PDA

View Full Version : On a Chilly Day, Plummer Feels Right at Home

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 02:37 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- You're not in Tempe anymore.

A raw, 39-degree May afternoon greeted Jake Plummer and the Broncos as they took to the practice fields for the first day of the Broncos' weekend mini-camp, and the first practice snaps of the free-agent signee's tenure as the Broncos' starting quarterback after six seasons in the balmy climes of Arizona with the Cardinals.

VIDEO: REPORT FROM MINI-CAMP, DAY 1
VIDEO: SHANAHAN TALKS ABOUT PORTIS
"I remember a lot of the camps in the last six years, wearing the little hand warmer and sweatsuits," he joked. "But hey, that's part of being here. It's a nice change, and I'm ready for it."

As a native of Boise, Idaho, Plummer knows of such conditions, and with the Cardinals, he led the warm-weather birds to victories in equally chilly environments such as at Philadelphia. So the afternoon -- teeth-chattering in its chill -- was not exactly something that was an issue -- certainly not as much as the fact that it was the first time together on the field running plays for he and his new teammates since Dec. 29 at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

"The first pass we threw in team (drills), it looked like there were probably 20 defenders out there," Plummer said. "That's just part of not seeing that, not being used to it."

But as the opening practice plowed onward, Plummer looked right at home in a blue jersey and under skies as gray as a sweatshirt.

"I thought he did an excellent job," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's been working extremely hard for the last month and a half to feel comfortable with the system, comfortable with the terminology. But there's nothing like going out for the first time and actually spending time with the guys and running plays."

In team drills, Plummer displayed the familiar mobility and nimbleness he had demonstrated so many times during his career with the Cardinals and at Arizona State prior to that. But as far as executing play-action in the Broncos scheme, he recognizes the need to learn the proper method, which is why he plans to lean heavily on the senior member of the Broncos, backup quarterback Steve Beuerlein.

"It's a new type of offense as far as play-action, so I've got to watch him," Plummer said. "He knows what he's doing. If I watch him, I'll learn quicker than if I just try and learn on my own."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/front-features3/index.php3?clmn=/front-features3/050903_1.prm&go=shownews