after the DA fully investigated it over the course of a month.

And while he's reportedly going to be charged with 3 missy's, his lawyer hasn't seen any information and will have a chance to fight the charges, and get some or all reduced or (remotely) possibly even dropped.

mybills
02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Good luck, Marshawn. I hope you grow up soon!

Pinkerton Security
02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
i want him to get 1 game, max 2, at least so he can maybe get his s*** straight and realize hes not above the rules

Mr. Pink
02-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Goodell will likely take into account the hit and run last year, the 11 calls to Marshawn's house and now this incident and put it into the perspective of...

"I know marshawn hasn't gotten into serious trouble yet but he's putting himself in situations that not only reflect poorly upon himself but this very league. I feel there is no other recourse than to suspend him for at least 4 games so that he may be able to grow and learn as a humanbeing to be a better representative off our great game on and off the field."

Goobylal
02-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Goodell will likely take into account the hit and run last year, the 11 calls to Marshawn's house and now this incident and put it into the perspective of...
Those were 11 calls to Brandon Marshall's house, not Marshawn's. I did a double take when I first read that as well.

Mr. Pink
02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Those were 11 calls to Brandon Marshall's house, not Marshawn's. I did a double take when I first read that as well.

I misread that part too...my apologies...

But still it's gotta be a little disconcerning to the league that now for two offseasons in a row Marshawn has found himself in league troubles.

TigerJ
02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm glad it was reduced to a misdemeanor. I'm happy at this point to let justice run its course. However, I hope that the potential seriousness of the situation impresses itself on Marshawn. I don't want to predict the future, but if he doesn'tgrow up soon, it can't end well for him.

Goobylal
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I misread that part too...my apologies...

But still it's gotta be a little disconcerning to the league that now for two offseasons in a row Marshawn has found himself in league troubles.
I won't say I'm happy about the gun charges, but as for the hit and alleged run, the evidence simply does not point to him being drunk and/or knowing he hit her.

And using Marshall as an example, not to mention Burress (who hasn't been suspended by the league, and was only tokenly suspended by the Giants for games he would have missed anyway) and Marvin Harrison (who's gun was used in a shooting), I can't see Lynch ultimately getting more than a 1 game suspension, and can see him just getting a fine.

billogic99
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Yeah, he's just an innocent victim and everyone else is forcing him to do stupid things....poor Marshawn.

X-Era
02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
The kid showed unbelievably stupid judgement. I think a lot of people have hypocritically jumped on him though. I hope he does get a stiff punishment from the NFL. He needs to learn a lesson. I'm not ready to call him a thug, or a piece of crap as a human being though. I am ready to call him a guy who has shown some really stupid judgement. Of course, I can't talk too much because I have certainly made some very stupid decisions in my life too. Luckily they've become fewer and farther between as I've gotten older. I have smoked pot in my day. I do not anymore. I haven't in years. I drove with a loaded pistol to Ripley, NY to go hunting when I was 21. I didn't have a permit or a hunting license at the time. I have been behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol. That too was many years ago. I even drove across state lines with Jack Daniels green label. All very stupid things that I wouldn't dream of doing now as a 34 year old with a wife, children, a high-paying job and a nice house. I don't think that young, foolish decisions should be completely ignored, nor do I feel that there should be no consequence. There should be. Absolutely. Am I a thug for the foolish things I did in the past? Am I a piece of crap because of the bad decisions I've made in the past? Good god, I hope not. I try to be a good person and I try to do what's right. I feel that I do a lot of good in my life too. Yes, he's an NFL player and he should be more careful, but do you realistically hold them to higher standards because they make money playing ball? Police, priests, etc should be held to higher standards. A poor kid turned millionaire - I don't know about that. You're all entitled to your opinions and I'm not saying anybody is wrong. I'm just saying that to forgive your own mistakes because "you're not in the NFL" seems like a poor excuse to be hypocritical.

At the end of the day he will probably be charged with 1 misdemeanor and at that point the NFL should hit him for 2-4 games. He'll deserve it and it sucks for us as fans, but it needs to be done, and I also have hope that a 22 year old can mature.

Fantastic!

Thank You!

:clap: