PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan: Portis Contract Issue 'Blown out of Proportion'

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 02:38 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- While the on-field focus was on the debut of the Broncos' class of rookies and the performance of new quarterback Jake Plummer, the focus away from it was on the status of Clinton Portis.

VIDEO: REPORT FROM MINI-CAMP, DAY 1
VIDEO: SHANAHAN TALKS ABOUT PORTIS
However, it wasn't his absence from the offseason conditioning workouts that was the primary issue regarding last season's Offensive Rookie of the Year, but his contract status, which remains status quo -- but not for a lack of an offer on the Broncos' part.

"I talked to his agent," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "And I said, 'Hey, I'd love to give Clinton Portis the same deal we gave Terrell Davis or Mike Anderson. But for some reason, you said no.' But you can't have your cake and eat it too, that's the nature of the business.

"Every once in a while -- when someone really performs at a (high) level -- we'll do something to give a person a little bit extra to help them out, give them a little bit more security, and in return, we get something, usually a couple of years or three years," Shanahan added. "We've done that with Terrell Davis, we've done that with Mike Anderson."

But according to Shanahan, the overture was rejected.

"I gave him a good deal, and (Portis' agent) just said no," Shanahan said.

All the while, Portis maintained that any kind of training-camp holdout was not an option.

"I'll be at training camp. (Holding out is) not going to solve anything," Portis said. "If I'd have been in need of money, holding out from training camp wouldn't have been a smart thing; that would mean I wouldn't collect a check at all."

Reporting on time would be a wise move, according to the head coach.

"I think this is blown out of proportion," Shanahan said. "If he decided that he didn't want to play, we're going to have another back run for 1,200 or 1,500 yards anyhow. And he's also going to have to sit out for three years before he can play again. So basically he's got no choice, and that's the nature of this business. That's where it's at."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/front-features3/index.php3?clmn=/front-features3/050903_3.prm&go=shownews