PDA

View Full Version : List of Players Bills Have Talked to in Indy

Romes
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Usually, there is one of these threads every year. Suprised one hasn't been started, yet. Anyway, post the name of the player (links are always good too). I'll kick it off.

So far we got:

C- Alex Mack - Cal
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/02/20/c-mack-has-spoken-with-bills/

OG - Herman Johnson - LA State
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=554708

OT - Cornelius Lewis - TSU
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66222

C - Max Unger - Oregon
http://www.wgr550.com/Combine-Coverage-Day-2/3886038 (scroll down)

TE - Shawn Nelson - Southern Miss

C - AQ Shipley - Penn St.

X-Era
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Usually, there is one of these threads every year. Suprised one hasn't been started anyway. Post the name of the player (links are always good too). I'll kick it off.

So far we got:

C- Alex Mack - Cal
Well, im almost giddy that they are smart enough to realize they need help at C. Thats a start.

Its just talking with him... but...

He may not last until 42 if hes the top rated C, and we know hes not worth 11. To get him may take a trade up from round 2 or down from 1.

Maybe they were just asking him if he ever packed heat and smoked pot with Marshawn.

Romes
02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, im almost giddy that they are smart enough to realize they need help at C. Thats a start.

He may not last until 42 if hes the top rated C, and we know hes not worth 11. To get him may take a trade up from round 2 or down from 1.

Maybe they were just asking him if he ever packed heat and smoked pot with Marshawn.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills reached for him at 11.

Slim
02-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Depends what happens in FA.

Romes
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
updated with Cornelius Lewis...

X-Era
02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Damn

great digging!

:clap:

:posrep:

more cowbell
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
im almost expecting the bills to reach for alex mack at 11.

especially if orakpo is taken.

its just like the bills to adress a glaring need through the draft rather than FA

DraftBoy
02-19-2009, 10:02 PM

That would be one of the worst possible decisions this team could make at 11.

Romes
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Agreed, especially considering the depth at the position in both the draft and FA.

but....would you be suprised though?

TigerJ
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I've seen a lot of mocks that have Pittsburgh snagging Mack at the end of the first round.

tat2dmike77
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM

Aside from drafting anther DB at 11

Romes
02-20-2009, 12:05 AM
added Max Unger, AQ Shipley and Shawn Nelson to the list.

PECKERWOOD
02-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Unger would probably fit our scheme the best. We typically go after the ginormous O-linemen.

DraftBoy
02-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Aside from drafting anther DB at 11

No actually a DB would make a lot more sense then OC considering we have only 1 capable safety and are relying on a 2 2nd year CB's to step up their games to another level with the depature of Greer. Both the S class and CB class are top heavy but weaker in the later rounds which is the opposite of the OC class which is very deep.

DraftBoy
02-20-2009, 07:08 AM
added Max Unger, AQ Shipley and Shawn Nelson to the list.

Id LOVE to land Shipley and Nelson. I have them slotted for Round 4 (Shipley) and Round 2 (Nelson) respectively. I also have Nelson as maybe the best TE in this draft.

DraftBoy
02-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Romes, Im going to add these names to a thread in the Scouting Zone for all team interviews, thanks for the info!
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=169191

jamze132
02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
No actually a DB would make a lot more sense then OC considering we have only 1 capable safety and are relying on a 2 2nd year CB's to step up their games to another level with the depature of Greer. Both the S class and CB class are top heavy but weaker in the later rounds which is the opposite of the OC class which is very deep.
There you go agian...

We do not need to take any DBs early this draft.

The problem is not with out young DBs. They will look and play much better when the D-LINE is much improved. You can't just keep adding DB after DB and WR after WR each year and expect the win/loss record to improve. You must have a solidified offensive and defensive line.

Look who we play at 6 games a year (38% of all games). They all run the 3-4 and have very good NTs over our pathetic excuse for a C. I know that is on the offensive side of the ball but it works both ways. All four AFCE teams have bookend Tackles. Our crappy defensive end rush is absolutely worthless and will never be successful until we improve the D-LINE.

Improve both lines, and you can buy some playoff tickets.

ddaryl
02-20-2009, 08:20 AM
the game is won and lost in the trenches, and this list demonstrates that mentality on the O side of the ball....

Our FA and Draft should see us grabbing a few players for the trenches... that's the priortiy this team needs

PECKERWOOD
02-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I've seen a lot of mocks that have Pittsburgh snagging Mack at the end of the first round.

Alot of teams will want him in the early 2nd as well.

DraftBoy
02-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Taking an OC though in Round 1 hurts this team way more than taking a DB does. Yes we need to improve both lines but we do not need to reach to do it. Both lines have deep classes let's for once use that to our advantage and not get caught reaching again. Its that simple.

PECKERWOOD
02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Taking an OC though in Round 1 hurts this team way more than taking a DB does. Yes we need to improve both lines but we do not need to reach to do it. Both lines have deep classes let's for once use that to our advantage and not get caught reaching again. Its that simple.

I think we're going to go after Maualuga, almost for certain. I'd be happy with him or Orakpo, Maybin or Brown at 11 but just for the simple fact that we haven't resigned Crowell shows alot about our intentions.

T-Long
02-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Totally agreed. Even the Bills aren't that stupid to take a damn center at pick 11. I bet all my zonebucks and my membership to this board that we don't take a center at that pick.

ddaryl
02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
If were going to take a center it should be Jason Brown in FA, and we should do it for 3 reasons...

1.) it will make a huge difference for our OL and our O in general. Instant upgrade and big one.

2.) It will keep Brown from going to Miami. We cannot afford to have Miami picking up a young stud C that would give Miami a huge upgrade.

3.) he is young and entering his prime.

mysticsoto
02-20-2009, 09:31 AM
While I am happy that the Bills are finally giving the Center position attention and interviewing multiple prospects, I am equally annoyed that they didn't foresee/anticipate this need last year and didn't grab a late round prospect. As I recall, there were even decent prospects that went undrafted that the Bills should have gotten and placed in the PS. 2 years ago, they didn't anticipate/foresee our WR problem correctly. I gave them a pass back then b'cse Jauron was new to the team, but he isn't any longer and they need to work on anticipating 2010's needs also with the latter part of the draft!!! I think our team is in the playoffs if we get a good C, real #2 WR and a solid DE.

jamze132
02-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I agree that #11 is too early to take a C, but if we wait past the 2nd round, the good ones will mostly be gone.

We need to go DT, DE, or LB at #11, barring a trade down. Of course, we will have a better idea after we get our FAs.

But go ahead and count out DB or WR in RD1.

Mahdi
02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Usually, there is one of these threads every year. Suprised one hasn't been started, yet. Anyway, post the name of the player (links are always good too). I'll kick it off.

So far we got:

C- Alex Mack - Cal

OG - Herman Johnson - LA State
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=554708

OT - Cornelius Lewis - TSU
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66222

C - Max Unger - Oregon

TE - Shawn Nelson - Southern Miss

C - AQ Shipley - Penn St.
Nice to see were looking to raise the average size of our OL (Herman Johnson). You wouldnt think it would be possible.

justasportsfan
02-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice to see were looking to raise the average size of our OL (Herman Johnson). You wouldnt think it would be possible.

we were already oneof the biggest if not the biggest OL already last year and that didn't do much. Our qb's were still harrassed .

DraftBoy
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I agree that #11 is too early to take a C, but if we wait past the 2nd round, the good ones will mostly be gone.

We need to go DT, DE, or LB at #11, barring a trade down. Of course, we will have a better idea after we get our FAs.

There will be only 2 OC's gone by the end of Round 2 at most. That will leave 5 still readily available who would all be instant upgrades.

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I am with DraftBoy about waiting to take a center, but I will be royally pissed if we take a DB at 11. We need DL help like nobodys business.

mysticsoto
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM

There are a good 5 or 6 Centers in this year's draft...it has more depth than usual at this position this year - thankfully for us...although if we get a vet, we may not care.

I'm thinking the FO is going to go the cheap way though and draft one instead. Hopefully they'll use the money to spend on a real DE or WR...

theanswer74
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Well, they dont have a center on the roster, so its not a surprise that they are talking to centers.

Mahdi
02-20-2009, 12:03 PM
we were already oneof the biggest if not the biggest OL already last year and that didn't do much. Our qb's were still harrassed .
I dont agree with that assessment at all. Our QBs had insane amounts of time to throw the football on a consistent basis. Yes there were times when players got through for easy sacks but that is true for every OL. The Bills have one of the best pass protecting lines in the league.

X-Era
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Romes, Im going to add these names to a thread in the Scouting Zone for all team interviews, thanks for the info!
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=169191

So, to be honest, could we put who the Bills taked to at the top? I could give two ****s about any of the rest ofthe teams. Just my opinion.

Or just leave this thread.

X-Era
02-20-2009, 05:20 PM
So, now that I think about it again...

We are talking with the top C draftees... does that mean we want our new starting C to be a rookie? Would we honestly take a top rated rookie C AND pay for a starting C?

I want a rookie C, but can a rookie go up against the Pats DL? Or Jenkins? Twice a year?

Romes
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Bills also met with...

TE - Dan Gronkowski - Maryland
http://www.wgr550.com/Combine-Coverage---Day-3/3892567

WR - Austin Collie -BYU
http://www.wgr550.com/Combine-Coverage---Day-3/3892567

jamze132
02-21-2009, 01:00 AM
There will be only 2 OC's gone by the end of Round 2 at most. That will leave 5 still readily available who would all be instant upgrades.
I am willing to bet you are wrong. Wanna take me up on that offer? 10,000 Zbs

jamze132
02-21-2009, 01:07 AM
There are a good 5 or 6 Centers in this year's draft...it has more depth than usual at this position this year - thankfully for us...although if we get a vet, we may not care.

I'm thinking the FO is going to go the cheap way though and draft one instead. Hopefully they'll use the money to spend on a real DE or WR...
Which is why they are going to drop off the board like flies once Mack and Unger are gone...

Bmax
02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Shipley in rd 5 yeah maybe.. It seems to me that the last thing the bills need to do is draft a undersized center Shipley 6-1-306.....We need some size in the interior of our line...Wood , Caldwell or Luigs in rd 3 .. Before drafting Shipley...
Plus the guy has very short arms.. I don't have a problem taking a chance in the later rounds but at least sign a guy for two or three years to play a head of him just in case .. I think that should be the Bills standard practice when trying to fill this position this year.

To block Jenkins and Wilfork twice a year you need size...

Bmax

X-Era
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I heard a LB talking about playing for 3 different teams, he said he talked with the Bills. No idea who he was and I cant figure it out.

Any ideas? DB?

I got it, The Bills talked with Tyrone McKenzie whom I actually like.

I think hes a solid 3rd round OLB type.

justasportsfan
02-22-2009, 09:30 AM
The Bills have one of the best pass protecting lines in the league.
I disagree. what made them look decent at times was trents ability to dink the ball fast. otherwise IMO our lard assed OL is average.

Yasgur's Farm
02-22-2009, 10:00 AM
But go ahead and count out DB or WR in RD1.I don't think I'd count out WR Jeremy Maclin with our 11th... Obviously we'd have to strongly consider CB Jenkins or WR Crabtree if they were to fall that far. Crabtree's injury may come into play.

X-Era
02-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Yep, I was right it was McKenize in an interview that said he had talked with the Bills. I like him and I think he has real upside. I think his hit is that he isnt blow-you-away at any one thing, but hes soldi at most everything.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/lb-mckenzie-has-bills-ties/3dc7a957-58da-406d-b4ba-0bb0eb1973ae

DraftBoy
02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I am willing to bet you are wrong. Wanna take me up on that offer? 10,000 Zbs

What are we betting? That more than two OC's are gone by the end of Round 2?

X-Era
02-22-2009, 03:52 PM

I think 3 will be gone by the end of round 2, but that about 5 of them rate out about the same.

I think its more the teams preference then any real major difference.

To say it another way, I dont think its like OLB which has clear tiers. Theres about 5 that all have a similar grade IMO.

DraftBoy
02-22-2009, 04:01 PM
I think 3 will be gone by the end of round 2, but that about 5 of them rate out about the same.

I think its more the teams preference then any real major difference.

To say it another way, I dont think its like OLB which has clear tiers. Theres about 5 that all have a similar grade IMO.

I still say only two, but it depends on how he defines Unger. I dont list Unger at OC so I dont count him.

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM

I love Mack but I think that Ünger maybe the best center out of this draft when it's all said and done. I put alot of weight into Jamie Dukes opinion on linemen, the big fella knows what he is talking about. He went as far as comparing Ünger to Mangold. It's also interesting how Ünger started his career off as LT at Oregon, he also played OG and C. Personally, I'm onboard the Ünger bandwagon, Mack is fine but I firmly believe that Ünger would be a much better option, jmo.

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I still say only two, but it depends on how he defines Unger. I dont list Unger at OC so I dont count him.

Ünger could probably hold down a job as a tackle, a guard or a center in the NFL, he is probably the most versatile lineman in the entire draft. I'm beginning to think it's more and more less likely for him to be available for us in the 2nd round.

Tatonka
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
heywood-bey just killed it at the combine and has the size we are looking for.. he seems to be boom or bust, but i would rather see a pick like him later than a wr in the first.

ALL D
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Big Mack fan... My pick is still Orakpo if available

psubills62
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
heywood-bey just killed it at the combine and has the size we are looking for.. he seems to be boom or bust, but i would rather see a pick like him later than a wr in the first.

He's still not quite worth the 11th pick, and even if he was, he's a very raw prospect. The reason he's a boom or bust is similar to James Hardy - he has the physical tools, but he's not ready for the NFL. He won't produce until a year or two down the road.

If you want a first-round WR, I'd take either Maclin or maybe Nicks. Nicks isn't worth the 11th pick, but he's exactly what we need: a possession receiver who runs GREAT routes and has great hands.

I personally want to get a WR to replace Parrish in the slot. Someone like Mike Thomas (round 2 or 3), Jarrett Dillard (round 3 or 4), or Deon Butler (round 5 or 6). All these guys are similarly sized, but all run very good routes, have great hands, and good quickness and speed. They'd be able to produce because although they're small, they'd be fine in the slot with Evans, Reed and Johnson taking pressure off of them.

Buffalogic
02-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Wasn't there a show on nickelodian like 15 years ago called the secret world of Alex Mack? lolol

X-Era
02-23-2009, 06:42 AM

Hes a stud... he was underused for the Terps IMO.

Mahdi
02-23-2009, 07:03 AM
I disagree. what made them look decent at times was trents ability to dink the ball fast. otherwise IMO our lard assed OL is average.
Do you not remember JP sitting back there against the Jets and Dolphins for 4-5 seconds at a time and not being able to make a play?

If our QBs would make the throws theyre supposed to make our OL would be considered one of the best at protecting the QB.

jamze132
02-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes sir. And I am currently counting Unger as an OC which is what he's listed as, isn't he? I understand he may not take a snap at C in the NFL, but if he is being drafted as a C, then that's what we need to go with.

DraftBoy
02-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes sir. And I am currently counting Unger as an OC which is what he's listed as, isn't he? I understand he may not take a snap at C in the NFL, but if he is being drafted as a C, then that's what we need to go with.

I list him at OT and thats how he'll likely be listed in the BZ guide. If you want to count him as an OC the number goes from 2 to 3. Your call, thats not something new to weasel my way out of the bet. Ive been calling Unger an OT from Day 1 and that has never changed.

DraftBoy
02-23-2009, 07:28 AM
So, to be honest, could we put who the Bills taked to at the top? I could give two ****s about any of the rest ofthe teams. Just my opinion.

Or just leave this thread.

The answer is no, this thread is dedicated to who the Bills talk to. The thread in the Scouting Zone (like the NFL Zone) is dedicated to the entire process. I rarely (if ever) post Bills specific info in that zone for that very reason. It is about the entire draft, not just the Bills draft.

TedMock
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Hes a stud... he was underused for the Terps IMO.

I've been a UMD season ticket holder for several years. Heyward-Bey is a stud. Maryland has had terrible QB'ing since he's been there.

jamze132
02-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I list him at OT and thats how he'll likely be listed in the BZ guide. If you want to count him as an OC the number goes from 2 to 3. Your call, thats not something new to weasel my way out of the bet. Ive been calling Unger an OT from Day 1 and that has never changed.
I think you need to go by what is listed from the NFL. Don't worry about the bet...